LJ Peak top 5... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

LJ Peak top 5...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Haha I guess I take back my previous statement. ABU is a freak! Myles Turner is a little taller but ABU is almost NBA ready in terms of physicality and athleticism.

Reaction Score

Haha I guess I take back my previous statement. ABU is a freak! Myles Turner is a little taller but ABU is almost NBA ready in terms of physicality and athleticism.

Oh yea. Very strong player with explosiveness.

Reaction Score

And why not! New vid for Black, posted 3 weeks ago.
If we can get either of those 3, Turner, Black or ABU to play PF and possibly Center depending on the line-up, we are in damn good shape. Chukwu would be a straight up Center.

Reaction Score
I’ll settle this out of topic argument….

The 2008-2009 Team was all about balance. There’s no one player that should be singled out as more important than another. It’s all a tie in my opinion. That’s why this team was so good. Too bad Dyson got hurt near the end of the season or maybe there could have been another banner hanging in the rafters….

Valuable Stats from 2008-2009 Season
Price: 14.7 ppg, 4.7 apg, 3.5 rpg, 0.7 spg, 40% 3FG
Adrien: 13.6 ppg, 9.9 rpg, 1.2 bpg, 1.7 apg, 50% FG
Thabeet: 13.6 ppg, 10.7 rpg, 4.2 bpg, 64% FG
An Extra Dimension…
Dyson: 13.2 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 3.2 apg, 1.8 spg, 35% 3FG
Walker: 8.9 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 2.9 apg, 1.1 spg, 47% FG
Robinson: 8.5 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 1.1 bpg, 50% FG
Balance most teams would LOVE to have…

Ok… back to discussing LJ Peak, as this forum was intended to do…

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I’ll settle this out of topic argument….

The 2008-2009 Team was all about balance. There’s no one player that should be singled out as more important than another. It’s all a tie in my opinion. That’s why this team was so good. Too bad Dyson got hurt near the end of the season or maybe there could have been another banner hanging in the rafters….

Valuable Stats from 2008-2009 Season
Price: 14.7 ppg, 4.7 apg, 3.5 rpg, 0.7 spg, 40% 3FG
Adrien: 13.6 ppg, 9.9 rpg, 1.2 bpg, 1.7 apg, 50% FG
Thabeet: 13.6 ppg, 10.7 rpg, 4.2 bpg, 64% FG
An Extra Dimension…
Dyson: 13.2 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 3.2 apg, 1.8 spg, 35% 3FG
Walker: 8.9 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 2.9 apg, 1.1 spg, 47% FG
Robinson: 8.5 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 1.1 bpg, 50% FG
Balance most teams would LOVE to have…

Ok… back to discussing LJ Peak, as this forum was intended to do…
Now you've done it. Peak hijacked to AJP hijacked to Dyson!!!!

Reaction Score
If every single point guard in UConn history played up to his potential, I think Price would be the second best after Kemba.

People forget how good he was because it took him awhile to get back to form after the brain hemorrhage, and then again after the ACL tear. All things considered, we probably only got to see two half-seasons of A.J. Price at his peak level.

In any event, he's easily one of the most underrated guys to have played at UConn.

Reaction Score
What is Amida's ceiling? We seem to dismiss him around here because he is a 3 star and a late riser. Why shouldn't I expect Thabeet like growth out of him?

I expect a nice shot blocking presence off the bench from Brimah, plus some added rebounds & dunks. Any scoring is a bonus. He's much more mobile than Thabeet. More finesse at this point. He'll score close to the basket, provided our guards look for him down low on occasion. He'll need to develop a post game outside put backs & easy dunks. He'll struggle guarding the strong, physical guys defensively. This is why someone like Abu coming in could help, to stand ground physically, with someone like Brimah and/or Chukwu standing behind Abu to swat shots away! Ala, the Adrien/Thabeet days. :)

But hey, seeing that Potential #1 Draft pick N.Noel weighed in at a whopping 206 lbs just for his defense, it's encouraging to me....

Reaction Score
Myles Turner looks really good from his videos, has a huge frame and is extremely well spoken for a 17 year old kid, very impressive.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
hey aj price is great but can we get back to the topic of this thread?

Reaction Score
forget underrated, AJ might be the most disrespected player to wear a UConn jersey. I don't know if its the laptop issue or what that leads to the downplaying of his career, but his last 2 years once the rust wore off were two of the best from a UConn PG in regards to play and leadership.
AJ deserves some disrespect. Laptopgate was the worse thing that ever happened to Uconn's basketball reputation.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
AJ deserves some disrespect. Laptopgate was the worse thing that ever happened to Uconn's basketball reputation.

I agree it was a really stupid, bad thing for the program and he went through a lot for his part in it. But if you don't also recognize how much he matured by going through that and his medical problems, you miss what was as big a story--not nationally, but for those who follow the team closely. To me, the way it was handled resulted in his life changing in a really positive way and he gave back to UConn by sticking the course and being a really positive leader his last two years. I prefer that outcome to freescooter's continuing desire to deal with every transgression in the most severe way possible with UConn's image being the primary concern. I think it should be a concern, just not the only or dominant one.

Reaction Score
That Myles Turner kid seems severely underrated. Been watching some vids of him. Moves better than of the other big men we are going after though he is thinner. Still, he is almost 7 feet tall with a nice bounce and quick feet. Can knock down the mid range and long range J. And can even put it on the floor when under pressure. Would be a huge get in my opinion. On tape he looks like he could be better than Black or Abu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaIFtcsEVbw[/quote]

totally different players. Black/Abu have excellent speed/quickness/skill package. Turner seems like a much more traditional Pivot/rim protector who can step out once in a while. Black/Abu will be firmly in the 3/4 mold while turner is a 5.

Reaction Score

I guess if you want to use that to discredit someone's game(and also ignore the fact that he matured as a person from that) then I guess that's your prerogative. It comes across as bitter, petty and immature, but carry on...

Reaction Score
The thing with AJ's stats is that he was really a shadow of himself his first year. Was slow, rusty, unathletic, couldn't shoot. I was expecting an adjustment phase after the very long layoff, but I honestly questioned whether he had legit Big East talent. So really I only consider his last two years to be an accurate representation of the type of player he was.

Reaction Score
AJ price was the best mid range shooter ive ever seen at UConn. Absolute money from 12-15 off the pullup.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

THC

Reaction Score
AJ price was the best mid range shooter ive ever seen at UConn. Absolute money from 12-15 off the pullup.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Better than RIP?

Reaction Score
Better than RIP?

different but equal. AJ everything was off the dribble, on the pullup.

RIP was coming off screens, no dribble mainly.

I was speaking of midrange off the bounce. he would get to that foul-line extended and it was all net from there.

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
Peak isn't a backup plan recruit by any measure.

He's top 35 (ESPN).

Which is similar to Ray Allen, Ben Gordon, AJ Price and a few other Uconn greats.

One of these things is not like the other... Not saying he wasn't good, but I wouldn't put him up there with Ray or Gordon, and probably not in the top 10.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
One of these things is not like the other... Not saying he wasn't good, but I wouldn't put him up there with Ray or Gordon, and probably not in the top 10.

Debating how good AJ was compared to other Uconn greats sure would be a good off-season topic. The topic could go down a bunch of different paths- pure stats as compared to leadership, uncontrollable mitigating factors such as AVM and an ACL injury, how valuable AJ was compared to Hasheem and Adrien.

Reaction Score

AJ was the team's top gun that year and lead them to a F4. To say he was not at Gordon's level is myopic. AJ took over games. He was practically unstoppable.

Reaction Score
AJ was the team's top gun that year and lead them to a F4. To say he was not at Gordon's level is myopic. AJ took over games. He was practically unstoppable.

They key for us getting Peak upstater is to be sure he does not visit Louisville, it's way too nice a city!! LOL

Reaction Score
They key for us getting Peak upstater is to be sure he does not visit Louisville, it's way too nice a city!! LOL

Watching the videos of Peak, it seems clear he has an extraordinary level of athleticism. I wonder why he's ranked so low. Are they looking at his handle? What? Count me as someone who would be extremely happy with Abu, Chukwu and Peak. I'm talking just one of these guys. I don't know what the national people are looking at, but in a few lists, all 3 are ranked outside the top 50. Then you look at their videos and they are clearly spectacular players who show more ability than top 20 guys. I don't get it.

Maybe it's that judging from videos is foolish, but we've seen too many Jeremy Lambs and and Emeka Okafors and Ben Gordons at UConn to know better. Some of these lower ranked kids should be ranked much higher, and Leak is clearly a kid like that. Love to have him at UConn.

Reaction Score
I clicked on this thread wondering why in the world it deserved nearly 100 replies...

Maybe he committed, mid-thread but now that I look at it..

:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc