NBA Scout: UConn is better than you think | The Boneyard

NBA Scout: UConn is better than you think

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
From Zagsblog, found on Twitter.

A veteran NBA scout who recently visited UConn’s practice told SNY.tv that the Huskies are “better than you think” and are loaded with NBA prospects.

“I was shocked at how good they were,” the scout said. “I never expected them to be like this.”

The reigning NCAA champions lost several key players, including star point guard Shabazz Napier and athletic forward DeAndre Daniels, but the scout counts Amida Brimah, Daniel Hamilton and Ryan Boatright as potential future pros.

The scout also counted Sam Cassell Jr., Rodney Purvis, Omar Calhoun and Phillip Nolan as prospects to watch.​

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
so basically the whole team..? - minus the walk ons..

No mention of Samuels, but I think he's already shown he's a heck of a player. But really, this team is deep. No weak link I can see.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
No mention of Samuels, but I think he's already shown he's a heck of a player. But really, this team is deep. No weak link I can see.
Terrence Samuel will not be an NBA pro. He just won't be. He's a great guy to have come off the bench when you need a spark and could develop into a great college player, but the NBA is not in his future.

Reaction Score
Terrence Samuel will not be an NBA pro. He just won't be. He's a great guy to have come off the bench when you need a spark and could develop into a great college player, but the NBA is not in his future.

I disagree, but I wouldn't be so bold as to say, "Terrence Samuel will definitely [not] be an NBA pro. He just will be [won't be]. He's gonna be a starter and be the man [a great guy to have come off the bench when you need a spark and could develop into a great college player], and the NBA is certainly [but the NBA is not] in his future." Such a statement would be as ridiculous as yours. We just can't say definitively - he could, he might not.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
I disagree, but I wouldn't be so bold as to say, "Terrence Samuel will definitely [not] be an NBA pro. He just will be [won't be]. He's gonna be a starter and be the man [a great guy to have come off the bench when you need a spark and could develop into a great college player], and the NBA is certainly [but the NBA is not] in his future." Such a statement would be as ridiculous as yours. We just can't say definitively - he could, he might not.
The potential just isn't there right now. But you're right, who knows what could happen.

Reaction Score
The potential just isn't there right now. But you're right, who knows what could happen.

That, I can agree with. Personally, I hope he makes it because I was always a fan of Samuels' game, even early on when he did not get any minutes. Ironically, Omar being unproductive helped propel Samuels and even Giffey as both got bigger roles. Just based on pure observation, the team seems to be better with Samuels on the floor. I don't have stats, but my bet is that he has one of the higher +points on the team (+scoring over oppenent when in the game).

Reaction Score
Never slept on Omar... He's a player... rough go of it last year ... and, again, I go back to him coming off the pre-season surgery he had before last year started.. I'm rooting for him to have an impressive bounce back year....

Reaction Score
Where was Omar ranked coming out of high school, I forget... Top 30ish?

Reaction Score
Ollie shot a career .262 % from 3pt range at UConn. Could develop into a great college player? The great college player equating to no NBA future is contradictory. Samuel has 1 big plus. His body/size is NBA ready. He is far from an NBA prospect now no question. I think the biggest jump for Samuel will be his Junior year. Samuel has a big time work ethic. The kid is beyond a Hungry Husky. This kid is gonna eat at UConn like its a Thanksgiving buffet for 1 by his Junior year. Junior year break out for TSam.

Reaction Score
Calhoun is the X factor this year. If he gets hot and can be a reliable 6th man we're in very good shape.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Kind of surprised Purvis wasn't in the first group of potential pros

Probably just giving leeway for the fact he hasn't played in more than a year and a half. No biggie imo.

Reaction Score
I hope Phil knows he on a watch list. Omar was a stud coming out of high school so that's not surprising. We should be a very good team this year.

Reaction Score
Terrance Samuel has a similar game to Kevin Ollie ,
Never say never,heart and determination can make and average talent into a valuable commodity.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I hope every Husky gets a shot at the NBA. But realistically, not all of them will. I'd love to seem TSam do it. Know he's got skills and size that translate well, but needs a work ethic and desire like KO to make it happen. Even so, it might be in Europe, but TSam will make a living playing bball after he graduates. He's certainly better at his position than a lot of former Huskies who made/make a decent income overseas were at theirs. Heck, EJ Harrison turned the 3rd PG position for one year (championship year of course) into a 12 year career in Great Britain. I could easily see TSam having this kind of impact down the road if he never gets a look in the NBA.

Just watching that mixtape from EJ, and one of the teams they play against has a logo on the seat of the pants on their home whites. Looks like they all dropped a deuce in their trunks.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I like how on my phone the title of this thread was:
NBA scout: Uconn is better than you.....

Should be the masthead on every other teams message board

I wish I had the skills to graffiti hack this over their logos.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Honestly, I don't care about the NBA comments, it will be what it will be. What excited me was...they're good. Really good. I think we expected/hoped that would be the case. But this outside corroboration is nice. National people seem to be discounting the Huskies as usual.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Kind of surprised Purvis wasn't in the first group of potential pros
Purvis might be our best athlete on the squad, when he hits the lane, watch out! However, with the very little tape I've seen of him, his jumpshot will need some work, my take is the scout thinks the same. If he develops a consistent midrange, NBA bound he is...(yoda voice)

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Honestly, I don't care about the NBA comments, it will be what it will be. What excited me was...they're good. Really good. I think we expected/hoped that would be the case. But this outside corroboration is nice. National people seem to be discounting the Huskies as usual.

This normally works out extremely well for us.

mr-burns-wallpaper-790221gif.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member