Majority of P5 coaches only want P5 games | The Boneyard

Majority of P5 coaches only want P5 games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/college-football...r-five-coaches-want-power-five-only-schedules

The autonomy vote hasn't even happened & they are already starting with this.

For those who insist that UConn demand home/home games with P5 schools that window appears to be closing very quickly. Even the coaches who voted against it cited the need for 7 home games as the reason for voting against it. That means that they will not be going on the road to play G5 games & will only schedule them as bought home games.

The vote today & the upcoming changes will very quickly make the AAC & other G5 conferences irrelevant

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think you're drawing too broad a conclusion.

Thirty said they were in favor of only scheduling p5 opponents and 35 said they weren't or they didn't know. I'd guess that a decent number of the 30 in favor are talking out of their asses.

I do agree that autonomy is designed to harm the G5 and will make things ultimately quite difficult, but I don't think scheduling is necessarily where the greatest difficulties will lie.

Reaction Score
I think you're drawing too broad a conclusion.

Thirty said they were in favor of only scheduling p5 opponents and 35 said they weren't or they didn't know. I'd guess that a decent number of the 30 in favor are talking out of their asses.

I do agree that autonomy is designed to harm the G5 and will make things ultimately quite difficult, but I don't think scheduling is necessarily where the greatest difficulties will lie.

Except when they wrap it up by saying they need a 7th home game it basically eliminates any home/homes for non-P5 schools. The Big 12 already is at 9 conference games & the B1G has announced they are going to that in a few years. That means they either get 5 or 4 home conference games in a season. In the years they only get 4 home conference games the remaining 3 games will need to be played at home as well. IMO, the chances of us seeing P5 schools at the Rent in the upcoming years in very slim. I don't think we see Indiana or Illinois for those scheduled games either

I agree that this may not be the biggest issue, but it just circles the wagons tighter & is 1 more step in the process of shutting the G5 out

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Don't they mean "P6"? Clam bakes baby!

Reaction Score
From Brian Bennett of ESPN on Twitter:

@BennettESPN · 6m
Autonomy has passed. Power to the (most powerful) people!

Followed up with this gem...

@BennettESPN · 3m
Emmert says autonomy is "something very good for Division I."

Reaction Score
If you take the coaches opinions then it would be a pretty tight vote even among the P5 only according to the survey. Any change like that would need a larger majority than what this surveyed entailed. Then again, its not really up to the coaches and I would think that the President or AD (voting for the president) would be less likely to want all P5 opponents. To me, this seems a little closer than what they are presenting. Not once do they list an actual percentage throughout the article.

Reaction Score
Except when they wrap it up by saying they need a 7th home game it basically eliminates any home/homes for non-P5 schools. The Big 12 already is at 9 conference games & the B1G has announced they are going to that in a few years. That means they either get 5 or 4 home conference games in a season. In the years they only get 4 home conference games the remaining 3 games will need to be played at home as well. IMO, the chances of us seeing P5 schools at the Rent in the upcoming years in very slim. I don't think we see Indiana or Illinois for those scheduled games either

I agree that this may not be the biggest issue, but it just circles the wagons tighter & is 1 more step in the process of shutting the G5 out
I tend to agree with Fishy here. Alabama isn't going on the road, but you know what? They weren't going on the road anyway. Mississippi State is a different story. And the underlying argument here is that somehow if they play only P5 games it will be a better draw for their fans. You hear that nonsense from guys like Saban. And while it is true that Alabama_Penn State will be a nice draw, Penn State ain't going to Tuskaloosa without a return game. Plus it doesn't help mid-tier and lower teams. While Ohio State-Texas is a big deal, Or florida State-Southern Cal draws eyeballs, Illinois-TCU or Washington State-Pittsburgh is just another snoozefest. LSU-Indiana is no different than LSU-Ball State except that Indiana can demand a return game and Ball State can't. Bottom line is that it sounds nice, but it really doesn't work for most teams, even the Alabamas and Ohio States. They would be forced to play 6 home and 6 road games most years, and losing a home game is very costly. The same thing goes for 10 conference games. You'd have 5 home and 5 away. Then you have 2 P5 games, one home and one away. If you are Michigan or Alabama who built you whole economics on 7-8 home games each year, and you've been doing it for decades now, that is a big impact. It means you lose 100,000 ticket sales, plus parking, concessions, t-shirts, and other income. That was a key reason that Michigan squawked so much about having to play a road game at UConn last year. Michigan generated $37 million in ticket sales from 6 home games last year. With 7 or 8 that number goes up significantly. And it extends beyond just the stadium. It is a major driver in the local economy, not so much in Ann Arbor or Los Angeles, but losing a game a year in places like Tuskaloosa and Auburn alabama will absolutely be felt and there will absolutely be pressure not to agree to such things.

Reaction Score
Indiana doesn't want all P-5 teams on their schedule because they can't handle what they must play in the B1G. They also don't draw enough fans to want only home games. They have went on the road to MAC schools because they don't want to pay big bucks for a home game. There are many more schools that are in the same boatas IU.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Most of these coaches will be voting to have their asses canned if they can't consistently win games. They need the easier OOC schedules for self-preservation.

Reaction Score
Indiana doesn't want all P-5 teams on their schedule because they can't handle what they must play in the B1G. They also don't draw enough fans to want only home games. They have went on the road to MAC schools because they don't want to pay big bucks for a home game. There are many more schools that are in the same boatas IU.
Right. As O'Leary put it, there are many schools who are just collecting a paycheck. And it doesn't really work for Michigans and Alabamas and so on either. Even if it were so that teams in the P5 leagues were better than G6, which it is not, but say it were true what benefit is it to have everyone at 10-2?

Reaction Score
Don't believe the poll. The vast majority of P5 coaches need wins for job security, and only scheduling P5 games means, mathematically, almost half of the coaches in P5 would have losing seasons every year! Look at BC last year. Seven wins, but 3 were against non-P5 schools. Two of Syracuse's 6 regular season wins were against non-P5 schools. Three of Maryland's wins out of 7 were against non-P5 schools. Virginia Tech: 3 non-P5 wins out of 8. Even Alabama. Three wins against non-P5 last year. And national champ FSU? 3 wins against non-P5 schools.

Reaction Score
Seven home games is now about the standard in the P5....each home game is worth millions to the larger programs.

FSU estimates that a home game is worth about $2.5 million....and additionally millions to hometown merchants.

With the cost of season tickets (with additional Booster contributions necessary for other then end zone or student seats), and the costs of travel and inflated hotel rooms (two night minimum stay), folks don't want to spend a premium to watch games against Troy or FIU.

justinslot

Boneyard Rutgers/Temple lurker
Reaction Score
Seven home games is now about the standard in the P5....each home game is worth millions to the larger programs.

FSU estimates that a home game is worth about $2.5 million....and additionally millions to hometown merchants.

With the cost of season tickets (with additional Booster contributions necessary for other then end zone or student seats), and the costs of travel and inflated hotel rooms (two night minimum stay), folks don't want to spend a premium to watch games against Troy or FIU.

Folks don't want to pay a premium to watch most of the ACC, which has been you lot's problem for a while now.

Reaction Score
That's why Notre Dame on the sched is great this year....

Playing Clemson, Notre Dame, and Florida at home is the saving grace of the schedule.

Reaction Score
ACC Votes on playing only P5

YES:
Clemson's Dabo Swinney, Miami's Al Golden, Pitt's Paul Chryst, Virginia Tech's Frank Beamer
NO: Duke's David Cutcliffe, Florida State's Jimbo Fisher, Georgia Tech's Paul Johnson, North Carolina's Larry Fedora, NC State's Dave Doeren, Wake Forest's Dave Clawson
Undecided: Boston College's Steve Addazio, Louisville's Bobby Petrino, Syracuse's Scott Shafer, Virginia's Mike London

Even though Notre Dame has never played an FCS team and plays almost exclusively Power Five opponents already, Irish coach Brian Kelly said he would be against it if it meant no longer playing Navy.

Kelly said removing Navy from Notre Dame's schedule would be "a deal-breaker." Even with teams playing tougher schedules, Kelly said he doesn't favor teams with losing records playing in bowls.

North Carolina's Larry Fedora was against the idea because he said the non-Power Five league teams "can't survive without us. It would not be good for college football."

Reaction Score
" The Pac-12, Big 12 and SEC coaches favored playing all Power Five opponents, while the ACC coaches were against it by a 6-4 margin with four coaches undecided. Big Ten coaches were divided: Six each were for and against it, with two undecided."

Reaction Score
ACC Votes on playing only P5

YES:
Clemson's Dabo Swinney, Miami's Al Golden, Pitt's Paul Chryst, Virginia Tech's Frank Beamer
NO: Duke's David Cutcliffe, Florida State's Jimbo Fisher, Georgia Tech's Paul Johnson, North Carolina's Larry Fedora, NC State's Dave Doeren, Wake Forest's Dave Clawson
Undecided: Boston College's Steve Addazio, Louisville's Bobby Petrino, Syracuse's Scott Shafer, Virginia's Mike London

Even though Notre Dame has never played an FCS team and plays almost exclusively Power Five opponents already, Irish coach Brian Kelly said he would be against it if it meant no longer playing Navy.

Kelly said removing Navy from Notre Dame's schedule would be "a deal-breaker." Even with teams playing tougher schedules, Kelly said he doesn't favor teams with losing records playing in bowls.

North Carolina's Larry Fedora was against the idea because he said the non-Power Five league teams "can't survive without us. It would not be good for college football."

Notre Dame has a history with Navy. Glad to see that they remain loyal.

Also, glad to see Larry Fedora's position. I think he is right.

Reaction Score
looks like the Dude was wrong again...the ACC and Big 12 did not collaborate..

The SEC, Big 12, and PAC 12 all wanted a P5 only sched....not so the ACC

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Notre Dame has a history with Navy. Glad to see that they remain loyal.

Also, glad to see Larry Fedora's position. I think he is right.

'History' is a nice way of saying that Navy is the reason Notre Dame exists today.

Reaction Score
'History' is a nice way of saying that Navy is the reason Notre Dame exists today.

Correct. ND had promised Navy repeatedly that, out of gratitude, it will play Navy every year until/unless Navy says it now longer wants to do so.

A few years ago, ND asked Navy if it wanted to drop the series. Navy said no. ND said fine with us. I think a large portion of Navy's athletic budget comes from the Army/Navy and ND/Navy games.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Notre Dame and Navy have a multi-generational bond going back to WWII.

When it comes to the highest ranking and most sought after positions in the Navy, Notre Dame is second to only the Navy Academy.

There's a bunch of history intertwining the two programs.

Reaction Score
If the power five conferences are only going to play each other how are they all going to get seven home games during the season? I can understand that they no longer want to play FCS school.

Reaction Score
Correct. ND had promised Navy repeatedly that, out of gratitude, it will play Navy every year until/unless Navy says it now longer wants to do so.

A few years ago, ND asked Navy if it wanted to drop the series. Navy said no. ND said fine with us. I think a large portion of Navy's athletic budget comes from the Army/Navy and ND/Navy games.
UConn and Navy to the ACC. Navy as a FB only and UConn for all sports. 16 for FB and 16 for BB. Locks up NYC and keeps ACC in Maryland. Additionally ND can honor their commitment to USNA and still play only P5's. Win-win-win.

Reaction Score
looks like the Dude was wrong again...the ACC and Big 12 did not collaborate..

The SEC, Big 12, and PAC 12 all wanted a P5 only sched....not so the ACC

This was an informal ESPN poll of coaches. . .not legislation. Although, it's important to note that the preceding comment is not intended to bestow any amount of credibility upon the Dude.

Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99