Lauren Cox to Visit on First Night | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Lauren Cox to Visit on First Night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"Potential"...most over-used and miss-used word in sports. It means nothing unless it's realized. BTW, how does anyone measure potential?

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
either way, the PROBABILITY of UConn beating South Carolina in any game is the highest of all teams.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Fightin Choke said:
Candace Parker. Obviously, Tennessee players don't get a lot of love here. Kara Lawson and probably Tamika Catchings are the exceptions.

Love Lawson and Catchings!!! And that's it as far as vol players go.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
surprised CP3 isnt respected
I disagree with you - I think most UCONN players would acknowledge that she's a great player - one of the 10 best in the world, and a sure fire starter for Team USA on the Olympic team. Yeah she's that good. But acknowledging her skills and talent is not the same as liking her. I could never root for her on any team she was on, except for when she represents her country. I'm not sure how you define "respecting" a player, but I would think that acknowledging her talent is about as much respect as she would get from most UCONN fans...

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
She could be the sweetest,nicest young lady in the world,but in basketball,respect not only comes by way of exhibiting talent,it also comes from showing the hard work effort,and doing the things needed to make others successful around you.I have had some bosses that I would never associate with on a personal level,but I absolutely respected them,because they had a superior work ethic,and strived to make others around them better and successful.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So it's Carl Adamec who wrote the article in which Cox revealed her final 6 schools and once again it's Carl who wrote the article in which Cox revealed her final 5 and schedule of official visits. I don't think this means anything as far as UConn's chances, but it says a lot about Carl that the family allowed him to break this news rather than going to a local reporter. He's obviously established a trusting relationship with Lauren and her family.
We're very fortunate to have writers like Carl, Jim Fuller, John A, etc., covering UConn.
Given Carl's latest posting http://snyuconn.com/uconn/traveling-call-cox-ready-to-start-official-visits/
UConnCat's prior posting bears repeating especially the bolded parts.

Reaction Score
I keep on hearing that Nd is the clear favorite for Cox with Baylor second and Louisville third, but does anyone really have solid information on where she is actually going?

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
I keep on hearing that Nd is the clear favorite for Cox with Baylor second and Louisville third, but does anyone really have solid information on where she is actually going?

I know that her mother really wants a high caliber academic school, and yes, I've heard from several people (some in national recruiting) that ND has lead for a long time for her. Her father is more into the basketball aspect, since that is what she will be doing while at the school she chooses.

I haven't heard Louisville being mentioned a lot, and I'm not just saying this as a Tennessee fan, I haven't heard UConn mentioned a lot either. I have heard Baylor and Tennessee mentioned a little bit, but the majority has been ND.

Reaction Score
I know that her mother really wants a high caliber academic school, and yes, I've heard from several people (some in national recruiting) that ND has lead for a long time for her. Her father is more into the basketball aspect, since that is what she will be doing while at the school she chooses.

I haven't heard Louisville being mentioned a lot, and I'm not just saying this as a Tennessee fan, I haven't heard UConn mentioned a lot either. I have heard Baylor and Tennessee mentioned a little bit, but the majority has been ND.

The last time UCONN went after the #1 recruit, who was also a dedicated volleyball player and had locality concerns (EDD), it didn't work out well. Be happy with Crystal. From what I've seen this summer, she's the real deal. Besides, Miss Muffet needs quality players to ensure her team's place in the Championship Game. Second place is better than everyone else...except First, of course. BTW, these player rankings just don't mean much. After all, Heather Buck, who was always fun to watch high-fiveing the bench after a 3, was ranked #31 out of high school. Anyone believe she's was the 31st best player in the country?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Hopefully that is what is pushing her to Connecticut.Between Staley not giving her more minutes and all the bigs SC have could be the reason they were dropped from her list and she has that competitive fire to say you made a big mistake and wants to beat coach Staley.The only place that will help her achieve that goal is UConn and the Huskies by 20 Feb.8.Hopefully she sees what CD and MM do for the bigs and they will tap every bit of her ability just as long as she wants to put the effort in.Connecticut will maximize her potential and help her be successful in whatever she pursues.HGN you are dead on about the bigs at Baylor and the same with a couple others on her list.
Of Cox's remaining schools both Lady Vol's & ND have recent wins over South Carolina. Lady Vol's beat South Carolina in South Carolina by 20 on 1/03/13. I hope Cox is not thinking "where can I give Dawn the most trouble", because as a Lady Vols she will likely get 2 chances per year vs 1 at UCONN.

Reaction Score
Academics and Louisville in the same sentence?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The last time UCONN went after the #1 recruit, who was also a dedicated volleyball player and had locality concerns (EDD), it didn't work out well. Be happy with Crystal. From what I've seen this summer, she's the real deal. Besides, Miss Muffet needs quality players to ensure her team's place in the Championship Game. Second place is better than everyone else...except First, of course. BTW, these player rankings just don't mean much. After all, Heather Buck, who was always fun to watch high-fiveing the bench after a 3, was ranked #31 out of high school. Anyone believe she's was the 31st best player in the country?

Who says Cox has locality concerns? It's amazing this rumor is so persistent despite public comments to the contrary and 4 of her 5 finalists being well away from Texas.

UConn just won 3 straight titles behind #1 KML, #1 Stewart, and #2 Jefferson and yet I often read about how wrong the rankings are. Very odd.

Obviously there will be plenty of players that the rankings overrate or underrate but broadly, I think they do a good job, especially at the top. Players ranked as highly as Cox don't flop in college.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

EDD was NOT a "dedicated volleyball player". There was simply no time for it, from the age of 12 ( AAU nationals Championships) until 18 she was dedicated to basketball and one of the reasons for her burning out.

Contrast that with this quote from a recent ESPN Article on Cox " It also helps that Cox plays volleyball in the fall so she doesn't get burned out from specializing in one sport."
http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-comme...hy-one-coach-want-no-1-junior-lauren-cox-team

We are very glad to have Crystal-despite her lofty ranking of number # 3 which according to you-"these player rankings just don't mean much".

Cox signing with ND might be what propels ND out of second place if you consider a post Stewie WCBB world and ND with a front line of Cox, Turner, Reimer, Boley, WestBeld.

Yes I believe Heather Buck was rated the 31st best player coming into college in 2008, not because you told me, but because I looked it up. There were plenty of people on the list rated above her that did not make out as well as she did. An just so we are not going in circles:

"Obviously there will be plenty of players that the rankings overrate or underrate but broadly, I think they do a good job, especially at the top. Players ranked as highly as Cox don't flop in college."
Orangutan
31 August 2015

Reaction Score
Who says Cox has locality concerns? It's amazing this rumor is so persistent despite public comments to the contrary and 4 of her 5 finalists being well away from Texas.

UConn just won 3 straight titles behind #1 KML, #1 Stewart, and #2 Jefferson and yet I often read about how wrong the rankings are. Very odd.

Obviously there will be plenty of players that the rankings overrate or underrate but broadly, I think they do a good job, especially at the top. Players ranked as highly as Cox don't flop in college.

Common denominator for KML, Stewart and Jefferson....hmmmmm...spend some time to think about it. Give you a hint: involves really good coaching.

BTW, who said anything about "flopping"? Top recruit for 2013?? How about 2014?? Some play well...some don't.

As far as locality, might help to look at a map. 3 of the 4 outside of TX is within a long, one-day drive. The other...1700 miles, Baby. Who knows what a 17 year old girl wants. BTW, I'm pretty sure what a 17 year old boy wants.

Reaction Score
EDD was NOT a "dedicated volleyball player". There was simply no time for it, from the age of 12 ( AAU nationals Championships) until 18 she was dedicated to basketball and one of the reasons for her burning out.

Contrast that with this quote from a recent ESPN Article on Cox " It also helps that Cox plays volleyball in the fall so she doesn't get burned out from specializing in one sport."
http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-comme...hy-one-coach-want-no-1-junior-lauren-cox-team

We are very glad to have Crystal-despite her lofty ranking of number # 3 which according to you-"these player rankings just don't mean much".

Cox signing with ND might be what propels ND out of second place if you consider a post Stewie WCBB world and ND with a front line of Cox, Turner, Reimer, Boley, WestBeld.

Yes I believe Heather Buck was rated the 31st best player coming into college in 2008, not because you told me, but because I looked it up. There were plenty of people on the list rated above her that did not make out as well as she did. An just so we are not going in circles:

"Obviously there will be plenty of players that the rankings overrate or underrate but broadly, I think they do a good job, especially at the top. Players ranked as highly as Cox don't flop in college."
Orangutan
31 August 2015

Really...seems like EDD played volleyball exclusively her freshman year. Feel free to look it up.

Rankings don't mean much. Crystal is a good high school player...weather she's ranked 3rd or 33rd or 333rd. It's all hype until they show up and play.

BTW, Reimer, Boley and Westbeld? You afraid of that...scared to fall asleep? Turner is a good player.

Reaction Score

Really...seems like EDD played volleyball exclusively her freshman year. Feel free to look it up.

The comment was that she didn't play VB in HS, which one would expect from a dedicated player. She played a year at Delaware because she couldn't play basketball. That's not what I would call a dedicated VB player.

BTW, Reimer, Boley and Westbeld? You afraid of that...scared to fall asleep? Turner is a good player.

Right. In the first place it isn't a question of some fans being afraid. But a front line of Turner, Cox, and Reimer with Boley and Westbeld coming off the bench would be formidable.

And do you honestly think that her parents would drive to South Bend? A long one-day drive? LOL.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Common denominator for KML, Stewart and Jefferson....hmmmmm...spend some time to think about it. Give you a hint: involves really good coaching.

BTW, who said anything about "flopping"? Top recruit for 2013?? How about 2014?? Some play well...some don't.

As far as locality, might help to look at a map. 3 of the 4 outside of TX is within a long, one-day drive. The other...1700 miles, Baby. Who knows what a 17 year old girl wants. BTW, I'm pretty sure what a 17 year old boy wants.

Look if you want to flatter Geno and imply that he shaped those three into great players out of nothing, I can't help it.

Other top ranked recruits such as A. Wilson, B. Turner, and Deshields have done okay without his tutelage, so I feel confident saying Stewart would still have been terrific had she gone elsewhere.

As for location, if being within a 16 hr drive of home satisfies her supposed location concerns, they are hardly comparable to those of EDD.

Also, it's pretty funny that you are already downplaying the potential impact of Boley before her senior year of HS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom