My take on Katie Lou | Page 3 | The Boneyard

My take on Katie Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
While it's fun to get excited about our recruits (let's face it at this time of year it's what we have) it's tricky trying to predict what lies ahead for them.

Some of our most anticipated recruits have not had the careers we hoped that they might. Several (Nicole Wolf, Mel Thomas, Caroline Doty...) suffered injuries that interrupted their careers, and some others just did't acheive greatness while here. Who remembers that Charde Houston scored a California state record 3,837 points in High School but averaged fewer than seven points a game as a UCONN senior?

We're used to (and spoiled by) seeing less heralded recruits become All-Americans (in this area Stephanie Dolson and Kara Wolters are the standards by which all others should be judged), but as far as what we can reasonably expect out of each recruit we should be cautious.

Phillyconn said that even Stewie suffered through an adjustment period and that may or not be what happens to KLS (and her terrible twin Ms. Collier), but what I've learned watching Geno coach over the years is that he'll get from a player all that they are willing to give.

This class and the ones to follow will be filled with talent, but after a summer of speculation from board members with a great deal more insight into the relative talents of our new recruits than I have, I have no idea which one will garner the most playing time, or if they will be able to keep any of their upper class teammates on the bench while they play.

In 23 days we'll all begin to get some answers.

Reaction Score
If, you're speculating that KLS, is MUCH better than KML, then we could be looking at the greatest player ever. Give her time before we anoint her. Even BS, took time to get it going. I hope she is the greatest.
I'm suggesting that she has the capability to be BETTER but she has work to do and I'm not sure HOW MUCH better she could possibly be. It just appears with her quicker release, additional size and quickness that there's potential to be VERY, VERY SPECIAL! I hope along with everyone on this site that she succeeds and has us talking in some of the same terms four years from now that we are talking about Stewie! Time will tell!!!!

Reaction Score
While it's fun to get excited about our recruits (let's face it at this time of year it's what we have) it's tricky trying to predict what lies ahead for them.

Some of our most anticipated recruits have not had the careers we hoped that they might. Several (Nicole Wolf, Mel Thomas, Caroline Doty...) suffered injuries that interrupted their careers, and some others just did't acheive greatness while here. Who remembers that Charde Houston scored a California state record 3,837 points in High School but averaged fewer than seven points a game as a UCONN senior?

We're used to (and spoiled by) seeing less heralded recruits become All-Americans (in this area Stephanie Dolson and Kara Wolters are the standards by which all others should be judged), but as far as what we can reasonably expect out of each recruit we should be cautious.

Phillyconn said that even Stewie suffered through an adjustment period and that may or not be what happens to KLS (and her terrible twin Ms. Collier), but what I've learned watching Geno coach over the years is that he'll get from a player all that they are willing to give.

This class and the ones to follow will be filled with talent, but after a summer of speculation from board members with a great deal more insight into the relative talents of our new recruits than I have, I have no idea which one will garner the most playing time, or if they will be able to keep any of their upper class teammates on the bench while they play.

In 23 days we'll all begin to get some answers.
I don't feel that the players you listed as heralded recruits with the possible exception of Charde Houston fit that criteria. Carolyn Doty, Mel Thomas and Nicole Wolf were considered quality recruits but never put in the same league as the Maya's, Breanna's, the KML's or the KLS's. Even then, Carolyn's injuries as well as Mel's and Nicole's really stunted their being the players that they might have evolved into. Charde truly underachieved, based on what the expectations were, upon her arrival. I think a lot of that had to do with her mindset though she did show flashes of brilliance. Maya may have been the only player that I felt played exceptionally from her first day on the court while at Storrs. I never saw anything that could have been construed as a slump and she just continued to get better and better throughout her time in Storrs. I'm hopeful that KLS comes in and from Day 1 shows what made her the number one player in the class of 2015.

Reaction Score
I don't feel that the players you listed as heralded recruits with the possible exception of Charde Houston fit that criteria. Carolyn Doty, Mel Thomas and Nicole Wolf were considered quality recruits but never put in the same league as the Maya's, Breanna's, the KML's or the KLS's. Even then, Carolyn's injuries as well as Mel's and Nicole's really stunted their being the players that they might have evolved into. Charde truly underachieved, based on what the expectations were, upon her arrival. I think a lot of that had to do with her mindset though she did show flashes of brilliance. Maya may have been the only player that I felt played exceptionally from her first day on the court while at Storrs. I never saw anything that could have been construed as a slump and she just continued to get better and better throughout her time in Storrs. I'm hopeful that KLS comes in and from Day 1 shows what made her the number one player in the class of 2015.

I understand your argument but seriously, it's Caroline Doty and Nicole Wolff.

Reaction Score
I'm suggesting that she has the capability to be BETTER but she has work to do and I'm not sure HOW MUCH better she could possibly be. It just appears with her quicker release, additional size and quickness that there's potential to be VERY, VERY SPECIAL! I hope along with everyone on this site that she succeeds and has us talking in some of the same terms four years from now that we are talking about Stewie! Time will tell!!!!

Hey Buzzy - I hear what you are saying. From the perspective of a scout, recruiter, evaluator, coach, player, and/or well informed fan (not me of course) one could see that Lou has the capability to be equal to- or better than KML. Didn't Lou equal all KML's HS records or break them or get hairline close? Didn't the coach of the HS team state that they were both similar & special. (He said he would never see a player like KML cause she was a once in a lifetime player)--then Lou showed up!
In her favor, Lou has many advantages and pathways to equal KML or squeak by her. (Since coming through first KML did not have these or thought needed.)
Here are 5 reasons why Buzzboy and others see the capability of Lou:
Key point - Lou saw KML for 4 years of HS and 4 years at UConn and knows what is needed to equal her/pass her. New generation advantage.
There are new training methods, nutrition, psychological enhancements, etc. that Lou has access to that KML did not.
Lou has 2 sisters who played at a top 10 school and taught her everything they knew and could fill her in on what was needed for a great college career. Plus she had everyday and instant practice with sisters years older. Think about a 12 yr. old playing with 16-17 year old players every day!
Physically, Lou is 4 inches taller. She is also sinewy slender--like Stewie.
Lou knew in advance that she had to work on her defense, her ball handling, and her foot speed. She got a little jump start in HS.

I really liked KML as a player and a person. She had the steely mind of a deadly shooter. As a senior she was a leader, she could post up, she could handle the ball in traffic, and she played defense smartly. She was a winner. She had courage and like all UConn players, she was intense and relentless. She had poise and quiet confidence. IMHO Lou also has many of these qualities.
Lou has the capability to equal or pass KML. Let's see how it all unfolds. I like the odds.

Reaction Score

In 23 days we'll all begin to get some answers.[/QUOTE
Could not agree more re: Doty, Wolfe, Thomas, never know what they could have done.
Got more than we might have expected from Dolson, Wolters (although 6'5" & 6'7" maybe not that much) and Faris elevating to a defensive player of the year w/o Griner. But the best observation is the 23 days until we see real game time. Maybe the exhibitions will show a little. So looking forward to the ball getting tossed up and at least the beginning of the next iteration of Husky heaven.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I really liked KML as a player and a person. She had the steely mind of a deadly shooter. As a senior she was a leader, she could post up, she could handle the ball in traffic, and she played defense smartly. She was a winner. She had courage and like all UConn players, she was intense and relentless. She had poise and quiet confidence. IMHO Lou also has many of these qualities. Lou has the capability to equal or pass KML. Let's see how it all unfolds. I like the odds.

I loved Kaleena's game very early, the continuously as sh became such a badass. As for Katie Lou, I think it is completely logical for her to fill Kaleena's (slightly smaller?) shoes. I will stick with what I posted many months ago:

"Katie Lou Samuelson is too good to not start."

Reaction Score
I have to agree with Phillyconn. KML is one of Uconn's all-time greats. Just re-watch last year's South Carolina game to see how great KML was. KML won the CA state championship as a senior. KLS never won the state title. I saw KLS play twice last year and she wasn't the second coming of Stewie. There is a tendency on this board to mildly denigrate Bria and KML. I don't know why. Any other college in the country would kill to have had either two-time AA. I think KLS will be a WBCA AA. But will she be better than KML? That might be a basket too far.

Reaction Score
I have to agree with Phillyconn. KML is one of Uconn's all-time greats. Just re-watch last year's South Carolina game to see how great KML was. KML won the CA state championship as a senior. KLS never won the state title. I saw KLS play twice last year and she wasn't the second coming of Stewie. There is a tendency on this board to mildly denigrate Bria and KML. I don't know why. Any other college in the country would kill to have had either two-time AA. I think KLS will be a WBCA AA. But will she be better than KML? That might be a basket too far.
There are people who saw Stewie play in high school and she wasn't the second coming of Stewie either, depending on when you saw her. She wasn't even Stewie through a good part of her freshman year in Storrs and only became so in the post season of that year, where she emerged. Insofar as KLS not winning a championship as a high school senior, you probably do know that basketball is a team sport and there are many factors that go into a championship run, most significantly that you can't win it all by yourself. Diana Taurasi is credited with winning two championships practically by herself but in what I think was her junior year the Huskies were all but beat by Texas and made a miraculous comeback that had very little to do with DT. There was a kid on that team whose name escapes me who almost singlehandedly pulled that game out and had she not done that, Diana's LEGEND would have been significantly lessened though she (Diane) is obviously an extraordinary superstar! There are many professional athletes who are in their respective Hall's of Fame that never won championships in their respective sports and it means little or nothing to their peers that they failed to do so. Were their sport bowling or golf or skiing, maybe, but in team sports you've got to rely on others, as well, to succeed. There are many Boneyarders who will be extremely disappointed if KLS doesn't have at least as illustrious a career in Storrs as KML and maybe a bit disappointed if she doesn't exceed KML due to her obvious physical advantages and her heritage including her parents and her siblings.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
In UConn, under Geno, I think KLS will become a great player just like Stewie.
Stewie was going to be great no matter where she went... Geno had nothing to do with her superstar status (according to some) :rolleyes:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Watched both KLM and KLS at HS and club level. KLS gets her shot off much quicker than KML.

KLS has a great Basketball IQ.

Should be fun for the next 4 years.
and KML didnt... as Geno!

Reaction Score
I will be very curious to see if Geno starts KLS with Breanna & Morgan with Natalie coming off the bench or if he decides on starting Natalie and go large. Regardless we shouldn't put too much on KLS right now. We have 4 returning starters and a 6'5" transfer with 3 wonderful recruits. KLS shouldn't in and of herself be the only reason we repeat. That said, if she is the shooter we think she is the versatility we will have is scary. We could use the taller lineup with Mo & KLS hitting open 3's when teams pack it in on us.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
No idea how Lou's time at Uconn will go, but she comes in with the same kind of shooting pedigree as KML had with better foot speed and 4 more inches in height which translates to probably six more inches in reach.
Well to be fair, the 4 more inches in height were for KML's senior year only. Prior to that it was only 3 inches in height. :cool:

As we all are aware, KML shrunk her senior year, from 6-0 to 5-11. (as listed :rolleyes:)

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I will be very curious to see if Geno starts KLS with Breanna & Morgan with Natalie coming off the bench or if he decides on starting Natalie and go large. Regardless we shouldn't put too much on KLS right now. We have 4 returning starters and a 6'5" transfer with 3 wonderful recruits. KLS shouldn't in and of herself be the only reason we repeat. That said, if she is the shooter we think she is the versatility we will have is scary. We could use the taller lineup with Mo & KLS hitting open 3's when teams pack it in on us.
Nurse, Tuck, and Stewart will also be hitting threes.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Nurse, Tuck, and Stewart will also be hitting threes.
Stewart and Tuck as three point shooters are a little overstated. The fact that they can be effective from three is a great asset, but the team does not want to live and die with them shooting threes:
Stewart has made 106 through 3 years Fr - .333 (28 made), Soph .343 (48), Jr .313 (30)
Tuck has made 41 through 2+ years Fr .289 (13), Soph* .412 (7), Jr. .292 (21)

In those three years Uconn 3 point shooting as a team was .378 (325), .366 (295) and .406 (330) So only in Tuck in her 8 game aborted sophomore season shot about team average on an extremely limited sample.

It is a great weapon for both of them to possess and we can all think of monumental 3 pointers they have made in critical moments, but it has been and will continue to be a weapon that is wielded infrequently.

I suspect Lou will be both a better 3 point shooter, and depend on it a little more frequently in her arsenal - but we will see how that develops. I also suspect Uconn as a team will depend on that aspect of her game more than they do for either Stewart or Tuck.

Reaction Score
Stewie was going to be great no matter where she went... Geno had nothing to do with her superstar status (according to some) :rolleyes:
I think Geno has probably made her work harder to be the player she could be than most any other coach may have. She's always strived to be great and had a great work ethic but Geno has surely pushed even her own expectations, never being satisfied with anything but excellence! I think that demand has spurred her to a level that I'm not sure even she thought she would have attained. That in fact is why she chose Geno and Storrs as her landing place amongst all the offers she had.

Reaction Score
There are people who saw Stewie play in high school and she wasn't the second coming of Stewie either, depending on when you saw her. She wasn't even Stewie through a good part of her freshman year in Storrs and only became so in the post season of that year, where she emerged. Insofar as KLS not winning a championship as a high school senior, you probably do know that basketball is a team sport and there are many factors that go into a championship run, most significantly that you can't win it all by yourself. Diana Taurasi is credited with winning two championships practically by herself but in what I think was her junior year the Huskies were all but beat by Texas and made a miraculous comeback that had very little to do with DT. There was a kid on that team whose name escapes me who almost singlehandedly pulled that game out and had she not done that, Diana's LEGEND would have been significantly lessened though she (Diane) is obviously an extraordinary superstar! There are many professional athletes who are in their respective Hall's of Fame that never won championships in their respective sports and it means little or nothing to their peers that they failed to do so. Were their sport bowling or golf or skiing, maybe, but in team sports you've got to rely on others, as well, to succeed. There are many Boneyarders who will be extremely disappointed if KLS doesn't have at least as illustrious a career in Storrs as KML and maybe a bit disappointed if she doesn't exceed KML due to her obvious physical advantages and her heritage including her parents and her siblings.
I disagree on the winning championships part. The greatest players are, fairly or unfairly, measured by how many championships they have won. Look at WCBB, all the greatest players, DT, MM, Candace Parker and many more are judged by championships won. Look at BS, winning 4 titles would make her, in many people's eyes, the greatest ever. It's the same across all sports.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I disagree on the winning championships part. The greatest players are, fairly or unfairly, measured by how many championships they have won. It's the same across all sports.

You are correct - that (the number of of championships) is most often used as the measure of greatness. I recall an interview of Bill Russell when this topic came up. Something like this:

Q. Russ, who was the greatest (NBA) player? Oscar? Magic? Kareem? Bird? Jordan?

A. (after a Russell cackle) Well, those fellas were all pretty good. . . . but I've got the most rings! :D
bill%20russell.jpg !​

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I disagree on the winning championships part. The greatest players are, fairly or unfairly, measured by how many championships they have won. Look at WCBB, all the greatest players, DT, MM, Candace Parker and many more are judged by championships won. Look at BS, winning 4 titles would make her, in many people's eyes, the greatest ever. It's the same across all sports.
OK - I think I got this now. Augustus and Whalen are much Greater WNBA players than Bird and DT because they have three rings and Bird and DT only have two. :eek::cool: And of course Tina is just an average center since she has no rings. :)

Reaction Score
OK - I think I got this now. Augustus and Whalen are much Greater WNBA players than Bird and DT because they have three rings and Bird and DT only have two. :eek::cool: And of course Tina is just an average center since she has no rings. :)
DT has 3

Reaction Score
They were never in the conversation to begin with. I'm sure that you're familiar with the usual suspects in the conversation. You're talking Augustus and Whalen, when you have MM? That's like mentioning, Pippen and Rodman, when you have MJ.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
They were never in the conversation to begin with. I'm sure that you're familiar with the usual suspects in the conversation. You're talking Augustus and Whalen, when you have MM? That's like mentioning, Pippen and Rodman, when you have MJ.
It is a conversation that goes on in every team sport - greatest winner vs greatest player or greatest coach or greatest shortstop, or greatest QB, or greatest PG. In team sports there is no answer - was Marino a better QB than Griese. Most people would say Marino, but he played on less talented teams and never won a title. In baseball - if you didn't play for the Yankees, for most of history, you lose the title argument regardless of the skill and impact of your play. For the NBA the argument starts and ends with the Celtics of the 60s - Best player Russell (11 championships), Best Guard Sam Jones (10), Best Forward Havlicek (8) - also rans Jordan/Cousy (6) Pippen (6) Jabbar (6) - not in the conversation Magic, Mikan (5) Wilt (2), etc. In the WNBA - Maya is 3 for 5 or 60% in championships - does that make her a better pro than DT who is 3 for 11 for 27% success rate? Her team is also 2-1 in conference finals against DT teams.

Reaction Score
It is a conversation that goes on in every team sport - greatest winner vs greatest player or greatest coach or greatest shortstop, or greatest QB, or greatest PG. In team sports there is no answer - was Marino a better QB than Griese. Most people would say Marino, but he played on less talented teams and never won a title. In baseball - if you didn't play for the Yankees, for most of history, you lose the title argument regardless of the skill and impact of your play. For the NBA the argument starts and ends with the Celtics of the 60s - Best player Russell (11 championships), Best Guard Sam Jones (10), Best Forward Havlicek (8) - also rans Jordan/Cousy (6) Pippen (6) Jabbar (6) - not in the conversation Magic, Mikan (5) Wilt (2), etc. In the WNBA - Maya is 3 for 5 or 60% in championships - does that make her a better pro than DT who is 3 for 11 for 27% success rate? Her team is also 2-1 in conference finals against DT teams.
You can be great and not win championships. But, whether, fair or not, to be in the conversation, of the greatest, you had to win titles. Bill Russell is in the conversation for the Celtics, but that's it. Jordan is in the conversation, Magic and Wilt, maybe Jabbar. If you don't know by now who's in the conversation, I can't help you. Bill Russel, wasn't even in my generation, but I know he's in the conversation, because he was a great player that led his teams to championships.
Maya and DT, what can I say? Two of the all-time greatest, clutch players ever! Championships and MVP awards. The biggest debate is who is the greatest, not who is in the conversation, any fan should know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom