2024 Recruiting: - Liam McNeeley | Page 25 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Liam McNeeley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
25 years ago a lot of NBA players came from inner cities. It is much much different now.
Point is natural gifts are a good starting point. Having the support to develop those gifts is certainly a bonus.

Another interesting point you’ve touched is about basketball environment and culture. How significant is that to say, the NYC point guard, versus a suburban kid with all the bells and whistles. Fun discussion for another day. Actually a chapter or two in The History of Basketball.

Reaction Score
Best sport in the world. Just because Americans aren’t good at it dont make it untrue.

Humans were given 10 fingers and 2 arms for a reason. Sports that make it a rule not to use them are just plain weird.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Getting light-years off topic, but I made this point in another thread weeks ago:

People complain that we've gotten easy paths through the Tournament in our last few runs -- our region fell apart in 2004, faced 8 seeds for the championship in 2011 and 2014, faced 5 seeds in the Final Four in 2023 -- but we got absolutely none of that luck in the 90s and early 00s.

We never had a 1 seed knocked out early, we almost always faced the toughest possible seeds in the later rounds -- 1994 lost to chalk 3 seed Florida in Miami, 1995 lost to chalk 1 seed and eventual champ UCLA in California, 1998 lost to chalk 1 seed UNC in NC, 2002 lost to chalk 1 seed Maryland, 2003 lost to chalk 1 seed Texas in Texas.
People like to complain but they are either intentionally overlooking or clueless as to what happened.

1999 - nobody can say anything about that run.

2004 - the only possible gripe (especially considering the national semifinal game) could be Ga Tech being our title game opponent but I want to know if Duke had beaten us in the semifinal and won the title that year would anyone say they lucked out?

2011 - we had a run very similar to Duke in 2010 (other than we were a three seed, they had been a one) including the same opponent in the title game. We actually won our game comfortably while it took a very late, very questionable foul call to give them the game (which was almost lost on a half court shot at the buzzer). Nobody claimed Duke was lucky in 2010.

2014 - this was actually a more formidable set of opponents than anyone wants to admit. Nova was a two that many felt should have been a one, Iowa St was a three. Michigan St beat one seed Virginia, Florida was a one seed. The issue here would have to be the order in which we played them because if Kentucky happened a few rounds earlier and Nova in the finals, there wouldn't be anything for anyone to gripe about.

During the past two runs I don't know what else we could have done to prove ourselves. There is no case anyone can make to claim we weren't clearly the best team both years.

I really don't get how some believe they can diminish any of our titles as I can guarantee they would not view them as luck if their schools has won them. We did the only thing we could do, beat the teams they put in front of us. What were we supposed to do when an alleged undeserving opponent faced us, say "this game shouldn't count"?

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Best sport in the world. Just because Americans aren’t good at it dont make it untrue.
The US women's national team has won 4 World Cups, twice as many as any other country, and 4 Olympic Golds. No other team has won more than 1. We're basically Wooden-era UCLA.

The US men's national team has made the knockout rounds (top 16) at the World Cup five out of the past 8 tourneys, including in 2022 with the youngest team at the event, have made the quarterfinals of the past four U20 World Cups (no one else in the world has done that), are regularly sending players to the top club teams in the world, and have been utterly dominant in the region under Berhalter. We're basically mid-90s era UConn.

You need to update your priors.

Reaction Score
That's particularly prevalent in most girls sports and boys lacrosse for whatever reason in my experience. But especially girls soccer. When I worked in a rich area, the girls in town were constantly playing soccer. I coached their team one year even though I hate soccer and know nothing about it, and we didn't lose a single game. My current school in the hood couldn't even get enough girls to try out to form a team. Middle and lower-class families aren't investing in those sports for whatever reason.
This is my experience as well.

I coached a travel team while my kids played premier. One year I joined with an investment banker in town, former D1 player from Brazil at Cuse, and we went over to the poor side of town to start a new club. I brought along a HS football coach whose daughters were all playing soccer on my kids' teams (by the way, ESPN did an hour long feature on this family, because they qualified for the US National wrestling team, but were not allowed to compete internationally because they wanted to be covered neck to toe in sports clothes as Muslims). We coached an all ages group (7th through 11th grade) of mostly immigrant kids from Central America, Somalia and Burma. The parents worked 3 jobs a day, and we had to take turns picking up kids at their home since the trek to the field was a 45 minute walk through the city. We packed them into cars like sardines on gameday. The HS football coach was tyrannical and ran practices like bootcamp. No lines, no stopping, when we weren't doing tactics with one group, they were moving.

Anyway, the whole experience lasted only 2 years. The kids dropped off because of the commitment and we were spent ourselves. The investment bank guy kept at it by taking the competition down a notch into a House League.

My sense was that getting poor kids from the city (even if they come from soccer culture backgrounds) to train and organize required a great deal of resources and dedication. I'm not proud to say we gave up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The US women's national team has won 4 World Cups, twice as many as any other country, and 4 Olympic Golds. No other team has won more than 1. We're basically Wooden-era UCLA.

The US men's national team has made the knockout rounds (top 16) at the World Cup five out of the past 8 tourneys, including in 2022 with the youngest team at the event, have made the quarterfinals of the past four U20 World Cups (no one else in the world has done that), are regularly sending players to the top club teams in the world, and have been utterly dominant in the region. We're basically mid-90s era UConn.

You need to update your priors.
More kids who are our best athletes are starting to play because football is off the table for a lot of parents. Pay to pay is slowly being eliminated, and obviously a lot of hispanic-americans are involved.

This is our best generation talent wise, and the next one will be better, and so on.

Reaction Score
Around the world it’s the cheapest sport, but America has made it fairly expensive
Even when we do it cheaply though, there are huge impediments. Yes, kids aren't playing street soccer. And fields are hard to come by. BUT most top soccer players in the world come through clubs, and even they have a tuition fee. I think it's cultural.

Reaction Score
His mother played D1 basketball. At Rice. And she's a single mom. So that's a couple reasons why she's probably heavily involved.

Just keep her away from Mrs. Flagg.
Mama Flagg and her Laettner jersey are on the prowl for more five-stars to add to the Duke practice squad to help Cooper get to the semis of the ACC tourney next year. Compelling sales pitch really.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
More kids who are our best athletes are starting to play because football is off the table for a lot of parents. Pay to pay is slowly being eliminated, and obviously a lot of hispanic-americans are involved.
There are now roughly 35 free-to-play academies in the US (all 26 US-based MLS teams and a few USL sides). A decade back there were two.

It's incredibly hard to break into the top 10 teams in international soccer -- over the past 50 years, only Portugal has managed to do so and stay there over multiple generations. But we're doing all the things necessary to make that leap over the next 20 years.

It's fun and exciting.

Reaction Score
It is the cheapest to technically just play - you just need a ball. You can set up shoes as goals or whatever you want. However, in the U.S., to become a great player you need coaching and coaching is extremely expensive at the highest levels. A local youth club near me charges $3,000 per player per season (3 seasons, so $9,000 for the year). If you want to be seen by college coaches and play in showcase tournaments, etc. you need to play on those elite teams. College coaches don't pay any attention to high school teams because high school soccer is abysmal.

When I was playing in the 2000's, clubs cost about $1500 - $2000 per year, and prices have skyrocketed since then.
$9k is way beyond what we do locally in Buffalo. Even our top clubs in the MLS Next and ECNL are still under $4k.

BUT those MLS clubs are free if they have a parent team. Our team is just in the league so we end up competing against clubs that give out free tuition. Chicago Fire for instance. They're drawing from 10 million people while we draw from 2 million that are willing to pay $4k.

Reaction Score
There are now roughly 35 free-to-play academies in the US (all 26 US-based MLS teams and a few USL sides). A decade back there were two.

It's incredibly hard to break into the top 10 teams in international soccer -- over the past 50 years, only Portugal has managed to do so and stay there over multiple generations. But we're doing all the things necessary to make that leap over the next 20 years.

It's fun and exciting.
Unfortunate we have Berhalter at the helm

Reaction Score
Humans were given 10 fingers and 2 arms for a reason. Sports that make it a rule not to use them are just plain weird.
I agree. And for a very similar reason, I hate basketball.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Unfortunate we have Berhalter at the helm
It's really not. The way he was hired was gross but the team's results under him have been very good, and the process has been excellent.

Reaction Score
I agree. And for a very similar reason, I hate basketball.

I hate basketball too. Unfortunately my only other hobby is getting punched in the face and my wife says I can't do that any more.

Reaction Score
$9k is way beyond what we do locally in Buffalo. Even our top clubs in the MLS Next and ECNL are still under $4k.

BUT those MLS clubs are free if they have a parent team. Our team is just in the league so we end up competing against clubs that give out free tuition. Chicago Fire for instance. They're drawing from 10 million people while we draw from 2 million that are willing to pay $4k.

When I was a teenager and still committed to the sport my parents unwillingness/inability to fork out the cash for the ODP process was pretty much the end of the story.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
When I was a teenager and still committed to the sport my parents unwillingness/inability to fork out the cash for the ODP process was pretty much the end of the story.

ODP was a pain. Seemed to be more political than anything else. The whole system of the sport is terrible in America. The MLS is front and center of it

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If you really want an annual financial punch to the testicles, have your kid play travel hockey…

Being much older now, I really appreciate all the time and money my parents put into soccer when I was playing. All the teams, gear, tournaments, etc.

Incredible amount of money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32