Lauren Betts in the Portal | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Lauren Betts in the Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
10 minutes per game is the equivalent of a full quarter. Not bad for judging. Here is my question; all that exposure did not earn her more playing time. And none ( that I saw) at crunch time. So, she may have underwhelmed the coaches. Who knows?

she's from Colorado...
But if she comes here I might get a Rocky Mountain High!

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
If Betts picks UCONN it'd put UCONN in a somewhat unprecedented territory, as they will have nabbed 5 of the last 6 #1 recruits (2017: Walker, 2018: Williams, 2020: Bueckers, 2021: Fudd, 2022: Betts)

I think Betts best destinations to take on a big role and play for a title contender would be UCONN, Notre Dame, Iowa or UCLA. All of those programs could use a center and have 4 of the best PGs in the country (Bueckers, Miles, Clark, Rice).
You mention on a regular basis how many #1 recruits UConn gets, in this context for a player we are unlikely to get. It’s obviously on your mind.

Of the two possible reasons I can think why, one has to do with the greediness of it. I agree, it is greedy, but also the way recruiting works.

The other possible reason is an inference that our success should be taken with a grain of salt or, conversely, our lack of success reveals a coaching fail. There was a period when Tennessee was regularly bringing in #1 recruiting classes (not same as #1 overall), yet not reaping commensurate success. I find a parallel in that they were bringing in quantities of similar players at the time, just as we went through a string of #1s with overlapping skills and position, while at the same time failing to recruit posts of a needed size and skill set.

We are starting to get such post players again now, though our most recent problem is #1s that are injured. My point is that by bringing this up on a regular basis you are providing under nuanced fodder for that portion of our fanbase, like every fanbase, that is incurably pessimistic and unduly certain of the coaching ailments that afflict UConn.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'll tell you in 20 minutes that it's probably 20 minutes.
To be quite honest, I have no idea if UConn has any interest in Betts, or how she would fit in if she were brought in. We might have something in Ice Brady and Jana El Alfy. I can’t get excited about bringing in another post player until I’ve seen these two in at least 5 games.

They might have already shown the coaching staff enough in practice the last month to make them comfortable with the idea of going with them and DeBerry at the 5 for next year. I’m thinking one of them has to hit.

As a coach, do you recruit over your two post players that have not had a chance to play and show what they can do in a game yet? We can’t afford to lose any of our post players.

The question I would ask is right now, if Betts were brought in, is she better than DeBerry, Brady and El Alfy and could start game 1 in November?

Last edited:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
If we did secure Betts, I would think a rotation of post players like we do with the guards is not a bad thing. Aaliyah, Betts, Ice, and Jana would be a formidable front line. I don't think Amari would enter into the picture as she has had 2 years to prove herself and obviously, she has not. Ice is a redshirt freshman, so she has 4 full years of availability, the same as Jana. After Aaliyah graduates next year, that would leave the other 3. Not bad for 2 more years. The point is, if we can get Betts we won't have to worry about getting post players for 2 years, and the chemistry with Betts, Ice, and Jana will be in full swing. If she can accept her role as a rotating player, this would be a big win for the program going forward.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
To be quite honest, I have no idea if UConn has any interest in Betts, or how she would fit in if she were brought in. We might have something in Ice Brady and Jana El Alfy.

They might have already shown the coaching staff enough in practice the last month to make them comfortable with the idea of going with them and DeBerry at the 5 for next year. I’m thinking one of them has to hit.

As a coach, do you recruit over your two post players that have not had a chance to play and show what they can do in a game yet? We can’t afford to lose any of our post players.
I have always been leery of recruiting over players already on the roster, so I generally concur with your assessment. But I would make an exception for Betts. I watched the highlights of Betts in a game when Brink was either out or in foul trouble. She is better than Cardoso right now and has the potential to be better than Brink.

I have to believe UConn has contacted Betts. If she is interested, I would set up a visit ASAP. As we learned from SC, there are no assurances in WBB anymore. But if UConn were to add Betts to an already loaded roster, the Huskies would be overwhelming favorites to win the championship for the next 3 seasons.

Reaction Score
To be quite honest, I have no idea if UConn has any interest in Betts, or how she would fit in if she were brought in. We might have something in Ice Brady and Jana El Alfy. I can’t get excited about bringing in another post player until I’ve seen these two in at least 5 games.

The question I would ask is right now, if Betts were brought in, is she better than DeBerry, Brady and El Alfy and could start game 1 in November?
IMO, yes she could. DeBerry wouldn't be a consideration. El Alfy has a lot of development to do. She has almost no experience playing against size, especially skilled size and she needs to learn positioning and how to use her body on both ends. And she has a sizable adjustment to the speed of WCBB to make. For me, the best approach for a 4 man rotation would be Betts with Edwards matching her size with Edwards' flexibility in and out. Brady could play with either as first off the bench and El Alfy getting less PT while she develops for a season. Obviously game situations would determine the minutes allotment. Then if Edwards leaves after the season, there's a 3 man experienced and fully ready to go.

Reaction Score
I have always been leery of recruiting over players already on the roster, so I generally concur with your assessment. But I would make an exception for Betts. I watched the highlights of Betts in a game when Brink was either out or in foul trouble. She is better than Cardoso right now and has the potential to be better than Brink.

I have to believe UConn has contacted Betts. If she is interested, I would set up a visit ASAP. As we learned from SC, there are no assurances in WBB anymore. But if UConn were to add Betts to an already loaded roster, the Huskies would be overwhelming favorites to win the championship for the next 3 seasons.
I’m also leery of adding transfers over recruits. It’s bound to be felt as a sort of betrayal. But especially with someone who still has 3 years of eligibility. Would Jana have come if Betts were already here? She’s the one who matters, the one we’re all worried about.

Ice and Ayanna won’t be eclipsed for three years by Betts’s presence on the roster. But Jana will be. Of course, we can play twin towers part of the time. But one of them will take a back seat most of the time. The positive is that Betts is essentially a low post player, while Jana seems to prefer the high post. We know Geno can make that work.

I’ve watched a few of Betts’s games at Stanford, and the FIBA games when she played with Ice. I don’t agree that she’s as good as Cardoso now. I don’t think she’s even as well developed a scorer and rebounder as Cardoso was as a freshman, though this comparison is closer. Their activity levels as freshman were similar. I suspect Betts will develop along a similar curve and be as imposing as Cardoso at each stage.

Comparing her to Ice is perhaps more revealing. They’re not similar, and Betts is a much more imposing presence in the paint. But Ice was a better scorer, ran the court better and was simply more active as a rebounder and defender. I doubt Ice will outrebound Betts over the long haul. But she gets to a lot of balls and has a quick outlet pass. She can even handle the ball a bit. I would want Betts dribbling the ball as little as possible.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
So, calling on Stanford fans - what did you see this past season with Betts' production, development, etc, that showed a marked difference from her HS years? That's what I'd be interested in knowing - her growth this past year.

Her finalists were ASU, Baylor, UCLA, UConn, L'ville, ND, OR, S Carolina.

WEB (I know, I know) twitter has a poll listing AZ, CO, SC, LSU, UConn, UCLA
Hopefully this won't sound like sour grapes. Obviously, this is really disappointing news, and I feel like we were only starting to see Betts's potential during a good stretch in February before she (and her playing time) receded in March.

That said, watching her felt like listening to a podcast at .75 speed. It always felt like she was slow down the court, slow to get in position, slow to find the rebound, etc. Her touch is actually shockingly good for someone 6'7", as is her body positioning - again, for someone 6'7", she rarely had much foul trouble. She also had a bad tendency to dribble off a rebound, which led to a number of steals. I think she'd do best at a program that either runs the triangle or a lot of high-low action, because she doesn't really have a lot of mobility, and she would be wasted on teams that press or try to get out in transition.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Hopefully this won't sound like sour grapes. Obviously, this is really disappointing news, and I feel like we were only starting to see Betts's potential during a good stretch in February before she (and her playing time) receded in March.

That said, watching her felt like listening to a podcast at .75 speed. It always felt like she was slow down the court, slow to get in position, slow to find the rebound, etc. Her touch is actually shockingly good for someone 6'7", as is her body positioning - again, for someone 6'7", she rarely had much foul trouble. She also had a bad tendency to dribble off a rebound, which led to a number of steals. I think she'd do best at a program that either runs the triangle or a lot of high-low action, because she doesn't really have a lot of mobility, and she would be wasted on teams that press or try to get out in transition.
It takes awhile for a BIg to get used to running the court hard. Cardoso improved significantly this year as a junior after 2 seasons when she appeared to “lumber” up the court. Part of that is conditioning and the other part is intensity and focus.

I am curious though. As someone who closely follows Stanford WBB, do you have any insights into Betts decision to transfer? Was it just about PT, or is there something else going on?

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
It takes awhile for a BIg to get used to running the court hard. Cardoso improved significantly this year as a junior after 2 seasons when she appeared to “lumber” up the court. Part of that is conditioning and the other part is intensity and focus.

I am curious though. As someone who closely follows Stanford WBB, do you have any insights into Betts decision to transfer? Was it just about PT, or is there something else going on?
We're pretty sure her mom is posting on our fan board -posting other posters, and it seems like a lot of it had to do with lack of playing time and the apparent perception the same thing would be true next season. I also wouldn't be surprised if Mama Betts wants her daughter in a program where they want to make her more a star and where her NIL value can be maximized ASAP.

All that said, the last time we had a parent -posting other posters on our fan board, it was Lili Thompson's parent, and I guess I wasn't sad to lose that kind of toxic energy, so even though this is a huge hit for our program, maybe it's for the best for everyone in the end.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’m also leery of adding transfers over recruits. It’s bound to be felt as a sort of betrayal. But especially with someone who still has 3 years of eligibility. Would Jana have come if Betts were already here? She’s the one who matters, the one we’re all worried about.

Ice and Ayanna won’t be eclipsed for three years by Betts’s presence on the roster. But Jana will be. Of course, we can play twin towers part of the time. But one of them will take a back seat most of the time. The positive is that Betts is essentially a low post player, while Jana seems to prefer the high post. We know Geno can make that work.

I’ve watched a few of Betts’s games at Stanford, and the FIBA games when she played with Ice. I don’t agree that she’s as good as Cardoso now. I don’t think she’s even as well developed a scorer and rebounder as Cardoso was as a freshman, though this comparison is closer. Their activity levels as freshman were similar. I suspect Betts will develop along a similar curve and be as imposing as Cardoso at each stage.

Comparing her to Ice is perhaps more revealing. They’re not similar, and Betts is a much more imposing presence in the paint. But Ice was a better scorer, ran the court better and was simply more active as a rebounder and defender. I doubt Ice will outrebound Betts over the long haul. But she gets to a lot of balls and has a quick outlet pass. She can even handle the ball a bit. I would want Betts dribbling the ball as little as possible.
So here’s what I see. Cardoso, in her 3rd year of college basketball, does not have a “back to the basket” post up game. She needs to get the ball 2’ from the basket to score. In addition, she’s not really the rim protector you might expect at 6’7”.

Betts has a much more refined post up game, with a number of effective scoring moves with her back to the basket. In addition, Betts is better at challenging shots in the paint than Cardoso.

It’s just my opinion of course, but Betts has more game than Cardoso. Under the right coach ;) Betts could become an AA and top draft choice in the W.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She will make a huge difference on some team out there but not on UCONN. They already have a bunch of stars and need a post player in the recruiting next year not now. I still have an issue with players that make a commitment and leave after one season. If her grades are a problem which could be the case at a school like Stanford okay, but leaving because she is playing behind Brink is not. Brink was there when she signed up, right?

Reaction Score

I have no reason to doubt what you say about her potential, but if it is true then Tara
committed coaching malpractice of the highest magnitude!!!

Reaction Score
I'm sure there are coaches out there who are wondering if it's worth the time and effort to recruit kids out of high school, develop them for a year or two, only to have some other program benefit from that coaching when they transfer out.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
So here’s what I see. Cardoso in her 3rd year of college basketball does not have a “back to the basket” post up game. She needs to get the ball 2’ from the basket to score. In addition, she’s not really the rim protector you might expect at 6’7”.

Betts has a much more refined post up game, with a number of effective scoring moves with her back to the basket. In addition, Betts is better at challenging shots in the paint than Cardoso.

It’s just my opinion of course, but Betts has more game than Cardoso. Under the right coach ;) Betts could become an AA and top draft choice in the W.

I'd take Cardoso over Betts in a heartbeat if I had to pick (though I'd be happy with either on any team). Cardoso is an elite level rebounder and finishes well at the basket even if she lacks any range. Runs the floor well and I think she is an excellent rim protector (2 blocks in 19 minutes is solid). She also has a knack for playing her best basketball in big games (vs. UCONN/Iowa/LSU this year).

Reaction Score
So here’s what I see. Cardoso in her 3rd year of college basketball does not have a “back to the basket” post up game. She needs to get the ball 2’ from the basket to score. In addition, she’s not really the rim protector you might expect at 6’7”.

I know what you mean. Kamilla is not a traditional post player on offense. But I remember her on Syracuse -- UConn played them in the second round of the tournament that year. In the first quarter, Cardoso seemed practically unstoppable on offense -- she may have scored all 12 of her points in that quarter -- then got into foul trouble and was a non-factor the rest of the way. She ran the court well and didn't really need the back-to-the-basket moves in those days.

Betts has more moves in the paint, but seems to me -- and this is subjective -- a lot slower than Kamilla running the court, but also just moving in the paint, chasing rebounds, etc. I know her stats this year are suggestive if you extrapolate from 10 to 30 mins pt. But this is not a reliable predictor as it leaves out the conditioning factor, which I suspect is significant. Will she really average 18 pts 11 rebounds and 3 blocks per game at 30 mins pt? I doubt it. But if we trust such an extrapolation, their stats are eerily similar this year.

All that said, I expect Cardoso will be a premier C in D1 this year, and Betts will become one soon -- maybe not next year, but very soon once her conditioning improves.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have no reason to doubt what you say about her potential, but if it is true then Tara
committed coaching malpractice of the highest magnitude!!!
Until now, Tara could load up her roster with HS AA’s, and they would almost never leave, content with limited PT in exchange for the prestige of a Stanford sheepskin. This past year, both Belibi & Prechtel, 2 heralded HS AA’s, finished their 4 years at Stanford without ever cracking the starting lineup as regulars.

Betts is unique. She’s not willing to bide her time at Stanford, with the hope that her PT will some day increase, all the while knowing that Tara will continue to bring in additional AA’s who will fight for PT.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'd take Cardoso over Betts in a heartbeat if I had to pick (though I'd be happy with either on any team). Cardoso is an elite level rebounder and finishes well at the basket even if she lacks any range. Runs the floor well and I think she is an excellent rim protector (2 blocks in 19 minutes is solid). She also has a knack for playing her best basketball in big games (vs. UCONN/Iowa/LSU this year).
Think back to Cardoso as a freshman. She played a great 8 minutes or so against UConn and then completely disappeared and ended up on the bench as Liv outplayed her from then on. IMO, Betts will be significantly better when all is said and done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom