Majority of P5 coaches only want P5 games | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Majority of P5 coaches only want P5 games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn and Navy to the ACC. Navy as a FB only and UConn for all sports. 16 for FB and 16 for BB. Locks up NYC and keeps ACC in Maryland. Additionally ND can honor their commitment to USNA and still play only P5's. Win-win-win.
I'd like to see the eastern privates blackball Navy lol!! That would be suicide perceptionwise.

Reaction Score
Correct. ND had promised Navy repeatedly that, out of gratitude, it will play Navy every year until/unless Navy says it now longer wants to do so.

A few years ago, ND asked Navy if it wanted to drop the series. Navy said no. ND said fine with us. I think a large portion of Navy's athletic budget comes from the Army/Navy and ND/Navy games.

I'll credit Whaler 11 with a more subtle message and it has nothing to do with ND and has everything to do with a nation's debt of gratitude. I think we all can agree that the service academies (and the heroes that they have produced) are the reason that any of our favored institutions, academic or otherwise, exist today. That is the important "history".

Reaction Score
Question. If P5 schools only scheduled other P5 schools, how could they ever have more than 6 home games? I can't see any P5 school doing anything other than a Home for Home. If this were the case and for argument sake saying half your conference games are home and half away, then half your OOC would also be home with half away. Some P5 even manage to get 8 home games. Losing one or two home games would be costly especially if you are talking the largest stadiums. Do they think the increased revenue would offset this or has no one thought of this?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Question. If P5 schools only scheduled other P5 schools, how could they ever have more than 6 home games? I can't see any P5 school doing anything other than a Home for Home. If this were the case and for argument sake saying half your conference games are home and half away, then half your OOC would also be home with half away. Some P5 even manage to get 8 home games. Losing one or two home games would be costly especially if you are talking the largest stadiums. Do they think the increased revenue would offset this or has no one thought of this?
I imagine these are off-the-cuff responses without thinking of the actual ramifications. Saban wants the rest of the SEC to strengthen their OOC so it benefits him in the playoff discussion. Same with FSU and Oklahoma. If Maryland wants to play a harder OOC so Ohio State can make the playoffs, god bless em. It won't benefit 80% of the P5.

Reaction Score
I'll credit Whaler 11 with a more subtle message and it has nothing to do with ND and has everything to do with a nation's debt of gratitude. I think we all can agree that the service academies (and the heroes that they have produced) are the reason that any of our favored institutions, academic or otherwise, exist today. That is the important "history".

Well, the Navy specifically and directly saved ND from closing its doors in World War II, since ND was an all male school then and most of its students were in the military.

The Navy opened up an officer's training school there, shipped thousands through during the war and paid ND to house, feed and provide classrooms.

If the Navy had not done that, ND would have gone bankrupt then. So, ND made a commitment to Navy that it will not break.

Reaction Score
The answer is to add games. A 14-game regular season is not that far off (the NCAA already allows for 13 games if you play Hawaii). I could see schedules going to 10 conferences games plus 3 OOC games plus the conference championship game.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
The majority of college coaches can't see past the nose on their face. After 2-3 years of a low-cupcake diet they'll be moaning about not having any breathers in their schedule.

Reaction Score
The majority of college coaches can't see past the nose on their face. After 2-3 years of a low-cupcake diet they'll be moaning about not having any breathers in their schedule.
There is going to be even more turnover at the head coach position in P5's once they drop non P5 non-con games.

Reaction Score
There is going to be even more turnover at the head coach position in P5's once they drop non P5 non-con games.

I'm all for it....maybe we can get back to a meaningful bowl season...and not have a 7-5 team going to a bowl with four wins over OOC cupcakes.

It has been the watering down of the bowls...and the expectation that all teams participate, that also impacts coach longevity. A year without a bowl and you are on the hot seat, or at least, a rapidly warming seat (Muschamp at Florida, Holgerson at WVU, etc).

Reaction Score
How will the bottom feeders get their W's? I guess make sure Purdue, Wake, Vandy, Kansas schedule each other...

Reaction Score
GazetteUMass 5:36pm via Hootsuite
UMass and Vandy are no longer playing at Gillette in 2018. UMass will receive $650,000 instead

Something stinks about this from a UMass perspective. The report is that Vandy approached UMass to change the date and UMass opted for the buy-out instead. Sounds strange coming from a team that may be trying to put an independent schedule together by then.

Reaction Score
How will the bottom feeders get their W's? I guess make sure Purdue, Wake, Vandy, Kansas schedule each other...

Maybe...if the "bottom feeders" can't chalk up four "W's" to OOC cupcakes, they may be forced to actually pay attention to football and winning in conference.

The OOC cupcakes throw a little lipstick on that pig and some fans can opine that, in the right light, she doesn't look that bad.

pj

Reaction Score
Something stinks about this from a UMass perspective. The report is that Vandy approached UMass to change the date and UMass opted for the buy-out instead. Sounds strange coming from a team that may be trying to put an independent schedule together by then.

Maybe the athletic director is planning to retire at the end of the year and his bonus depends on a budget surplus.

Reaction Score
Seven home games is now about the standard in the P5....each home game is worth millions to the larger programs.

FSU estimates that a home game is worth about $2.5 million....and additionally millions to hometown merchants.

With the cost of season tickets (with additional Booster contributions necessary for other then end zone or student seats), and the costs of travel and inflated hotel rooms (two night minimum stay), folks don't want to spend a premium to watch games against Troy or FIU.
Maybe not, but do you think other big names are going to come to Tallahassee and not demand a return game? The reason Troy and FIU are on the schedule is precisely because they'll let you get 7-8 home games. Alabama is going to make you travel to Tuskaloosa even if you are Florida State. Michigan will require you to come to the big House. Ohio State will too. and if you try to play Illinois, the Big 10 will make you travel to Chicago in a return game. Just like the ACC will if Ohio State tries to schedule Wake Forest. So suddenly you're looking at 6 home and 6 road games. And that's Florida State. How's North Carolina State going to pull it off? Sounds good to only schedule other p5 teams, but in practice it isn't so easy. Last year FSU played Idaho, Bethune-Cookman and Nevada to get 7 home games. This year its the Citadel. Next year Texas State. Then the issue becomes how to balance games in order to keep 7 home games. If the FSU Athletic Adminsitration gives a about the fans, it will be the only one in the country that does.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just keeping with that theme, you watch who florida State plays in non-conference games in 2016. they have 2, Florida at home and at South Florida. So they need 2 more. I'd be willing to bet those 2 are Sunbeltish rather than Michigan and Texas. They do have one built in benefit that some schools don't in that they can play at one of the AAC Florida schools and get some credit for a toughish road game yet still appeal to their statewide fans. They can even get folks who can't get to Tallahassee for the weekend.

Reaction Score
You sounds like many of us on the conference realignment board. Trust us, there is no hidden meaning for cancelling a claim in 2018. It is what it is....there is no secret deal pending anywhere.

Reaction Score
You are right, many programs don't want to add a h&h with a major team to their existing committment.

Most, like FSU, will play one major P5 team a year in OOC and add fill ins....That is one of the reasons that I like the Notre Dame games...about every third year, you have a built in OOC game with a national opponent to go with the Florida game.

More and more teams are looking to neutral site games for OOC....FSU just played Oklahoma State in Dallas and is talking to Georgia about a future neutral site game. That neutral site game earns the way a home game does and does away with the nedd for a H&H.

Also look for some interconference cooperation on scheduling.

Reaction Score

Harry_MiniumVP 2:29pm via Twitter Web Client
ODU, UMass to play a 2-game football series. 2016 in Norfolk, 2017 in Amherst, Mass. hamptonroads.com/2014/09/odu-um…

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
My guess is that UMass is de-emphasizing Gillette home games, and Vandy won't be a draw up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom