More hockey realignment? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

More hockey realignment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Rutgers is surrounded by 4 nhl teams. That will be a tough market to crack. UConn hockey is exploding. Quality games against top opponents are already putting 8k in the XL and they are going to have to remove the curtains soon, because the Whaler faithful are starving for hockey in Hartford. I can see 10k+ being the norm for top 10 opponents. UConn hockey will be huge and will go national in the next 5 years.

Reaction Score
Rutgers is surrounded by 4 nhl teams. That will be a tough market to crack. UConn hockey is exploding. Quality games against top opponents are already putting 8k in the XL and they are going to have to remove the curtains soon, because the Whaler faithful are starving for hockey in Hartford. I can see 10k+ being the norm for top 10 opponents. UConn hockey will be huge and will go national in the next 5 years.

One question, is too much fan success a bad thing if it distracts UConn from building a on-campus hockey arena in Storrs (5K-6K), which most folks believe is a must, and instead keep them in Hartford?

Reaction Score
I can see a goldilocks scenario for hockey. Big games at the XL, a few in Bridgeport and the balance in Storrs.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
One question, is too much fan success a bad thing if it distracts UConn from building a on-campus hockey arena in Storrs (5K-6K), which most folks believe is a must, and instead keep them in Hartford?
I don't get the worry over a new barn in Storrs. It's in the planning stages and is required by HE to be built. It's happening.

Reaction Score
I don't get the worry over a new barn in Storrs. It's in the planning stages and is required by HE to be built. It's happening.

Look up the history of how long and how many variations and locations it took Rentschler to get built. Never underestimate Hartford politics.

Reaction Score
Look up the history of how long and how many variations and locations it took Rentschler to get built. Never underestimate Hartford politics.

True. But I would also add never underestimate an agreement with Hockey East. It will be built somewhere on campus.

Reaction Score
True. But I would also add never underestimate an agreement with Hockey East. It will be built somewhere on campus.

Would love to see the contract language because 'campus' can be a very broad word, especially when Hartford is desperate for events, like UConn, to bring people into the city, and UConn does happen to have a 'campus' in Hartford.

Reaction Score
Okay say that somehow all this paranoia turns out to be true and the hockey team decides to stay in Hartford, if they continue to draw crowds like they have been do we complain? I get that everyone in CT hates Hartford but you can't reasonably say these type of crowds aren't in part due to the easy accessibility of the city and promotion towards the Hartford county hockey crowd.
Btw I do believe an arena needs to be built in Storrs

Reaction Score
Not everyone in CT hates Hartford. Many old-line Husky fans do for whatever reason, but it's starting to sound like they're completely out of touch now. People are loving the games in Hartford and Hockey East certainly will have no problem with them playing ALL of their games in Hartford.

Reaction Score
I understand your point but Hartford in no way, shape or form should be relying on UConn athletics to keep it viable. If UConn builds an on campus arena that could put pressure on the state to finally replace the XL and contend for an NHL team.

Reaction Score
Which knowing our govt. they'll just let the XL turn into NH Coliseum 2.0

Reaction Score
Okay say that somehow all this paranoia turns out to be true and the hockey team decides to stay in Hartford, if they continue to draw crowds like they have been do we complain? I get that everyone in CT hates Hartford but you can't reasonably say these type of crowds aren't in part due to the easy accessibility of the city and promotion towards the Hartford county hockey crowd.
Btw I do believe an arena needs to be built in Storrs

I don't hate Hartford, jut their politics. UConn's best interests are not always the same as Hartford's. UConn needs to do what is the best for UConn (not just athletically) and let Hartford sort out its own problems.

Reaction Score
Some holiday break games in Hartford each season would be an excellent idea, students are on break, so they wouldn't show up, and families/youth teams have more time.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I don't hate Hartford, jut their politics. UConn's best interests are not always the same as Hartford's. UConn needs to do what is the best for UConn (not just athletically) and let Hartford sort out its own problems.
Big games in Hartford are what's best for UConn. Having 8k+ at the Civic Center for BCU is absolutely a huge plus... but every game is not against a top 10 program. 4k on campus against Merrimack or Northeastern is better than 4k at the Civic Center.

Reaction Score
Big games in Hartford are what's best for UConn. Having 8k+ at the Civic Center for BCU is absolutely a huge plus... but every game is not against a top 10 program. 4k on campus against Merrimack or Northeastern is better than 4k at the Civic Center.

Unfortunately, the folks in Hartford are often not that astute. They see 8K fans at one game and think that is what will happen at every game and thus think that having all of UConn hockey games in Hartford will help solve the some of the city's issues.

Reaction Score
Frankly, the nearly 8K at XL Saturday for the BU game was not an advantage. That may have been an anomaly - football game, early start time, whatever, but the atmosphere was putrid except for the short part of the 3rd where it was a game. I wrote in the other thread, you could hear the buzzing of the HVAC system over the crowd during play. That same=sized crowd at Mullins in UMass, with many, many more students makes the place a snake pit. Many VERY good teams have gone into Mullins and lost to terrible UMass teams, in large part due to their raucous crowd. Heck, even BU's world-beating 2009 team got curbstomped 5-1 there that season. Unless they can open the whole facility and sell it, the cavernous nature of XL really doesn't make for a good environment, even with the curtaining. Plus, it just looks minor league. UConn's in the pros of college hockey now, they should play in a facility that looks up to and above standard with the rest of the league. XL is not that place. The best option for the program, the team, the recruiting, the coaching, the practice setup, ability to schedule and be on television is a top of the line 5-6K facility in or around Storrs. Some of you may have to drive a bit farther, but either suck it up and do it, or don't waste your time following the program. UConn-Hartford didn't join Hockey East, UConn did. The only people who benefit from playing in Hartford are politicians and fans who don't want to drive. Every other successful hockey program in the country does this. Heck, just about every other hockey program in the country, period, plays on or very near campus. I can't think of one off hand who doesn't.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Some holiday break games in Hartford each season would be an excellent idea, students are on break, so they wouldn't show up, and families/youth teams have more time.

This is easy play the games against BC , bu, etc. in Hartford. Any game which brings in 10k+ fans should be played there.

Reaction Score
frankthetank111 10:05am via Twitter Web Client
From @JGonStrib: Penn State hockey success spurring others to look at sport. Arizona State might join Big Ten hockey
http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/296003651.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

>>In the meantime, Arizona State will have to build its résumé as an independent Division I member for the next two seasons. After that, the Sun Devils will join a conference, and some expect it to be the Big Ten. The Pac-12 and Big Ten have a long athletic history and like schools in their “Power 5” conferences. They also have TV networks hungry for more prime-time sporting events.

Arizona State and the Big Ten both confirmed they’ve discussed a hockey future together. An outside school competing in one Big Ten sport already occurs in men’s lacrosse with Johns Hopkins.<<

Reaction Score
I know it is unrealistic, but why couldn't that be UConn hockey in the Big 10. Then we would at least have our foot in the door.

Reaction Score
Frankly, the nearly 8K at XL Saturday for the BU game was not an advantage. That may have been an anomaly - football game, early start time, whatever, but the atmosphere was putrid except for the short part of the 3rd where it was a game. I wrote in the other thread, you could hear the buzzing of the HVAC system over the crowd during play. That same=sized crowd at Mullins in UMass, with many, many more students makes the place a snake pit. Many VERY good teams have gone into Mullins and lost to terrible UMass teams, in large part due to their raucous crowd. Heck, even BU's world-beating 2009 team got curbstomped 5-1 there that season. Unless they can open the whole facility and sell it, the cavernous nature of XL really doesn't make for a good environment, even with the curtaining. Plus, it just looks minor league. UConn's in the pros of college hockey now, they should play in a facility that looks up to and above standard with the rest of the league. XL is not that place. The best option for the program, the team, the recruiting, the coaching, the practice setup, ability to schedule and be on television is a top of the line 5-6K facility in or around Storrs. Some of you may have to drive a bit farther, but either suck it up and do it, or don't waste your time following the program. UConn-Hartford didn't join Hockey East, UConn did. The only people who benefit from playing in Hartford are politicians and fans who don't want to drive. Every other successful hockey program in the country does this. Heck, just about every other hockey program in the country, period, plays on or very near campus. I can't think of one off hand who doesn't.
I agree with this post. Your last three lines however...same can be said about college football but we insist on doing things differently.

Reaction Score
I know it is unrealistic, but why couldn't that be UConn hockey in the Big 10. Then we would at least have our foot in the door.
Because the other B1G hockey schools don't want UConn in right now. There's no incentive to add them as an associate hockey-only member. If you're the B1G and you're looking to add an eastern hockey-only member, why would you look at UConn first right now.

Also mentioned in the Star Tribune article above is that three other B1G schools are quietly investigating adding hockey. From other sources, one is Northwestern, one is presumably Iowa (plans for a 7K arena a mile from campus supposedly for mixed- use in addition to college hockey are drawn up), and speculation has the third as Nebraska.

Reaction Score
Because the other B1G hockey schools don't want UConn in right now. There's no incentive to add them as an associate hockey-only member. If you're the B1G and you're looking to add an eastern hockey-only member, why would you look at UConn first right now.

Also mentioned in the Star Tribune article above is that three other B1G schools are quietly investigating adding hockey. From other sources, one is Northwestern, one is presumably Iowa (plans for a 7K arena a mile from campus supposedly for mixed- use in addition to college hockey are drawn up), and speculation has the third as Nebraska.

I have heard that the B1G wants Rutgers to add hockey, which makes sense on paper as it is in the Northeast, puts a team near NYC, and NJ has decent HS hockey recruiting. But, it won't be added anytime soon. First, Rutgers has to get its financial house (mess) in order as there is a tremendous internal push to end the university subsidy of its athletic programs. Second, hockey would have to fight for funding with several existing teams that need major upgrades (basketball arena & practice facility, football full-field indoor practice facility, Olympic sport field upgrades, especially Lax/Soccer).

I wonder if the same can be said for Maryland?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom