Marquette Post Game Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Sorry if it was already posted, but does anyone know what Cam said to be T'd up? Was the T because of what he said, or just the fact that he was talking to Marquette?
I don't think it was what he said as much as it was his demonstrative actions were directed at the Marquette bench.

xclamations

Back2Back2
Reaction Score
It's not about the individual accolades, but I'd love to see a performance that gets him the 11th BE FoTW and break the tie with Carmelo for most ever in a season.
me too ! If he doesn't get it thats fine,. Ultimately BE tourney title and back 2 back are the end goals. But its nice seeing COY/Tristan etc getting media love

Reaction Score
His 2 shots came with 17 seconds and 15 seconds on the shot clock, and both were wide open 3's. There were no early forced shots. He needs to be taking those shots every single time, because it's the shot our offense is designed to get
He is shooting 21% from three. That's 8 points worse than Andre Jackson. He needs to move the ball and put himself in a position where he can actually score. Then, when he is warmed up and part of the offense, if he gets an open look, take a three.

Look how many open threes Castle has passed up, even Spencer passes them up when we are moving the ball. Learn from their example.

Reaction Score
He is shooting 21% from three. That's 8 points worse than Andre Jackson. He needs to move the ball and put himself in a position where he can actually score. Then, when he is warmed up and part of the offense, if he gets an open look, take a three.

Look how many open threes Castle has passed up, even Spencer passes them up when we are moving the ball. Learn from their example.
They pass up contested 3's, not wide open ones like Stewart is taking. This isn't hard. It's also a sample of 28 attempts so drawing any large conclusion from 28 3's is crazy

Reaction Score
They pass up contested 3's, not wide open ones like Stewart is taking. This isn't hard. It's also a sample of 28 attempts so drawing any large conclusion from 28 3's is crazy
No, they often pass up good looks for better looks. Castle does it multiple times a game. So does Newton, often. Watch. That's what Stewart needs to do. If it's the end of the shot clock fine. Did you ever wonder why he is so wide open? Defenses will give him that all day long.

His defense has been very good. He has earned his minutes. But the first possession he comes in, he can't wait to fire from three.

Reaction Score
No, they often pass up good looks for better looks. Castle does it multiple times a game. So does Newton, often. Watch. That's what Stewart needs to do. If it's the end of the shot clock fine. Did you ever wonder why he is so wide open? Defenses will give him that all day long.

His defense has been very good. He has earned his minutes. But the first possession he comes in, he can't wait to fire from three.
Respectfully I think you have no idea what you're watching. I hope defenses keep leaving him open, because it's a great shot for him to take and he's going to regress to the mean and start making them in bunches

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Watch his first several games, when Hurley was building out the roster after Castle came back from surgery, and then had to hugely pivot in case the Clingan injured was more serious or did not heal well. It was a delicate balancing act of competing priorities.

There were posters claiming Stewart should have been brought in earlier, and then that teammates were overlooking Stewart on purpose so that he wouldn't be able to get necessary minutes, get shots, get reps, get into the line-up. I saw a young freshman who played with a sense of caution and mistake-avoidance. I couldn't tell if he lacked confidence or was just doing his workman-like job, and demonstrating buy-in regarding his role.

He clearly acquired and has retained the coaching staff's confidence to play him, and then he started shooting.

In the DePaul game that served as load-up for the final 6 BE games, he hit 3 threes. Had he turned the corner? Not rilly regarding shooting, but ge has steadily gotten minutes, frequently in the first half.

Yes, his first three generally doesn't drop, but it doesn't look out of flow. I'd like it to go in, and maybe it won't this year. And maybe it will. To be determined.

I don't get the impression that he's going against how he's being coached, and he's become a good additional piece who will likely help in the upcoming season of tournaments.

Your suggestion might be helpful. I don't know.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
A lot of those are caused by the guy he's screening for missing his spot or his timing...

That's fine. If the guy he is screening for runs wrong, just stand still. It just means the offense has to keep moving around. But shifting your hips or shuffling your feet right before defender makes contact is an obvious call every time and a waste of a foul.

Reaction Score
Yet less than half of that time was in whatever people here think is a prevent offense. The issue was nobody was making shots, and that includes they got an open shot early and just missed it
Yep that is the recipe for disaster. I hate when a team does that !

Reaction Score
One thing that was different that we did in this game was this lineup:

Castle
Cam
Stewart
Karaban
Clingan

Made my personal views very happy to see Castle out there running the show by himself. Wonder if Hurley tries to let him do that more down the stretch to show NBA scouts he’s capable of being their PG now that we have the Big East locked up.

In general would love to see more of Castle initiating the offense and Newton playing that 2G scorer spot (since I think that’s where scouts projected him during him testing the waters last year too). Newton is kind of an Austin Reaves type of prospect.

I think we should do whatever is best for the team and not a freshman trying to show case his talent for the NBA.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I think we should do whatever is best for the team and not a freshman trying to show case his talent for the NBA.
Fwiw the lineup was +6 and scored every time down the floor while only allowing one made FG for Marquette. It was also good for the team!

Starts at 19:40

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I hope the reason we saw this lineup with Clingan, JStew and AK in the game is because JStew is making Danny find a way to play him because of how well he is practicing. You know he is not going to take AK out. They need Clingan in the game so his only option is to play them together. I could see this lineup keeping Houston off the offensive boards if we end up playing them in tourney.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Another good one in the can. I could pick a couple nits but why? Team just needs to stay focused and rested and good things will come.

Reaction Score
Cam's three moved us from 67 to 70 points. Marquette ended the game with 67 points. Somehow Cam knew the future and that is why he celebrated and berated and got the T.

Once again Stewart comes in and jacks up a three on his first offensive possession. Clank. I can only remember once when that first one went it (Xavier?). He is shooting 21% from three. What is he thinking? He needs to get in the flow of the game before missing his first three.

Wide open he needs to take that shot I’m good with it. He will make some when he’s the guy maybe even sooner.

Reaction Score
P
Hi Guys,

First, as a Marquette fan, I'll start by saying that you are clearly the best team in the conference this year. I want to dislike Hurley so much, but I can't, maybe my original dislike was just jealousy, but i respect him and what he's built there. I enjoy playing UConn and love that there seems to be this respectful rivalry brewing. Best of luck in every game that isn't against us.

With that said, I'm going to the BET with a buddy who is a UConn Alum, we wound up having two extra tickets because i was able to get tickets through our MU ticket allotment and I wanted to see if anyone needs a couple full-session seats. I figured since him and I split them, I'd offer them to both MU and UConn fans. Section 219, row 6. just looking to get out what we paid for them. $800 each. figure this is a way avoid the ridiculous fees from broker sites. Thanks, and go Big East

Please PM me if they are still available. Your profile is not allowing private message.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Wide open he needs to take that shot I’m good with it. He will make some when he’s the guy maybe even sooner.
There’s a strong correlation between becoming a main guy for Hurley and raising your level of play. Which is why I’m not worried about Solo or Stewart or Ross next year. They just need the leash and they’ll be good.

We just desperately need a big.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom