Lets not be the Summitt | The Boneyard

Lets not be the Summitt

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I don't know if that is always true (that the refs don't determine who will win), but it usually is true and certainly was true this evening.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
I don't know if that is always true (that the refs don't determine who will win), but it usually is true and certainly was true this evening.

Ok..I'll agree with that..

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Are you saying that the refs determined the outcome of the game, meaning they cost Baylor the game?

I CONCUR!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The referees don't determine who will win. The teams do.

Its kind of embarrassing to UConn basketball when a thread sounds like it came right out of the Summitt.

That is what the comments remind me of. As if for some reason there needs to be an excuse for the fact that another team played UCONN closely. UCONN had fewer fouls than Baylor. The "it was the refs bit is "embarrassing."

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Are you saying that the refs determined the outcome of the game, meaning they cost Baylor the game?

I CONCUR!

No. Some bad calls, on both sides. I expect that Baylor fans will have the questionable calls burning in their memories with a white hot fire, while assuming that flops getting a call were obviously good calls, just like some UConn fans will feel the opposite. 18 fouls on Baylor 15 on UConn, not enough to make a case that an 11 point victory could be laid at the feet of the reffing.

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
Actually, as usual, the official scorers determined who won the game. Otherwise the box score would have showed that Baylor won. However, easttexastrash, in this game you had as much responsibility for Baylor losing as the official scorers did.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Actually, as usual, the official scorers determined who won the game. Otherwise the box score would have showed that Baylor won. However, easttexastrash, in this game you had as much responsibility for Baylor losing as the official scorers did.

Interesting...let's see the official scorers determine who wins the game when no players show up.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Geno has said in the past that bad calls are a part of every game and that if the team is in the positon of needing a call to win, they probably don't deserve to win.

My wife became irate at some of the calls in the first half and asked me why doesn't Geno protest.
I explained that as terrible as they were, they were relatively evenly distributed.
Nothing much to be gained by throwing a tantrum...
Equal opportunity mal-officiating.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
The referees don't determine who will win. The teams do.

Its kind of embarrassing to UConn basketball when a thread sounds like it came right out of the Summitt.

This is not close to the Summitt. Yes, some people have observed that there were some bad calls. Because there were. But no one is saying the refs almost cost us the game.

Reaction Score
Were there some tough calls against both teams? Yes.
Were some of the fouls on both teams ticky-tacky? Yes.
Did the referees make themselves known today? Yes.
Did the referees call too many fouls in the game? Maybe.

The thing is, the best teams learn how to adjust to how the game is being called. You can't blame the close game on the referees, UConn made plenty of mistakes to allow Baylor to stay close and keep the game competitive. And, Baylor did a lot of things right to cause UConn to struggle and make poor decisions.

I think the team can learn a lot from this game; UConn's offense has been stagnant lately and the team has struggled often. I'm not concerned, I think this team will play through the rough patch and figure it out. This game could pay out dividends in March and April. I think Geno and the other coaches will be very happy with this win and with plenty of examples and game tape for the team to work with for the next three months.

This was a great learning experience for this team, and hopefully a chance for the team and players to get even better.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yes, Nan. You are always willing to point out how welcome I am...to leave. I am sure that those who sponsor this board are particularly pleasaed that an Administrator frequently tells posters that they can leave.
If you want Tom's email address, just let me know and you can ask him yourself.

You like to criticize us a lot - the way we post, our tone, etc. We do it among ourselves, yes, but we squabble like family. You are a visitor.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Ok...I am not an administrator....you can leave whenever you want to.....

You can leave in an RV, you can leave while you pee,
You can leave in a box, you are such a fox,
You can leave right now, or leave with your cow.....
ETT just go home!

Is that better?
Poetic justice?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If you want Tom's email address, just let me know and you can ask him yourself.

You like to criticize us a lot - the way we post, our tone, etc. We do it among ourselves, yes, but we squabble like family. You are a visitor.

That would be nice. You can PM it to me.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Be careful ETT. I had a friend who had a sign by his front door that read "Visitors Are Not Welcome".

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Before you leave, ETT, can you let us know if you are a man or a woman? I could swear that on the Baylor board you identified yourself as a woman. Thanks.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Be careful ETT. I had a friend who had a sign by his front door that read "Visitors Not Are Not Welcome".
One of our doormats says "Go Away" my wife was opposed, but everyone who sees it laughs and loves it.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
when you star players are in foul trouble... normally the refs are to blame.

when your bench is limited and your star player(s) are in foul trouble... normally the refs are to blame.

when its a close game, your star player(s) are in foul trouble AND your bench is limited the refs will be blamed... in a lot of cases.

UConn won

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom