More hockey realignment? | The Boneyard

More hockey realignment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Saw this article tweeted out by @flugempire (still not sure if he is key, or non-key). WCHA guy on record saying they are looking at expansion. One possibly cited in the article is Arizona State... and Canadian universities.

http://m.newsminer.com/sports/uaf_n...31a-2388-11e4-b357-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=jqm

In other tweets, @flugempire claims a source saying ND has been convinced they have a better shot at a CFB playoff as a conference member.

Notre Dame has recieved clarification from committee (playoffs) that leads them to conclude a "Conference Championship", be it won with..

......or w/o a Conference Championship game, is paramount to pushing the committee in favor of team over another w/o a Conf championship...

In extension: A Notre Dame team with 1 loss is at a great gross disavantage vs. a SEC,BIG12,PAC or B1G conference champion with 1 loss...

I agree, with my own specualtion, with many who say if ND goes to a conference it would be the ACC...I agree, but just haven't been told.

ND faces a different" lay of the land" then it did just 12 months ago.Ind for ND football with all its positives..has just now been devalued

Reaction Score
I wouldn't count on ASU, at best maybe one of the B1G schools adds a program. Otherwise there's not much meaningful hockey realignment will occur. Perhaps some small schools in the upper Midwest will add a program. Minn. State-Moorhead has been rumored, but that won't change anything. This is mostly the WCHA blowing smoke since they're basically irrelevant now.

Reaction Score
junglehusky said:
Saw this article tweeted out by @flugempire (still not sure if he is key, or non-key). WCHA guy on record saying they are looking at expansion. One possibly cited in the article is Arizona State... and Canadian universities. http://m.newsminer.com/sports/uaf_n...31a-2388-11e4-b357-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=jqm In other tweets, @flugempire claims a source saying ND has been convinced they have a better shot at a CFB playoff as a conference member.
I think it's safe to say he's non-key.

Reaction Score
He's non-key but the statements are real. He does make a good point in which he theorizes what this could mean for Mcgill or University of Toronto. Hockey TV expansion into two large markets.

Reaction Score
junglehusky said:
Saw this article tweeted out by @flugempire (still not sure if he is key, or non-key). WCHA guy on record saying they are looking at expansion. One possibly cited in the article is Arizona State... and Canadian universities. http://m.newsminer.com/sports/uaf_n...31a-2388-11e4-b357-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=jqm In other tweets, @flugempire claims a source saying ND has been convinced they have a better shot at a CFB playoff as a conference member.

Was ist Flugaur? Es ist @flugempire. UMN, as in University of Minnesota fan. Troll? https://mobile.twitter.com/flugempire

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There was talk when the B1G expanded that one reason Maryland and Rutgers were added was because both could potentially add hockey programs. They have the market; but, their athletic budget are a mess and neither appears to have Mr. Pegula as a alumni who can immediately buy them a program. I would if its even possible for U Nebraska Omaha to 'transfer' their team to U Nebraska? I also wondered if they could be pried away, if the B1G would extend a Johns Hopkins like arrangement to Boston U for hockey. They are AAU and would really add to B1G hockey; but, its a stretch to see them leave Hockey East and their neighbors.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
There was talk when the B1G expanded that one reason Maryland and Rutgers were added was because both could potentially add hockey programs. They have the market; but, their athletic budget are a mess and neither appears to have Mr. Pegula as a alumni who can immediately buy them a program. I would if its even possible for U Nebraska Omaha to 'transfer' their team to U Nebraska? I also wondered if they could be pried away, if the B1G would extend a Johns Hopkins like arrangement to Boston U for hockey. They are AAU and would really add to B1G hockey; but, its a stretch to see them leave Hockey East and their neighbors.

I think it depends on who else came in. Hockey East is an awesome conference, best in the sport. The rivalry with BC is about as intense as I have seen in college hockey. The Big10 hockey league is also very good, but it might take a couple of more schools to help out.

Reaction Score
Omaha won't be shifted - there is a surprising market for hockey in the city of Omaha, it won't work in Lincoln. BU won't be an affiliate member of B1G without BC going too. 0% chance BU goes anywhere without BC, and it's highly unlikely BC goes anywhere without BU unless it's the entire school going to the B1G and hockey being required to join as well. In that event, BU might try and work out an affiliate membership. Other than that, neither wants to leave HE - best league in the country, virtually no travel costs, historic rivals - there's no incentive to leave. Both were invited to join the NCHC when it was created, both laughed at the phone call.

Reaction Score
Omaha won't be shifted - there is a surprising market for hockey in the city of Omaha, it won't work in Lincoln. BU won't be an affiliate member of B1G without BC going too. 0% chance BU goes anywhere without BC, and it's highly unlikely BC goes anywhere without BU unless it's the entire school going to the B1G and hockey being required to join as well. In that event, BU might try and work out an affiliate membership. Other than that, neither wants to leave HE - best league in the country, virtually no travel costs, historic rivals - there's no incentive to leave. Both were invited to join the NCHC when it was created, both laughed at the phone call.

100% agree with this post. Next to Ohio State - Michigan in football, the Boston College - Boston University hockey rivalry it arguably one of the best in all college sports. Neither school has any intention of doing anything that would change that.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I also wondered if they could be pried away, if the B1G would extend a Johns Hopkins like arrangement to Boston U for hockey. They are AAU and would really add to B1G hockey; but, its a stretch to see them leave Hockey East and their neighbors.
I doubt that BU would give up HE membership (and the local rivalries) for what would at best be a lateral move in terms of quality of conference and a ton of additional travel costs. BU is like BC in that men's hockey success (and the Beanpot) is really all they have in terms of athletics to draw any sense of pride from.

Reaction Score
I doubt that BU would give up HE membership (and the local rivalries) for what would at best be a lateral move in terms of quality of conference and a ton of additional travel costs. BU is like BC in that men's hockey success (and the Beanpot) is really all they have in terms of athletics to draw any sense of pride from.

I don't know. I think most BC fans would disagree with that. BC football has had winning seasons most years, has finished in the Top 25 a bunch of times, and for each of the past 3 decades has managed to sneak in a Top 10-ish team - all the while managing to finish each year in the top 3-5 schools for graduation rates. Along the way, it has produced some pretty good players over the years. Like all fan bases, most BC fans want more in the future, but, FWIW, I think you would be hard pressed to find alums who are not proud of the program and its history.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
100% agree with this post. Next to Ohio State - Michigan in football, the Boston College - Boston University hockey rivalry it arguably one of the best in all college sports. Neither school has any intention of doing anything that would change that.

Maybe the Iron Bowl too......

....good lord

Reaction Score
Maybe the Iron Bowl too.

....good lord

I don't disagree with you. I think you missed my point. I separated out the Ohio State - Michigan rivalry as, IMO, that is on a level unmatched in college sports. I said that after that, the BC-BU hockey rivalry is "arguably" "ONE of the best" in college sports. I never stated that it was THE best after OSU-UM, only that I would consider it one of them.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's a great rivalry, but those things are hard to judge outside of the combatants.

I went to a Lehigh-Lafayette football game and thought, holy crap, these people genuinely hate each other.

They've played every year since 1896 and their rivalry, given that it's really the original football rivalry is called "The Rivalry". They don't even have a trophy - the winner just takes the ball home.

The point is that there's a bunch of rivalries out there that don't get the hype of UNC-Duke or OSU-UM, but are that much more intense because they're driven by something other than media attention.

dayooper

Reaction Score
It's a great rivalry, but those things are hard to judge outside of the combatants.

I went to a Lehigh-Lafayette football game and thought, holy crap, these people genuinely hate each other.

They've played every year since 1896 and their rivalry, given that it's really the original football rivalry is called "The Rivalry". They don't even have a trophy - the winner just takes the ball home.

The point is that there's a bunch of rivalries out there that don't get the hype of UNC-Duke or OSU-UM, but are that much more intense because they're driven by something other than media attention.

I've been to a Western Michigan/Central Michigan weekend and game. No love loss between those two. To those schools, it's the most intense rivalry they know.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with you. I think you missed my point. I separated out the Ohio State - Michigan rivalry as, IMO, that is on a level unmatched in college sports. I said that after that, the BC-BU hockey rivalry is "arguably" "ONE of the best" in college sports. I never stated that it was THE best after OSU-UM, only that I would consider it one of them.

No, I didn't miss your point.

Reaction Score
I am sure BU knows never to trust BC. They would drop them in a minute.

Reaction Score
There's supposedly discussions of 2 additional Big Ten schools thinking about adding Hockey in a few years - Neb and either Illini/NU.

It'll be a while before anything comes out of it though - maybe 4-5 years down the line.

I really don't see this being a factor in driving P5 or even G5 realignment though

dayooper

Reaction Score
There's supposedly discussions of 2 additional Big Ten schools thinking about adding Hockey in a few years - Neb and either Illini/NU.

It'll be a while before anything comes out of it though - maybe 4-5 years down the line.

I really don't see this being a factor in driving P5 or even G5 realignment though

I think Nebraska will have a team next. If I remember correctly, they have a pretty big benefactor that will assist. Illinois has a strong club team. Northwestern was a surprise to most when it was announced they looked into it.

Reaction Score
I am sure BU knows never to trust BC. They would drop them in a minute.
100% not true. They hate each other on the ice, but there is immense mutual respect between the programs. They've been tied at the hip for almost 100 years. For all their crappiness, Jerry York and former BU coach Jack Parker are very close and have great respect for one another. They would absolutely positively not leave the other one - it would be wholly detrimental to either program. Not to mention, as BC78 said, neither program has any desire to leave HE. It'd be a lateral move to the B1G, at best, with five times the travel costs and headaches. HE is a bus league outside of ND. One flight a year versus 10+. No coach would sign up for that.

Even if BC joined the B1G in all sports and hockey was forced to go, they'd likely push for BU as a hockey-only addition as a travel partner and to even out the league at eight teams. Not a single program in the B1G would have any problem with it, and many would likely push for the same scenario. Better for them, if they have to come east, to have two teams instead of one.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Nebraska's new BB arena was built to also house hockey. They'll be in the B1G hockey league within the next few years.

Reaction Score
Nebraska's new BB arena was built to also house hockey. They'll be in the B1G hockey league within the next few years.
Wouldn't count on it that fast. Hockey programs are expensive Title IX compliance killers.

Reaction Score
100% not true. They hate each other on the ice, but there is immense mutual respect between the programs. They've been tied at the hip for almost 100 years. For all their crappiness, Jerry York and former BU coach Jack Parker are very close and have great respect for one another. They would absolutely positively not leave the other one - it would be wholly detrimental to either program. Not to mention, as BC78 said, neither program has any desire to leave HE. It'd be a lateral move to the B1G, at best, with five times the travel costs and headaches. HE is a bus league outside of ND. One flight a year versus 10+. No coach would sign up for that.

Even if BC joined the B1G in all sports and hockey was forced to go, they'd likely push for BU as a hockey-only addition as a travel partner and to even out the league at eight teams. Not a single program in the B1G would have any problem with it, and many would likely push for the same scenario. Better for them, if they have to come east, to have two teams instead of one.

This is a different time. If 12 schools from various P5 leagues were offered 100 mil per year to join up, GOR's and ancient history and respect would go out the door. What is going on in college sports is just survive, thrive and a bit of greed (much like outsourcing). Don't let any romantic notions like academics or competing with the best blind you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom