Lou Lopez Senechal to UConn! (Merged thread) | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Lou Lopez Senechal to UConn! (Merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
From what I have seen Dorka is the only what I would call "traditional" big forward/center UConn has- she seems to work inside more than outside on offense and defense. I thought her absence was huge in the final against SC, everyone else seemed to hang back on the perimeter instead of crashing the boards for rebounds (exception: Nika Muhl who got like 9 rebounds, if I was a UConn forward I'd be upset with myself for letting a guard outrebound me but that's just me), if Dorka had been able to play it might have not been the blowout for SC that it was.
This is what I meant by Dorka needing help- another big who works mostly inside. From what I've seen the past few years those kinds of players are an endangered species.
Nika only had 2 rebounds in the championship game you may have been thinking of the Semi-finals game against Stanford where she got 8. One remarkable thing about the championship game was UCONN players using fairly good technique as far as boxing out. It was as if they were so intent on boxing out that they forgot to actually get the rebound.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Maybe this is mentioned somewhere up above, but I just learned her baller nickname has been Chica. Works for me.
Source: Texas presser.
Chica? I thought she was French?

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
As soon as I hear a coach or UConn teammate call her Chica I will roll with it! Sounds good to me. Until then it’s Lou2 for me.
until then why not just lou ... works for me ... in the normal flow here nobody should think we're referencing katie lou ... or so i would certainly hope

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I don't care what nickname or handle is given, be it LouLo, Lou2, LuLu, Lou, or Chica. I'm just happy that she has decided to play at UConn. If Geno decides to play a 2 guard, 3 guard, 4 guard, or even 5 guard offense she adds another problem for the other teams defense. She can shoot the three, use screens for both the 3 or the 2, and has a great back door cut. She also adds something that is needed and that's a good freethrow shooting percentage. Now if she can play some good man to man defense will be just icing on the cake. Welcome to UConn Lou Lopez-Senechal hope you have a great year and help capture #12 for the UConn faithful.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I don't care what nickname or handle is given, be it LouLo, Lou2, LuLu, Lou, or Chica. I'm just happy that she has decided to play at UConn. If Geno decides to play a 2 guard, 3 guard, 4 guard, or even 5 guard offense she adds another problem for the other teams defense. She can shoot the three, use screens for both the 3 or the 2, and has a great back door cut. She also adds something that is needed and that's a good freethrow shooting percentage. Now if she can play some good man to man defense will be just icing on the cake. Welcome to UConn Lou Lopez-Senechal hope you have a great year and help capture #12 for the UConn faithful.
I suspect when it comes to defense she's pretty tough. In the NCAA first round game with Texas she took a good hit to the face toward the end of the first quarter. An elbow she thought; she didn't see it. She went to the locker room and took stitching and bandaging and went out and played the rest of the game. My kind of hockey player.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
A nick name is not valid unless it sticks. I remember when Christian Williams was a freshman. Several names was suggested by yarders, none of which stuck. Her teammates gave her the nick name of "squeaks." THAT one stuck.
Wow Dogstar, your post looks very familiar...........

Post #213 that I wrote today at 10:13 am ET:

"Since that's her "current" nick name, I agree, let's go with that. No need to re-invent the wheel. If she's cool with it , so am I.
If we (and her new teammates) call her by a name she beings with her from Fairfield, that will make her feel more at home, and more importantly, that she is accepted as one of them. If you call me "Chica", you accept me as I am, and as the baller it says I am. Think about it.

I know BY'ers like to give new players a nick name. I'm more comfortable with allowing her teammates to give her a moniker than trying to be creative and come up with one myself. It's hard to give someone you don't know and have never met a nick name.

A nick name is not valid unless it sticks. I remember when Christian Williams was a freshman. Several names was suggested by yarders, none of which stuck. Her teammates gave her the nick name of "squeaks." THAT one stuck." :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Have to admit I was not overcome with joy when I heard the news. I thought it was a mistake taking her and not sure if she would really help us out and just sit on the bench.

I looked back at some highlights of her vs Texas and Indiana. I am impressed. Clutch shot and a smart player.

I do wish her the best this upcoming year and for me to regret my initial feelings.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I don't think that they have learned how to use the edit button yet.;)
Dogstar copied and pasted my post. He/she must have really liked it.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Have to admit I was not overcome with joy when I heard the news. I thought it was a mistake taking her and not sure if she would really help us out and just sit on the bench.

I looked back at some highlights of her vs Texas and Indiana. I am impressed. Clutch shot and a smart player.

I do wish her the best this upcoming year and for me to regret my initial feelings.
Keep in mind that she will be playing with new/different players that are more talented, and playing for a different coach with different needs and expectations of her. Yes, she will be playing against better teams than she did at Fairfield, but she'll have better players around her as well. Geno and staff would not have brought her in if they didn't think she could help them next season. She's a 1 year rental. She only has 1 more year of eligibility left.

Geno had his choice of lots of guards in the portal, but he choose her. In Geno we trust. He knows what he wants and needs in a guard to play in his system. He obviously saw those qualities in her. Word on her is that she can ball. That's good enough for me. Judging from some of the posts written in this thread, I'm not alone in my feelings. :)

Reaction Score
Chica? I thought she was French?
Mom is French. Dad, Mexican. She has both French and Mexican nationalities. I found this article.

Here’s the most interesting passage for me.

« Lopez-Senechal is the daughter of a Mexican photographer, father Carlos, and a globetrotting aspiring model, mother Sophie, who left France for Mexico and met her husband during a photo shoot.

Lopez-Senechal was born in Guadalajara, Mexico’s second-largest city, and lived there until she was 5, when her parents divorced. She spent most of her childhood in Grenoble, France, surrounded by the Alps, near the borders of Switzerland and Italy. She played club basketball from ages 8-18 before spending a year in Ireland at the North Atlantic Basketball Academy.

That move helped her, once again, adapt to a new culture. Already fluent in Spanish and French, she studied English and, with great help from her stepfather, Tim Presto, an American expatriate who had met Sophie while working in France, continually reached out to colleges, setting up campus visits. »

Lou has a French accent when she speaks English.

Reaction Score
Mom is French. Dad, Mexican. She has both French and Mexican nationalities. I found this article.

Here’s the most interesting passage for me.

« Lopez-Senechal is the daughter of a Mexican photographer, father Carlos, and a globetrotting aspiring model, mother Sophie, who left France for Mexico and met her husband during a photo shoot.

Lopez-Senechal was born in Guadalajara, Mexico’s second-largest city, and lived there until she was 5, when her parents divorced. She spent most of her childhood in Grenoble, France, surrounded by the Alps, near the borders of Switzerland and Italy. She played club basketball from ages 8-18 before spending a year in Ireland at the North Atlantic Basketball Academy.

That move helped her, once again, adapt to a new culture. Already fluent in Spanish and French, she studied English and, with great help from her stepfather, Tim Presto, an American expatriate who had met Sophie while working in France, continually reached out to colleges, setting up campus visits. »

Lou has a French accent when she speaks English.
For the most part Americans (me included) are really pathetic when it comes to mastering foreign languages...... I have many European friends and every one of them speaks a minimum of two languages, most speak three and some speak four or five.......

Reaction Score
Dogstar copied and pasted my post. He/she must have really liked it.
LOL, I thought you copied Dogstar's post .....:p

I think Dogstar is trying to quote your post but enter twice. So the first post (#215) just shows yours, then the second one (#216) is his word, "exactly".

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A nick name is not valid unless it sticks. I remember when Christian Williams was a freshman. Several names was suggested by yarders, none of which stuck. Her teammates gave her the nick name of "squeaks." THAT one stuck.
If memory serves me right, I believe Christyn Williams had the nickname “Squeaks” before she got to UCONN.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Wow Dogstar, your post looks very familiar...........

Post #213 that I wrote today at 10:13 am ET:

"Since that's her "current" nick name, I agree, let's go with that. No need to re-invent the wheel. If she's cool with it , so am I.
If we (and her new teammates) call her by a name she beings with her from Fairfield, that will make her feel more at home, and more importantly, that she is accepted as one of them. If you call me "Chica", you accept me as I am, and as the baller it says I am. Think about it.

I know BY'ers like to give new players a nick name. I'm more comfortable with allowing her teammates to give her a moniker than trying to be creative and come up with one myself. It's hard to give someone you don't know and have never met a nick name.

A nick name is not valid unless it sticks. I remember when Christian Williams was a freshman. Several names was suggested by yarders, none of which stuck. Her teammates gave her the nick name of "squeaks." THAT one stuck." :cool:
I actually " lifted " it from you, it was the perfect statement, I didn't thk tht the copyright police would issue a warrant for me, I plead not guilty of any charges based on the grounds tht imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so I feel tht You should feel immortalized . Haha

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Since that's her "current" nick name, I agree, let's go with that. No need to re-invent the wheel. If she's cool with it , so am I.
If we (and her new teammates) call her by a name she beings with her from Fairfield, that will make her feel more at home, and more importantly, that she is accepted as one of them. If you call me "Chica", you accept me as I am, and as the baller it says I am. Think about it. :)

A nick name is not valid unless it sticks. I remember when Christian Williams was a freshman. Several names was suggested by yarders, none of which stuck. Her teammates gave her the nick name of "squeaks." THAT one stuck. :cool:
I 4got to give you a like...and credit...Mea Culpa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak