Lou Lopez Senechal to UConn! (Merged thread) | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Lou Lopez Senechal to UConn! (Merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Can someone please explain why Lou2 is referred to as a forward all over the internet and also by Geno "UConn women's basketball head coach Geno Auriemma announced the addition of transfer forward Lou Lopez Sénéchal." and yet the boneyard consistently refers to her as a guard. IMO she can play both positions and this makes here a very valuable substitute?
The small forward position is often called simply forward or wing, wing/guard, or wing/forward. Those that play this position usually have a decent handle, can hit an outside shot, and rebound. Think Evina or Caroline.

Reaction Score
Wearing a shirt with #50.
Could be tribute jersey tee with Lobo on back (or not, since UConn kits have never included player names). That would be my guess. 1995 jersey spelled out Connecticut. Would be heresy otherwise!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The small forward position is often called simply forward or wing, wing/guard, or wing/forward. Those that play this position usually have a decent handle, can hit an outside shot, and rebound. Think Evina or Caroline.
That’s where I see Lou2.

sun

Reaction Score
I think that Lou will act as a catalyst to help motivate the rest of the team and provide some momentum during games every time that she can score.
The current players are going to want to improve through intra-team competition for PT.
Hopefully she raises the performance bar for the whole team with her desire to display her talent.
Whatever she can bring to the table is going to be an asset for UConn.
The freshmen will do the same, since they can also show that no one's PT is untouchable.
All of the players will need to try harder to achieve perfection if UConn expects to improve enough to win a NC for themselves, the school, Geno & all of the fans.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lou Lou has a motor that won’t stop. Similar to Rip’s on the men’s side years ago. And she will bring some emotional fire that at times has been lacking.
How do you get “Lou Lou” from Lou Lopez? I would understand Lou Lo but Lou Lou? WTH?

Reaction Score
Maybe this is mentioned somewhere up above, but I just learned her baller nickname has been Chica. Works for me.

Source: Texas presser.
As soon as I hear a coach or UConn teammate call her Chica I will roll with it! Sounds good to me. Until then it’s Lou2 for me.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Maybe this is mentioned somewhere up above, but I just learned her baller nickname has been Chica. Works for me.

Source: Texas presser.
Since that's her "current" nick name, I agree, let's go with that. No need to re-invent the wheel. If she's cool with it , so am I.
If we (and her new teammates) call her by a name she beings with her from Fairfield, that will make her feel more at home, and more importantly, that she is accepted as one of them. If you call me "Chica", you accept me as I am, and as the baller it says I am. Think about it. :)

I know BY'ers like to give new players a nick name. I'm more comfortable with allowing her teammates to give her a moniker than trying to be creative and come up with one myself. It's hard to give someone you don't know and have never met a nick name.

A nick name is not valid unless it sticks. I remember when Christian Williams was a freshman. Several names was suggested by yarders, none of which stuck. Her teammates gave her the nick name of "squeaks." THAT one stuck. :cool:

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Lou X 2 = LuLu :)

What does Lulu mean?

one that is remarkable or wonderful - a lulu of a performance.
1650826096915.png

A cartoon character from the 1940's is the "ORIGINAL" LuLu. Do you think she bares any resemblance to our Lou? :rolleyes:

1650826574847.png

Marjorie Henderson Buell aka: Marjorie Lyman Henderson, December 11, 1904 – May 30, 1993) was an American cartoonist who worked under the pen name Marge. She was best known as the creator of Little Lulu.

Last edited:

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
A nick name is not valid unless it sticks. I remember when Christian Williams was a freshman. Several names was suggested by yarders, none of which stuck. Her teammates gave her the nick name of "squeaks." THAT one stuck.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
A nick name is not valid unless it sticks. I remember when Christian Williams was a freshman. Several names was suggested by yarders, none of which stuck. Her teammates gave her the nick name of "squeaks." THAT one stuck.
Exactly!!

Reaction Score
UConn has 6 legitimate front court players on next year’s roster: Dorka, Aubrey, Aaliyah, Amari, Ice & Ayanna. While there are some questions with Dorka & Aubrey coming off injuries, Amari needing to improve her fitness and agressiveness, and Ice & Ayanna learning to play at the college level, if even 3/6 step up, UConn will be just fine.

IMO, Dorka, Aaliyah, Ice & Ayanna will all be key contributors for next year’s team. I have great hope that Amari will also step up after spending all summer on campus working with Andrea Hudy and the coaches. My only real question mark involves Aubrey and her recovery from back surgery.

From what I have seen Dorka is the only what I would call "traditional" big forward/center UConn has- she seems to work inside more than outside on offense and defense. I thought her absence was huge in the final against SC, everyone else seemed to hang back on the perimeter instead of crashing the boards for rebounds (exception: Nika Muhl who got like 9 rebounds, if I was a UConn forward I'd be upset with myself for letting a guard outrebound me but that's just me), if Dorka had been able to play it might have not been the blowout for SC that it was.

This is what I meant by Dorka needing help- another big who works mostly inside. From what I've seen the past few years those kinds of players are an endangered species.

Reaction Score
When? Have you seen Paige or Nika play? I'd be hard pressed to find even a small handful of other players in all of WCBB who have emotional fire than those 2...
I said “at times” but to give you a specific example, how ‘bout the last (title) game? The only dog that showed emotional fight was CD! She had it in her eyes and she tried to walk right through a SC huddle! Love it! Of course Paige and Nika have tons of fight… but man, CD had it in her eyes all game. That’s all I’m saying pal… now chill!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Wearing a shirt with #50.
1650828765573.png

This is a response to a poster (I can't find it) that raised a question about her wearing the #50 tee. Variations of Lobo's jersey can be purchased on the internet. No doubt the UConn bookstore has several versions of the tee Lou is wearing. She was on campus in this pic, and probably signed the necessary paper work to make her transfer "official". That means the school (coaches) can give her a tee shirt and other "UConn gear" without fear of violating any NCAA rules. It could be an old tee a coach had stuffed in the back of her desk drawer. :eek:

School is still in session, and the bookstore is still open. She could have purchased this tee herself. We don't know. To me, it's a UConn tee she could have gotten in several ways. No big deal. Maybe Lobo was one of her favorite players !?! :cool: It could also be a men's jersey/tee.

Reaction Score
And KML ...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Since that's her "current" nick name, I agree, let's go with that. No need to re-invent the wheel. If she's cool with it , so am I.
If we (and her new teammates) call her by a name she beings with her from Fairfield, that will make her feel more at home, and more importantly, that she is accepted as one of them. If you call me "Chica", you accept me as I am, and as the baller it says I am. Think about it. :)

I know BY'ers like to give new players a nick name. I'm more comfortable with allowing her teammates to give her a moniker than trying to be creative and come up with one myself. It's hard to give someone you don't know and have never met a nick name.

A nick name is not valid unless it sticks. I remember when Christian Williams was a freshman. Several names was suggested by yarders, none of which stuck. Her teammates gave her the nick name of "squeaks." THAT one stuck. :cool:
Good points @Carnac. I hope she's Chica in May, feels right at home and balls out.

I understand we like contests here and giving a nickname to a new player is a time honored ritual. Personally I have never understood it as it is the team that will nickname her or not. The monikers we bestow are not true nicknames, but more like a BY code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom