Last Rodeo for Kyla Irwin | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Last Rodeo for Kyla Irwin

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Was Laurin Dixon ranked when she was in high school? What about Megan Gardler? For that matter, what about Kara Wolters and Jen Rizzotti? What about Ketia Swanier?

But I understand your point -- in the last 10-15 years, it would be hard to point to a player who was "NR" in high school who made a serious impact on the court when she got to UConn.

On the other hand, role players in that category have existed and have made serious contributions. In addition to Dixon and Gardler, I can think of Ashley Valley and Carla Berube. There must be others.

I do NOT think that Kyla Irwin will be limited to "4 minutes at the end of blowouts" next year. UConn will have a thin front court next year, so I expect that Kyla will be used as much as she can be relied on. And hopefully that will be quite a bit. No, I don't think that she will start (or that she should).
I don't have access to online rankings that far back but... Dixon was a top 20 kid IIRC. Maya was #1 but I think Lorin was about 20 or so. Megan Gardler - I think she was in the 60's. There weren't as many ranking services back then. Swanier was also a top 25 kid. But no idea about Wolters or Rizotti...

Reaction Score
From videos that I have seen I think Kyla definitely has the skills to play in Storrs. She has dominated her high school competition (albeit not the best) with over 2000 points and 1000 rebounds. She played well enough on the AAU circuit for Geno along with many other college coaches to offer her scholarships before her Junior year of high school even started. Her AAU team won A LOT last year, so she is used to winning against very good competition. She's the daughter of a very good player and current coach so she knows the game and has a high BBall IQ. Do you really think that college coaches care about all the rankings? I don't. Most ranking services have only 1 or 2 people to evaluate thousands and thousands of high school players in North America, those numbers just don't make sense. I can guarantee that Geno, CD, Shea, and Marissa don't think their are 100 kids better than Kyla in the 2016 class.

As for Molly, she didn't even start playing in elite summer AAU until after her sophomore year of high school when she decided that she wanted to pursue basketball in college instead of soccer. That's unheard of in today's day and age. Even up through this year, she's been spending August-November playing soccer every year so she has only been playing basketball 8 months per year at the most. You have to think once she focuses on basketball there will be significant room for growth. An article at the time of her commitment last year had her AAU coach quoted as saying after an AAU game last spring that Mathew Mitchell told him that she could have played for him at Kentucky right then. Plus after moving on from Division 1 high school basketball in MA where she averaged 25+ ppg she has been playing on a team with 6-7 D1 college players on the roster at Tabor. 3 years of that every day in practice will better prepare a player for the riggors of college basketball than almost anywhere else in high school basketball. Lastly, the other guard in the backcourt at Tabor is a top 40 ranked player headed to South Carolina who from what I have heard Molly has been severely outplaying this year.

Reaction Score
Yup, so the answer is 1-maybe. There is a #1 recruiting class 2013 sitting down in TN right now that is struggling to be relevant in their own conference.

The way they rank classes gives equal weight (at least on ESPN) to all ranked players. But the key is whether the best player is picked, and whether that player has one or two top talents to assist her. So a class with 6 kids ranked in the top 100 can be a dud, but a class with two in the top five could be a NC class.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In terms of rankings, I'm reminded of what Geno said about picking the Olympic team. You could just select the 12 best players, but the result will not be the best TEAM. You need role players and glue players. You also need kids who buy into your system.

As Jim Foster said when Maya arrived, "Geno does more with more." So a top recruit will develop more at UConn than elsewhere, quite often. Certainly, some of the greatest players ever have bought into his system and the idea of winning as a team over individual glory.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Bent is ranked #111 by Blue Star:

http://www.bluestarbb.com/results_11.php?ranklist=12&rankyear=2016

Bent was ranked by ASGR in November, but just outside top-50 at #56:

https://asgrbasketball.com/baylor-south-carolina-maryland-top-2016-recruiting-class-rankings/

And with ALL due respect to any UConn walk-ons, there is no way on earth they'd be rated anywhere near the top-150.

Irwin was #121 by ASGR last fall.
I hear ya. I did not mean to imply that the 2 kids would be no "better" than walk ons, simply that in looking at the rankings (which the ones I looked up stopped at 100 for HG, 150 for PN and 50 for BS), did not have Molly ranked on any of them. They both seem like super high character kids, which is at least as important as being a super star. I was only trying to temper expectations. They both may be much better than their rankings, maybe both legit top 30 or top 40 kids, but for their first year, I'd be surprised if they see the court more than 4 minutes at the end of blowouts.

I didn't say it was impossible, just that I'd be surprised. I'll happily admit I was wrong if they earn a lot more PT that that. I have no idea of their potential because I really have nothing to compare them to.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The way they rank classes gives equal weight (at least on ESPN) to all ranked players. But the key is whether the best player is picked, and whether that player has one or two top talents to assist her. So a class with 6 kids ranked in the top 100 can be a dud, but a class with two in the top five could be a NC class.
Exactly. Having a roster of 12 kids all ranked between 50 and 60 will give you a decent team, but a team with four top-5 players all from different classes is likely to put a superior group onto the floor.

And then there's the idea that not all #1s are the same. The gap between a player like Maya and the #2 player her class (Angie Bjorklund) is larger than for other #1s. Here are the top 10 from 2012:

Stewie
Moriah
Alexis Jones
Jewell Loyd
Bashaara Graves
Morgan Tuck
Jordan Adams
Malina Howard
Rachel Hollivay
Courtney Williams (TAMU)

Stewie, Moriah, Morgan, and Jewell have had fabulous careers. Alexis Jones is doing well. Most of the others may not make a WNBA roster.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
but for their first year, I'd be surprised if they see the court more than 4 minutes at the end of blowouts.

Wanna see Irwin in game settings, but I'm very optimistic about Bent. I think she's gonna play, probably both the 1 and 2. I'm gonna say about 12 min/gm on average.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
As I recall, even Geno and CD have said that it's typically not possible to win an NC without top-drawer talent, no matter how good the coaching or how much character and smarts the "pretty good" players have. (Maybe when they made the Final Four in 1991 it was different.) And there is no question that not having Stewart / Jefferson / Tuck (all Top 5 at one point) will reduce the talent level of the UConn roster well below where it has been for the last four years.

BUT ... assuming Morgan leaves, next year's roster will still have 3 players who were Top 5 in high school: Samuelson, Dangerfield, and Collier. You would think that would be enough of a nucleus of raw talent to contend for the NC. The supporting class will include Nurse and Williams (who were around the #10 level, as recall). Ekmark was Top 50, I believe.

So the level of talent for another NC will be there, but it will be "barely there" -- not overwhelmingly so, as we have recently become accustomed to. It's good enough that character and smarts (and coaching) might be enough to be the winning edge.

That should make for a more interesting and less predetermined season that those we have recently witnessed.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Rather than focusing on the ranking of the players people need to pay attention to the roster. No Morgan would mean Natalie and Kyla are the only true post player on the roster. I don't see Natalie going from where she is now to playing 30+ minutes per game. I also don't see UCONN running an offense without at least 1 post of the Natalie or Kyla variety. There are minutes available in the post, Kyla is capable so she will play.
Molly situation is a little more iffy because we have more guard depth. Nurse will start at either PG or SG and so will KLS at SF or SG. That leaves backup positions for Dangerfield at PG and Chong
at SG with Molly possibly backing up both of the backup. Both will play and it will have nothing to do with where they were ranked.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
BUT ... assuming Morgan leaves, next year's roster will still have 3 players who were Top 5 in high school: Samuelson, Dangerfield, and Collier. You would think that would be enough of a nucleus of raw talent to contend for the NC.

Lots of issues to fix, imo. Post defense, post offense being the foremost, imo.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Molly situation is a little more iffy because we have more guard depth. Nurse will start at either PG or SG and so will KLS at SF or SG. That leaves backup positions for Dangerfield at PG and Chong
at SG with Molly possibly backing up both of the backup.

KLS is playing wing right now, more or less. If the coaching staff can find a PG they like and keep Nurse at the 2, Lou should be able to stay at the 3. If that all happens you essentially have 80 minutes available for two guard spots and 4 players, plus whatever minutes Williams plays guard. Chong would seem to be the wildcard. If she breaks out, minutes might be more sparse. If not, there would appear to be plenty for Bent if she earns them.

Reaction Score
Look, I am still convinced that Natalie can be a very good player. But, I fear next season wll be very difficult for Geno and the coaching staff. We Husky fans have been vry spoiled, and I understand there are down years in the natural evolution of any team. But, if Geno can't find a way to give more than 7 players minutes this year, with this talent, he will be pulling his hair out next season. I don't normally think this far ahead, but.....something to think abou. For now , let's enjoy what this team is on the verge of accomplishing. 4 Straight Championships may never happen again !

Reaction Score
I was not talking about recruiting " class " rankings, as I don't put much stock in them. I do however feel like individual player rankings are about the raw talent of the individual players. In that aspect it would seem that either none of these kids wanted to play at Uconn, or the coaching staff did not like any of the players in the top 100.
Geno doesn't attempt to assemble a collection of the highest ranked kids each year, he attempts to assemble a winning team for each year. And based on results, I'd say he's doing at least okay. :D

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Lots of issues to fix, imo. Post defense, post offense being the foremost, imo.
There is no question that UConn will be a more perimeter oriented team next year than it has been for a long time. That will be a challenge for the coaching staff, but one that they can certainly handle. Think of how many teams without a good "big" have given UConn fits in the past, starting with South Florida this season. UConn's talent next year will be significantly better the USF's talent this year, and USF was competing with Stewie and Morgan in the paint. What other team is going to have a post combination of that quality and experience next year?

You may also remember Georgetown's team of a few years ago, before their coach left for Auburn. They had Sugar Rogers and several other players of that type, but (as I recall) no player above 6-0. They competed very effectively against a UConn team with Stef and Maya -- almost beating them in the Sweet 16 one year.

Teams don't have to have a major star in the paint to be top-level contenders. Hopefully UConn will demonstrate that again next year.

Reaction Score
There is no question that UConn will be a more perimeter oriented team next year than it has been for a long time. That will be a challenge for the coaching staff, but one that they can certainly handle. Think of how many teams without a good "big" have given UConn fits in the past, starting with South Florida this season.
I learned a lot from this post, JoePgh, but I'm a little puzzled still. Will UConn be more of a perimeter offense or defense? and what personnel do you see as contributing to each (or both) to make it more that way then this year? thanks!

T

TroyHouse66

erics&iego
<<I don't have access to online rankings that far back ... no idea about Wolters or Rizotti...>>

Hey, those guys go back so far, they were still being ranked in Roman numerals...
[Not to mention that the original "Big Girl" was VI' VII". Geno was the only coach that could "ca-pishe"]

Reaction Score
Was Laurin Dixon ranked when she was in high school? What about Megan Gardler? For that matter, what about Kara Wolters and Jen Rizzotti? What about Ketia Swanier?

But I understand your point -- in the last 10-15 years, it would be hard to point to a player who was "NR" in high school who made a serious impact on the court when she got to UConn.

On the other hand, role players in that category have existed and have made serious contributions. In addition to Dixon and Gardler, I can think of Ashley Valley and Carla Berube. There must be others.

I do NOT think that Kyla Irwin will be limited to "4 minutes at the end of blowouts" next year. UConn will have a thin front court next year, so I expect that Kyla will be used as much as she can be relied on. And hopefully that will be quite a bit. No, I don't think that she will start (or that she should).[/QUOT

With all due respect to the others mentioned, I take exception to Carla Berube being called a role player. She was an important role player as a freshman and sophomore, but after that she was an important cog. A fan favorite and a great all around player , think of Kelly Faris but with higher scoring efficency.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
There is no question that UConn will be a more perimeter oriented team next year than it has been for a long time. That will be a challenge for the coaching staff, but one that they can certainly handle. Think of how many teams without a good "big" have given UConn fits in the past, starting with South Florida this season. UConn's talent next year will be significantly better the USF's talent this year, and USF was competing with Stewie and Morgan in the paint. What other team is going to have a post combination of that quality and experience next year?

You may also remember Georgetown's team of a few years ago, before their coach left for Auburn. They had Sugar Rogers and several other players of that type, but (as I recall) no player above 6-0. They competed very effectively against a UConn team with Stef and Maya -- almost beating them in the Sweet 16 one year.

Teams don't have to have a major star in the paint to be top-level contenders. Hopefully UConn will demonstrate that again next year.
I can't but agree with what you say. But think how many players UConn will have that want and need to play inside next year. Butler, Gabby, Pheese, Irwin. Perhaps this team will play outside/inside more than today's inside/outside, but it will, I think, still be a strong team in the paint. Better than supposed. But I agree, Irwin will not just be a garbage time player. I think she'll get significant minutes from early games through the Dance, though not a starter. What this team lacks in size it will make up in scrap, grit and smarts. And of course deadeye shooting. I've said it before, but in many ways a more fun team to watch than this one.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Gabby doesn't need to play inside. She great ability to do so when needed.

Reaction Score
Dangerfield should be a special player. But, the rest of the class is dissapointing to me. Not one other player in the top 100. I understand recruiting is cyclictic, but you would think that Husky Pedigree should have gotten them a higher ranked recruiting class. Not one post player from a class that is talented.

I agree totally

Reaction Score

I do NOT think that Kyla Irwin will be limited to "4 minutes at the end of blowouts" next year. UConn will have a thin front court next year, so I expect that Kyla will be used as much as she can be relied on. And hopefully that will be quite a bit. No, I don't think that she will start (or that she should).

If she makes as much of a contribution as Carla Berube, she will be very good indeed!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
UCONN will have a major star in the paint next season!

Reaction Score
IMO the best team will be Collier, Gabby, KLS, Nurse and Danger. This lineup can't go 35 minutes but it can be formidable. Until I see Irwin vs top tier college players can't see her getting big minutes. Geno has said game is now more wing/guard oriented.Unless Collier or Gabby "disappoints" I believe UCONN will play it's best most of the time during crunch time.

I agreed with joepgh for all of it until he mentioned USF. USF didn't come close once down the stretch vs UCONN. Next year we'll learn what "fits" really means. But vs the top-tier teams Butler and Irwin can't play together other than maybe sporadic minutes. Have to find a different way to win. Because of the superior skills they have - they will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom