My thoughts on the remaining 2023 recruits. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

My thoughts on the remaining 2023 recruits.

Reaction Score
Random fact, but if Williams decides to go somewhere besides UCONN, it'll be the first time since 2013/2014 that UCONN has missed out on #1 recruits in back to back years.

My guess on where kids will land:
Mikayla Williams-LSU or South Carolina
JuJu Watkins-no idea. Has she announced any finalists?
Ciera Toomey-UCONN
Breya Cunningham-Oregon or UCLA
Madison Booker-Louisville
Malaysia Fulwiley-South Carolina.
Agree with all except Booker. For some reason I think Tennessee for her. And Watkins possibly stays home at UCLA or USC.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Agree with all except Booker. For some reason I think Tennessee for her. And Watkins possibly stays home at UCLA or USC.
If Watkins stays home and Cunningham chooses UCLA too, they'll have a very potent PG, wing, and post trio of those 2 plus Rice for 3 years.

Reaction Score
If Watkins stays home and Cunningham chooses UCLA too, they'll have a very potent PG, wing, and post trio of those 2 plus Rice for 3 years.
And don't forget in that 2023 class they already have PG Jada Williams coming. As for Cunningham, despite the two year difference in class she seems very close to her HS teammate Paopao at Oregon.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
And don't forget in that 2023 class they already have PG Jada Williams coming. As for Cunningham, despite the two year difference in class she seems very close to her HS teammate Paopao at Oregon.
Keep in mind as @EricLA peeped us to a long time ago- Cunningham is good friends with Ice Brady. There was also something in the last interview the way Cunningham talked about receiving her UCONN offer. Her reaction was very much like Amari DeBerry who said she started crying and Cierra Toomey who said things "got real" once she got her UCONN offer. I not giving up on any of these kids until I find out they are not planning on visiting UCONN or until they sign else where. BTW I'm just don't see how UCONN ends up with only 2 or 3 players in this class that is so deep in talent.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind as @EricLA peeped us to a long time ago- Cunningham is good friends with Ice Brady. There was also something in the last interview the way Cunningham talked about receiving her UCONN offer. Her reaction was very much like Amari DeBerry who said she started crying and Cierra Toomey who said things "got real" once she got her UCONN offer. I not giving up on any of these kids until I find out they are not planning on visiting UCONN or until they sign else where. BTW I'm just don't see how UCONN ends up with only 2 or 3 players in this class that is so deep in talent.
Looks like she might be closer friends with UCLA bound Jada Williams. I can't find an article to explain the backstory but Williams transferred out of her Missouri HS to play with Cunningham at La Jolla Country Day this season and next. Could be some serious team building going on. ;)

Reaction Score
I'm probably a little more greedy & think UCONN needs to also snag one of the very talented wings in the class from among Watkins, M. Williams, Kitts, Prosper or S.Williams or Booker.
Correct and I agree. My list is of the remaking top 10. I probably should have mentioned that in my thread title.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I watched that Etiwanda game also Carnac. I enjoyed it. As far as Williams is concerned, you say she has the potential to play for a P5 program. I have heard she is as talented as M. Moore of UConn fame. Coco seems to think she is the player UConn should get.
I don't follow the recruitment wars as much as some of others here in the yard do. I know Coco likes her. If she's being compared to the great Maya Moore, that's good enough for me. I would love to see Williams commit to UConn.

Reaction Score
I would love to get Mikayla as well but would settle for her NOT ending up at South Carolina. Ole Miss would be preferable to LSU after that.

Concur that she seems to be a Maya Moore-level talent thus far in her teenage performance & development, from what I've seen on YouTube videos.

Finally, would like to see Kate Koval @ UConn in 3 years. 2023 class seems light on quality legit pivots (unlike versatile big's like Ciera Toomey). Cunningham is good but I think she stays on the Left Coast & she also lacks imposing height.

Observing the sheer size & frontline depth of elite programs like Stanford & South Carolina that we will be butting heads with in the foreseeable future for national supremacy, I think Geno needs to prioritize old school center size/height/frame in his recruiting. It's great to have tall athletes but they have to be willing/able to handle physicality in the paint common at the highest level of D1 competition.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Mikayla Williams LSU
JuJu Watkins USC/ Arizona
Ciera Toomey (C) UConn (please God and baby Jesus!)
Breya Cunningham Oregon
Madison Booker Ole Miss/Tenn
Malaysia Fulwiley South Carolina.

Arnold, Shade and Toomey for 2023 sounds good to me!

Reaction Score
I'd worry less about landing another prospect based on their ranking. I'd try to get good fits for the team. I think we could use another top post prospect. There may not be that ideal person available for 2023 but we should be targeting a top post for 2024 then. I see Ciera as more of a 4. I think we are fine with Dorka as the primary post next year but that is the area we need the most going forward. I'd also look for a great defensive talent at guard and someone who can run the floor like CW. We all marvel at Paige's long passes but it sure helps that CW can go up and get those passes also. Great quarterbacks really benefit from great receivers and we need a shut down defender or 2. It's all about match ups. A big, talented post like Boston presents huge match up problems for us going forward. Deberry and Piath are going to get pushed around pretty well so when we play some top teams we are going to need a strong post. When I watch Ice play it seems she hangs around the foul line shooting jump shots a lot. She has a lot of talent but she has a ton to learn as well. How strong is she defensively in terms of moving her feet? She definitely is physically strong and will get PT but she's going to have to get in great shape and learn conventional post defense. She probably hasn't faced that many top post talents yet, as most high school players of her stature probably do not. Ayanna is even more raw and undeveloped. She has tremendous physical ability but she doesn't play a conventional post either. They both fit the profile more of a PF.

Reaction Score
If Liv and Dorka both leave we are in a world of hurt. The 1 proven big that we have is Edwards and she is only 1 inch taller than Caroline. Amari and Piath are not ready as of today. Will they be ready next year? The only other options are 2 high school kids. Really? Depending on high school kids to play big time D1 post positions right out of the box? If Geno can snag a good, proven big from the portal he's got to go for it. Am I missing something here?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If Liv and Dorka both leave we are in a world of hurt. The 1 proven big that we have is Edwards and she is only 1 inch taller than Caroline. Amari and Piath are not ready as of today. Will they be ready next year? The only other options are 2 high school kids. Really? Depending on high school kids to play big time D1 post positions right out of the box? If Geno can snag a good, proven big from the portal he's got to go for it. Am I missing something here?
I just thing you are underestimating the number of Freshman that actually come to UCONN ready to play, start or be a significant contributor. It has been actually quite stellar: Saniya Chong, Kia Nurse, KLS + Napheesa Collier, Crystal Dangerfield, Christyn Williams + ONO, Anna Makurat, Nika Muhl + Paige Bueckers +AE and Azzi Fudd + Caroline - all were starters or worst case 6th man as Freshman. Ice Brady and Ayanna Patterson both have the potential to be contributors, start or worse case be 6th person on the team next year. As far as a big that is UCONN ready becoming available via the transfer portal that would depend on the quality of the big and something UCONN should consider regardless if Dorka returns or not.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
High school kid to play big time D1 post position? DePaul found one and she was not ranked in the top 25.

Reaction Score
At some point after the recruiting season, would be interesting to see who our members view as the top recruiters in women's basketball. I have always given UConn's assistants a great deal of credit for getting such powerful classes. Fargas a good example of one of the best out there.

It will be interesting to see how successful the former UConn ass't coaches are at landing top talent at Vanderbilt and Wisconsin. They were certainly effective recruiters for Connecticut...

Reaction Score
I just thing you are underestimating the number of Freshman that actually come to UCONN ready to play, start or be a significant contributor. It has been actually quite stellar: Saniya Chong, Kia Nurse, KLS + Napheesa Collier, Crystal Dangerfield, Christyn Williams + ONO, Anna Makurat, Nika Muhl + Paige Bueckers +AE and Azzi Fudd + Caroline - all were starters or worst case 6th man as Freshman. Ice Brady and Ayanna Patterson both have the potential to be contributors, start or worse case be 6th person on the team next year. As far as a big that is UCONN ready becoming available via the transfer portal that would depend on the quality of the big and something UCONN should consider regardless if Dorka returns or not.
I hear with what you are saying, however Chong is a real bad example and it's a stretch to call Makurat a high school freshman when she came to UConn. The others are good examples. For every good example there's at least one who was not ready, especially post players. All I'm saying is that a proven, experienced big from the portal would be a good thing. If 1 or 2 of the incoming freshmen (or Amari / Piath) prove to be a good backup to Edwards, so much the better. Of course Dorka could come back and make the whole situation better. Let's hope.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I hear with what you are saying, however Chong is a real bad example and it's a stretch to call Makurat a high school freshman when she came to UConn. The others are good examples. For every good example there's at least one who was not ready, especially post players. All I'm saying is that a proven, experienced big from the portal would be a good thing. If 1 or 2 of the incoming freshmen (or Amari / Piath) prove to be a good backup to Edwards, so much the better. Of course Dorka could come back and make the whole situation better. Let's hope.
I'm not sure what would make Saniya a bad example. Saniya Chong played in 39 games and started 4 games as a freshman for UCONN. Saniya's freshman season was more productive than Moriah Jefferson's freshman season and Saniya was a better 3pt shooter early on. BTW Makurat was only a few months older that Paige and the same age as Caroline when she arrived at UCONN. There is also quite a bit of recency bias in your statement regarding post not being ready. Piath and Amari are the exceptions regarding post players coming to UCONN not ready. I'm in full agreement that a proven experienced big from the portal would be a good thing.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Dolson was a starter from day one.
Almost. Dolson became a starter in game 2 it was against Baylor. The first game of the season was against Holy Cross and it was Heather Buck that got the start. Samarie Walker is yet another day 1 ready to play UCONN big who briefly replaced Dolson as a freshman starter before deciding to transfer.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what would make Saniya a bad example. Saniya Chong played in 39 games and started 4 games as a freshman for UCONN. Saniya's freshman season was more productive than Moriah Jefferson's freshman season and Saniya was a better 3pt shooter early on. BTW Makurat was only a few months older that Paige and the same age as Caroline when she arrived at UCONN. There is also quite a bit of recency bias in your statement regarding post not being ready. Piath and Amari are the exceptions regarding post players coming to UCONN not ready. I'm in full agreement that a proven experienced big from the portal would be a good thing.
Maybe I'm being a little unfair to Saniya. She had a very good senior year, but in my opinion it took her 3 years to get there. Anna had experience in Europe that a typical high school kid does not have.

In any event, I was commenting on post players. Lacking a gift from the portal and if someone in Europe throws money at Dorka to leave, Let's hope 1 of the 4, Amari, Piath, Ice, or Ayanna, or some combination of the 4, prove to be a good backup to Edwards. Aubrey coming back would also help, but she's not a big post player.

Reaction Score
I would love to get Mikayla as well but would settle for her NOT ending up at South Carolina. Ole Miss would be preferable to LSU after that.

Concur that she seems to be a Maya Moore-level talent thus far in her teenage performance & development, from what I've seen on YouTube videos.

Finally, would like to see Kate Koval @ UConn in 3 years. 2023 class seems light on quality legit pivots (unlike versatile big's like Ciera Toomey). Cunningham is good but I think she stays on the Left Coast & she also lacks imposing height.

Observing the sheer size & frontline depth of elite programs like Stanford & South Carolina that we will be butting heads with in the foreseeable future for national supremacy, I think Geno needs to prioritize old school center size/height/frame in his recruiting. It's great to have tall athletes but they have to be willing/able to handle physicality in the paint common at the highest level of D1 competition.
While I know size matters in certain situations I believe that if the player is willing to be highly aggressive with a mind towards positioning she can offset the couple inches given up in height. Aaliyah Edwards is a good example of this and an even better one is Depaul‘s Morrow who is only 6 foot 2 and out rebounds almost anyone she plays. Her speed and aggressiveness along with her rebounding IQ clearly offsets her deficiency in height. Watching some of The 6 foot five true centers many are much slower footed and get out hustled to many of the rebounds. Other than Being posted up by a taller true center with good post moves a 6 foot three aggressive widebodied Center can do just as much damage or more.

Reaction Score
While I know size matters in certain situations I believe that if the player is willing to be highly aggressive with a mind towards positioning she can offset the couple inches given up in height. Aaliyah Edwards is a good example of this and an even better one is Depaul‘s Morrow who is only 6 foot 2 and out rebounds almost anyone she plays. Her speed and aggressiveness along with her rebounding IQ clearly offsets her deficiency in height. Watching some of The 6 foot five true centers many are much slower footed and get out hustled to many of the rebounds. Other than Being posted up by a taller true center with good post moves a 6 foot three aggressive widebodied Center can do just as much damage or more.
Good points, Fossil. This was true of Napheesa Collier as well. But we all recall that UConn was at a deficit inside when only Pheesa was banging against more & bigger posts, e.g. Oregon & Baylor.

My original post should have specified sufficient mobility in large frame. UConn’s most formidable rivals are getting these types of players— tall, athletic, & strong/sturdy.

Geno has been on record saying he prefers “basketball players” that have versatile skill sets at all positions & prioritizes this over sheer size. But to “keep up with the Jones”, UConn will need to continue to add post size/strength as well moving forward in its recruiting.

It is & will continue to be very difficult to beat the likes of South Carolina & Stanford if UConn cannot hold its own on the backboard & in the paint— including enough such depth to match these opponents.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good points, Fossil. This was true of Napheesa Collier as well. But we all recall that UConn was at a deficit inside when only Pheesa was banging against more & bigger posts, e.g. Oregon & Baylor.

My original post should have specified sufficient mobility in large frame. UConn’s most formidable rivals are getting these types of players— tall, athletic, & strong/sturdy.

Geno has been on record saying he prefers “basketball players” that have versatile skill sets at all positions & prioritizes this over sheer size. But to “keep up with the Jones”, UConn will need to continue to add post size/strength as well moving forward in its recruiting.

It is & will continue to be very difficult to beat the likes of South Carolina & Stanford if UConn cannot hold its own on the backboard & in the paint— including enough such depth to match these opponents.
if UConn is fortunate enough to land Toomey, I'm not worried about the front court...........it may be post by committee, but the skill level and mobility up front will make things very difficult for any of the super big teams......

Reaction Score
Looks like she might be closer friends with UCLA bound Jada Williams. I can't find an article to explain the backstory but Williams transferred out of her Missouri HS to play with Cunningham at La Jolla Country Day this season and next. Could be some serious team building going on. ;)
Backstory article on Jada Williams transfer here: Jada Williams, high school basketball star, is NIL trailblazer - Sports Illustrated
Jada and her mom moved to SD after her mom started getting NIL inquiries from companies. NIL not allowed in high school in MO. California one of a few states that currently allows NIL for HS athletes.

BTW Breya Cunningham plays with ‘22 UCLA Recruit Gabriela Jaquez on Calstars AAU team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom