Lauren Cox to Visit on First Night | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Lauren Cox to Visit on First Night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So it's Carl Adamec who wrote the article in which Cox revealed her final 6 schools and once again it's Carl who wrote the article in which Cox revealed her final 5 and schedule of official visits. I don't think this means anything as far as UConn's chances, but it says a lot about Carl that the family allowed him to break this news rather than going to a local reporter. He's obviously established a trusting relationship with Lauren and her family.

We're very fortunate to have writers like Carl, Jim Fuller, John A, etc., covering UConn.

UCC: and an "Amen" on that.

Seems, though, that JA off his stride/beat lately; is there still a cloud hanging over his head, anybody know?

HGN

Reaction Score
I like that Baylor is the last visit. And that is Homecoming weekend and the stadium and campus will be rocking. Maybe she is coming home.
So ETT , what do you think your chances are being she has visited BU numerous times? Mulkey is a good coach and I give her her props , but she has a large number of bigs committed already.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
DC: right up there with the very best brief posts I've seen in all my years here
no need for a 4 paragraph essay to say "April Parade in Hartford".

no need to be looking like a genius on Womens Basketball

Reaction Score
People tend to not leave their comfort zone. Like minds attract each other. Being on the same USA team as Dangerfield and becoming friends is a plus for UConn. Did they bond? Did not playing and Dangerfield's friendship open her eyes to UConn and what she could become? Very possible. There is nothing that UConn needs to sell as everybody knows Geno and UConn and their amazing accomplishments. UConn is a dynasty and Geno and CD are living legends. There really isn't anything to sell other then the person and player you will be molded into. The family atmosphere, the notoriety, the TV exposure, and the personal growth that will prepare you for you future what ever it may be. At UConn you become a winner on the court and off the court and are built into something that you can be proud of for the rest of your life. Geno is a builder of people both players and coaches. The evidence speaks for itself. If a player doesn't want to play for UConn then they are looking for something else.

Absolutely! But those seeking greatness are far more likely than all the others to leave that comfort zone to fulfill their dreams. Those destined to be great are, in the end, fearless. Diana and Kaleena risked travelling all the way across the country, to an entirely unfamiliar and different place where they knew nobody, in order to achieve personal and team greatness. Moriah did the same. So did Maya (not as far, but just as risky). And for each of them, taking that risk and daring to move far from the comfort and 'safety' of home, family and friends has proven uniquely successful.
[Katie Lou, we shall see]

William Faulkner said: "You cannot swim for new horizons until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore."

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Absolutely! But those seeking greatness are far more likely than all the others to leave that comfort zone to fulfill their dreams. Those destined to be great are, in the end, fearless. Diana and Kaleena risked travelling all the way across the country, to an entirely unfamiliar and different place where they knew nobody, in order to achieve personal and team greatness. Moriah did the same. So did Maya (not as far, but just as risky). And for each of them, taking that risk and daring to move far from the comfort and 'safety' of home, family and friends has proven uniquely successful.

William Faulkner said: "You cannot swim for new horizons until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore."
Winners win and losers lose. Winners will always find a way and do what it takes to win. Losers will always find a way to lose and in many instances feel that when their on the verge of winning they don't deserve it and turn back to their comfort zone. To win and win big you will pay a huge price, you will pay it in advance and there are no guarantees.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score

Winners win and losers lose. Winners will always find a way and do what it takes to win. Losers will always find a way to lose and in many instances feel that when their on the verge of winning they don't deserve it and turn back to their comfort zone. To win and win big you will pay a huge price, you will pay it in advance and there are no guarantees.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Rocking for ISU? That's like Baylor's worst home conference game.

Honestly, I don't think the opponent matters necessarily. She's attended football games at Baylor before. Naturally, having a home football game coincide with the official visit gives the recruit something to do for 3 hours, and allows them to enjoy the pageantry of college football.
That was my thinking. She may well choose Baylor, but it won't be because of the weekend. She's seen about everything Baylor has to offer already. It'll really be comparing what she already knows to everything else. Hence UCONN is last. :D

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I left my computer and came back and couldn't continue my train of thought so let me finish on this note. Lauren Cox from what Ive read has what it takes to be great. Geno and UConn can make her better and a greater player then any other coach and their past post players are their proof. To get better you have to give up what you have and go with those who can make you the best you can be. At UConn surrounded by the players on the UConn roster, and the coaching that has made every post player at UConn better beyond their dreams Lauren can become that player and person if she comes to UConn. The players she will play with at UConn will take the pressure off her and give her the opportunity to showcase her skills and new skills she will learn. Just as Tina Charles, Kiah Stokes Breanna Stewart and Stef Dolsen. Living Proof. Just look at what they've become as players and people. Playing for Geno is a 4 year program of personal growth with basketball greatness attached.

Reaction Score
Absolutely, yes! Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I have to believe UConn has a great shot at Cox. Lauren has seen firsthand with the U19s just what Napheesa and Crystal are capable of doing on the court, and the kind of people they are off the court. And although she didn't get the chance to play with Katie Lou, she has to know that the #1 HS recruit and NPOY must be someone very special, too. At UConn, she will be able to play and grow with this exceptional bunch (and others yet signed) for 3 and 4 years! And that means National ChampionshipS. Factor in the opportunity to learn under the greatest coach in WCBB, who along with CD, Shea and Marisa have the ability to make Lauren as great as she is willing to work to become, and I think the second super Texas-recruit may very well be UConn bound.

Last edited:

HGN

Reaction Score
I left my computer and came back and couldn't continue my train of thought so let me finish on this note. Lauren Cox from what Ive read has what it takes to be great. Geno and UConn can make her better and a greater player then any other coach and their past post players are their proof. To get better you have to give up what you have and go with those who can make you the best you can be. At UConn surrounded by the players on the UConn roster, and the coaching that has made every post player at UConn better beyond their dreams Lauren can become that player and person if she comes to UConn. The players she will play with at UConn will take the pressure off her and give her the opportunity to showcase her skills and new skills she will learn. Just as Tina Charles, Kiah Stokes Breanna Stewart and Stef Dolsen. Living Proof. Just look at what they've become as players and people. Playing for Geno is a 4 year program of personal growth with basketball greatness attached.
TonyC , and to add to your post , no other program in the country can point to a string of successes in the development of post players like UConn. Going all the way back to Rebecca Lobo and to the most recent in Dolson.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Rocking for ISU? That's like Baylor's worst home conference game.

Honestly, I don't think the opponent matters necessarily. She's attended football games at Baylor before. Naturally, having a home football game coincide with the official visit gives the recruit something to do for 3 hours, and allows them to enjoy the pageantry of college football.

Well, there are a few more things going on other than the game and the rest of her family will likely be attending the game with her, so it is a family affair that will allow her to see what it is like to share the college experience with her family. Notice the emphasis on "family," which I understand is very important to Lauren.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
TonyC , and to add to your post , no other program in the country can point to a string of successes in the development of post players like UConn. Going all the way back to Rebecca Lobo and to the most recent in Dolson.
Dolson is the most recent? What about Kiah Stokes? (Check with Bill Laimbeer.) For that matter, what about Gabby Williams?

Regarding Kiah, I think that even if Geno did not harvest the full measure of her potential, and even if Laimbeer may do that, she still benefitted by coming to UConn. Anywhere else she might have gone (including ND, Tennessee, or Baylor), she wouldn't have gotten the television exposure that she got at UConn, even if she were in the starting lineup. The endless commentary by Rebecca, Doris Burke, and others made the whole country aware of the potential that she had, even if none of us were really seeing it on the court.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Well, there are a few more things going on other than the game and the rest of her family will likely be attending the game with her, so it is a family affair that will allow her to see what it is like to share the college experience with her family. Notice the emphasis on "family," which I understand is very important to Lauren.
Pretty sure the entire family will be travelling with her to Notre Dame, and a few, if not all the other official visit destinations.

HGN

Reaction Score
Dolson is the most recent? What about Kiah Stokes? (Check with Bill Laimbeer.) For that matter, what about Gabby Williams?

Regarding Kiah, I think that even if Geno did not harvest the full measure of her potential, and even if Laimbeer may do that, she still benefitted by coming to UConn. Anywhere else she might have gone (including ND, Tennessee, or Baylor), she wouldn't have gotten the television exposure that she got at UConn, even if she were in the starting lineup. The endless commentary by Rebecca, Doris Burke, and others made the whole country aware of the potential that she had, even if none of us were really seeing it on the court.
True......It just goes to show that so many posts are developed at UConn are too many to even remember.

Reaction Score
Philly, there was good interaction between Napheesa and Dangerfield. After one particular victory I saw Napheesa lean over to give Crystal a piggyback ride. Of course Crystal hopped on. I did not see that type of interaction between Cox and anyone in particular.

espnw_dangerfield2_300x300.jpg

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
A point in UCONN's favor, which others pointed out months ago, is Natalie Butler. If Cox comes to UCONN, she knows she's got a legitimate center playing next to her for two years so she, Cox, doesn't have to be the only big.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
A point in UCONN's favor, which others pointed out months ago, is Natalie Butler. If Cox comes to UCONN, she knows she's got a legitimate center playing next to her for two years so she, Cox, doesn't have to be the only big.

Thats a point for ND as well

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I don't see Cox and Butler playing together in a UConn lineup anyway. Got Tuck, Collier, and Samuelson next year, and the latter two the following, not to mention Boykin and even Williams.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Any source that listed Cox as a guard made a mistake. She's not a wing or perimeter player whatsoever.
Perhaps Cox was only referred to as a guard by someone from South Carolina, a la Ms. Wilson? Now Joyner Holmes has an excellent handle for a tall woman.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Last visit can win, as first impressions and last impressions are both more psychologically impactful than intermediate impressions. However, sometimes a recruit makes his/her mind up before a last visit, and the only purpose of the last visit in question is to confirm that his/her decision isn't being swayed.

I am neither speculating nor predicting that this is what will happen with Lauren Cox. Geno, CD, and UConn players, will say what they have to say, and Lauren will either see the overwhelming value or she won't (or at least not as much as another school).

But of course, if routinely contending for national championships, having successful post-collegiate basketball careers, and/or having successful post-collegiate non-basketball careers, appeal to her, then there is only one choice.

Bottom line, high school #1s are hard to come by, but they have very memorable and fulfilling experiences at UConn and after UConn. We all technically count as boosters and can hardly exert any effort to contact recruits and convince them of what I just said. All we can do is sit back, enjoy this upcoming WCBB season, and hope recruits they are duly convinced by what is allowed in the recruiting process.

Doesn't Notre Dame meet your three criteria?

Reaction Score
To get better you have to give up what you have.........

Brilliant Tony!

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Doesn't Notre Dame meet your three criteria?
Honset Boneyard Oversight: please modify first criterion:
"But of course, if routinely contending for and winning national championships, having successful post-collegiate basketball careers, and/or having successful post-collegiate non-basketball careers, appeal to her, then there is only one choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom