Lexie Brown leaving Maryland | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Lexie Brown leaving Maryland

Status
Not open for further replies.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
"Closer to home" always strikes me as a cop out - a nice convenient cover for whatever the real reason is, especially in the age of skype, facetime, twitter, etc. etc.

It would be hilarious if Kaela Davis said she was transferring to be closer to home.... and ended up at Emory :cool:

Could they form a dynamic back court at Georgia. Was Andy Landers (whose career suggest he's not) any reason why all these kids left the state in the past few years. Diamond Cooper Brown and Davis maybe a small rotation (see Baylor) but add a good post player and they would win a few games.

Their arent enough basketballs in the state of TN for that lineup to work :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I'm not sure exactly when she signed with Maryland, but whatever the date may have been, it was well known at that time, if not official yet, that Maryland was going to be leaving the ACC and going to the B1G. The official announcement came on Nov 20, 2012 with Lexi coming in for the fall of 2013. So she knew that her opportunity to play teams in the south was for a just brief period. Additionally, as someone mentioned earlier, UM is a 10 hour drive from her home.... a very long distance for a car ride to go see her play a game. So factoring those two items in together, it seems clear that she was aware there were going to be very few chances for her family and friends to see her play in person. Lastly, in her UM bio, they have some remarks she made about why she was coming to UM. It says she verbally commited early on without seriously considering any other schools. that doesn't sound like someone who is concerned about the distance factor. Of the other reasons mentioned, none talk about family being able to watch her play games. Many times, when that's important to a player, it's one of the first things they mention as to reasons for selecting that school. It may take some time to come out, but I'm in the camp that thinks there is something else that caused her to want out of College Park.
A 10 hour drive, but short plane ride, and her father Dee Brown hopefully saved up a few dollars from his NBA days. If she knocks the drive down to say 3 hrs that still 6 hour round trip. People in CT don't like the hour drive from New Haven to Storrs. I have nothing to go on when I say I think it's something outside hoops (and not driving distance) causing the transfer.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Okay, you asked. Here are two. Melissa Miller averaged 8.9 minutes and 3 points a game at Merrimack. She's described as a "rising senior":

Rising Senior

"Rising sophomore" Taylor Brown averaged 4 points at Georgetown:

Rising Sophomore

There are hundreds of other examples. As others have noted, it's a commonly used phrase and simply denotes a player's upcoming year at college. It has nothing whatsoever to do with quality of play.

Checked around the internet and found that I'm dead wrong (but still surprised)
Sorry for being ignorantly argumentative

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
A 10 hour drive, but short plane ride, and her father Dee Brown hopefully saved up a few dollars from his NBA days. If she knocks the drive down to say 3 hrs that still 6 hour round trip. People in CT don't like the hour drive from New Haven to Storrs. I have nothing to go on when I say I think it's something outside hoops (and not driving distance) causing the transfer.

A three hour one way trip isnt bad........ heck..... im planning a few three hour drives to go pick up some lunch this summer.... and then three hours back :cool: I once seriously thought about making a 4 hour trip to Knoxville for a burger.... but I came to my senses ( plus the franchise opened up a location in my city)

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
It would be hilarious if Kaela Davis said she was transferring to be closer to home.... and ended up at Emory :cool:

Their arent enough basketballs in the state of TN for that lineup to work :rolleyes:

Not Emory! How would my (Chicago) Maroons ever win the UAA?

I snorted audibly at the second comment - too true.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Dee Brown works for the Sacramento Kings, so could closer to home mean a West Coast School if the family decides to move closer to his job. He's an Ass't Coach and in charge of Player Development. :)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Not Emory! How would my (Chicago) Maroons ever win the UAA?

I snorted audibly at the second comment - too true.

I had no idea what the UAA was, so I googled it. Thats a great concept.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
In some cases yes.. but not in all. You figure when Brown signed with Maryland.... 9 of the conference schools were within reasonable driving distance from her family. I dont care how much you like to drive.... Iowa City, Lincoln, Minneapolis, Madison, East Lansing...et al ... arent within reasonable driving distance of Atlanta Metro.

Ive heard the term "rising" in that context since the 1980s.. perhaps its new to some of the posters on this board ?
It's been around forever in the K-12 education world. It's not a sports-only term.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It is a term normally used between the end of a school year and the start of the next.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
It's been around forever in the K-12 education world. It's not a sports-only term.

Yes.. I was part of the K-12 education world in the 1980s..... when someone would ask me in June..... I would tell them I was a rising sophomore... junior.. or senior. Cant remember if i told anyone that i was a rising 7th grader et al ...... but I might have

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Ok im confused with her decision. She wants to play somewhere thats going to give her a chance to go back and play in the final four. Well Lexi you took Maryland there two years in a row. So i doubt Georgia is the school for her
Alyssa Thomas took them there last year. Lexie was probably the best player this year, but Walker--Kimbrough, Jones, and Mincy were good as well.

Reaction Score
Sometimes people don't realize how much they want to be close to home until they're far away. The conference realignment probably reinforced that. You can't crucify a kid and her family for thinking they'd be able to make something work, it not working out, and her deciding she simply wants to transfer closer to home.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Sometimes people don't realize how much they want to be close to home until they're far away. The conference realignment probably reinforced that. You can't crucify a kid and her family for thinking they'd be able to make something work, it not working out, and her deciding she simply wants to transfer closer to home.

Suggest shouldn't criticize as a more judicious choice of words.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yes.. I was part of the K-12 education world in the 1980s..... when someone would ask me in June..... I would tell them I was a rising sophomore... junior.. or senior. Cant remember if i told anyone that i was a rising 7th grader et al . but I might have
Never used it. Still try not to. Think it's stupid. But when someone would ask me in June, what grade I'm in, I'd say "I'm not, school's out." (yea I was always a smart@ss). If they pressed, I'd tell them I'll be in 5th grade next year.

Same with age, if asked how old I was, I'd say "I'll be 10 in 11 months and 13 days". Never sell yourself short. :cool:

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I hadn't heard it til the last couple years. Still find it kind of a stupid use of the word no matter how long it's been around.

I agree - I don't like the word in this context.

Yeast rises. A person's or a company's status rises.

Does this mean I'm rising to old age?

Reaction Score
A three hour one way trip isnt bad... heck..... im planning a few three hour drives to go pick up some lunch this summer.... and then three hours back :cool: I once seriously thought about making a 4 hour trip to Knoxville for a burger.... but I came to my senses ( plus the franchise opened up a location in my city)
A three hour trip from the University Of Maryland to Atlanta?

Delusional.

The traffic on the DC Beltway and I-95 South is like a parking lot most of the time.

Reaction Score
Alyssa Thomas took them there last year. Lexie was probably the best player this year, but Walker--Kimbrough, Jones, and Mincy were good as well.
Mark my words...Walker-Kimbrough will be a WNBA star. If she wants to be.

Mincy should be playing with the NY Liberty. She was the anchor for the Terps this season. A lot like KML- pressure didn't bother her.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
A three hour trip from the University Of Maryland to Atlanta?

Delusional.

The traffic on the DC Beltway and I-95 South is like a parking lot most of the time.

I didnt say it was a 3 hour trip from Maryland to Atlanta :confused:

Ive been on the Beltway once on a Friday afternoon in july..... took us 2 hours to go from the Springfield Interchange to MD side of the Potomac River

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Mark my words...Walker-Kimbrough will be a WNBA star. If she wants to be.

Mincy should be playing with the NY Liberty. She was the anchor for the Terps this season. A lot like KML- pressure didn't bother her.

I really liked what I saw of Lauren in the NCAAs, but for reasons we have kicked around a lot about roster limits, etc. in the WNBA, both making it is tough and the fact someone is waived should not be a death knell for the player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom