NBA Draft Combine | Page 12 | The Boneyard

NBA Draft Combine

caw

Reaction Score
Wow you guys are right, one guys got an extra 2 inches
It’s one of the reasons they measure w/o shoes now because players were getting 1-2.5 inches and it was a mess because of how non-uniform it was.

Average sole thickness is about 1-1.5 for basketball shoes. Bet any sneakers you wear are also close.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Sure. He's a PG in the modern game. The defense will allow him to stay on the few smaller quicker guys in the league. But the size isn't an issue, that's the way the game is going. Hurley calls them facilitators.
Yeah, that was always my point. He’s a natural pg, facilitator, not a 2G.

That was blatantly argued with me. That’s all I was referencing was the boneyard argument, so I honestly don’t know if you’re agreeing or disagreeing with me by the quote reply.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I think reasonable people can disagree with Newtons decision, the only real risk is an injury making a very interested team back off a 2nd round promise. Otherwise he coulda played well and helped his stock like the Creighton kid today.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
If Castle went to Auburn or Georgia and handled their PG duties, I believe he’d be the favorite to go first overall. He sacrificed a lot taking a backseat to Newton, we all know his strong character and patience will pay off down the line.

Reaction Score
Am i correct in that yesterday after AK shot well in a 3pt drill it was assumed he's gone. Now after 5 on 5 it's assumed he's returning...

Reaction Score
Sounds like he's aiming for Dejounte Murray. Really good player, I like that for him.
This I am a PG thing is dumb. NBA doesn’t play like that unless you are Chris Paul.

He is a combo guard who can handle classic pg duties. He can be like Holiday or White, who are on the Celtics. They play both play on and off the ball.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Am i correct in that yesterday after AK shot well in a 3pt drill it was assumed he's gone. Now after 5 on 5 it's assumed he's returning...
Someone posted the lowest 5 combine scores and AK's name was on it. That was before the 5 on 5.

Reaction Score
Official Castle measurements:
PLAYER POSHAND LENGTH (INCHES)HAND WIDTH
(INCHES)
HEIGHT W/O SHOESSTANDING REACHWEIGHT (LBS)WINGSPAN
Stephon CastleSG8.758.756' 5.50'' 8' 6.00''210.06' 9.00''
What's the size of the hand of a normal man?

Reaction Score
Looks like this is basically just measurement and testing numbers. If you follow the NFL draft stuff and look at spider charts, that's basically what this is. Not necessarily surprising about Cam and Alex - we know both are much better basketball players than they are from a measurement/athletic standpoint. Coleman Hawkins surprises me a bit here as I always thought he had the reputation of a plus athlete.
Yeah, this is much like the "Relative Athletic Score" that Kent Lee Platte came up with for NFL Combine results.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah, that was always my point. He’s a natural pg, facilitator, not a 2G.

That was blatantly argued with me. That’s all I was referencing was the boneyard argument, so I honestly don’t know if you’re agreeing or disagreeing with me by the quote reply.
I’m agreeing with you. And with Steph.

Reaction Score
I think Newton got bad advice from his agent. Karaban and a couple other guys that are fringe first round picks are playing, and Newton isn't even a lock to get drafted. I don't think that's going to go over well with teams.
Except the team that already talked to him about picking him.

Reaction Score
The amount of stock some people put into those shooting drills was silly. Most reasonably good shooters shoot well in dry drills at not game speed. I'm sure scouts want to see foot work, release point/release speed, etc... Obviously it's nice when the ball goes in but it didn't suddenly boost AK an entire round. I think the general school of thought too is that AKs shot and release would need to be tweaked in the NBA. He rarely shoots over players and needs time to get his shot off. I believe Newton got similar feedback after the combine and workouts last year.

I think it's always been more likely than not that he comes back but I could be completely out to lunch on that thought.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Anyone who saw his HS film and passing ability and didn’t think PG didn’t know what they were watching. Kid is an elite and effortless decision maker/playmaker.

He definitely had to sacrifice more than anyone on the team this year. Shoutout to him for having that kind of maturity as a top 10 one and done freshman and stepping up to his role. Special person and talent.
I hope the league values that attitude as well as his physical attributes. It deserves to be rewarded.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I did. Clingan is better at the things NBA teams value in a younger package.
Absolutely. That's said, he's not a polished offensive player at all. Some team will gamble on that (almost all picks are a gamble), but I really hoped he'd make a jump in his skill at the rim from freshman year and he didn't. He's also not as mobile as some here seem to think. Ahead of Edey for sure, but he's not Joel Embiid out there.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Anyone who saw his HS film and passing ability and didn’t think PG didn’t know what they were watching. Kid is an elite and effortless decision maker/playmaker.

He definitely had to sacrifice more than anyone on the team this year. Shoutout to him for having that kind of maturity as a top 10 one and done freshman and stepping up to his role. Special person and talent.

Agreed, but it wasn’t bad or dopey posters saying this. It was smart bball people.

Reaction Score
Absolutely. That's said, he's not a polished offensive player at all. Some team will gamble on that (almost all picks are a gamble), but I really hoped he'd make a jump in his skill at the rim from freshman year and he didn't. He's also not as mobile as some here seem to think. Ahead of Edey for sure, but he's not Joel Embiid out there.

You're comparing him to one of the best bigs to ever play the game now?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You're comparing him to one of the best bigs to ever play the game now?
I'm comparing him to the prototype in the modern NBA. The NBA has trended away from guys like Clingan for years, towards guys like Bam. The few that move more like him are generally elite on the offensive side. If his 3 develops, and it should, Brook Lopez is a decent comp for DC, enough to make him a lottery pick.

Reaction Score
Someone posted the lowest 5 combine scores and AK's name was on it. That was before the 5 on 5.
That was from a football combine stats guy who didn't take into account things like shooting, passing, dribbling. It was purely how high you jump and how fast you can do a shuttle.

Those scores are more relevant maybe for defense and how quickly you can move your feet. Beyond that, pretty useless. He did the same exercise for previous combines and it showed players with the highest scores did not stand out in the NBA. Neither did players with the lowest scores.

Reaction Score
Welp, crap.

Now I feel old. I'm used to someone big-timing another poster in the "I've been a fan longer than you" category with a Walt Dropo, Wes B, Tony Hansen or Fieldhouse reference.

I did not realize the Dream Season was now a line of demarcation for Husky fans.

I'm tired and I'm going to take a nap.
I was there watching in the tall grass behind a dune as the first guard in UConn history was conceived on a starlit night in June.

Reaction Score
He did improve, if you take out his dunks he went from 57% at the rim last year to 63% at the rim this year. And that was on almost double the amount of attempts, 98 freshman year vs 161 last year

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom