Lauren Betts in the Portal | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Lauren Betts in the Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Some moms want their daughters to be coached by women. And some women coaches have voiced their opinions about the dominance of men coaches — they’d prefer female student athletes be coached by women. But at the same time, these women coaches, have applauded (rightfully so) women occupying executive positions in male dominated sports.

PS: This is a hot topic, so that’s all I’m going to say on the matter.
Noted and understood. :cool: No argument whatsoever with your comment.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure that Betts fits into ND’s offense that well. They really like to play fast and score quickly in transition. Maybe she’ll like that though, who knows?

Carnac

Reaction Score
I have always been leery of recruiting over players already on the roster, so I generally concur with your assessment. But I would make an exception for Betts. I watched the highlights of Betts in a game when Brink was either out or in foul trouble. She is better than Cardoso right now and has the potential to be better than Brink.

I have to believe UConn has contacted Betts. If she is interested, I would set up a visit ASAP. As we learned from SC, there are no assurances in WBB anymore. But if UConn were to add Betts to an already loaded roster, the Huskies would be overwhelming favorites to win the championship for the next 3 seasons.
As I stated earlier, I know very little of Betts and bow to your knowledge and opinion of her. :cool: As a seer, I'm drawing a blank on this one. :eek:

Carnac

Reaction Score
She is not following back
Well....................at 6'7", there's not a whole of programs that won't be interested in her services. She'll pretty much have her pick of where she wants to go. I imagine it will be somewhere that she has a promise or "guarantee" of either starting or playing at least 20 minutes a game. While Geno does not make promises or guarantees (NIL), other coaches do, especially to highly coveted recruits. ;)

Carnac

Reaction Score
UConn getting a transfer from Stamford (or ND)? Color me opaque.

We did land “Mom” though.
Yeah, and that was a great move for both parties. :D It wasn't in the cards, but I wish she would have come here as a freshman.

Reaction Score
Change the names in this post to DORKA rather than EBO and finish with Aaliyah, Caroline, Azzi, and Paige and the
bench of NIka, Aubrey, Amari, ICE, Yanna, Ines, KK, Ashlynn, Quadance, and Jana .... and the
result is NOT JUST a "very strong" title contender. IMO. There may be more than one " perfect fit" ???? for Lauren.

Reaction Score
IMO, yes she could. DeBerry wouldn't be a consideration. El Alfy has a lot of development to do. She has almost no experience playing against size, especially skilled size and she needs to learn positioning and how to use her body on both ends. And she has a sizable adjustment to the speed of WCBB to make. For me, the best approach for a 4 man rotation would be Betts with Edwards matching her size with Edwards' flexibility in and out. Brady could play with either as first off the bench and El Alfy getting less PT while she develops for a season. Obviously game situations would determine the minutes allotment. Then if Edwards leaves after the season, there's a 3 man experienced and fully ready to go.
A four big rotation as you have outlined could work very well, and in fact have terrific insurance behind them, and I am not including Amari in that. Ice and Jana are not just competing with a potential Betts for playing time, but also with Aubrey and Ayanna. Ayanna since she had a somewhat disappointing first year, could be beaten out by Ice or Jana for backup minutes at the 4. Remember those two can get minutes at the 4 or the 5. An even bigger threat to their opportunity there, however, could be Aubrey. She played mostly on the wing this year due to injuries, but was a star backup 4 her first two years, and remember how she came to the rescue there when Aaliyah was in foul trouble.

Geno could just go with Aaliyah and Aubrey at the 4 and we would be very good there without having to even consider Ice, Jana, Ayanna, or even Caroline at the 4. Now Aubrey will be needed some on the wing too, but probably could cover all of Edward's limited backup minutes and still be available to help there some as well. So there is a pretty high hurdle rate for anyone striving for minutes at the 4, because Aubrey will be available there.

So if Betts would be likely to start (my belief) then Ice and Jana would likely be competing for the backup minutes there, with probably the best of the two getting those minutes, and the other getting mop up and injury related minutes and possibly some but not many at the 4.

Reaction Score
Just following out someone else's thought: if Betts want not just more pt but also a ring, right now the best bet to get it is UConn. But she'll just be one star among many, and Paige will be in the ascendant on that team. Is there a team where she can reasonably expect to have a chance at an NC and where she'll be the obvious star? UCLA looks like an obvious pick from this perspective, maybe ND.
Agree with best chance for a ring here and just being one of many stars. Those criteria, the NIL possibilities and others are part of the mix, but one common factor among the schools that seem to be mentioned the most is a great point guard. I hear Iowa, Notre Dame and UCLA as favorite predictions for her destination and maybe us, but they all have great point guards, so getting the ball into the post should be easy at any of those schools.

In addition to that perimeter shooters to spread the floor I would think would be a factor as well, and we stack up pretty well there.

Reaction Score
If we did secure Betts, I would think a rotation of post players like we do with the guards is not a bad thing. Aaliyah, Betts, Ice, and Jana would be a formidable front line. I don't think Amari would enter into the picture as she has had 2 years to prove herself and obviously, she has not. Ice is a redshirt freshman, so she has 4 full years of availability, the same as Jana. After Aaliyah graduates next year, that would leave the other 3. Not bad for 2 more years. The point is, if we can get Betts we won't have to worry about getting post players for 2 years, and the chemistry with Betts, Ice, and Jana will be in full swing. If she can accept her role as a rotating player, this would be a big win for the program going forward.
Let’s all calm down and take a deep breath. We had a great team before Betts announced she was entering the portal. No question she will make us better but it will be weeks maybe even a couple of months before she announces. In the meantime let’s focus on what we have. There are still recruits out there who can certainly help us.

Reaction Score
IMO, there is no way Betts ends up at UConn. Geno doesn’t spend a moment of time considering players who have parents that insert themselves into the equation.
Didn't he take Evina Westbrook? Who's mom wasn't shy on Social Media regarding TN?

Reaction Score
If Geno were ever to use the word understudy, you could kiss her goodbye.You have them practice and see who’s better that person plays. Deberry has not lived up to her number five ranking. We still don’t know what we have with Brady. At least with Betts there’s tape to see how she is as a player in the college setting. She was once recruited by Geno so I’m sure he saw something in her to begin with. She is a true center, and the only competition would be De berry whereas all the rest of the bigs can be three or fours Edwards is truly a four not a five that would be where the conflict comes in, but she does play the five well. Fair Opportunity for playing time, and Gino needs to get better at subbing. If you look at South Carolina, no one had big minutes she was able to sub a lot.
I thought DeBerry was ranked 15?

Reaction Score
A four big rotation as you have outlined could work very well, and in fact have terrific insurance behind them, and I am not including Amari in that. Ice and Jana are not just competing with a potential Betts for playing time, but also with Aubrey and Ayanna. Ayanna since she had a somewhat disappointing first year, could be beaten out by Ice or Jana for backup minutes at the 4. Remember those two can get minutes at the 4 or the 5. An even bigger threat to their opportunity there, however, could be Aubrey. She played mostly on the wing this year due to injuries, but was a star backup 4 her first two years, and remember how she came to the rescue there when Aaliyah was in foul trouble.

Geno could just go with Aaliyah and Aubrey at the 4 and we would be very good there without having to even consider Ice, Jana, Ayanna, or even Caroline at the 4. Now Aubrey will be needed some on the wing too, but probably could cover all of Edward's limited backup minutes and still be available to help there some as well. So there is a pretty high hurdle rate for anyone striving for minutes at the 4, because Aubrey will be available there.

So if Betts would be likely to start (my belief) then Ice and Jana would likely be competing for the backup minutes there, with probably the best of the two getting those minutes, and the other getting mop up and injury related minutes and possibly some but not many at the 4.
I see where you’re coming from and don’t really disagree with most of it though I haven’t thought about it quite that deeply. I just want at least 3 studs rotating through those 2 post positions. One difference of preference is that I’m not as interested in playing Griffin inside as maybe you are. I don’t pretend to know how Auriemma views it all but my simple thinking is, put as much hungry, competitive talent as possible on the practice floor and let them compete to earn their spots to execute my game plans. That competition will raise most kid’s games and others not so much. The best 8-9 will probably determine how the season goes and then we’ll do it again next year with whoever is available.

Reaction Score
If I had a choice, I would take Brink(if she is in the portal) otherwise Betts, because like Geno says: you can't teach height.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom