2024 Recruiting: - Liam McNeeley | Page 26 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Liam McNeeley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The US women's national team has won 4 World Cups, twice as many as any other country, and 4 Olympic Golds. No other team has won more than 1. We're basically Wooden-era UCLA.

The US men's national team has made the knockout rounds (top 16) at the World Cup five out of the past 8 tourneys, including in 2022 with the youngest team at the event, have made the quarterfinals of the past four U20 World Cups (no one else in the world has done that), are regularly sending players to the top club teams in the world, and have been utterly dominant in the region under Berhalter. We're basically mid-90s era UConn.

You need to update your priors.
The biggest reason the US women were so good was because the rest of the world was so bad. Women's sports were taken so much more seriously here than elsewhere. When we were legally enforcing equal opportunity for female and male athletes there were plenty of countries who continued to make women's sports illegal.

Reaction Score
So, connecting the dots here, we’re apparently recruiting McNeeley for basketball, soccer, and track? Kid’s going to be busy.

Reaction Score
It's really not. The way he was hired was gross but the team's results under him have been very good, and the process has been excellent.
Hard Disagree. We have the best generation of players ever. He IS NOT above replacement level as a coach. We dont need someone for 2026 that is also learning on the job. He does not have one signature win. We've beaten the teams we're supposed to beat and that is it.

Reaction Score
It's really not. The way he was hired was gross but the team's results under him have been very good, and the process has been excellent.
We’ve beaten Mexico, but we don’t have the results against top teams consistently under Gregg. We don’t create enough chances through build up, it’s only really on the wings. I don’t think his philosophy fits our strengths.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Hard Disagree. We have the best generation of players ever. He IS NOT above replacement level as a coach. We dont need someone for 2026 that is also learning on the job. He does not have one signature win. We've beaten the teams we're supposed to beat and that is it.
Take the soccer talk elsewhere please?

Reaction Score
Guess I'm out of the loop... McNeeley plays soccer now?

But his parents can't afford the travel. Must be why he enrolled at Montverde for basketball

Reaction Score
I hate basketball too. Unfortunately my only other hobby is getting punched in the face and my wife says I can't do that any more.
Have her come talk to me. I’ll learn her the importance of you being socked in the kisser.

Reaction Score
It is the cheapest to technically just play - you just need a ball. You can set up shoes as goals or whatever you want. However, in the U.S., to become a great player you need coaching and coaching is extremely expensive at the highest levels. A local youth club near me charges $3,000 per player per season (3 seasons, so $9,000 for the year). If you want to be seen by college coaches and play in showcase tournaments, etc. you need to play on those elite teams. College coaches don't pay any attention to high school teams because high school soccer is abysmal.

When I was playing in the 2000's, clubs cost about $1500 - $2000 per year, and prices have skyrocketed since then.
Baseball is the same way unless you find the right program/coach. Most AAU teams were $3000-$5000/yr. Mine was tournament entry fee divided by the number of players and pay your own travel & hotel costs. We were all very fortunate. Half the team went on to play college baseball and a couple guys got stints in pro baseball.

Reaction Score
Guess I'm out of the loop... McNeeley plays soccer now?
Correct. It’s going to be tough for us to beat the NIL offer from Man U but where there’s a will there’s a way.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I hear Kentucky throwing serious NIL at LM to sway him.

I definitely want to go get coached by the goofy guy who's never won a game at UK and never won a tourney game period rather than the 2-time defending champion coach who's gonna have put 5-7 guys in the NBA over 2 years.

Reaction Score
Nowell has a man's body already, so that's a big plus, but so did Solo and he didn't have a huge freshmen year, but they're different type players. I'm convinced Nowell will have a great year, but we need HD. Can't have only one true ball handler.
Solo didn't have a huge freshman year because of TN, CS, SC, and HD!!!

Reaction Score
Most track events are boring but have you ever seen a steeplechase? Absolute insanity
I love track and field. Everyone is doped up and doing insane things the human body isn't supposed to be capable of. There will always be something really cool about being the fastest person on the planet. I was there as a kid for the Dream team and all the records being shattered in track and field and the track and field was more exciting.

Reaction Score
Im in Jamaica right now and listening to the locals talk about Usain Bolt is very cool.

Reaction Score
I love track and field. Everyone is doped up and doing insane things the human body isn't supposed to be capable of. There will always be something really cool about being the fastest person on the planet. I was there as a kid for the Dream team and all the records being shattered in track and field and the track and field was more exciting.
I appreciate that. My experience was a little different sitting on bleachers at Hall High in March shivering and waiting for the half mile and 4x4 :D

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Biggest what-if with Khalid…what if he had stuck around for one more year and got to pair with Caron for a season?
That never occurred to me. I always think he would have been better off leaving as a freshman. But yeah, once he got hurt late as a soph he likely would have been better off staying.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Take the soccer talk elsewhere please?
IMG_6732.jpeg

Reaction Score
Humans were given 10 fingers and 2 arms for a reason. Sports that make it a rule not to use them are just plain weird.
God gave us two ears and one mouth for a reason as well but people still talk twice as much as they listen

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Can we all just agree soccer is stupid? My kids are playing basketball, track, or learning how to fight. Everything else is foolish.
It the best sport ever. It's so good the US hasn't been able to mess it up yet. Lord knows they are trying.

Reaction Score
Bodes well for us as in we have the chance to lock it up before he takes any other visits. Not implying he’s visiting us first because we’re his favorite as of today.
good point...plus he's already been through the recruiting process so prob doesn't need to see as many places...

Reaction Score
So Liam- Big Hoss is going to be grabbing some Boards for you so you can do your thing . Gonna be a fun ride. Are you in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom