Lauren Cox to Visit on First Night | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Lauren Cox to Visit on First Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
True. I know a few people who only use the phone to communicate because they're embarrassed about their ability to write a proper sentence. Your writing does say things about you. Is that fair? I suppose that judging takes place all of the time and in many different ways. Can't be stopped, but how it's commented upon, if at all, is within our power. I always ask myself, "What would Geno say?"
But the mods don't really like us using a lot of that $%&*, #@$%!@#, *&%@#! language.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
But the mods don't really like us using a lot of that $%&*, #@$%!@#, *&%@#! language.

Beat me to, two, too it.

My thought regarding grammar on a message board - it's a friggen' basketball message board. The only thing that should matter is comprehension. Can the post be understood. Misplaced punctuation or misspelled words have zero relevance. UConn will still win the NC despite our grammatical shortcomings.

If you have an uncontrollable urge to correct someone's grammar just have a glass of wine and relax. Too often it comes across as elitist snobbism. I am sure that some posters are either embarrassed or pissed whenever somebody points out that they used "there" when "their" was the correct word.

Reaction Score
Beat me to, two, too it.

My thought regarding grammar on a message board - it's a friggen' basketball message board. The only thing that should matter is comprehension. Can the post be understood. Misplaced punctuation or misspelled words have zero relevance. UConn will still win the NC despite our grammatical shortcomings.

If you have an uncontrollable urge to correct someone's grammar just have a glass of wine and relax. Too often it comes across as elitist snobbism. I am sure that some posters are either embarrassed or pissed whenever somebody points out that they used "there" when "their" was the correct word.
A lot of the time you can thank auto-correct for it.

Reaction Score
Beat me to, two, too it.

I agree. This is not the place to be giving grammar and punctuation lessons. I don't believe that anyone comes here for that purpose (hope not). But the subject frequently pops up, and sometimes gets a response. No one likes to be criticized in general. A lot of the criticism comes from a desire to denigrate people with whom we disagree. I suppose we could all take a pledge NOT to respond to such issues, but I suspect it will be in vain.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
There are many on here who do spell correctly, use proper grammar and punctuation, but I still can't understand anything they say. ;)

I agree except I think we should make a concerted effort to spell the players names correctly. Shows a level of respect.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
There are many on here who do spell correctly, use proper grammar and punctuation, but I still can't understand anything they say. ;)

I agree except I think we should make a concerted effort to spell the players names correctly. Shows a level of respect.
completely agree. If someone wants our grammar corrections, they will ask us. Otherwise assume they don't want to hear that. Same as I tell my teenager about people interjecting and sticking their nose into someone else's business and sharing opinions about others' clothing, views, etc.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
completely agree. If someone wants our grammar corrections, they will ask us. Otherwise assume they don't want to hear that. Same as I tell my teenager about people interjecting and sticking their nose into someone else's business and sharing opinions about others' clothing, views, etc.
Oh, well, I do that all the time, but only behind people's backs. :cool:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
People make judgements all the time about others - visually, in voice communications, and in written communications. The cloths, accent, vocabulary, etc. Some of those judgements are negative, some positive, some expressed and some kept to ourselves.
I personally like well reasoned and articulate posts. I find run-on sentences, run-on paragraphs, and poorly worded posts difficult to understand. And I find spelling mistakes in names of players to be annoying, as I find people who get my name wrong annoying - I think of it as a matter of respect, especially with Uconn players to get the names right.
I have found some of the discussions on word usage during this down time to be quite enjoyable, but I can also see how some people might find corrections to be annoying, just the way I find some post's that are poorly written to be annoying. (Not even touching on the content of some posts that are so obviously misguided as to disagree with my brilliant analysis!!!:eek::rolleyes::cool:)
And I can see how some of the corrections might intimidate potential posters, which would be too bad.

FYI - I think I scared the heck out of a jogger this morning as I came walking out of the woods in sweats with the hood up, unshaven, with slippers, pre morning coffee as I walked to my mailbox! I said good morning and they went into a sprint!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I try to listen to what someone is saying, not how they are saying it. I am guessing that there are a lot brilliant people who have horrible grammar and spelling, and a lot of really ignorant people that know how a sentence should be constructed and are good at using spell check. I make every effort to construct a good sentence and paragraph with correct spelling and punctuation, but it doesn't always work out that way.

On this board the spelling of UCONN players names is important and I try to never mess that up. I like nicknames like KML and KLS. Baylor has a player named Justis Szczepanski. I am pretty sure that I am going with Justis (not Justice) on that one.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I try to listen to what someone is saying, not how they are saying it. I am guessing that there are a lot brilliant people who have horrible grammar and spelling, and a lot of really ignorant people that know how a sentence should be constructed and are good at using spell check. I make every effort to construct a good sentence and paragraph with correct spelling and punctuation, but it doesn't always work out that way.

On this board the spelling of UCONN players names is important and I try to never mess that up. I like nicknames like KML and KLS. Baylor has a player named Justis Szczepanski. I am pretty sure that I am going with Justis (not Justice) on that one.

I'm with you. While we cherish our board's idiosyncrasies this spelling and grammar thing has tried my patience of late. Particularly when the little pedantic lesson runs for 10 -11 posts in a row. What the heck were we talking about before someone dropped a comma??? Maybe those endlessly fascinated by the common and not so common usage of the English language could follow the Cardinal's lead and have a daily quiz thread that would satisfy their lust for spelling, malapropisms, dangling this and thats and such.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I think grammar does count for something.
What's wrong with getting it right?
There are times when I'm not sure I'm making the right choice, so I look it up.
Unfortunately, fewer and fewer people care about language overall. (It's not less and less.)
My son has been in our school system for 11 years and I am still waiting to receive an email, flyer or newsletter without obvious errors.
It's so much easier not to care.
Okay, sometimes the corrections go overboard in here, but it's good-natured ribbing and never mean spirited. By the way, I'm not sure if I should hyphenate mean spirited. Does it stand on its own or is it another adjective modifying ribbing? I choose to go with standing alone.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
There are times when I'm not sure I'm making the right choice, so I look it up.

Hey, Fairview I do too. But, let's pretend you and I are among 5-6 having a chat at a cocktail party, when one of our number interrupts to say: "You used the wrong tense in that remark." That's just being a rude bag. No different here.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Grammar. I think on a chat board who cares (although I have to say, it's "would have" or "could have" not "would of" or "could of." But I've published books and become friendly with other authors. One woman, a terrific person, wrote a moving memoir that contained the same grammatical mistake over and over again and it was kind of distracting that the editing process didn't pick it up. She pretty much never used the word "me", it was always "I" even when it should've been "me." We correspond a fair amount but, me be damned if me corrected her. My wife is an English and literacy teacher and is always spotting mistakes on menus and advertising that either put in an apostrophe when the word was supposed to be a plural, not a possessive, and vice versa when there should've been an apostrophe. But if you ever write a very long piece (or a short one for that matter) don't use grammar check. It's truly more annoying than correcting grammar on the BY.

Reaction Score
I agree. This is not the place to be giving grammar and punctuation lessons. I don't believe that anyone comes here for that purpose (hope not). But the subject frequently pops up, and sometimes gets a response. No one likes to be criticized in general. A lot of the criticism comes from a desire to denigrate people with whom we disagree. I suppose we could all take a pledge NOT to respond to such issues, but I suspect it will be in vain.

The manner in which a person speaks or writes actually does reflect on the speaker/writer. For example, I believe that Barak Obama's skill as a speaker went a long way towards his elections. It made him appear intelligent and thoughtful. Most consider communication skill the number one quality in the hiring process (for a good job). Would you hire someone to do responsible work who had "horrible grammar and spelling"? There is also a certain pleasure in understanding how language works and in having sufficient vocabulary to say/write what you mean. I take particular pride in the way most Husky women present themselves in public, and we all know that Geno does, too.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I worked with a manager who spelled the word "stolen" as "stolden" numerous times in a document that she intended to distribute. I let her know that she had spelled it wrong through her document and she never liked me from that point forward.

I also had a very good friend who asked me to review a document she was also going to distribute. It was littered with errors. I was young and dumb and corrected each and every error with a red ink pen. She was furious and didn't speak to me for a few weeks. But I just couldn't let her send out that document as the audience was upper management and I felt that it would make her look bad in their eyes.

So, from now on, I do not correct anyone's grammar or spelling. I may ask for clarification if the error makes the writing difficult to interpret or is ambiguous, but I do not correct anyone.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The manner in which a person speaks or writes actually does reflect on the speaker/writer. For example, I believe that Barak Obama's skill as a speaker went a long way towards his elections. It made him appear intelligent and thoughtful. Most consider communication skill the number one quality in the hiring process (for a good job). Would you hire someone to do responsible work who had "horrible grammar and spelling"? There is also a certain pleasure in understanding how language works and in having sufficient vocabulary to say/write what you mean. I take particular pride in the way most Husky women present themselves in public, and we all know that Geno does, too.

If that is what you are looking for on message boards you will be very disappointed.

Reaction Score
If that is what you are looking for on message boards you will be very disappointed.

You missed my point, Trash. My bad. I was replying to the folks who minimized the importance of good communication skills. These boards are very interesting, and I enjoy the back and forth--even if everything isn't about bb.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Mark Twain:

"The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug."

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
'What the heck were we talking about before someone dropped a comma???"

I think this board has always been that way. Actually, it may have been worse a few years back.
My problem, as one of the semi illiterate, is trying to figure out why people feel the need to publicly correct, and probably embarrass other posters over something so insignificant. My conclusion - for some it's a need to feel superior.

It ain't English 101 folks! It's just basketball.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Mark Twain:

"The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug."
Just my opinion but Twain's quote is not an especially good example since lightning bug is not a word - it's two words. A better example would be right - the direction and right - correct. "Turn at the next corner." "Left?" "Right!"

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Mark Twain:

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.
- Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

lightning3.jpg

While we are working on being correct, Kib. Not the shocking "&" !

Oops, I misspelled Note!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Mark Twain:

Seems to fit with another one of his:

Eloquence is the essential thing in a speech, not information.

Say it well and you can say anything. Nothing to fear from them thar Tennessee folk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom