My take on Katie Lou | Page 2 | The Boneyard

My take on Katie Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With Lou, I take comfort in knowing that her sister Karlie is pretty good. Karlie strikes me as being high intensity, a tough competitor, well rounded, high BBIQ, and capable of doing a lot of things to help her team win. If Lou has similar traits, and there's every reason to believe she does, when you factor in the shot and give her two more inches, you've got a pretty good package.
I think she easily exceeds her sisters in all areas.

Reaction Score
Katie Lou in the second tier of players? She doesn't have the hype? Where have you been. And don't even try that Ogwumike didn't have the pieces. D won two in a row after losing four players to the WNBA, who happened to be four of the top six picks and who left behind a very large hole. Yes, there were very good players, Ann Strother being one of those, and very underrated. However, there wasn't anyone close to being a top tier player to help D. Katie Lou will prove you wrong. It's the want to, and she wants to.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think she easily exceeds her sisters in all areas.

In fairness to both, I have felt that Tara's system has in the last few years done a disservice to Stanford's 3 point shooters as she became Ogwumike fixated. Last year, for just one game (wink GRRRH) she figured something different out of course. :(

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Just watched some clips again of hers and they are mostly catch-and-shoot 3s but there are definitely flashes of off the dribble ability. Maybe it's something she didn't need much in HS but will develop in college?

There's one clip where she drives left on a smaller defender than spins back into the lane for an uncontested finger roll. There aren't many 6'3 players that can do a spin move at full speed. I definitely think she has the raw ability to have that EDD-type off the dribble game.

I really enjoying watching her clips. Her shooting stroke is so pretty.

Completely agree of course! ;) But SluConn if you care to look there is lots of Lou on YouTube and it will demonstrate, convincingly I think, why she overtook the previous #1 in her class. Not many like her come along. Her sister revealed that she was headed to UConn until her uncle tragically passed away, so I always felt we had the inside track for Lou, but she certainly was a cool customer right up until she committed! Don't play poker (or basketball) with Lou, you'll lose.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I hope you are right. I've often said there are 2 different types of #1 players - the types like Taurasi, Griner, Parker, Moore, Stewie, Delle Donne, Ogwumike etc (Tina Charles is as close to this list as I think you can get, without actually being on it - i'm not sure i'd put her in the same league as Dee, Maya and Stewie).

Players who are not only #1 in their class, but transcendent to the programs they choose. Players like Ogwumike may not have gotten Stanford the golden ring, but they certainly made them a perennial final 4 contender. Stanford just didn't have enough complementary parts.

Then there are other #1 players like KML, Liz Williams, Ash Robinson, etc. They may have been #1 in their classes, but they should really be 1A in that they aren't quite NPOY good, and while great for their teams, and while probably the best in their class as their careers progress, they aren't really the superstar types like the others I listed.

I may be wrong but I feel like Samuelson is more in the mold of the 2nd tier of top players. I sure hope I'm wrong, but so far, she doesn't have the hype of the top tier players I mentioned coming out of HS... Sure she's great, but she's not necessarily a superstar...
Sorry, my friend, but I disagree on one point: Ogwumike is top tier and Tina Charles is not? Tina was NPOY; Nneka was not. Tina was WNBA MVP; Nneka was not. Tina was 1st team WNBA multiple times; I don't believe that Nneka was. I think Nneka is a great player, but I give the edge to Tina, not the reverse.

Reaction Score
I hope you are right. I've often said there are 2 different types of #1 players - the types like Taurasi, Griner, Parker, Moore, Stewie, Delle Donne, Ogwumike etc (Tina Charles is as close to this list as I think you can get, without actually being on it - i'm not sure i'd put her in the same league as Dee, Maya and Stewie).

I'd put Tina above the Ogwumike sisters.

Reaction Score
In fairness to both, I have felt that Tara's system has in the last few years done a disservice to Stanford's 3 point shooters as she became Ogwumike fixated. Last year, for just one game (wink GRRRH) she figured something different out of course. :(
I think that there is some truth to your feeling Tara had somewhat of an obsession with Ogwumike and her athleticism. I think her athleticism far exceeded her basketball acumen and yet that focus on her was one of the reasons that some of the other players on the roster "underachieved" or never had the opportunity to really evolve.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I think that there is some truth to your feeling Tara had somewhat of an obsession with Ogwumike and her athleticism. I think her athleticism far exceeded her basketball acumen and yet that focus on her was one of the reasons that some of the other players on the roster "underachieved" or never had the opportunity to really evolve.

I don't understand that line of argument at all. Ogwumike (Chiney) was by far the best player on her team. She put up 26 and 12 as a senior (60% FG%) despite everyone knowing that. Focusing on Chiney and maximizing her abilities was the only way that team was making the Final Four.

Reaction Score
Totally agree. I think KLS will be a much better overall player than KML. She has an inside game and, from the couple times I saw her play in high school, I think that charming smile is only for off the court. She has a nasty little mean streak when it comes to challenging her - like, "Oh Yeah?!?!?" She'll get stronger, and she'll learn to pay defense, and she'll be a true superstar.
Can't get that much better than KML, at least offensively.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Can't get that much better than KML, at least offensively.
KML is great and I am in no way trying to diminish her accomplishments, but in the genetic lottery in terms of basketball physique KLS won. No idea how Lou's time at Uconn will go, but she comes in with the same kind of shooting pedigree as KML had with better foot speed and 4 more inches in height which translates to probably six more inches in reach. In basketball terms those are huge advantages.
(Her high school coach has said that coaching KML was a once in a life time experience in terms of her shooting, and his surprise when a year after she left he experienced the same again! or words to that effect.)

Reaction Score
KML is great and I am in no way trying to diminish her accomplishments, but in the genetic lottery in terms of basketball physique KLS won. No idea how Lou's time at Uconn will go, but she comes in with the same kind of shooting pedigree as KML had with better foot speed and 4 more inches in height which translates to probably six more inches in reach. In basketball terms those are huge advantages.
(Her high school coach has said that coaching KML was a once in a life time experience in terms of her shooting, and his surprise when a year after she left he experienced the same again! or words to that effect.)
I really hope that KLS is an all-time great at UConn. KML was clutch. Am I the only person that recognizes just how great KML was in her 4 years here. Keep in mind that KML played second or third fiddle in her years here. IMHO, she was unstoppable. She shot the three better than just about anybody in UConn history.
She's got the mid-range jumper, she can score down low. She's strong enough to battle in the post for rebounds and put backs. I put her in the top five, scoring wise, in UConn history. With out KML, we wouldn't have won 3 straight titles. She opened things up in the post because teams had to game plan for her. Much better player than what she gets credit for. I appreciate what KML did for our team. Was she quick? No but neither was LB. Did she have height? No, but neither did CB.

As for KLS, if she's a better scorer than KML, she's in that DT and Maya conversation. If, she a better shooter than KML, she is the best ever! I hope she wins 4 straight. I'm anxious to see her play. If she can put the ball on the floor and score, like EDD, then greatness is in her future. More titles! More titles!

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I really hope that KLS is an all-time great at UConn. KML was clutch. Am I the only person that recognizes just how great KML was in her 4 years here. Keep in mind that KML played second or third fiddle in her years here. IMHO, she was unstoppable. She shot the three better than just about anybody in UConn history.
She's got the mid-range jumper, she can score down low. She's strong enough to battle in the post for rebounds and put backs. I put her in the top five, scoring wise, in UConn history. With out KML, we wouldn't have won 3 straight titles. She opened things up in the post because teams had to game plan for her. Much better player than what she gets credit for. I appreciate what KML did for our team. Was she quick? No but neither was LB. Did she have height? No, but neither did CB.

As for KLS, if she's a better scorer than KML, she's in that DT and Maya conversation. If, she a better shooter than KML, she is the best ever! I hope she wins 4 straight. I'm anxious to see her play. If she can put the ball on the floor and score, like EDD, then greatness is in her future. More titles! More titles!

Only person, hardly. KML is and will always be in the Huskies Hall of Fame. Don't confuse enthusiasm for KLS for a dis of KML. We are just getting our preseason revs up!

Reaction Score
Only person, hardly. KML is and will always be in the Huskies Hall of Fame. Don't confuse enthusiasm for KLS for a dis of KML. We are just getting our preseason revs up!
I know, I know. Just seems like some people, really do not appreciate what KML has meant to the program. I've heard a lot of negativity thrown her way in the past. I guess stuff like that offends me.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Watched both KLM and KLS at HS and club level. KLS gets her shot off much quicker than KML.

KLS has a great Basketball IQ.

Should be fun for the next 4 years.

Reaction Score
Nope, we'll just have to wait and see. For now we can only predict (and there's nuthin' else to do). I predicted KLS will be MUCH better, and I'm sticking to it.
I hope your right! Because if she's MUCH better, she'll be the greatest husky of all time.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Phillyconn - KML is one of the Uconn greats and I agree she was integral to the last three championship teams.

But interestingly, we are now awaiting the first game action for another recruit from KML's high school which allows as much of a direct comparison as you can get for players who played HS ball in different years. And who happens to have the same kind of dead eye reputation as a three point shooter as KML had when she arrived at Uconn. We all now know how KML's 4 years turned out. We have no idea how Lou's 4 years will unfold, but we can anticipate with a little more accuracy based on their shared background playing for the same coach four years apart. He has already made comparisons in comments to the horde, that speak to both players amazing skills. And we can look at the HS and USA stats, and we can look at the physical attributes and note the most obvious difference - 4 inches in height - something that in basketball terms can be significant. Maya at 5'8" would still be an amazing basketball player, but if everything else is equal, everyone would prefer the original at 6'0"; Moriah at 5'7" is pure electricity, but at 5'11" with everything else the same would be atomic! If KLS develops over 4 years what she has already shown in HS in the same ways that KML developed during her 4 years, she will be phenomenal, so she has the potential to 'surpass' KML - it is all just potential at this point, but a 6'3" KML bombing from the arc, and posting down low is a pretty enjoyable vision.

Reaction Score
Doesn't mean better.
KML didn't come to UConn with much of a midrange game. If you remember, she wasn't much of an interior player either but inevitable she got very good in the paint and developed a pretty good midrange touch. KLS's quicker release means that she'll potentially get off shots that KML would never have attempted maybe not got off. KLS still has to prove herself on this bigger stage but she's already proved a lot at their high school Alma Mater. No one is denigrating KML but it appears you feel she is somehow getting slighted and I haven't heard anyone say anything that suggests that. Her will to win was another key attribute that she had but I'm inclined to think KLS has that characteristic as well, based on everything said about her and her doing absolutely nothing but win, win, win everywhere she's played up to this point. I can't fathom that changing but that doesn't alter the fact that, yes, we all love and respect KML for all she's done during her time in Storrs. She's a winner and beyond that, she's been a tireless recruiter for UConn and the best possible teammate you could ask for.

Reaction Score
Phillyconn - KML is one of the Uconn greats and I agree she was integral to the last three championship teams.

But interestingly, we are now awaiting the first game action for another recruit from KML's high school which allows as much of a direct comparison as you can get for players who played HS ball in different years. And who happens to have the same kind of dead eye reputation as a three point shooter as KML had when she arrived at Uconn. We all now know how KML's 4 years turned out. We have no idea how Lou's 4 years will unfold, but we can anticipate with a little more accuracy based on their shared background playing for the same coach four years apart. He has already made comparisons in comments to the horde, that speak to both players amazing skills. And we can look at the HS and USA stats, and we can look at the physical attributes and note the most obvious difference - 4 inches in height - something that in basketball terms can be significant. Maya at 5'8" would still be an amazing basketball player, but if everything else is equal, everyone would prefer the original at 6'0"; Moriah at 5'7" is pure electricity, but at 5'11" with everything else the same would be atomic! If KLS develops over 4 years what she has already shown in HS in the same ways that KML developed during her 4 years, she will be phenomenal, so she has the potential to 'surpass' KML - it is all just potential at this point, but a 6'3" KML bombing from the arc, and posting down low is a pretty enjoyable vision.
I couldn't agree more!!!! Very well said!!!!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I know, I know. Just seems like some people, really do not appreciate what KML has meant to the program. I've heard a lot of negativity thrown her way in the past. I guess stuff like that offends me.

Clearly it stuck in your craw Philly, but don't give it continued life; because KML sure made her detractors eat crow in her senior season. So:

Reaction Score
KML didn't come to UConn with much of a midrange game. If you remember, she wasn't much of an interior player either but inevitable she got very good in the paint and developed a pretty good midrange touch. KLS's quicker release means that she'll potentially get off shots that KML would never have attempted maybe not got off. KLS still has to prove herself on this bigger stage but she's already proved a lot at their high school Alma Mater. No one is denigrating KML but it appears you feel she is somehow getting slighted and I haven't heard anyone say anything that suggests that. Her will to win was another key attribute that she had but I'm inclined to think KLS has that characteristic as well, based on everything said about her and her doing absolutely nothing but win, win, win everywhere she's played up to this point. I can't fathom that changing but that doesn't alter the fact that, yes, we all love and respect KML for all she's done during her time in Storrs. She's a winner and beyond that, she's been a tireless recruiter for UConn and the best possible teammate you could ask for.
I thought KML, had the full arsenal, in high school

Reaction Score
If, you're speculating that KLS, is MUCH better than KML, then we could be looking at the greatest player ever. Give her time before we anoint her. Even BS, took time to get it going. I hope she is the greatest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom