OT: - Let's go living in the past | The Boneyard

OT: Let's go living in the past

Reaction Score
Since the rest of the blue bloods like to talk about the past more than the present I thought it would be a good time to talk about some bball phenomenon that had their day.
Do you have any memories of commercials/products/ trends in pro/college ball that present a snapshot in time?
In a past thread I recall @McLovin bringing this up:
3equ6psj5gu11.jpg

Remember how friggin popular this campaign was?
I was a youngster, granted, but it seemed like, for at least 2 years, LJ was one of the top 5 most popular athletes in sports.

Please make an old man happy and cast your memories to the yard.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Since the rest of the blue bloods like to talk about the past more than the present I thought it would be a good time to talk about some bball phenomenon that had their day.
Do you have any memories of commercials/products/ trends in pro/college ball that present a snapshot in time?
View attachment 100340
I was a youngster, granted, but it seemed like, for at least 2 years, LJ was one of the top 5 most popular athletes in sports.

Senhor's curtain call. Keep looking, you'll see it.

IMG_0082.jpeg

Reaction Score
Somebody please help me out…how can I update this NIKE zip up?

Attachments

• 70456231756__EC16279B-0229-4F1F-BBA8-BEC513AAE87B.jpeg
    70456231756__EC16279B-0229-4F1F-BBA8-BEC513AAE87B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 39
  • 70456238489__24295CE2-0F41-4E2D-9783-0A0FBAA80AE6.jpeg
    70456238489__24295CE2-0F41-4E2D-9783-0A0FBAA80AE6.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 30

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
View attachment 100340

LJ was on a path for a great career until he wrecked his back. His time at UNLV and first few years at Charlotte he was unstoppable. He was just so explosive and strong and he played the game at his speed. His shoulders were massive.

cwh20

Six is good!
Reaction Score
So here are a few blasts from the past.

The Boneyard’s Fire Hydrant Fridays.

Going on The Boneyard while at work. At least in my company you could, then couldn’t, and then could access it again. You had to try every so often if it wasn’t working. I would guess that it kept getting banned for being a non-work site per policy but that some higher-up in the company UConn fan would get it reinstated to be accessible again. And back and forth.

Funniest Boneyard story to me from the past. WashingtonHusky (soon to renamed Dogfather) was coming to CT to find a home. A yarder offered him a place to stay while doing that. Well, his wife that very night starts telling him about how unsafe the internet can be as she’s heard stories about how scammers get gullible people to give them money and worse. We better be careful! So, now he’s dreading telling her he’s invited someone to stay with them a couple of days. Well, who is he? A guy on the’yard. And you’ve met him already? No. What’s his name? WashingtonHusky. You don’t know his real name? I know his first name. He seems like a good guy who just needs somewhere to stay. Too funny.

Along those same lines UConn played Washington in the 1998 Sweet Sixteen. If you’re of age there is no way you don’t remember Freeman playing his heart out to exhaustion and the, “Hamilton!…HAMILTON!!!” call.
You could see tell the Washington fans on the Boneyard before that game (There was a lot more interaction with other team’s visiting fans in those days) were totally puzzled by WashingtonHusky’s opinions and loyalties. Of course he was a UConn fan living in WA and not a west coast Husky fan.
I miss those fan interactions.

Covid masks for basketball coaches. They all pulled them down to talk (really scream and shout) after which they’d pull them back up (most of them anyway) to cover their mouths and noses again. So futile.

And the Boneyard Classic (BYC)!

Reaction Score
I don't miss North Carolina 4 corners 'offense' and the pre-shot clock games of keep away like our Rhody(?) game with Malin/Mullin(?)

I wonder if any player stats are way skewed by having no shots to rebound or assist on in entire games.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
The MJ Jordan 12 commercial where they’re playing in slo mo and you get snippets of the sneaker, then MJ dunks to end it… an all timer.

Also, lil Penny.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom