Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Diarra-----Nowell
McNeeley-Ball
Stewart----Ross
Karaban---Roumeglou
Transfer---Johnson

i had Ball penciled in as a starter but he's lost his spot in the rotation to Stew. Can McNeeley and Stew be our starting wings? that would be a giant lineup.
Nonsense, Ball didn't lose his spot to Stew. We have enough guards and Ball was filling in for Castle. Stew rotates with the bigs.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying he's going to end up in Storrs - I have no idea. But for a kid who wants to win and develop decommitting from Indiana seems like the no-brainer of all no-brainers. I saw they just got another 5 star commitment - it's inexplicable to me that a kid with any kind of future would commit to Woodson at the moment.

Reaction Score
Funny you say that. I don’t have you on ignore but you do tend to think your opinion is the only one that makes sense.
No, I think plenty of people have opposing viewpoints that make sense and are valid. And I'm wrong all the time. But I'm not going to mince words when someone is saying something objectively dumb like you and Stephon Castle

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
No, I think plenty of people have opposing viewpoints that make sense and are valid. And I'm wrong all the time. But I'm not going to mince words when someone is saying something objectively dumb like you and Stephon Castle
You don’t really know what I think. I think you are objectively dumb if you think it’s a slam dunk we win any shoot out against a dangerous offense. i hired a lot of smart people. You would struggle to make the list but I would hear you out. your arrogance is pretty much always front and center.

Reaction Score
I would be happy with one recruit who fits our values and is highly ranked to choose UConn instead of Duke, Kansas, UNC or Kentucky. Need some help with my memory. Have we ever swooped in and taken a top tier recruit from one of those schools. I heard Daniels mentioned but let’s be honest he was kind of a bust until his junior season. Yes he was serviceable but was rail thin and was not the best rebounder for a guy 6’8” or 6’9”. Newton is a way better rebounder than Daniels and the only thing Daniels did better than Castle was shoot. But by the time Castle reaches Daniels age he will be superior in every facet of the game.

But I just am not going to get caught up in recruiting this off season. Last off season was a negative drain on enjoying an off season of being the champs.

Hurley will figure it out. I am just hoping we keep Kimani and Luke but that is going to end fairly soon. Honestly right now if Hurley just decided to retire I would not want anyone else as our coach other than Kimani or maybe Luke. Moore is too important in his new role of GM and I think that is a position he will thrive in.
Unfair to Daniels. The lightbulb went off for him as his sophomore season progressed and by February, he was as important as anyone in keeping that team banned from the postseason in the Big East race until late in the year.

Reaction Score
You don’t really know what I think. I think you are objectively dumb if you think it’s a slam dunk we win any shoot out against a dangerous offense. i hired a lot of smart people. You would struggle to make the list but I would hear you out. your arrogance is pretty much always front and center.
Don't worry, I have no interest in ever working for you

Reaction Score

It's easy to hire smart. The best of us hire from the cesspool. Come back to me when your most qualified applicant forgot to put their name on a resume.

True story. Happened 2 weeks ago.

Reaction Score
I would be happy with one recruit who fits our values and is highly ranked to choose UConn instead of Duke, Kansas, UNC or Kentucky. Need some help with my memory. Have we ever swooped in and taken a top tier recruit from one of those schools. I heard Daniels mentioned but let’s be honest he was kind of a bust until his junior season. Yes he was serviceable but was rail thin and was not the best rebounder for a guy 6’8” or 6’9”. Newton is a way better rebounder than Daniels and the only thing Daniels did better than Castle was shoot. But by the time Castle reaches Daniels age he will be superior in every facet of the game.

But I just am not going to get caught up in recruiting this off season. Last off season was a negative drain on enjoying an off season of being the champs.

Hurley will figure it out. I am just hoping we keep Kimani and Luke but that is going to end fairly soon. Honestly right now if Hurley just decided to retire I would not want anyone else as our coach other than Kimani or maybe Luke. Moore is too important in his new role of GM and I think that is a position he will thrive in.
Wasn’t Cam Spencer recruited by Kentucky and Kansas too, when he entered the portal?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It's easy to hire smart. The best of us hire from the cesspool. Come back to me when your most qualified applicant forgot to put their name on a resume.

True story. Happened 2 weeks ago.
Hiring is a crapshoot kinda like hoops recruiting. It’s often unpredictable how some hires will turn out from an interview, a resume or a reference. But I would never hire an obviously arrogant know it all. Before I was a division head I sat in with my boss in the interviews of people who would be working with. One of them was obviously bright but to me came off as potentially difficult with a huge ego. For particular reasons i knew the person would be favored because they met a certain demographic. I told my boss what i thought but he did the hire. I was right as rain and of course when my boss moved on, i was hired to take his place and for a time was stuck with the person. As i said, a smart person, but to put it into UConn recruiting terms, didn’t fit the rather collegial culture of our department.

For our pal navery, if was Castle or any kid who was about to have several million thrown at them by some employer, I would leave too if they felt my flaws could be worked on with their help rather than in school. A no brainer. Of course it does’t also necessarily mean staying in school another year is dumb either. I actually wouldn’t care if kids were drafted right of hs if scouts think them ready. Cuts the pretense of student athlete, even more of a pretense with NIL (not against it) and the transfer portal free for all, that i think could use some refinement.

What i will never agree with, but it’s only my dumb opinion, is that it benefits UConn if a terrific player gives us one or two years when their best collge days are likely still to come. Notice I didn’t say they are dumb for leaving although it isn’t the easiest life for a 19 or 20 year old, aside from whether or not they are mature enough to handle it. Seems now that anytime one of our young guys had a good game people are speculating on how soon they are draftable. I have this terrible habit from a managerial point of view of looking forward beyond the immediate gratification. Obviously i hope we win it all this year and if we do, the 2 guys most likely to go pro early, SC and DC, will have been critical. But probably not making us a big winner without Newton, Spencer and Diarra, our most experienced players. I can’t see Karaban being ready yet and think he will stay but again, I’m no NBA GM. So looking ahead to next year, if Newton, Spencer, Diarra whom we seemingly aren’t sure will leave, plus SC and DC gone, how good will it be that SC and DC left.

People need to be ready for rebuilding unless we strike gold in the portal. Where i
i think navery is off the rails and dumber than I, is that and I think it was him, maybe you too. who think great hs potential 1 and dones will be attracted because a player like Castle shows it can be done from UConn, if I understand the premise and that is good for the program. I think winning is good for the program. First of all that’s a total unknown. Castle committed before Hurley had shown anything except disappoint per BY world by us getting bounced in round 1 two years in a row. And following Castle’s commitment with you and the rest of the world saying he was one and done AND we had won the NC, not only did we not get any apparent early draftees, but we could’t woo one of the supposed best New England kids ever away from a program and coach everyone on the BY likes to trash, could’t get the cousin of a commit who also went to that other trashed program, and lost the supposed best in-state recruit to Cincinnati where only the ghost of the Big O is a winner. Further, if it starts to look a tiny bit like UK, folks should remember that they are in a freqent state of rebuild.

Now, you like to take shots at me regarding the NBA. I’m not sure if you notice the difference, but I have zero interest in the NBA and a lot of interest in UConn. As I said, I know why kids are attracted to NBA money and it’s their life. You are the one who brings up the NBA. You can love the NBA all you like with my utter approval. But I know i an not alone in finding the games boring and repetitive. Obviously there are a load of really talented players. But it is neither a valid or invalid state of mind to like or not like the modern NBA. Nor is it dumb, I suggest, that UConn would likely be better off next year with both SC and DC.

FWIW ( for an ancient SOB i do know some internet shorthand) I like your talent evaluations. I just don’t get thrilled with early departures, being neither the family or agent of any of them. God bless the portal.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
i-aint-reading-all-that-im-happy-for-you-tho-or-sorry-that-v0-36n75ab7lc7a1.png

Reaction Score
We are having the most incredible season in program history. Three wins away from Natty #6. Why would anyone on the yard be a cranky pants and get in a pissing match? Bad mojo!, I’ve just been walking around giddy for the past several months. Positive vibes. Go UConn! Trust in DH!

Reaction Score
Tom is the perfect guy for the acting GM role based on his extensive background. Have heard Dan repeatedly refer/imply that Tom has been helping in that capacity for the last month.

The fact that Dan took the time to speak to a HS recruit during Tournament season suggests to me that Tom thought it was important and necessary for that conversation to happen sooner rather than later. He's got an excellent feel for timing and recruiting.

Let's take care of business tonite . Tough opponent but beatable.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying he's going to end up in Storrs - I have no idea. But for a kid who wants to win and develop decommitting from Indiana seems like the no-brainer of all no-brainers. I saw they just got another 5 star commitment - it's inexplicable to me that a kid with any kind of future would commit to Woodson at the moment.
He probably sells them based on how he played in "the league" and can help them get there.
My cousins all went to IU and they thought he'd be great because of how good he was at IU and in his pro career but one of them is now lamenting the fact they fired Crean and wishes they'd bring him back.

Reaction Score

True story. Happened 2 weeks ago.ime for you to find a new line of work.
If that really is true it's time for you to find a new line of work!

Reaction Score
He probably sells them based on how he played in "the league" and can help them get there.
My cousins all went to IU and they thought he'd be great because of how good he was at IU and in his pro career but one of them is now lamenting the fact they fired Crean and wishes they'd bring him back.
You know things are bad if people are begging for Tom crean…..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom