Marquette Post Game Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post Game Thread

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I’ll admit I don’t know what goes into the AdjO/AdjD rankings, but Houston certainly does not look like the 12th best offense in the country when i’ve watched them.
And they are certainly not the 12th best offensive team if we are the 14th best defensive team. Even before the recent injury the biggest concern every expert had regarding Houston was if they could score enough to be a threat in the tournament. If they are the 12th best offensive team that should not be a concern. What up with that KP score is my question.

Reaction Score
Shooters take wide open 3s. And those reps are earned in practice. If you start policing those shots as a coach, you're just going to kill his confidence.
If my memory serves me, he wasn't off by much. He's got a nice stroke.

I think he's going to light it up next season, getting more minutes and having a greater role. It really helps a shooter knowing that they are going to get extended minutes and allowed to take as many as half dozen threes or so, knowing they're likely to knock down a third or more of them.

He and Ball seem to have textbook form on their 3s. The future looks bright for both. Hopefully this sesson both of them will continue to learn and be capable of knocking down at least one three if given the opportunity. I don't mind those 3s especially when he's so open and we have a solid lead. I'm not sure I want him as the one taking 3 late in a very close game unless the shot clock is close to expiring.

Reaction Score
And they are certainly not the 12th best offensive team if we are the 14th best defensive team. Even before the recent injury the biggest concern every expert had regarding Houston was if they could score enough to be a threat in the tournament. If they are the 12th best offensive team that should not be a concern. What up with that KP score is my question.

All of the analytics websites have Houston around that rank on offense. This is all eye test--I don't know the analytics by heart--but I'm guessing their terrific offensive rebounding, super low TOs, and low # of possessions are playing into it. Those are hallmarks of Houston teams.

Reaction Score
They don't turn the ball over and get a ton of offensive rebounds, so even though they don't shoot it particularly well they're still able to have a lot of successful possessions on offense

Reaction Score
If my memory serves me, he wasn't off by much. He's got a nice stroke.

I think he's going to light it up next season, getting more minutes and having a greater role. It really helps a shooter knowing that they are going to get extended minutes and allowed to take as many as half dozen threes or so, knowing they're likely to knock down a third or more of them.

He and Ball seem to have textbook form on their 3s. The future looks bright for both. Hopefully this sesson both of them will continue to learn and be capable of knocking down at least one three if given the opportunity. I don't mind those 3s especially when he's so open and we have a solid lead. I'm not sure I want him as the one taking 3 late in a very close game unless the shot clock is close to expiring.

Generally agree... Stewart has a good stroke, just needs reps at game speed and more minutes in his role. Next season he's going to be a much better player for us. He has a deep bag off the dribble he hasn't been able to put to work this year. I highly doubt he has a role like Alex did this (or even last) season, but I think he could give us a productive 20mpg like Hassan is this season.

I won't say that Ball has a textbook stroke. His footwork is janky and inconsistent off the catch vs dribble, and his release is a bit stiff and flat. It's also much improve from where he was 18 months ago, so I expect continued improvement.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Why? That term was immortalized by JC describing his actual neighborhood brawls growing up as analogy to near brawls of some Big East games.
I didn't realize that but it's overused here imo.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
It seemed like once Oso picked up his early second foul refs let him do what he wanted knowing they weren’t going to let him foul out and it showed by how aggressive he was for a guy with 2 early fouls
He'd already led in with a hard shoulder, pushed off with a stiff arm, and inspired me to ask my sister if maybe they'd call him for such initiated contacts under "3rd time's a charm" theory. She was doubtful. That they'd called a foul on the defensive end came as a surprise to me when he picked up the one that put him on the bench.

He finished the game with 2 fouls. Only Joplin ever picked up a 3rd foul.

UConn's depth, and having 5 or more 3-point threats was rather necessary as fouls built up.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
What is the defense since the return of a healthy Donovan? I still feel these KenPom numbers feel skewed
A number of posters have shared this intuitive sense, and a couple of the ones who look into such numbers have confirmed these impressions.

It's enough for me to casually offer that belief that it's a top 5 defense since Clingan's return from injury, but I'm not certain, and I don't know how the games (like Creighton) where he sat because of early fouls impacted things.

We pretty much all 'just know' that UConn with Clingan measures out as elite on both ends of the floor.

I'd welcome anyone with data to add to or correct me.

Reaction Score
They don't turn the ball over and get a ton of offensive rebounds, so even though they don't shoot it particularly well they're still able to have a lot of successful possessions on offense
I understand that. But they are 165th in PPG and 241st in FG%. That has to weigh a lot. But again, I don’t really understand the formula for AdjO so.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Is it me or these networks only list and speak to negative UConn stats?
We have not beaten a ranked team on the road since 2014. Not understanding how going to Seattle to beat Gonzaga is not considered a road game.
They never list any negatives about our opponents. When was the last time Marquette won a national title?
Just us.
It's hard to be king, no matter the pay.

Reaction Score
He'd already led in with a hard shoulder, pushed off with a stiff arm, and inspired me to ask my sister if maybe they'd call him for such initiated contacts under "3rd time's a charm" theory. She was doubtful. That they'd called a foul on the defensive end came as a surprise to me when he picked up the one that put him on the bench.

He finished the game with 2 fouls. Only Joplin ever picked up a 3rd foul.

UConn's depth, and having 5 or more 3-point threats was rather necessary as fouls built up.
The hard shoulder didn't bother as much as the way he defended Clingan. He was routinely hooking arms with Donovan and trying to pull him out of position. Technically, those are flagrant 1 fouls but that call has fallen out of favor over the past few years.

I also think the conference referees got a message after the Uconn/Providence game to let up on the foul calls. I've watched a lot of BE basketball and there does seem to be a shift in the way games are called.

Reaction Score
I understand that. But they are 165th in PPG and 241st in FG%. That has to weigh a lot. But again, I don’t really understand the formula for AdjO so.
But that's largely a factor of how slow they play, they're 165th in PPG but they're 28th in points per possession

Reaction Score
He’s not running for office. I love it
I'm not saying he should lose the edge altogether, just that there are better and worse times for letting it fly. Kind of like how there are good technicals and bad ones for coaches. The good ones inspire the team, the bad ones inspire the opposition, as we saw last night. That said, the call was a fairly weak one.

Reaction Score
But that's largely a factor of how slow they play, they're 165th in PPG but they're 28th in points per possession
Fine. But are they ~Top 15 in many other offensive analytics? Seems like something has to be balancing it out towards the top end.

Reaction Score
He needs to get rid of the ball rather than hold the ball and hope for the foul, which is what he was doing. Spencer and Karaban are both excellent free throw shooters, and Castle has been really good lately too, so Newton can pass to them. I'm sure the coaches will talk to him about that.

Newton needs to wake up at the end of the game ! He had the ball taken out of his hands and held the ball too long on the inbound plays. He was lucky that they didn't call a tie up when he held the ball too long. He is lazy at times .

Reaction Score
Fine. But are they ~Top 15 in many other offensive analytics? Seems like something has to be balancing it out towards the top end.
#4 in turnover %, #7 in offensive rebound percentage. I think the second one is the big one, it's why the early Hurley years UConn teams generally still ranked high in offensive efficiency despite running an objectively ugly offense

Reaction Score
I don’t know that Oso pushed off that much, he was just allowed to lower his shoulder and displace the defender. I’m fine with some leeway there and didn’t have an issue with most of the non-calls but there was one specifically where he dropped his shoulder into Clingan and sent him staggering back a few steps. Truly mind boggling that one wasn’t called. Clear offensive foul.
I can't believe these blind Refs don't call that ! He rammed into him several times to move Clinigan and nothing was called. Hurley has got to bring that to the dummy Refs attention.

Reaction Score
#4 in turnover %, #7 in offensive rebound percentage. I think the second one is the big one, it's why the early Hurley years UConn teams generally still ranked high in offensive efficiency despite running an objectively ugly offense
Interesting. Those two do seem important. Would think their FG% would pull them down a lot too though.

Reaction Score
Sorry if it was already posted, but does anyone know what Cam said to be T'd up? Was the T because of what he said, or just the fact that he was talking to Marquette?

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
They miss a lot of shots but get offensive rebounds and eventually score when they are on the offensive end. What I wonder is if it counts as one more possession if they get an offensive rebound the other team never has possession then it could be considered the same possession. But it seems as long as a team can keep them off the offensive boards they have a very good chance to win. Probably easier said than done since they have done so well in a pretty good conference.

Reaction Score
Hi Guys,

First, as a Marquette fan, I'll start by saying that you are clearly the best team in the conference this year. I want to dislike Hurley so much, but I can't, maybe my original dislike was just jealousy, but i respect him and what he's built there. I enjoy playing UConn and love that there seems to be this respectful rivalry brewing. Best of luck in every game that isn't against us.

With that said, I'm going to the BET with a buddy who is a UConn Alum, we wound up having two extra tickets because i was able to get tickets through our MU ticket allotment and I wanted to see if anyone needs a couple full-session seats. I figured since him and I split them, I'd offer them to both MU and UConn fans. Section 219, row 6. just looking to get out what we paid for them. $800 each. figure this is a way avoid the ridiculous fees from broker sites. Thanks, and go Big East

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
To be honest they haven’t lost doing this. Yeah sure it make us nervous but none of the losses have been because they ran the clock out.
Coach Hurley likely working on that skill

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom