LV 45-41, 7 to play | Page 2 | The Boneyard

LV 45-41, 7 to play

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I may not be 100% correct,but I think Clemson was the only really serious offer that Holly received in her whole tenure @UT.I don't know of a coach in women's basketball that wouldn't relish having the talent that UT has.But,those here who wear their orange glasses 24/7 are happy to have "one of our own" running the team.
I am less than optimistic that this thing will get turned around in a few years.We maybe could have drawn the attention of several top coaches has we actually searched.But,1000's of LV fans will pack TBA thinking we actually can pull the upset.I hope we can,but reality has to override loyalty.
Tennessee is a plum job in women's basketball - awesome fan support, strong institutional support, and name recognition for recruits. If Tenn did decide to open up a coaching search, there should be no problem drawing top prospects to the job, IMO.

Reaction Score
the LV message boards are after Holly also..... I agree with the posters here...or most of them.... to the extent that she just seems over her head...... and almost 30 years as an assistant and 2 1/2 years as head coach..... remembering the year when she did not have the title but was picked to run the team while Pat got credit for the victories.... it seems she is not cut out for it.... remember Vickie DeMoss did not have a good head coaching as well when she ventured into that role..... TN still a top tier program visibility and attentionwise..... it still can salvage that reputation..... if they act soon to replace HW

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Perhaps nothing will happen regardless of the upcoming Notre Dame defeat and other disappointments to come this season until one of their star players decides to abandon ship.

A whole lot of them have been looking pretty glum lately.

Reaction Score
There have been a number of games this season where Notre Dame has not looked
like the number 2 team in the country. I expect ND to win, but if they have one of
those Oregon State type games then Tennessee has a shot.

Reaction Score
If TN has a chance it is going to have to come from within..... certainly will not come from the coaching staff

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Tennessee, the other UT, will most likely be like the Dallas Cowboys and settle for what they have. Jerry Jones has bought into Jason Garrett and the same will probably be true about Warlick at UT. I don't expect to see a change for many years.

Reaction Score
Tennessee, the other UT, will most likely be like the Dallas Cowboys and settle for what they have. Jerry Jones has bought into Jason Garrett and the same will probably be true about Warlick at UT. I don't expect to see a change for many years.
You may be right, but if they are smart they will offer the job to Kim Mulkey tomorrow! I know she has a good gig where she is, and would likely turn it down, but Tennessee is the best job in all of women's basketball! She would be perfect for that job and could conceivably regenerate a real rivalry with UCONN that might even be legitimately competitive!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
You may be right, but if they are smart they will offer the job to Kim Mulkey tomorrow! I know she has a good gig where she is, and would likely turn it down, but Tennessee is the best job in all of women's basketball! She would be perfect for that job and could conceivably regenerate a real rivalry with UCONN that might even be legitimately competitive!
Until the Tenn Administration, and Pat admit what they did, why and that it was wrong there will never be a UConn Tenn series again unless they meet in the NCAAs. The damage done by Tenn goes deep at UConn and to everyone the called out.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

I agree that Mulkey at UT would be HUGE. Most UCONN folks already dislike her, so it would be an easy transition for her in that sense. But I don't expect UT to make a change anytime soon, and when they do, I don't think Mulkey would accept. Also, a lot of LV fans hate Mulkey. Hmmm...I see a trend developing.

I do think that the UCONN vs Baylor game demonstrates how good Mulkey is. She had those Baylor players believing that they could win that game and I think Baylor is the only team this year that truly felt that they could compete with UCONN. Being a good coach is not, IMO, as much about Xs and Os as it is about teaching your players to compete, and Mulkey certainly has a way of transferring her competiveness to her players.

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
NO I don't and that's why there will NEVER be a Tenn UConn matchup unless its in the NCAAs.

Reaction Score
Recently, Holly has ramped up her coaching with new ideas. She's now giving out "Heart pins" when a player plays with "heart". In a press interview Kyra Elzy was asked if anyone got a heart pin after the Miss State game. Her reply, everyone got a heart pin, we won the game.

Reaction Score
I think Warlick has at least 2 more years. If at that point they haven't gotten to a final 4, then she could be in trouble.

I'd see leading contenders as Nikki Caldwell, Dawn Staley, and Cori Close, with Coquese Washington, Kevin McGuff, Walz, and Matthew Mitchell as possibilities.

Cori still has a bunch to prove, but she's already shown she's a great recruiter. If she can turn that into Ws, she will be in high demand.

Reaction Score
Some interesting conversation.....

TonyC - AMEN brother!!! No more series!

I don't think even the UT administration is as dumb as Jerry Jones is..... check that.... Jerry is making money and getting everyone talking about the drama which is the Cowboys.... but fans want the objective to be a super bowl, not a great show.

I hadn't known about the heart pin..... my thought is..... you cannot give someone a heart "transplant" ... you have to instill it always, and transmit it.... ala Jim Harbaugh.... and Pat in her prime.... would not tolerate passive behavior......

I think UT should get a tiger of a coach to be at the helm..... but Nikki? Are her exploits to be revered? Mulkey Walz and Mitchell wont leave many say...... McGuff, yes I know he just got to Ohio St, but that is a thought.... many at TN want Tyler..... needs to get more experience.....would be nice to see some younger female coaching prospects coming up and not on the backside of their careers......

Another thought about the UT administration..... they have their hands full now.... with men's basketball.... they won't do it, but bring back Pearl..... and football...... do you think they regret sacking Fullmer?

Reaction Score
Recently, Holly has ramped up her coaching with new ideas. She's now giving out "Heart pins" when a player plays with "heart". In a press interview Kyra Elzy was asked if anyone got a heart pin after the Miss State game. Her reply, everyone got a heart pin, we won the game.

Do they get orange slices at halftime and pizza after the game too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom