LV 45-41, 7 to play | The Boneyard

LV 45-41, 7 to play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
They will manage a close win over an unranked team.

[corrected spelling]

Last edited:

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
They will mange a close win over an unranked team.

This team could easily be unranked by seasons end. Just to many issues with turnovers and poor defense. We've pretty much been out coached in almost every game too.

Reaction Score
TOT's almost out of BY discussion range - - when you're heading down this fast, it's no fun to pile on:D

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Mississippi State might be 13-4, but they beat Houston (yes the same Houston that's in our league) by 8 points. This is not a good team. They will not make the NCAA's. They are 1-3 in the SEC and haven't hit the meat of their schedule yet. A 4 point win by Tennessee is just not good, and there's simply no way to spin it...

And I strongly disagree with HoopsHoppy. There is not any moment I can think of where I wouldn't enjoy an opportunity to pile it on to Tennessee... ;)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
This season is starting to feel like 2011-12 for the LVs. This means the Notre Dame game could well be as ugly as 2012 was.

Reaction Score
LV need help this season..........Is it me or do they seem very disorganized on offense? They have good players, but they never get any better from year to year.......Why is that?

Reaction Score
Mississippi State might be 13-4, but they beat Houston (yes the same Houston that's in our league) by 8 points. This is not a good team. They will not make the NCAA's. They are 1-3 in the SEC and haven't hit the meat of their schedule yet. A 4 point win by Tennessee is just not good, and there's simply no way to spin it...

And I strongly disagree with HoopsHoppy. There is not any moment I can think of where I wouldn't enjoy an opportunity to pile it on to Tennessee... ;)

My momma told me (a long time ago) to concentrate on those things that are relevant. Enough said??;);)

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
It is very gracious that Tenn is ranked 10/12 in the polls. After Mondays game against ND...well I think it could be the makings of a massacre. With all the garbage we as UConn fans have taken from the LV fans since 1995 it would make me very happy to consider them one of the adjectives they used very often.... a Cupcake.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
My momma told me (a long time ago) to concentrate on those things that are relevant. Enough said??;);)
Your momma is a wise person.

While they are now just a team that resides outside the top ten and irrelevant to the Uconn womens basketball team, the fan rivalry is still strong for many on both sides, and that's where most of the glee for me is.

Those those fans made it very personal and I still enjoy a poor Tennessee performance knowing how miserable it makes them.

Petty, I know. So sue me.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
This season is starting to feel like 2011-12 for the LVs. This means the Notre Dame game could well be as ugly as 2012 was.
Good thing they got that hands down front court or it would be even worse.

Reaction Score
Your momma is a wise person.

While they are now just a team that resides outside the top ten and irrelevant to the Uconn womens basketball team, the fan rivalry is still strong for many on both sides, and that's where most of the glee for me is.

Those those fans made it very personal and I still enjoy a poor Tennessee performance knowing how miserable it makes them.

Petty, I know. So sue me.

My momma also told me that petty is OK (just consider it as retaliation) and that leopards (and LV's) don't change their spots
so be consistent and persistent in that retaliation. Go for it!!:D:D

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
It is very gracious that Tenn is ranked 10/12 in the polls. After Mondays game against ND...well I think it could be the makings of a massacre. With all the garbage we as UConn fans have taken from the LV fans since 1995 it would make me very happy to consider them one of the adjectives they used very often.... a Cupcake.
There's a cruel irony in that they themselves have become a cupcake...

I'm gonna have to do some steep penance for the joy I am taking in their misery.

Your Ol' Pal Boo

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What's especially mystifying is that this team is one that not only did their fans expect a final 4 run, but legitimately felt they were a NC contender. Next year even more so, given the talent and the players they will be adding (Tucker and Nared while only losing Simmons). It's easy to blame Meighan saying her volume shot selection leaves much to be desire, but she's often the most intense player on the court and plays strong defense. I'm not sure what to expect from them next year, but this year seems like it's going down the toilet...

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Well sir, last night's game ought to put paid to the accepted wisdom that Simmons is the main (maybe the only) problem with this team and that continuing to start her and play her 30+ minutes is proof of Holly's lack of basketball acumen. Last night she did not start, played only 16 minutes, and only took three shots. And the LV still looked awful.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
What's especially mystifying is that this team is one that not only did their fans expect a final 4 run, but legitimately felt they were a NC contender. Next year even more so, given the talent and the players they will be adding (Tucker and Nared while only losing Simmons). It's easy to blame Meighan saying her volume shot selection leaves much to be desire, but she's often the most intense player on the court and plays strong defense. I'm not sure what to expect from them next year, but this year seems like it's going down the toilet...

Simmons plays with intensity on one end of the court. She gets in to the defensive stance and gives the appearance she's about to play ferocious defense (more often after she makes a basket), but she eventually loses interest and the player she is supposed to be guarding. She does not play strong defense.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
A article on GoVolsXtra that Simmons was in a car accident. That's why she had that black tape stuff on.

Reaction Score
Yes UConnCat - how true.... made basket, and Simmons puts the growl on and prepares for steel door defense..... but just a snapshot..... just a temporary look....

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Reality will hit Monday nite for the LVs. The only hope they have against ND is that the refs call 40+ fouls on ND or the clock stops. Remember the game is at Tenn and funny things happen when you play in Tenn. Those of you who have been around for a while remember the comedy of miracles that happen when Tenn is in a close game or losing at home.

If ND wins by 40+ the LV fans dream of playing in Nashville in March will go away. Think about this. Preseason LV fans thought they could compete with UConn for number 9. Many LV fans still think they can compete with UConn. Now in the polls Tenn is looming to stay in the top 15 and if this mess continues perhaps they wont be in the top 25 . I've watched a couple of games and Tenn looks a mess. Cant pass, poor ballhandlers, a lot of one on one poor shot selection lack of patience. No chemistry, no defense and a lot of very good talent. Talent wise this team should be in the top 10. My question is with all that talent how do you not win? Its a mystery.

Monday nite will be a nitemare for LV fans. At home against the number 2 team in the polls and it will be ugly and very difficult for their fans to watch. I don't think even if the refs call 40 fouls on ND that Tenn can compete because they have been committing over 20 turnovers a game against lesser competition. Rocky Top will explode like a volcano on Monday nite and the witch hunt will begin with the LV fans looking to place blame somewhere and everywhere. It will be almost worth the price of admission to pay to read the Summitt.

Reaction Score
Reality will hit Monday nite for the LVs. The only hope they have against ND is that the refs call 40+ fouls on ND or the clock stops. Remember the game is at Tenn and funny things happen when you play in Tenn. Those of you who have been around for a while remember the comedy of miracles that happen when Tenn is in a close game or losing at home.

If ND wins by 40+ the LV fans dream of playing in Nashville in March will go away. Think about this. Preseason LV fans thought they could compete with UConn for number 9. Many LV fans still think they can compete with UConn. Now in the polls Tenn is looming to stay in the top 15 and if this mess continues perhaps they wont be in the top 25 . I've watched a couple of games and Tenn looks a mess. Cant pass, poor ballhandlers, a lot of one on one poor shot selection lack of patience. No chemistry, no defense and a lot of very good talent. Talent wise this team should be in the top 10. My question is with all that talent how do you not win? Its a mystery.

Monday nite will be a nitemare for LV fans. At home against the number 2 team in the polls and it will be ugly and very difficult for their fans to watch. I don't think even if the refs call 40 fouls on ND that Tenn can compete because they have been committing over 20 turnovers a game against lesser competition. Rocky Top will explode like a volcano on Monday nite and the witch hunt will begin with the LV fans looking to place blame somewhere and everywhere. It will be almost worth the price of admission to pay to read the Summitt.

The few reality-based fans here on Rocky Top know that it may not be pretty Monday night.This team reflects its coaching...sloppy and disorganized.I still say that the coaching search should have been opened up,and not just a "passing of the whistle".
This team in NO WAY resembles the teams that battled UCONN and thrilled sold-out crowds.I know that is music to a lot of ears here,but that's the least of our worries.A point guard that plays out of control,a shooting guard that would fire up on from mid-court if she could,a front court that has potential to dominate any game,but blows layups and draws ticky-tack fouls,and a coach that's got a lot of people fooled into thinking she's the next Pat Summitt.
Yep,the Irish may just feast Monday night.Maybe that'll be what wakes a lot of LV fans up.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The few reality-based fans here on Rocky Top know that it may not be pretty Monday night.This team reflects its coaching...sloppy and disorganized.I still say that the coaching search should have been opened up,and not just a "passing of the whistle".
This team in NO WAY resembles the teams that battled UCONN and thrilled sold-out crowds.I know that is music to a lot of ears here,but that's the least of our worries.A point guard that plays out of control,a shooting guard that would fire up on from mid-court if she could,a front court that has potential to dominate any game,but blows layups and draws ticky-tack fouls,and a coach that's got a lot of people fooled into thinking she's the next Pat Summitt.

Yep,the Irish may just feast Monday night.Maybe that'll be what wakes a lot of LV fans up.
ICJeff. Your analysis is right on point. I agree with everything you've stated. Tenn has some of the best talent in WCBB but nothing is clicking and when things go wrong all fingers point at the coach. I feel Tenn needs a complete overhaul. Expectations are high in Tenn and they should be but trying to replace what Pat did with her staff and without her is unfair to the coaches and the fans. Question is who do they get. I've heard CVS's name come up in the past. I doubt that still holds true. My thoughts are a coach and staff from an up and coming program like Marist or S. Dakota. Two mid majors who have made a lot of noise lately. ND LVille and Kentucky aren't going to let their coaches go and it would be tuff to get a top coach from a top program to play in Pats shadow, I think. JMO. Gottilib has done a good job out west that might be a possibility. I would stay away from former Tenn players. Could money lure them to Tenn? Possible. What ever it takes is going to take time to develop and Tenn will be in a rebuilding mode. I would bet if ND does win big Monday night that Tenn will be actively looking if they aren't already. Nothing against Holly but a team will all that talent performing the way they are and with the fan base and alums who are contributing to the program well Tenn will be forced to make a change or lose their backing. My post is tuff as is yours and sometimes telling it like it is is tuff to swallow but in this case it must be done to wake everybody up.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

Good grief lcjeff, how are we gonna hate you if you're going to be reasonable:) ?

Reaction Score
ICJeff. Your analysis is right on point. I agree with everything you've stated. Tenn has some of the best talent in WCBB but nothing is clicking and when things go wrong all fingers point at the coach. I feel Tenn needs a complete overhaul. Expectations are high in Tenn and they should be but trying to replace what Pat did with her staff and without her is unfair to the coaches and the fans. Question is who do they get. I've heard CVS's name come up in the past. I doubt that still holds true. My thoughts are a coach and staff from an up and coming program like Marist or S. Dakota. Two mid majors who have made a lot of noise lately. ND LVille and Kentucky aren't going to let their coaches go and it would be tuff to get a top coach from a top program to play in Pats shadow, I think. JMO. Gottilib has done a good job out west that might be a possibility. I would stay away from former Tenn players. Could money lure them to Tenn? Possible. What ever it takes is going to take time to develop and Tenn will be in a rebuilding mode. I would bet if ND does win big Monday night that Tenn will be actively looking if they aren't already. Nothing against Holly but a team will all that talent performing the way they are and with the fan base and alums who are contributing to the program well Tenn will be forced to make a change or lose their backing. My post is tuff as is yours and sometimes telling it like it is is tuff to swallow but in this case it must be done to wake everybody up.

I may not be 100% correct,but I think Clemson was the only really serious offer that Holly received in her whole tenure @UT.I don't know of a coach in women's basketball that wouldn't relish having the talent that UT has.But,those here who wear their orange glasses 24/7 are happy to have "one of our own" running the team.
I am less than optimistic that this thing will get turned around in a few years.We maybe could have drawn the attention of several top coaches has we actually searched.But,1000's of LV fans will pack TBA thinking we actually can pull the upset.I hope we can,but reality has to override loyalty.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I may not be 100% correct,but I think Clemson was the only really serious offer that Holly received in her whole tenure @UT.I don't know of a coach in women's basketball that wouldn't relish having the talent that UT has.But,those here who wear their orange glasses 24/7 are happy to have "one of our own" running the team.
I am less than optimistic that this thing will get turned around in a few years.We maybe could have drawn the attention of several top coaches has we actually searched.But,1000's of LV fans will pack TBA thinking we actually can pull the upset.I hope we can,but reality has to override loyalty.
I have to agree with you. Going back to my previous post Tenn would need ND in big foul trouble and even then I don't think they could pull it out. ND is a very well coached team with balance and good chemistry. They have very good guards who can hit outside shots and that is a Tenn weakness. If things go the way they have this season for Tenn they will lose by 30+ at home and it will be a wake up call for the Tenn Administration as I would expect the Boosters would've had just about enough and will want some answers or the money will stop coming in. As for the fans your right reality will sink in and it wont be nice. The Summitt will light up like a Christmas Tree and the witch hunt will be on taking no prisoners. Its going to get worse before it gets better. The one plus on Hollys side is she got Russell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom