"Minnesota Slim" | The Boneyard

"Minnesota Slim"

Reaction Score
The New Haven Register dubbed Paige by this moniker. The name is obviously a play on "Minnesota Fats," a character from Walter Tevis's "The Hustler" (book and film). Tevis also wrote the sequel "The Color of Money" (book and film) as well as the screenplay for "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid," and "The Queen's Gambit." Quite an output.
I raise this moniker issue, as several of you seem to be searching for something distinctive to call Paige. Most know that in high school she was nicknamed "Buckets" (my favorite). On the BY, she hasn't found a consensus of what, if anything, to call her besides her given name. Oh, and "generational."
Today appears to be a slow day on this site, so maybe you'd like to bat around some possible nicknames. Maybe the Minnesota Magician, or the Hopkins Houdini, or Miss Magic. "Minnesota Slim" is pretty good, IMO, but may be a bit long for regular use. Of course just calling her Paige works well; few use her last name because it's unspellable.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
The name is obviously a play on "Minnesota Fats," a character from Walter Tevis's "The Hustler" (book and film). Tevis also wrote the sequel "The Color of Money" (book and film) as well as the screenplay for "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid," and "The Queen's Gambit."
Rudolf Walter Wanderone popularly known as Minnesota Fats or New York Fats, was an American professional billiards player

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
I am a little surprised that most of us are still spelling out Paige and not taking the typical Boneyard shortcut of PB. I wonder if that is some type of subliminal sign of respect (or awe).

There has been some discussion of what do call Caroline Ducharme but that has to do with the number of beloved CD's.

Reaction Score
I am a little surprised that most of us are still spelling out Paige and not taking the typical Boneyard shortcut of PB. I wonder if that is some type of subliminal sign of respect (or awe).

There has been some discussion of what do call Caroline Ducharme but that has to do with the number of beloved CD's.
OK. Now name 3 other Husky CDs (past and/or present).
I've been wondering how to learn Paige's last name, and I've come up with this: "Boo-Ek." Bu-eck-ers.
Try it. You can always to back to Buckets. Go ahead: "Bend it like Buechers."

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
i don't recall any need to have alternatives to sue or maya or tina ... of course, diana was a mouthful, so she was often called d

but paige ... geez, it's just one syllable. sort of flows, easy to pronounce. ... naw. it won't do. must be something better

Reaction Score
Now I know why Breanna calls Paige "Bucket".

Is Stewie reading the BY? Has any Husky player ever been a confirmed reader of this site? If so, we'll have to clean up the spelling and grammar. Come back, Kibitzer.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I have a feeling she's going to be like Diana, Sue and Stewie (or Cher, Adele, etc. :))... one name - Paige. It is noteworthy that Stewie (and others) are using 'Bucket' or 'Buckets' on Social Media. Most nicknames that really stick are those that are validated by teammates or peers, so maybe that one has a chance.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
The New Haven Register dubbed Paige by this moniker. The name is obviously a play on "Minnesota Fats," a character from Walter Tevis's "The Hustler" (book and film). Tevis also wrote the sequel "The Color of Money" (book and film) as well as the screenplay for "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid," and "The Queen's Gambit." Quite an output.
I raise this moniker issue, as several of you seem to be searching for something distinctive to call Paige. Most know that in high school she was nicknamed "Buckets" (my favorite). On the BY, she hasn't found a consensus of what, if anything, to call her besides her given name. Oh, and "generational."
Today appears to be a slow day on this site, so maybe you'd like to bat around some possible nicknames. Maybe the Minnesota Magician, or the Hopkins Houdini, or Miss Magic. "Minnesota Slim" is pretty good, IMO, but may be a bit long for regular use. Of course just calling her Paige works well; few use her last name because it's unspellable.
"No bar, no pinball machines, no bowling alleys, just pool... nothing else. This is Ames mister."

Now, substitute "basketball" for "pool" and "Gampel" for "Ames" and you've got something.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It's already too late for a second opinion. On most media sites and on YouTube they're calling her "Buckets", for what it's worth.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
OK. Now name 3 other Husky CDs (past and/or present).
I've been wondering how to learn Paige's last name, and I've come up with this: "Boo-Ek." Bu-eck-ers.
Try it. You can always to back to Buckets. Go ahead: "Bend it like Buechers."
Chris Daily aka CD, Caroline Doty aka CD2, Crystal Dangerfield aka Crystal Dangerfield. these are the 'beloved' 3 CD's although there is probably more.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Agree that "Minnesota Slim" is a clever nickname but Paige and her teammates probably are too young to know that Paul McCartney played in a band before Wings, let alone have any inkling who Minnesota Fats was. I think @psconn had it right when he wrote "Most nicknames that really stick are those that are validated by teammates or peers." So let's ask Nika.

Reaction Score
Is Stewie reading the BY? Has any Husky player ever been a confirmed reader of this site? If so, we'll have to clean up the spelling and grammar. Come back, Kibitzer.
I think Azzi reads BY special posts for Paige ... ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom