Lexie Brown leaving Maryland | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lexie Brown leaving Maryland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
She was from Georgia which isn't so far from Maryland (not like it's halfway across the country). She finished her sophomore year as an AA, and got all kinds of B1G awards as well. I will be curious to hear the reasoning. I could see if it were a player who wasn't getting any PT, but she was a starter and averaged over 13 PPG and was the 2nd or 3rd leading scorer on the team.

Usually it seems a player leaves a high profile school to go elsewhere for more PT or playing opportunities. That doesn't seem to be the case for Lexie. I will be curious to see if there is any more enlightening info that comes out...

Maybe she feels she's fulfilled her achievements. If I remember correctly Maryland was her dream school, she may just want change. Me being the same age and in college myself I wouldn't penalize her if she just wants a change of scenery. Time should tell

HGN

Reaction Score
So , does she transfer to University of GA. , with their new coach ? Or does she look at the Rambling Wreck of Georgia Tech? Or does she join the bandwagon and transfer to the LadyVols? Since she did say she wanted to be closer to home.

HGN

Reaction Score
“I want to thank Coach Frese, the staff and my teammates for two great seasons at the University of Maryland,” Brown said. “After talking with my family, I thought it was in my best interest to continue my education and pursue playing basketball at a university closer to my home. I truly enjoyed the friendships that I made and the outstanding support of the great Terp fans during my time in College Park.”
This can't make Brenda Frese too happy. She had a very strong and stable program going with consecutive FF runs. I wish both Lexie and Frese well.

Reaction Score
So , does she transfer to University of GA. , with their new coach ? Or does she look at the Rambling Wreck of Georgia Tech? Or does she join the bandwagon and transfer to the LadyVols? Since she did say she wanted to be closer to home.
If she does go to Rocky Top, not only will she be part of a team that has a strong chance to make a final four or two, but she'll be taking more than six hours off her current college travel time. Still... it seems to me like there's something more to this than just getting closer to home. My bet would be that it has to do with the dynamics at Maryland. Rising juniors who start and are an integral part of a successful team, just don't normally transfer to.... be closer to home!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
“I definitely grew up a fan of Pat Summitt and her program,” [Lexie] Brown said of college basketball’s career leader in coaching wins, men or women. “I’ve always been a fan of Tennessee. I’ve never really wanted to go there, but I’ve always been appreciative of what Pat Summitt brought to our sport. Last year to be able to play a team like that, it was a lot of fun. It was really cool to be able to play against the legendary Tennessee Lady Vols.”

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score

Not sure how Tennessee taking one transfer since 1994 is a bandwagon, but I digress...

It wouldn't surprise me to see both her and Davis end up at Georgia.

Reaction Score
If Kaela and Lexie both end up in Knoxville ("closer to home") that would be a serious NC contending team.

Reaction Score
Will Lexie And K.Davis package deal to UGA.. they would sure contend for 3rd place in the SEC

Reaction Score
The top 3 players from the State of Georgia in 2013 have all transferred/transferred.. Insane

Reaction Score
"Closer to home" always strikes me as a cop out - a nice convenient cover for whatever the real reason is, especially in the age of skype, facetime, twitter, etc. etc.

does anyone really think Brown wrote that statement ? When someone leaves Maryland they either say they want to be closer to home, or they want to be closer to a sick relative- the statement is rarely sincere when we learn the new school, or the alleged illness

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
If Lexie swallowed some magical Truth Pill and felt completely free to hold a "clarifying" press conference (as politicians often do), she may say something like this:
"Forget all that stuff I said about wanting to be closer to home. Likewise the warm sendoff by Maryland coaches and fans. I didn't want to burn my bridges and they have an image to preserve."

Truth is that I liked the rarefied air of the Final Four. It tasted good and I wanna go someplace that gives me a better shot than I have here in Maryland."

I have a year to sit out and two more to play so I can not only go to a potential NC program but snag a master's degree --free to me! -- along the way."
Thee above "quote" is totally speculative and highly mischievous. So don't believe it. Just sayin'

Reaction Score
She played AAU with Diamond and Cooper, so I wouldn't be surprised if she wanted to join them at Tennessee.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
As a fan of all things TERPS this is 'ing killing me right now :mad:
I do agree that the B10 is a weak WBB conference but damn it's bad blow to our program none the less. Also none of this matters UCONN will still win it all next year. Those young ladies personify what a true champion is all about! Is there room for me to jump on the wagon? :D

Sho nuff.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
As a fan of all things TERPS this is 'ing killing me right now :mad:
I do agree that the B10 is a weak WBB conference but damn it's bad blow to our program none the less. Also none of this matters UCONN will still win it all next year. Those young ladies personify what a true champion is all about! Is there room for me to jump on the wagon? :D

Wish we still could post gifs.... cause I had one just for that comment :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the April 5th game factored bigtime into Lexie's decision, though we'll never know. Darn you, Huskies.

I don't think Kaela Davis and DDeShields (excellent as she is) are "team-first" type players. Lexie Brown, on the other hand, definitely is. And she would look absolutely fantastic in a Husky uniform.

Last edited:

JS

Reaction Score
Is there room for me to jump on the wagon? :D

stop-drinking-demotivational-poster-1241401362.jpg

After all, Lexie Brown ain't the end of the world.
Oh, you mean become a UConn fan? Well, we can't guarantee happiness, but you'll have a good shot at it, at least during basketball games.

So come out of your shell. What'll we call you? TerpHusky?

Reaction Score
She was from Georgia which isn't so far from Maryland (not like it's halfway across the country). She finished her sophomore year as an AA, and got all kinds of B1G awards as well. I will be curious to hear the reasoning. I could see if it were a player who wasn't getting any PT, but she was a starter and averaged over 13 PPG and was the 2nd or 3rd leading scorer on the team.

Usually it seems a player leaves a high profile school to go elsewhere for more PT or playing opportunities. That doesn't seem to be the case for Lexie. I will be curious to see if there is any more enlightening info that comes out...
Georgia may not be far from Maryland, but she committed to Maryland when it was in the ACC, and it's at least possible that conference realignment played a factor in her decision to transfer:
"Brown is extremely close with her family, and the logistical challenges for her mother and siblings to attend games grew all the more complicated last season when Maryland joined the Big Ten. During her freshman year, the Terrapins were in their final season as a member of the ACC, where Maryland’s road games often were within driving distance for Brown’s relatives."
That's from a Washington Post item from today.

Reaction Score
If Lexie is serious about transferring closer to her GA home she could go 1 state south and still go to a Div. I powerhouse at Fla. St.!
With having to sit out her 1 year she'll still be able to play at least one season with with L. Romero !
A lot of times players give all sorts of reasons for transferring, but if Lexie does want to play closer to GA for her family, MD switching to the B1G Ten sure moves most of the schedule from the SouthEast USA to the MidWest USA! GA to NoCar is a lot easier than GA to MN or IA or PSU!

Well Raoul, while I'm typing this you beat me to the same thoughts! I guess great minds do think alike!

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Having had a taste of 2 Final Fours in her 2 seasons at Maryland I'd expect her to look at schools with legitimate shots at the FF in '17 and "18. South Carolina comes to mind as needing guards in a big way after next season.

Three Maryland players were invited to the Pan Am/WUG trials and Brown was the only one of the 3 who didn't make the final cut.

I had heard she might be considering USC, also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom