My thoughts on the remaining 2023 recruits. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

My thoughts on the remaining 2023 recruits.

Reaction Score
Good points, Fossil. This was true of Napheesa Collier as well. But we all recall that UConn was at a deficit inside when only Pheesa was banging against more & bigger posts, e.g. Oregon & Baylor.

My original post should have specified sufficient mobility in large frame. UConn’s most formidable rivals are getting these types of players— tall, athletic, & strong/sturdy.

Geno has been on record saying he prefers “basketball players” that have versatile skill sets at all positions & prioritizes this over sheer size. But to “keep up with the Jones”, UConn will need to continue to add post size/strength as well moving forward in its recruiting.

It is & will continue to be very difficult to beat the likes of South Carolina & Stanford if UConn cannot hold its own on the backboard & in the paint— including enough such depth to match these opponents.
I do agree that all things being equal athletically taller is better and Connecticut has not been great and getting post players. I have deep reservations about our back ups for next year. If Dorka does not return and Connecticut does not get an experienced big from the transfer portal Connecticut will have a difficult season next year In the low post which would create a much lower percentage chance at a national title.

Reaction Score
Good points, Fossil. This was true of Napheesa Collier as well. But we all recall that UConn was at a deficit inside when only Pheesa was banging against more & bigger posts, e.g. Oregon & Baylor.

My original post should have specified sufficient mobility in large frame. UConn’s most formidable rivals are getting these types of players— tall, athletic, & strong/sturdy.

Geno has been on record saying he prefers “basketball players” that have versatile skill sets at all positions & prioritizes this over sheer size. But to “keep up with the Jones”, UConn will need to continue to add post size/strength as well moving forward in its recruiting.

It is & will continue to be very difficult to beat the likes of South Carolina & Stanford if UConn cannot hold its own on the backboard & in the paint— including enough such depth to match these opponents.
I think in particular, the difficulty as you say is playing teams like South Carolina and Stanford if you don't have true C size bigs. We can do fine against 95% of the teams with talented 6-2 and 6-3 players, but having multiple dominant bigs truly seperates the best championship contenders from the pretenders.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what would make Saniya a bad example.
Saniya deserved to be a starter, I didn't understood why she was the one to pay after the Stanford loss.
I think it killed her the next two seasons.
She really bleed blue from early on, was good friend with Stewie.
I think it hurted her self confidence being cut from the starting 5 and that she only recovered self esteem when the big 3 a year older than her were gone.
She could have been a much greater player with more confidence. A Geno loss for me.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Saniya deserved to be a starter, I didn't understood why she was the one to pay after the Stanford loss.
I think it killed her the next two seasons.
She really bleed blue from early on, was good friend with Stewie.
I think it hurted her self confidence being cut from the starting 5 and that she only recovered self esteem when the big 3 a year older than her were gone.
She could have been a much greater player with more confidence. A Geno loss for me.
Saniya loss her starting spot to FRESHMAN Kia Nurse who was not exactly chopped liver. UCONN would go on to win 111 straight games with Kia as a starter. This might be a record or something like that I'm not sure. :cool: I fail to see a "Geno loss" in that decision. BTW Geno made 2 changes to the starting line up after that Stanford Loss, why is it that you never hear poster say poor Kiah Stokes?

Reaction Score
Kia proved she owned it and was certainly a better defender, no doubt.
The loss was in Saniya's confidence, not being the best player she could be, even coming off the bench.
Bench can be good, look at Kiah Stokes, she was every coach 6th (wo)man dream.
But confidence is a must be for a player and that's part of the coach job IMHO

Reaction Score
Hope for Cierra and if so a fourth recuit would be good, my wish would be on Madison Booker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom