NBA Scout: UConn is better than you think | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NBA Scout: UConn is better than you think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From Zagsblog, found on Twitter.

A veteran NBA scout who recently visited UConn’s practice told SNY.tv that the Huskies are “better than you think” and are loaded with NBA prospects.

“I was shocked at how good they were,” the scout said. “I never expected them to be like this.”

The reigning NCAA champions lost several key players, including star point guard Shabazz Napier and athletic forward DeAndre Daniels, but the scout counts Amida Brimah, Daniel Hamilton and Ryan Boatright as potential future pros.

The scout also counted Sam Cassell Jr., Rodney Purvis, Omar Calhoun and Phillip Nolan as prospects to watch.​

I love it when so-called experts see something they previously knew nothing about and declare, "they're better than you think" (or "no one is talking about..." or "this came as a complete surprise...").

Not true - we're not better than *I* think, we're better than *you* think.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Purvis might be our best athlete on the squad, when he hits the lane, watch out! However, with the very little tape I've seen of him, his jumpshot will need some work, my take is the scout thinks the same. If he develops a consistent midrange, NBA bound he is...(yoda voice)

He shot 38.5% on 78 attempts from 3 at NC State. After a year and a half off of working on his game, I'd be surprised if he wasn't north of 40% this year.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
He shot 38.5% on 78 attempts from 3 at NC State. After a year and a half off of working on his game, I'd be surprised if he wasn't north of 40% this year.
Very true, I'm well aware of his 3 point prowess, however, I was referring to his "midrange" game, to keep defenders honest when he attempts to drive to the rim.... I wanna see a "stop & pop" out of him

Reaction Score
scout was not paying attenseeonee

LubiN is a huge get

he has veryvery serious skills

heed dee rockski

regarding purv: he has mucho work to do;dont let burg boy tag influence you-check final destination of hamberg dudes over last 5 yrs

i am sure you will be surprised b/c you believe the JokE talking head

Reaction Score
We know that KO is a great in-game coach (adjustments against Florida, for example), but he's also shown that he's a great recruiter. Of the players mentioned above, he is responsible for bringing in Brimah, DHam, Sam Cassell, and Purvis.

Furthermore, in the case of Brimah, he's showing that he can develop a player, just like his hall-of-fame mentor, Jim Calhoun.

Reaction Score
Yea it's a little disconcerting. I was hoping to have the "Facey is the most improved player on the team" reports by now.
I think Facey is on a trajectory much like Nolan's. KF should be much improved by the end of this year but will still need to get stronger to have a bigger impact. I expect him to be really solid by his junior year.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I think Facey is on a trajectory much like Nolan's. KF should be much improved by the end of this year but will still need to get stronger to have a bigger impact. I expect him to be really solid by his junior year.

It seems like Facey has a higher level of skill and athleticism than Nolan, where Nolan has the advantage in body composition.

Reaction Score
Nolan couldn't walk and chew gum the beginning of his freshman year.
Only his size and our desperation made him a marginal D1 recruit.
His growth has been borderline unbelievable.
Facey was much futher along, he was pretty highly touted out of high school.
The thing that concerns me is he was a little older and might have maxed out.
If he developed anywhere near Nolan people would be talking NBA this year.
Facey is a concern as the 4 is a weak spot as of now.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I said it before (and got some flack) but you just don't hear the buzz about Facey & Lubin that you hear about the other players (although Chief is big on Lubin). Looks like we will be weaker at the 4. Still early and I don't think we need as much at the 4 this year.

Reaction Score
We know that KO is a great in-game coach (adjustments against Florida, for example), but he's also shown that he's a great recruiter. Of the players mentioned above, he is responsible for bringing in Brimah, DHam, Sam Cassell, and Purvis.

Furthermore, in the case of Brimah, he's showing that he can develop a player, just like his hall-of-fame mentor, Jim Calhoun.

He also brought in Phil Nolan.

Reaction Score
scout was not paying attenseeonee

LubiN is a huge get

he has veryvery serious skills

heed dee rockski

Alrighty, that was some really special typing and spelling. Even when I get on this board after a glass of whiskey, I still know how to use my spell as I type function. I can tell when something is spelled wrong, because there's a red underline under the word, just like I can see now under most of your words.

Secondly, you've convinced me that Lubin is a one and done for certain.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Not sure about that. Nolan was a classic project kid that we've brought in time and again. Tall, rangy, with a body that had the potential to fill out a bit.

We must be watching a different Nolan.

Reaction Score
Yea, Nolan was not top 100 but he was top 150 and had plenty of solid offers. I don't know where "marginal D1 recruit" comes from.

Reaction Score

Marginal?

Haws. Have you seem much basketball ??

Go watch a Siena Canisius game. Fact is Nolan had to develop. Several measures of Hilton Armstrong.

Reaction Score
This Nolan > Armstrong thing is confusing to me. I can't find a single way that sophomore Nolan outplayed freshman Armstrong.

Reaction Score

What is this incredible Phil Nolan development that you keep referencing? Phil Nolan could barely make a layup last year. Do you remember how many times he had wide open dunks and got swatted?

Hopefully we will see some improvement this year, but last year he made strides defensively and that's about it. Offensively and rebounding, he left a lot to be desired.

pj

Reaction Score
Armstrong had an extra inch or two, and more quickness. I like Phil's scrappiness and ability to put on weight. Armstrong was better at filling the stat sheet but I think Phil is going to round out into a very nice player, and has a shot to make the NBA as a PF. This year will tell since lack of strength was the major defect holding him back. Getting some playing time at PF, his natural position, will also help him.

From what Phil was coming into UConn, this is a tremendous job of player development and a credit to the UConn coaching staff and Phil's hard work.

Reaction Score
Silly

You're comparing Hilton Armstrong to Phillip Nolan to Antric Klaiber. Except they are all 6'10 (or bigger). You're saying that they came in unpolished & they had to be developed. Armstrong was not very good his Freshman year. The skillset for Nolan won't ever approach HA by his graduation. But it's an arc & he's got more improvement coming.

Having said that ... A 6-10 guy at 250 D1 programs would love to gave Nolan's assets.

Reaction Score
Silly

You're comparing Hilton Armstrong to Phillip Nolan to Antric Klaiber. Except they are all 6'10 (or bigger). You're saying that they came in unpolished & they had to be developed. Armstrong was not very good his Freshman year. The skillset for Nolan won't ever approach HA by his graduation. But it's an arc & he's got more improvement coming.

Having said that ... A 6-10 guy at 250 D1 programs would love to gave Nolan's assets.

Armstrong wasn't great as a freshman, but he was better than Nolan was as a freshman or as a sophomore.

Reaction Score
Hilton Armstrong averaged 9 to 12 minutes a game from FR thru Junior year. Never scored more than 3.4 ppg.

To my unprofessional eye, he always looked like he had more potential than Philip Nolan ... Nolan's Got more play.

Again - NOT a marginal D1 player at all. Nolan would play big minutes at 320 D1 schools & he can get better.

Reaction Score
No mention of Samuels, but I think he's already shown he's a heck of a player. But really, this team is deep. No weak link I can see.

He gave us some awesome minutes in the tourney last year though..... Those players are EXTREMELY valuable off the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom