"Minnesota Slim" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

"Minnesota Slim"

Reaction Score
Seems like we all agree to disagree, call Paige what you want to call her. Personally I'm going for the simplicity of her name...Paige, besides easier to spell or say "Bucket Bueckers"...c'mon now. :rolleyes:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Wow, a lot of choices here. My favorites are (in order) are: Buckets, Miss Magic and Minnesota Slim. I’ll be using all three in future posts in referencing Paige. :) Finding a monicker that most of us can agree on is not a bridge too far. We’ve done this before.

I think regulars in the yard will know who is being referenced no matter which of these names are used. Random visitors will be in the dark, but in time they’ll see the light.

If we (the Boneyard) can get enough of the print media to “buy in” on a particular nick name, then we will have done our job.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
An example of how the name has caught on so quickly.

Reaction Score
I initialize a lot of players but have, and will, stick with just plain Paige. I understand the urge, particularly with the media folks, to use Buckets but it doesn't sound right to my ears for everyday usage.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Rudolf Walter Wanderone popularly known as Minnesota Fats or New York Fats, was an American professional billiards player
Fats was a great pool shooter, but an even better promoter and hustler. He won the money games. Willie Mosconi was known as the consumate pool player. He was efficient and quiet and came across as cold and aloof. But Fats was gregarious and boastful and playful. Fats lost to Mosconi in a televised eight ball match on ABC's Wide World of Sports in the late seventies. In the eighties there was a rematch with Fats, Mosconi, Steve Mizerak, and some other guy I don't recall. Fats ran his mouth and drove Mosconi nuts, and that day beat Willie in a game of seven ball. On his tombstone it reads "I beat every living creature on earth, St Peter. Rack 'em up."

I know this stuff because I spent the formative years of my life growing up in Nick's Pool Hall outside of Pittsburgh, Pa. There was a duck pins bowling alley upstairs, and a local tavern next store. You walked down a long, narrow, dark wooden floor hallway to get to the doorway. Fats was a legend, and Greek Nicky told us stories about the old, great ones. He also cleaned and blocked hats there and the chemical smell mixed with cigar and cigarette smoke greatly improved our young minds. There were some good shooters at Nicks, and a few good hustlers but none like the Fat Man. I racked a million sets in that place. I still miss the place from time to time!

Reaction Score
I like Paige, but if we had to choose...Pistol Paige....her HS coach said that's who she reminded him of.

Reaction Score
The New Haven Register dubbed Paige by this moniker. The name is obviously a play on "Minnesota Fats," a character from Walter Tevis's "The Hustler" (book and film). Tevis also wrote the sequel "The Color of Money" (book and film) as well as the screenplay for "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid," and "The Queen's Gambit." Quite an output.
I raise this moniker issue, as several of you seem to be searching for something distinctive to call Paige. Most know that in high
Paige Unspellable?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Um, I already said this in a previous post, but perhaps it bears repeating here since it seems to be pertinent.

The future back court of Paige and Azzi should be known (in view of Azzi's fabled jump shot) as "PB and the J". What else could it be?

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Fats was a great pool shooter, but an even better promoter and hustler. He won the money games. Willie Mosconi was known as the consumate pool player. He was efficient and quiet and came across as cold and aloof. But Fats was gregarious and boastful and playful. Fats lost to Mosconi in a televised eight ball match on ABC's Wide World of Sports in the late seventies. In the eighties there was a rematch with Fats, Mosconi, Steve Mizerak, and some other guy I don't recall. Fats ran his mouth and drove Mosconi nuts, and that day beat Willie in a game of seven ball. On his tombstone it reads "I beat every living creature on earth, St Peter. Rack 'em up."

I know this stuff because I spent the formative years of my life growing up in Nick's Pool Hall outside of Pittsburgh, Pa. There was a duck pins bowling alley upstairs, and a local tavern next store. You walked down a long, narrow, dark wooden floor hallway to get to the doorway. Fats was a legend, and Greek Nicky told us stories about the old, great ones. He also cleaned and blocked hats there and the chemical smell mixed with cigar and cigarette smoke greatly improved our young minds. There were some good shooters at Nicks, and a few good hustlers but none like the Fat Man. I racked a million sets in that place. I still miss the place from time to time!
Good stuff, Bama. Interestingly, I think the best obituary I read about Mosconi was written by Steve Rushin (Yes, the husband of you-know-who) for Sports Illustrated. It's worth a Google to find it.

A sample from Rushin: He really did run 526 consecutive balls in a straight-pool exhibition in Springfield, Ohio, calling the ball and pocket before every shot. "I never did miss," Mosconi said. "I just got tired and quit."

Rushin ends the piece by saying of Mosconi, "He didn't die. He just got tired and quit."

Reaction Score

Nicely written, Bama.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I am a little surprised that most of us are still spelling out Paige and not taking the typical Boneyard shortcut of PB. I wonder if that is some type of subliminal sign of respect (or awe).

There has been some discussion of what do call Caroline Ducharme but that has to do with the number of beloved CD's.
By this time next year lets hope we can call her "Sweet Caroline"

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
At various points in the games, I call her Paige Pull-up. That shot is deadly. So is Azzi's.

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
Just watched a video on YouTube and in the comments someone called her
The Slim Reaper. LOL

Paige is ok with "Buckets", and count me on board as well.

Am also thinking, perhaps, Big Shot Bueckers? Kind of a Robert Horry thing, I know.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom