May 2021 recruiting thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

May 2021 recruiting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UCONN taking both KK and Kiki in '22 would be unwise. It would put the roster at a the maximum allowable of 15 and provide no flexibility to add a impact transfer in a very volatile transfer market. It would also put the roster at 7 guards (Fudd, Bransford, Bueckers, Muhl, Poffenbarger, Ducharme, & Rice) & provide untenable situation where 2 UCONN guards (Buckers & Fudd) are expected to be NPOY candidates and will require ~ 30 Minutes per game to get there. If I'm not mistaken you have pizzas riding on Buckers > 30 MPG. Poffenbarger, Ducharme were both projected to play some wing however with the additions of post size (DeBerry 6'5" Juhasz 6'4" and Brady 6'3" ) competition at that wing position would also be stressed an would now have to include (Senior Griffin, McClean, & Patterson). KK and Kiki are both terrific players and so Isai. UCONN adding 1 would of these players would be a great addition.
Yea I think many forget that the guards/wings got more playing time last year, because we went small ball quite a bit last year with one of those players as an undersized 4. With the emergence of Aaliyah likely locking down that position, two very good players available to back her up in Aubrey and Dorka and a third in Mir that would probably be pretty good if needed, small ball in my opinion is in the rear view mirror. Next year there could be as much if not more reason to use someone like Aubrey at the 3, than a wing at the 4.

I probably don't think Geno would do that often, but if it was an end of game or period situation where we needed a stop, I think Aubrey should be in the game at the 2 or 3. The year after I could see Patterson at the 3 and Aubrey at the 2 in a similar end of period defensive lineup. I was surprised when I saw Patterson in one clip defending on the perimeter and her quickness and length reminded me a great deal of Scottie Pippin. I don't know if she can play that position well from an offensive standpoint, but defensively she would be a pretty sure thing stopper there.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If both KiKi & KK decide to come to UConn, which is a long shot imo, the 2022-23 roster would total 14, not 15, assuming that Evina, Liv, Christyn & Dorka all move on to the pros after next season. As for competition for PT, it’s no different than the situation that would have been created at C/F had Cardoso come to Storrs. As far as owing someone a pizza if I lose the bet on Paige’s PT, I think my bank account will be OK if it comes to that.
Dorka has indicated that she intends to stay two years which would equal a roster of 15. The competition at the guard position is starkly different than the post competition that would have been created if Cardoso had been added to the roster: 1) Cardoso would have been competing for minutes with Amari, Aaliyah Dorka, Mir and ONO= No AA players. 2) Kiki and KK will be competing against a former NCAA NPOY (Paige) and another player that many regard as a generational talent AZZI = consecutive HS Naismith award winners.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Dorka has indicated that she intends to stay two years which would equal a roster of 15. The competition at the guard position is starkly different than the post competition that would have been created if Cardoso had been added to the roster: 1) Cardoso would have been competing for minutes with Amari, Aaliyah Dorka, Mir and ONO= No AA players. 2) Kiki and KK will be competing against a former NCAA NPOY (Paige) and another player that many regard as a generational talent AZZI = consecutive HS Naismith award winners.
I wouldn’t bet a pizza on Dorka being around for 2 years. Other than Paige, there are no AA players on UConn, yet. Certainly Aaliyah has the potential to be one, and we’ll see about Amari, Dorka and Ice.

But here’s the crux of the matter. For years Geno could generally pick and choose who he wanted. That changed after the Big 3 class in 2012. UConn had a number of high profile misses including Wilson, Cox, Collier and the watershed in 2019 when the Huskies lost out on Boston, Horston & Jones. Somewhere in there I remember Geno making the statement, “There is no Plan B.”

Geno was left with one commitment in 2019: Aubrey. He had to scramble to get players, bringing in Anna from Poland, and 2 transfers, one that didn’t work out and a 2nd that was ruled ineligible by the NCAA.

From that point on, Geno made a significant change in his recruiting strategy to go after more players earlier, backing up one strong class after another. In a sense, he started doing exactly what Dawn, Tara, Brenda and other HC’s had been doing for years, recruiting over prior classes and letting the chips fall where they may.

As I said, I don’t think UConn will get both KiKi and KK. I do hope they get one or the other, and if they’re better than one or more of the returning players on the roster, and they can help UConn win a championship, that’s fine by me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would say one or none of those two and wait for 22 and try for Del Rosario, Cunningham, Fulwiley, Watkins, and/or K Arnold in 23.
Yep. I agree. I like what that class is offering A LOT.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
But here’s the crux of the matter. For years Geno could generally pick and choose who he wanted. That changed after the Big 3 class in 2012. UConn had a number of high profile misses including Wilson, Cox, Collier and the watershed in 2019 when the Huskies lost out on Boston, Horston & Jones. Somewhere in there I remember Geno making the statement, “There is no Plan B.”
I'll disagree here. Geno has never been able to pick and choose who he wanted, and there have been significant misses throughout the years. He has gotten more than his share of the great players, but there have also been consistent players he wanted that went elsewhere. And since 2012 he has also had a number of high profile wins pretty much the same as always.

The lean year or two following a really good year have been a constant as well dating back to the 2000 class after the 1999 TAASK and the 2004 class after the 2003 reload.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'll disagree here. Geno has never been able to pick and choose who he wanted, and there have been significant misses throughout the years. He has gotten more than his share of the great players, but there have also been consistent players he wanted that went elsewhere. And since 2012 he has also had a number of high profile wins pretty much the same as always.

The lean year or two following a really good year have been a constant as well dating back to the 2000 class after the 1999 TAASK and the 2024 class after the 2023 reload.
Perhaps a better characterization of Geno’s previous recruiting strategy would have been that he was extremely selective, often waiting out top recruits right down to the wire. He won several championships with really short benches.

I can never remember Geno loading up a roster like the current one with one top class after another, including foreign recruits as well as transfers. Next year UConn will legitimately have 14 players capable of starting for many D1 programs.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I wouldn’t bet a pizza on Dorka being around for 2 years. Other than Paige, there are no AA players on UConn, yet. Certainly Aaliyah has the potential to be one, and we’ll see about Amari, Dorka and Ice.

Geno was left with one commitment in 2019: Aubrey. He had to scramble to get players, bringing in Anna from Poland, and 2 transfers, one that didn’t work out and a 2nd that was ruled ineligible by the NCAA.

From that point on, Geno made a significant change in his recruiting strategy to go after more players earlier, backing up one strong class after another. In a sense, he started doing exactly what Dawn, Tara, Brenda and other HC’s had been doing for years, recruiting over prior classes and letting the chips fall where they may.

As I said, I don’t think UConn will get both KiKi and KK. I do hope they get one or the other, and if they’re better than one or more of the returning players on the roster, and they can help UConn win a championship, that’s fine by me.
I strongly disagree with most of this. From that point on is only 2 years ago. The UCONN class of 2020 which included 6 freshman was out of necessity and not the result of a significant change in recruiting strategy. Even with a 6 player incoming class the roster was still only at 11 players. Since Paige was included in that class I understand the desire to call it a "strong" class but that is TBD. Similarly the class of 21 with Azzi has the potential to be a "strong" class but that is also TBD. Dawn, Tara, Brenda have not had strong recruiting classes on top of strong recruiting class. those programs have been very much like UCONN in the sense that a strong recruiting class has been followed by a lesser class. For example, the 2019 SC recruiting class which netted 3 Freshman starters was followed up by a recruiting class of 1. There is also previous little evidence to suggest that the UCONN recruiting staff is going after players "earlier". Brady committed to UCONN as a sophomore which is the only recent UCONN commitment that might be considered earlier than usual. AEH was also a HS Sophomore commitment-that was 6 years ago. In today's recruiting world if you were not in on players like Paige and Azzi before they got to HS you were late to the party. Lastly and probably most egregious, Geno is not a "let the chips fall where they may" kind of guy like Jeff Walz. Geno is and will continue to be extremely selective and meticulous about the player he recruits for this program. Geno is fiercely (perhaps to a fault) loyal to his players-he does not and will not "recruit over prior classes" as you are suggesting.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno is fiercely (perhaps to a fault) loyal to his players-he does not and will not "recruit over prior classes" as you are suggesting.
I can’t help but think that roles have been reversed here. You have been a strong advocate for Geno “recruiting” both Dorka & Cardoso “over” Amari, Piath and even Liv. I was much more of an advocate for not doing so on transfers, but I’ve always believed you recruit the best HS players you can and then let them compete for PT.

As someone who occasionally takes a contrarian position myself, I must say that I marvel at your contrarian take on this subject.

Last edited:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I'll tell you, my head is spinning right now. We are viewing all these videos of girls in the class of 23,24,25, and even 26. I am getting excited about players that won't be eligible to sign a LOI until 3,4 or 5 years from now. I know its exciting to see these young stars, but my attention is on 22,23, and yes possibly 24. Those prospects are the responsibility of Morgan, Jemelle, and CD. Genos take has apparently changed in the last few years, with the class of 19 being the last straw. Losses in the F4 five years in a row may have wakened him to the fact that with the stress and high energy displayed in these games, 6 or 7 players are not enough to sustain his style of play at the level that is needed to win. We are in danger of having SC overtake us as the dominant program, only because of the talent Dawn can recruit. Actually, she over recruits. Geno seemed always to be satisfied with about a 12 team roster, but Dawn has around 14 or 15 players available. Its true that she may lose 2 just about every year, but there is always enough on the roster to challenge for the NC. Geno seems to be turning to that strategy, loading up if he can, having more to his disposal at all times. He now has alot of talent, now the big question is how will he use it to bring us back as the dominant program that everyone fears. It appears he is changing, so this coming season could be the most exciting in the last 10 years for the program. We have all speculated, and now we all have to wait for the long summer to pass until Paige and company leads us to the top of the mountain. After the Pandemic, I couldn't wait for this summer, but now, it won't end soon enough. LOL

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I can’t help but think that roles have been reversed here. You have been a strong advocate for Geno “recruiting” both Dorka & Cardoso “over” Amari, Piath and even Liv. I was much more of an advocate for not doing so on transfers, but I’ve always believed you recruit the best HS players you can and then let them compete for PT.

As someone who occasionally takes a contrarian position myself, I must say that I marvel at your contrarian take on this subject.
You are not so much being a contrarian as you are being confused. Confusing what I'm advocating for vs what Geno would actually do or has done. Very similar to when you incorrectly & categorically stated that Geno would not be interested in Dorka. BTW I never advocated for the addition of Dorka & Cardosa "over" Amari, Piath or Liv. I advocated for Dorka & Cardosa "in addition to" Amari and Liv and continue to hope for the development of Piath.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Perhaps a better characterization of Geno’s previous recruiting strategy would have been that he was extremely selective, often waiting out top recruits right down to the wire. He won several championships with really short benches.

I can never remember Geno loading up a roster like the current one with one top class after another, including foreign recruits as well as transfers. Next year UConn will legitimately have 14 players capable of starting for many D1 programs.
I'll raise you one and say that of his 14 players capable of starting for not many but for most D1 programs. Granted there may be one or two players on our roster that don't fit in this thought.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You are not so much being a contrarian as you are being confused. Confusing what I'm advocating for vs what Geno would actually do or has done. Very similar to when you incorrectly & categorically stated that Geno would not be interested in Dorka. BTW I never advocated for the addition of Dorka & Cardosa "over" Amari, Piath or Liv. I advocated for Dorka & Cardosa "in addition to" Amari and Liv and continue to hope for the development of Piath.
Let’s be clear. If Dorka and Cardoso both showed up next season, and hung around for at least two seasons in Storrs, they wouldn’t be at UConn just to play mop-up minutes in the 4th qtr of blowouts. A rough estimate would be that they would combine for anywhere from 30-50 mpg. That would dramatically reduce the mpg and development for many UConn players recruited out of HS including Liv, Aubrey, Piath, Mir, Amari and Ice at a minimum

If you don’t want to refer to that as recruiting “over” and prefer the softer characterization of “addition to” that’s fine. But at the end of the day the minutes will always add up to 200 per game, and I suspect your distinction would be lost on the players sitting on the bench.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I'll tell you, my head is spinning right now. We are viewing all these videos of girls in the class of 23,24,25, and even 26. I am getting excited about players that won't be eligible to sign a LOI until 3,4 or 5 years from now. I know its exciting to see these young stars, but my attention is on 22,23, and yes possibly 24. Those prospects are the responsibility of Morgan, Jemelle, and CD. Genos take has apparently changed in the last few years, with the class of 19 being the last straw. Losses in the F4 five years in a row may have wakened him to the fact that with the stress and high energy displayed in these games, 6 or 7 players are not enough to sustain his style of play at the level that is needed to win. We are in danger of having SC overtake us as the dominant program, only because of the talent Dawn can recruit. Actually, she over recruits. Geno seemed always to be satisfied with about a 12 team roster, but Dawn has around 14 or 15 players available. Its true that she may lose 2 just about every year, but there is always enough on the roster to challenge for the NC. Geno seems to be turning to that strategy, loading up if he can, having more to his disposal at all times. He now has alot of talent, now the big question is how will he use it to bring us back as the dominant program that everyone fears. It appears he is changing, so this coming season could be the most exciting in the last 10 years for the program. We have all speculated, and now we all have to wait for the long summer to pass until Paige and company leads us to the top of the mountain. After the Pandemic, I couldn't wait for this summer, but now, it won't end soon enough. LOL
Does UConn have losses in the last five FF?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Let’s be clear. If Dorka and Cardoso both showed up next season, and hung around for at least two seasons in Storrs, they wouldn’t be at UConn just to play mop-up minutes in the 4th qtr of blowouts. A rough estimate would be that they would combine for anywhere from 30-50 mpg. That would dramatically reduce the mpg and development for many UConn players recruited out of HS including Liv, Aubrey, Piath, Mir, Amari and Ice at a minimum

If you don’t want to refer to that as recruiting “over” and prefer the softer characterization of “addition to” that’s fine. But at the end of the day the minutes will always add up to 200 per game, and I suspect your distinction would be lost on the players sitting on the bench.
Let me be even more clear your "if that had happened" didn't so hypothetically speaking your softer characterization is unnecessary.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Let me be even more clear "if that had happened" didn't so hypothetically speaking your softer characterization is unnecessary.
I normally try not to be critical of ungrammatical statements on the BY, but I must confess that I have no idea what you’re attempting to say in the prior sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom