Last Rodeo for Kyla Irwin | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Last Rodeo for Kyla Irwin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Look, I am still convinced that Natalie can be a very good player. But, I fear next season wll be very difficult for Geno and the coaching staff. We Husky fans have been vry spoiled, and I understand there are down years in the natural evolution of any team. But, if Geno can't find a way to give more than 7 players minutes this year, with this talent, he will be pulling his hair out next season. I don't normally think this far ahead, but.....something to think abou. For now , let's enjoy what this team is on the verge of accomplishing. 4 Straight Championships may never happen again !

Why cant he play Stewie and MoJeff 38 minutes or more? They are super-elite. So now you essentially are subbing for three players. Maximum you'd go with is 8. SO we're going with 7. That one player is a big deal?

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score

Dangerfield should be a special player. But, the rest of the class is dissapointing to me. Not one other player in the top 100. I understand recruiting is cyclictic, but you would think that Husky Pedigree should have gotten them a higher ranked recruiting class. Not one post player from a class that is talented.

I agree totally

One cannot but agree. The raven is calling our name. The handwriting is on the wall. The omens are black and the runes read tragedy. The shadow is growing. We are definitely damnably dolorously disastrously DOOOOMED, one with LaTech, Old Dominion and the Evil Empire!!! :cool:

Reaction Score

Dangerfield should be a special player. But, the rest of the class is dissapointing to me. Not one other player in the top 100. I understand recruiting is cyclictic, but you would think that Husky Pedigree should have gotten them a higher ranked recruiting class. Not one post player from a class that is talented.

I agree totally

One cannot but agree. The raven is calling our name. The handwriting is on the wall. The omens are black and the runes read tragedy. The shadow is growing. We are definitely damnably dolorously disastrously DOOOOMED, one with LaTech, Old Dominion and the Evil Empire!!! :cool:
Shall be lifted nevermore. Or until next year.

Reaction Score
Why cant he play Stewie and MoJeff 38 minutes or more? They are super-elite. So now you essentially are subbing for three players. Maximum you'd go with is 8. SO we're going with 7. That one player is a big deal?

My point was, that if Geno doesn't trust, Chong, Ekmark, Butler, and sometimes even Collier to play with any of the starting cast he has right now, next year should be a real shock to him. Of course, when you are either coaching the best team in WCBB, or the TEAM USA, you probably tend to get a bit spoiled ?

Reaction Score
I was responding to a post by JoePgh. The answer is Butler.

She doesn't impress me at all at the moment. At the moment that is. I hope your correct. Please prove me wrong. I would love to be proving wrong regarding this hope.

Reaction Score
My point was, that if Geno doesn't trust, Chong, Ekmark, Butler, and sometimes even Collier to play with any of the starting cast he has right now, next year should be a real shock to him. Of course, when you are either coaching the best team in WCBB, or the TEAM USA, you probably tend to get a bit spoiled ?

I don't think next year is going to be a shock is my point. Players get better year-over-year. Two years Stokes was on the bench and she was vital her junior year and came up big in some games in her senior year.

I don't know though if we are "arguing . . " Are we? This team is potentially and plays many times like an all-time great team. A player like Chong and Ekmark are behind "greater" players. As is Collier- but Collier not quite as much but Gabby's ablity to defend guards like Courtney from USF sure makes it hard to not have her on the court at pf. And KLS is superior as wing and you have Stewie and Tuck adept anywhere.

So why would you play lesser players more minutes when it probably doesn't make your team better? Unless you feel a 10 player rotation is superior to a 7 man rotation type of thing? That would be in contrast to what Geno believes though I think eh said 7/8 I ideal. Collier is part of 7 man rotation but sort of last resort. Though again whose minutes do you want to drop from Stewie, Tuck, KLS and GW to get Collier more minutes? She is NOT as good as them right now. The others tremendous for what they do. Collier is really only super at having a nose for the ball. She is "good" defensively" but Gabby is great defensively and better offensively.

And as for next year, you don't believe in some player's getting a sophomore jump? Gabby's shot was bad last year. Awful. Collier's shot is much better than last year's GW. With her very good defense and very good rebounding, you don't think it reasonable to assume that she will be much, much better next year?

**So next year you should have some degree of confidence in 5 players, right? Nurse, KLS, Gabby, Collier and Danger?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have not seen much of this young lady. Why is she ranked so low if she is that good. And yes I know they get it wrong at times.

But also what type of competition does she face in highschool.
I was at a combine with my oldest daughter some years ago and a top NCAA softball coach said "The clearest way to make a mistake about a recruit was to look at her statistics. Hitting homeruns against weak pitching means little."

She went on to say that a second string shortstop from San Diego (where they play 12 months a year in warm weather) is often a better choice than an all-star from a cold weather state. In other words who you're playing matters.

But here is where it gets interesting from a recruiting point of view. While other coaches may have seen Stef as a serviceable part of a frontcourt rotation, Geno and CD were able to mold her into an AA and two time National Champion.

Like you I don't know much about Kyla, but I'm hoping that what Geno saw in her that encouraged him to offer her a scholarship was some of the same stuff he saw in Dolson.

And about the rankings, the more educated members of the Board could probably provide us with a list of several former top ten prospects whose college careers have not gone the way that some thought that they would. (Tennessee has at least two on their roster right now.)

Reaction Score
I was at a combine with my oldest daughter some years ago and a top NCAA softball coach said "The clearest way to make a mistake about a recruit was to look at her statistics. Hitting homeruns against weak pitching means little."

She went on to say that a second string shortstop from San Diego (where they play 12 months a year in warm weather) is often a better choice than an all-star from a cold weather state. In other words who you're playing matters.

But here is where it gets interesting from a recruiting point of view. While other coaches may have seen Stef as a serviceable part of a frontcourt rotation, Geno and CD were able to mold her into an AA and two time National Champion.

Like you I don't know much about Kyla, but I'm hoping that what Geno saw in her that encouraged him to offer her a scholarship was some of the same stuff he saw in Dolson.

And about the rankings, the more educated members of the Board could probably provide us with a list of several former top ten prospects whose college careers have not gone the way that some thought that they would. (Tennessee has at least two on their roster right now.)

I understand where your coming from and I agree.

As a player who played the game statistics is good when consistently supported by raw talent. And especially when that talent is tested against better overall talented players regularly.

I also know athelets can be groom into better players. I have witness this fact over and over again at Uconn and abroad. I was that person.

When I see a kid play I look for potential and talent. Not stats, but the overall skills and determination.

Regarding Irwin...I dont know nothing about this kid. No I cannot judge her by rankings alone. Look at Russell for Tenn.

I would love to see her though and not just on film playing against midiocre talent. What I won't do ( like many) "who watched her play against week competition" is rave about how good she is until she is tested.

Do I beloved there is a strong possibility she can be groomed by Geno to be better than what she is now? You better believe I do. Geno measures the skill set, the guts, character and the heart of the player and also talent. He has been wrong sometimes as well. Not much.

To tell the truth. I've already assumed she just may be underated. Time will tell. I wished the best for all the recruits.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It never ceases to amaze me that fans on this board, never even having seen a recruit scrimmage, will purport to judge their ultimate utility to the Huskies, no matter how many times they have been proven wrong. It certainly isn't the strongest attribute of a fan.

Reaction Score
I don't think next year is going to be a shock is my point. Players get better year-over-year. Two years Stokes was on the bench and she was vital her junior year and came up big in some games in her senior year.

I don't know though if we are "arguing . . " Are we? This team is potentially and plays many times like an all-time great team. A player like Chong and Ekmark are behind "greater" players. As is Collier- but Collier not quite as much but Gabby's ablity to defend guards like Courtney from USF sure makes it hard to not have her on the court at pf. And KLS is superior as wing and you have Stewie and Tuck adept anywhere.

So why would you play lesser players more minutes when it probably doesn't make your team better? Unless you feel a 10 player rotation is superior to a 7 man rotation type of thing? That would be in contrast to what Geno believes though I think eh said 7/8 I ideal. Collier is part of 7 man rotation but sort of last resort. Though again whose minutes do you want to drop from Stewie, Tuck, KLS and GW to get Collier more minutes? She is NOT as good as them right now. The others tremendous for what they do. Collier is really only super at having a nose for the ball. She is "good" defensively" but Gabby is great defensively and better offensively.

And as for next year, you don't believe in some player's getting a sophomore jump? Gabby's shot was bad last year. Awful. Collier's shot is much better than last year's GW. With her very good defense and very good rebounding, you don't think it reasonable to assume that she will be much, much better next year?

**So next year you should have some degree of confidence in 5 players, right? Nurse, KLS, Gabby, Collier and Danger?

I am assuming Morgan will leave for wnba. Otherwise why would she remove the brace. Except to show scouts she's a healthy player worth the pick. Now, the only other players I have confidence in are Nurse, KLS, and Gabby. Why ? Because noone else gets playing time even for a few minutes in important games. So now eveyone on this board seems to think over the summer Butler, Ekmark, and Chong will miraculously elevate their games. And a freshman will move right into Moriah's role, which Moriah couldn't even do 4 years ago. And then there are the other fresh who aren't even top 100 recruits who are going to turn into AA by next fall.

Reaction Score
I understand where your coming from and I agree.

As a player who played the game statistics is good when consistently supported by raw talent. And especially when that talent is tested against better overall talented players regularly.

I also know athelets can be groom into better players. I have witness this fact over and over again at Uconn and abroad. I was that person.

When I see a kid play I look for potential and talent. Not stats, but the overall skills and determination.

Regarding Irwin...I dont know nothing about this kid. No I cannot judge her by rankings alone. Look at Russell for Tenn.

I would love to see her though and not just on film playing against midiocre talent. What I won't do ( like many) "who watched her play against week competition" is rave about how good she is until she is tested.

Do I beloved there is a strong possibility she can be groomed by Geno to be better than what she is now? You better believe I do. Geno measures the skill set, the guts, character and the heart of the player and also talent. He has been wrong sometimes as well. Not much.

To tell the truth. I've already assumed she just may be underated. Time will tell. I wished the best for all the recruits.

I love your post!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love it!!!!!!!!!!

1-- I'm with you regarding Irwin and your overall philosophy of all from above. And because I'm uncertain of the raw talent she has, I've got to see for myself. And - as you say - I have no doubt she will improve a great deal under Geno. I don't agree with the reference the poster bonp made (I agreed with enalry everything from bonp) regarding Dolan though and for anyone else that has mentioned Stef in the past as some type of comparison in any manner with Irwin.

From what I remember, Dolson was high in some recruiting services. In addition, I believe Stef was an all-american in high school. I specifically remember she was regarded as the number 1 center recruit in her class. I remember several of us on the old ESPN Board thought she was very good - definitely much better than 30+ . . . The "athlete" sometimes gets overrated vs fundamentals and skill. Which these things might be with Irwin. But Stef was regarded as THE top center in her class.

I can't wait to find out though. Tiem to watch the men!!!!!!!!! Let's go UCONN!!

Reaction Score
I am assuming Morgan will leave for wnba. Otherwise why would she remove the brace. Except to show scouts she's a healthy player worth the pick. Now, the only other players I have confidence in are Nurse, KLS, and Gabby. Why ? Because noone else gets playing time even for a few minutes in important games. So now eveyone on this board seems to think over the summer Butler, Ekmark, and Chong will miraculously elevate their games. And a freshman will move right into Moriah's role, which Moriah couldn't even do 4 years ago. And then there are the other fresh who aren't even top 100 recruits who are going to turn into AA by next fall.

The men's game is on - I got to watch. But questions for you. Honestly if you had "gun-to-head" and someone asked you how good do you think Collier and Danger will be by the end of the year, Would you say a/b/c/d/f? Would you say le's say closer to b than c? Would you say high c+ or b-? Or other? If you are more than a grade off - you are in trouble! :)

Reaction Score
Of course all of the good thing projected by optimistic fans will not happen, but not all of them have to happen for UConn to reach the Final Four. If Collier and Butler can make substantial strides, which I think is probable, all will be well at UConn. You're correct, we can't expect the Danger to step in and fill MoJeff's shoes, but by the time of the NCAA Tournament, she may be able to contribute substantially. And she won't have to face-guard Skylar from behind.

Reaction Score
There is something about Kyla's body language on the court that tells you she is going to compete whatever the level of competition.

Reaction Score
I am assuming Morgan will leave for wnba. Otherwise why would she remove the brace.

I read/heard Geno say that the brace was really bothering her during games, slipping, and proving a distraction. She simply didn't like how it felt, and got the OK to dispense with it. I don't know if you've ever had to wear a health appliance. I use a CPAP while sleeping and, at times, I just want to take it off, even though I know it's good for me AND my wife will complain about the resulting snoring. ;)

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
She doesn't impress me at all at the moment. At the moment that is. I hope your correct. Please prove me wrong. I would love to be proving wrong regarding this hope.
I believe the talent is there. I know she has the desire and determination. That injury set her back and I believe hurt her confidence after being so ready to play mentally and physically. Missing all that time did not help. I think she is as good as the center at Nebraska and the center at Kansas State. Either one of them could have helped UCONN, imo. I believe Butler will excel next summer.

Reaction Score
Butler just like Chong, both have lots pressure specially playing a team with 3 AA and 1 #1 High School recruit. There are several times Butler got the ball and, I really wish she can just jump and make a layup either score or be fouled. But she hesitated and then passed the ball to other or lost the ball.

She, sometimes can make easy layup, but not consistent. May be we expect too much from her. But I think after this summer she will be OK.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Butler just like Chong, both have lots pressure specially playing a team with 3 AA and 1 #1 High School recruit.

Frankly, I think these are reasons they have LITTLE pressure on them. Next year will be a different story.

Reaction Score
I read/heard Geno say that the brace was really bothering her during games, slipping, and proving a distraction. She simply didn't like how it felt, and got the OK to dispense with it. I don't know if you've ever had to wear a health appliance. I use a CPAP while sleeping and, at times, I just want to take it off, even though I know it's good for me AND my wife will complain about the resulting snoring. ;)

I've had several sports injuries, but luckily have never had to wear an appliance while playing. At least not anything like Morgan was wearing. But, you have to admit that the timing is curious. Morgan sat and rested the knee for 2 weeks, because of soreness. Then , she is playing without a brace, and no complaints about her knee. Just when we all know WNBA scouts are really fine tuning decisions by watching players down the stretch. My guess is the soreness must have been caused by the appliance itself. Still, you would think she'd be wearing something.

Reaction Score
Wait one cotton picking minute! I thought this was a Kyla thread? WTH?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Now, the only other players I have confidence in are Nurse, KLS, and Gabby. Why ? Because noone else gets playing time even for a few minutes in important games. So now eveyone on this board seems to think over the summer Butler, Ekmark, and Chong will miraculously elevate their games. And a freshman will move right into Moriah's role, which Moriah couldn't even do 4 years ago. And then there are the other fresh who aren't even top 100 recruits who are going to turn into AA by next fall.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I keep think back to last year and the following numbers: 5, 4, 5, 6, 3 - minutes for a scrub off the bench who absolutely couldn't be trusted against any good teams until the last few minutes even when the MOV was 18, 25, 21, 23, 10. I mean that Williams kid was just taking up a seat on the bench and using a scholarship that could have gone to a good player! :eek::) It wasn't like there was any other competition for minutes - the starting 5 were being worn to the bone, and even that kid Kiah who some fool of a GM drafted in the first round could only get off the bench for 10, 7, and 11 minutes in three of those games. :cool: What a disaster, thank goodness we had 3 decent recruits arriving over the summer, cause we had a gaping whole created by the graduation of AA KML and that bench warmer Kiah. :D

In other words - we have pretty good coaches who know how to develop players, and players who take the seven months between the last game of a year and the first of the next year to grow as people and work on the holes in their game. And we have very good starters who are the best conditioned and coached players in the country and actually enjoy playing 35 or 40 minutes a game when the competition warrants it.

And each year is a new team with new dynamics and new roles for each of the players, and once a rotation gets set, they earn each other's trust, and the coaches trust through the course of the year. We debate and worry and wonder for all of those seven down months what is going to come out of that big box sitting in Gampel and each year when we get to open it, it is full of both the familiar and the completely unexpected, and it gives us immense pleasure for the next five months, until it gets sent back to the manufacturer for a complete overhaul. That is true of both the championship years and the ones that end a little short of the grand prize. Maya and Tina won it 50% of the time, Renee 25%, and Mel missed every year, but they covered our price of admission ten times over every year with the pleasure we derived from their journeys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom