Lets not be the Summitt | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Lets not be the Summitt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Try telling that to the 2008 Rutgers team that went to Knoxville. Or the 1972 men's Olympic team that still refuse the medals the refs say the earned.

Once again I feel that I have to come to the defense of the refs in the 1972 gold medal game.

Had it been up to the refs, the game would have ended with a USA win. It was an Olympic
basketball pooh-bah ( a Brit I believe) who came out of the stands and ordered the refs to
give the Russians another chance. Afterwards, he commented something to the effect that
he thought a Russian victory would be good for the game, rather than having the USA win
all the time.

Reaction Score
It has nothing to do with how many fouls each team had, but against whom the fouls were called and how that affected the game. Stefanie's third foul was bogus, even Doris Burke said that. You can't charge if the defensive player is moving. It should have been a non call. Stef would have stayed in and wouldn't have been sitting on the bench. However, UConn did learn that they can overcome injuries and foul trouble and still beat top ten teams.

Reaction Score
Maya seems to always be left out and I surely don't know why. I remember numerous times where she had the team on her back and if you remember, her first national championship game against Stanford when UConn only scored 12 points at halftime, wasn't it Maya that was magnificent and led the way to their turning the game around???? I also remember where Diana almost single handedly assured Notre Dame of a national championship when in her freshman year, with UConn having something like a 14 point half time lead, she shot something like one of fifteen in the second half to give Notre Dame a comfortable comeback win. I periodically bring that up because some people put Diana on a mountaintop as if she was the Princess of perfection and yet there have been times where she's been anything though I agree, it hasn't happened very often because she is an outstanding talent.
I was not referring to just a game or two but a season or even just the NCAA tourney. In DT's last season she carried that team to the N.C. and Parker did the same. I certainly respect Maya's skills and put her just a hair or two behind DT but she just doesn't seem to have that "give me the dam ball and clear out, I got this" attitude. She is more of a quiet leader. Draining her threes with the prettiest jump shot on Earth.

Reaction Score
You are not wrong here but I think the way you frame it was too complementary to Sims. She played a selfish game and made it all about her. If she stayed within the team concept they might have won.
I wish I knew what Mulkey's game plan was. Did she want everyone to run the game through Sims or did Sims just assume that role and play a selfish game. I think she is a great player and just ran into the best defense in the country. Flip side is she scores 42 points and they win....:eek:

Reaction Score
It has nothing to do with how many fouls each team had, but against whom the fouls were called and how that affected the game. Stefanie's third foul was bogus, even Doris Burke said that. You can't charge if the defensive player is moving. It should have been a non call. Stef would have stayed in and wouldn't have been sitting on the bench. However, UConn did learn that they can overcome injuries and foul trouble and still beat top ten teams.

While I agree that the third foul called against Stef was a bad call, your statement " You can't charge if the defensive player is moving" is not accurate. You most certainly can charge into a moving defensive player.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
One had to be impressed with the tenacious schemes, the huge effort of our two principle guards
and the unmatched help D, that more or less neutralized one of the finest guards/scorer of this season.

Geno's defensive concepts really work and can relegate the most competent scorer.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Totally agree with you. The officials allowing (wo)man handling in the interior prevents UConn from playing to it's strength. Perhaps it was karmic payback for the Ville-Baylor game that gave UConn number 7.
are you shortchanging Geno and the UConn Women

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I think what cost Baylor the game was Sims trying to put the whole team on her shoulders and carry her team to victory. There were only two players that I ever saw that could do that. Diana Taurasi and Candace Parker. There may be others that I haven't seen. Some others come to mind but I haven't seen them play.
Angel did it as well... of course she always came up short but she shouldered the LV load

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
#35... the kid that use to pout when things weren't going well for LV

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think the Angel referred to here is Angel from LV (Louisville) 08 - 10
Thanks rford, I've never seen LV used for L'ville before.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Thanks rford, I've never seen LV used for L'ville before.
I think before Daddy goes using it in that context again he really needs to clear it with the Summitt and also with Louis Vuitton, both of whom have trademarked the LV.

Actually. maybe Daddy was referring to a Victoria's Secret Angel Lyndsey Scott, who shouldered some of the hand bag display work for Vuitton. Also may look good in the paint.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
are you shortchanging Geno and the UConn Women
The opposite. The UConn ladies did what Baylor couldn't do last year when Ville man handled Griner.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
That would be nice. You can PM it to me.
Don't be so thin-skinned. Nan did NOT ask you to leave, she merely pointed out that you are free to do so, as are we all. Sort of like, if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the Boneyard, because you are pretty likely to take some. Personally, I enjoy reading your posts and hope you will stick around.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Sorry to be blunt ETT, but here is my honest take on your posts here at The BoneYard.

When you talk basketball, or use humor to make a point, your posts are more than interesting. However, when you descend into a Seinfeld Bizzaro world, you use words to poke and annoy, seemingly just for the sake of doing so. In many ways, since we a UCONN fan site, we are fish in a barrel, allowing you to play out issues of your own. So I think.

I do not mean to offend, as I am just saying, so to speak.

Reaction Score
As stated above, anybody looking at the foul differential and the final score who thinks the refs cost the Bears the game, is beyond foolish. We all watched an excellent, tight game, of which BOTH teams can be proud. For fans to offer pathetic excuses dishonors the players and coaches.

Yet there was a moment in the game when referee action may have influenced subsequent foul differential. After KML was whistled for swinging her arms to try to avoid the ball being grabbed away, the refs studied the monitor to see if KML's foul should be called flagrant. What they saw was clear from the replay: KML's elbows hit not face but arms. The Baylor player acted skillfully, not to draw a foul, but a foul call. Anyone watching the replay objectively saw the same thing. The refs were not allowed to reverse their foul call, but they became less easily taken in by flops and out-of-control collisions intended to draw foul calls.

Going forward, there are two ways to look at this. One is that flopping to draw foul calls is a skill that some teams teach and are very good at. Baylor and ND come to mind. One could say this is just a skill like any other, and part of the game as recently played and officiated. Another is that it should NOT be an accepted part of the game, and that referees need to wise up and stop allowing their calls to be manipulated by clever acting.

I believe this is an issue that needs attention, and clarification about how the game should be officiated. Not because I'm a fan of a team that does not practice this "skill", but because better quality basketball means not rewarding players for tricking referees. Flopping should be called a foul and referees allowed to watch the monitor to get the call right. Would that slow the game down too much? Not if monitor review resulting in a flop call cost the flopping team a time-out.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Sorry to be blunt ETT, but here is my honest take on your posts here at The BoneYard.

When you talk basketball, or use humor to make a point, your posts are more than interesting. However, when you descend into a Seinfeld Bizzaro world, you use words to poke and annoy, seemingly just for the sake of doing so. In many ways, since we a UCONN fan site, we are fish in a barrel, allowing you to play out issues of your own. So I think.

I do not mean to offend, as I am just saying, so to speak.

Thanks, Ozzie. All constructive cirticism is welcomed and no offense taken.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Side rant on a secondary issue expressed in parts of this thread...

When posting on another team's/school's message board, I think it is important for visiting posters to be mindful of the method in which they choose to communicate.

In general, I will always convey the same message/opinions on a multitude of message boards. But the manner in which I choose to convey that message may vary, depending on the audience. For example, I have been posting on the Boneyard since 2002, when it was a Rivals site. I started posting, guns blazing, opinions conveyed in a boisterous manner, etc. I was quickly shot down. And I think it led (in part, clearly not in whole) to some posters having a negative opinion about Duke as a result, basing their opinion on their only real "interaction" with Duke fans - my message board posts.

I did try to change my posting style, incorporate more humor, and demonstrate a self-deprecating style that mimics my communication in "real life." It took some time to repair message board relationships, but gradually, I began communicating off-board with people like ericsandiego, ucbart, and HuskyNan (even on the phone with all three) and got to hang out with two of them (ericsandiego and HuskyNan) in person.

And when Duke did not crumble in the post-Alana Beard era (lost Beard/Tillis/Krapohl to graduation, Hunter to transfer, and Harding to suspension, but made the Elite Eight in 2005 and then the National Championship game) in 2006 (beating UConn in Bridgeport in the process), there was a healthy respect that some Boneyard posters - who might otherwise have been offended at my message board behavior - developed for the Duke program.

But I am always mindful as to my method/style of communication on an opposing team's forum. It is not about changing opinions, posting falsely-held beliefs, or engaging in buttering up/brown-nosing/kissing tuchas behavior. It is about understanding how a message will be received by others who may very well likely disagree with you. So you will see many of my opinions backed up with facts and statistics, personal observations and first-hand anecdotal tales, and qualifiers (e.g., only having seen a certain number of games or only having seen games on television and not in person).

And when you make substantive posts and do so with respect (for both the players/teams of whom you speak as well as respect for the audience reading the posts), you get respect in return. Plain and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom