Kyla Irwin Commits to UConn | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Kyla Irwin Commits to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've seen the underlined below on occassion on this site and it is still baffling to me why others are so extremely shcoked she could be an a/a. I can see if someone were to question 1st team a/a and the DPOY. But here is what you had with Dolson:

1--- Regarded as the best center in her class.
2--- Not only tall but big meaning as soon as she stepped on the court she had an advantage. Of course many that big can't get it- but she was number 1 center for a reason and ..
3--- For her size she also had a soft touch.
4--- For her size she could not only low post but step outisde a bit you saw she had a touch in high school beyond 5 feet.
5--- While some big players can shoot from the outside they are a "fish out of water" to do anything else with the ball out there. In part what made Dolson special is she could pass BOTH in the low post and on the perimeter along with shoot from both. If I recall correctly they mentioned she was a good passer.

So we give the best coach in WCBB all this talent and we expect Geno will continue to recruit well - meaning other players will also make Stef look good. So you don't think all this is an a/a (2nd team or 3rd team) probability? IMO it's one thing to say "I didn't think so. " But I find it baffling that you can be shocked. This isn't 6'1 Kaili McLaren. Stef was 6'5. Big and tall with skill. You "give" Geno "this" --it is going to translate into an a/a an awful lot of times.
I think there was talk when Stef was a freshman that she was somewhat "lumbering" and I remember a decent amount of criticism that those soft hands often had rebounds ripped from them. So it wasn't all positive! It turned out pretty well, don't you think?

Reaction Score
I think there was talk when Stef was a freshman that she was somewhat "lumbering" and I remember a decent amount of criticism that those soft hands often had rebounds ripped from them. So it wasn't all positive! It turned out pretty well, don't you think?

Absolutley - absolutely worked out great.

But for those that put down "lumbering" - imo too much emphasis is put on that. You can be a great college player and "lumber." Paris was a lumberer.

And as for rebounds being ripped out of her hands - for a player 6'5 with her size - how hard is that to overcome with a coach like Geno?

And I just wentback and read hopgurlz critique of her. Everything was excellent then it comes down "the pump fake." Really? What's wrong with these people? Ohh - a 6'5 player with her her build and passing ability - and a major point is her "pump fake?" They really couldn't project she'd develop little hook shots in the lane?

http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/63102/stefanie-dolson

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Can't do it. I haven't seen her play. I'll wait for her sr year

Darn glad to have her. Love what I've read. Seems like a bulldog.

What about you?

Me? I can't project AA for Irwin, though I'm darn glad to have her and love what I've read. BUT. . .

I haven't seen her play.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Height wise and skills wise Kyla may be closer to Kaili McLaren than Dolson. Kaili had a very good career at UCONN playing out of the high post. Kyla moves better than Kaili was able to do.

Reaction Score
I don't know how good she is, but not everyone that Geno recruits will be an AA or even that highly rated. And not every highly rated recruit will be a star at UConn. Stokes hasn't, nor did Banks (Top 15-20 kid).

Didn't he offer scholarships to Bonnie Samuelson, Karlie Samuelson, Peyton Little, etc? Most recently Haley Gorecki. I'm sure I'm missing others as well. You can't have a team of stars. I don't see a problem with posters saying she was most likely recruited to be a role player. Of course, I may be wrong and her ranking will blow up and she will be really, really good.

Assuming she's a 4, she'll be competing with playing time with Butler, Boykins, and I'm guessing both Samuelson and Collier will spend some time at the 4 ala Maya.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Talked with my hoopster from church who has played against Kyla for several years and has been on the Central PA Top 15 with Kyla twice, basically, the equivalent of All State in CT or any of the northeast states. Her comment is that we will "love Kyla and her skills. She is a great player."

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Other people seem to have slotted her into practice body already. I see this kid more in a Dolson mold, without obviously first team AA expectations. She's only what, 16? Stefanie became great through hard work, not because she came in better than everyone else.
Well Dolson had great skills (footwork, touch, competitiveness) when she came in. She was a McD's AA. You could (well I could) tell she had the potential to be a very good player before she got to UCONN. Won't say I saw her as a 1st Team AA, but I thought she could be very good. (maybe 2nd team ;))

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The comparison to Dolson is apt. It is easy to forget that the expectations for her, at best, was that she would be a utility center. I dare anyone to claim that they saw a future AA in her.
I certainly didn't see her as a utility player, she was a McD AA. I figured she would be a starter and a very good player for UCONN. 1st Team AA, no probably beyond my thoughts on her, but I could see her getting to 2nd, 3rd team.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yes, I'm quite certain that a kid whose lifelong dream has [apparently] been to play at UCONN is now wondering whether or not she made the right decision to make her commitment, based on a grand total of 1 or possibly 2 posts (in a thread with more than 100) that could be construed as "negative." On a fan message board. Yep, that sure would be enough for me to reconsider my lifelong dream.

Please.

A couple people make comparisons to M Gardler. ONE talked about how Geno might well have had a talk with her about a limited role and/or limited playing time, and that she will still enjoy the ride. I count this as a 'negative' post. Others draw comparisons to Dolson. Big whoop.

Do you perhaps mean, "Let's all try to make sure that we all chime in uniformly with the equivalent of verbal jumping jacks and hand-clapping"..? There's plenty of positivity in this thread, Tony; and those who ventured to make comparisons to Dolson or Gardler (the nerve!) were hardly throwing Kyla under the bus.

Your 'admonishment' indicates to me that you are genuinely annoyed by the so-called negativity in this thread. Well, in my case--and this is probably a not-so-popular position on the Yard--the annoyance works the other way. This thread is hardly a poster-child for bad behavior by posters, cheap shots, or negativity that would cause it to need anyone's lecture, let alone cause a player to think about going elsewhere.
Thanks Mike, I thought I was gonna have to say something similar. But you've covered it very well.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Well Dolson had great skills (footwork, touch, competitiveness) when she came in. She was a McD's AA. You could (well I could) tell she had the potential to be a very good player before she got to UCONN. Won't say I saw her as a 1st Team AA, but I thought she could be very good. (maybe 2nd team ;))

Reportedly, this kid has the exact same though in terms of her strengths; in fact, that's her forte. I get that Dolson is 6'5 and that's a huge advantage, but this kid seems to have a slightly more athleticism to her. She also has a completely developed work ethic, which is something Dolson had to learn (according to her and Geno). To her credit, she learned very very quickly.

For the record, I never said (nor think) that Kyla is going to be as good as Dolson, I just said she has a lot of similar tools to work with. The height thing is very significant of course. Kyla seems to be in better shape and is more aggressive than Dolson was coming in. Kyla doesn't bring to mind McClaren at all.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
UConnCat said:
Irwin's AAU coach is Tina Thomas, mom of former Maryland AA Alyssa Thomas. Here's her take courtesy of Rich Elliott:
http://blog.ctnews.com/elliott/2014/10/22/thomas-believes-uconn-a-good-fit-for-irwin/

So going into her sophomore year I played at the highest level so she was playing upcoming seniors and she was only going to be a sophomore. And she held her own. It was pretty impressive. Her mom taught her well. Her mom played at Penn State. Her mom knows the game extremely well, and she’s a coach’s kid. So I knew she’d play big. Her dream was to play at Connecticut so hat’s off to her.

“She’s just one of those kids that’s a coach’s daughter. She knows the game so well. She knows so much about it. The little things that most kids just don’t know she does know. She plays hard, 110 percent, whether we’re killing a team or it’s a very competitive game. And she’s loved by all of her teammates because she’s just one of those kids that she’s cheering whether she’s in the game or sitting on the bench. I’ve never seen a kid like her in that she gets the whole bench rallied up. It’s really a neat thing to see.’’

“She’s Geno’s kind of kid in the sense that whatever he asks her to do she’s going to do it and run through a brick wall through and through,’’ Thomas said. “She’s that kind of kid. She doesn’t get down on herself. If she can’t do something she’s going to work at it until she can do it. She’s that kind of kid.’’

Man if this young lady can sing I'm telling you we've got ourselves another Stefanie - except her name is Kyla

Reaction Score
Have to remember that Lawlor is a walk-on and Tuck could just say she is going to enter the WNBA draft in 2016 along with Moriah and Stewy… She could possibly be a top 5 pick that year and could consider it (don't kill me lol just saying it is a possibility.)
What? Tuck pass up the opportunity to become the first WCBB player with five N.C.s as a player. I hope not. :eek:

45 TO GO

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I gotta say if I was Irwin or her parents I would be second guessing my verbal right about now. What do you think they are thinking about some of these posts and their daughter hasn't even come yet and is only 16 yrs old? How can you pass judgement on a kid who hasn't practiced or played a game yet? I remember the chatter about Stef being to big and to slow. I remember the chatter about Maria Conlon to slow and cant score. I remember the chatter about Mel Thomas. I feel terrible for Irwin and her parents and coaches who are all excited about her coming to UConn and reading this board of fans who care to voice negative opinions. I can bet you one thing. If the negative opinions were from a Tenn fan some of the UConn fans would be going crazy on them. Lets try to look at the positive side as some posters have. This girl has a lot going for her and I prefer to wait and see how she develops over the next couple of years.

Tony; With all due respect, I think they would be more inclined to think something like; "Who are these yahoos and what do they know about basketball?" They probably read the Boneyard, but also probably take it just as seriously as it deserves to be. My guess is that Geno has seen a kid who is under the radar but has a lot of upside, and thinks it will be fun and rewarding to see if he can turn her into another Dolson. Or maybe McClaren, which would not be at all bad.

Reaction Score
Tony; With all due respect, I think they would be more inclined to think something like; "Who are these yahoos and what do they know about basketball?" They probably read the Boneyard, but also probably take it just as seriously as it deserves to be. My guess is that Geno has seen a kid who is under the radar but has a lot of upside, and thinks it will be fun and rewarding to see if he can turn her into another Dolson. Or maybe McClaren, which would not be at all bad.
Who knows, other than Geno, but to me she seems like more than just a "fun project." All indications are she is already a really good player with good size, good skills, and a lot of upside. Coach's daughter, gym rat work ethic, smart, driven, passes the "intangibles" test, and LOVES UCONN. She's being put in the best possible situation for her to become really really good. Only time will tell on the really really good, but to me it looks like that's the plan - from her side and UCONN's.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
What bothers me is when a recruit is looking at UConn or verbals to UConn posters post things not thinking ahead to what the recruit, their parents or coach are thinking. Some posts which refer to lack of playtime, or coming off the bench or not playing many minutes aren't encouraging. Now as freshman and sophs starting may not be an option but indicating that and providing ammunition for opposing coaches isn't smart imo. Sometimes I cringe when I see posts and I know some of you do too. Now some of you will say but Tony parents don't read the board...Wrong, but Tony coaches don't read the board Wrong but Tony were fans and if they listen to us well... Wrong. My answer to that is remember what Tenn did with their 37 page NCAA violation. They took quotes right from the Boneyard and CT Newspapers. Before you post something think of it this way. If you were sitting with the recruit, their parents, Geno and the coaching staff would you say it? You most likely would say nothing. The coaches, kids and parents all know what kids weaknesses are, they don't need a fan to post it to their board. Kids are thrilled when Geno offers them. Think about that . The greatest Womens BB program in the country with a Hall of Fame coach asks a recruit to play for him only to have their fans do analysis by paralysis. Think of it this way. If it was your daughter how would you feel. Yeah I always try to be positive but that's almost impossible because Im human but I try and I try to think of others feelings and what effect my remarks would have on them Geno UConn and the program. So if 1 person says something then that's to much because accomplishes nothing. I love this team as do you and yes theyre our girls and we love them. Thanks for reading this

Reaction Score
TobyC hits the nail on the head. I've been following this board for about two years. Some people have to lighten up. Lets enjoy today and worry about tomorrow later. Too soon, this great run will end as all good things do.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Height wise and skills wise Kyla may be closer to Kaili McLaren than Dolson. Kaili had a very good career at UCONN playing out of the high post. Kyla moves better than Kaili was able to do.
I'd take that in a heartbeat. Kaili was a top 20 kid, top 15 IIRC. I hope she's able to achieve something like that BUT...

Not every recruit can be a top 10 kid. In a way we've been spoiled the last year or so. Nurse was the last kid to verbal from 2014, and she's easily a top 15 if not a top 10 kid. Butler transferred - a huge need for UCONN filled. Then Collier, Boykin and Samuelson. Boykin has dropped in the rankings but she was a top 10 kid when she verbaled. Then Dangerfield - a top 3 kid. Then Irwin...

She's the first kid in a long time who isn't a legit top 10, or close to it. BUT UCONN is her dream school and she is a super hard worker and a coaches kid. UCONN can't realistically recruit all super stars. They need role players who are willing to work hard and do the little things. I like the verbal a lot and know she will have a wonderful career at UCONN...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Having seen both, Eric, Kaili is who I think is a very fair comparison the more I have thought of it.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
The older I get, the more these projections depress me. I have to force myself to stay alive to see if these things come true. A heavy burden. But one you owe to your public, Sr. Ba'baro. .Please, no projections for some eighth grader, way too much to ask. I learned today I have severe sleep apnea actually narcolepsy, mebbe? . I was warned to stay away from Husky football - Always good advice! I have seasons tickets - because of the danger that I could fall asleep when they are on offense. Not to worry; the groans and screams of outraged dismay will wake you up pronto. The antidote is the first half of any female Husky hoops games and the last four minutes to see how the end of the bench is doing. The end of the bench, as noted in another thread, is getting farther and farther from the center. I guess you nave not been paying attention, which is what novelists are supposed to do. Get a grip!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
What bothers me is when a recruit is looking at UConn or verbals to UConn posters post things not thinking ahead to what the recruit, their parents or coach are thinking. Some posts which refer to lack of playtime, or coming off the bench or not playing many minutes aren't encouraging. Now as freshman and sophs starting may not be an option but indicating that and providing ammunition for opposing coaches isn't smart imo. Sometimes I cringe when I see posts and I know some of you do too. Now some of you will say but Tony parents don't read the board...Wrong, but Tony coaches don't read the board Wrong but Tony were fans and if they listen to us well... Wrong. My answer to that is remember what Tenn did with their 37 page NCAA violation. They took quotes right from the Boneyard and CT Newspapers. Before you post something think of it this way. If you were sitting with the recruit, their parents, Geno and the coaching staff would you say it? You most likely would say nothing. The coaches, kids and parents all know what kids weaknesses are, they don't need a fan to post it to their board. Kids are thrilled when Geno offers them. Think about that . The greatest Womens BB program in the country with a Hall of Fame coach asks a recruit to play for him only to have their fans do analysis by paralysis. Think of it this way. If it was your daughter how would you feel. Yeah I always try to be positive but that's almost impossible because Im human but I try and I try to think of others feelings and what effect my remarks would have on them Geno UConn and the program. So if 1 person says something then that's to much because accomplishes nothing. I love this team as do you and yes theyre our girls and we love them. Thanks for reading this

I think that we should insulate all our players -- "our girls" -- from any form of criticism. And their parents as well.

For starters, have the staff at Gampel and XL empowered to remove (forcibly, if need be) any patron who expresses any negative expression (boo, catcall, groan, sneer, etc.,) when a UConn Husky misses a bunny, flubs a defensive assignment, commits a turnover or (God forbid!) commits a dumb foul.

Next, toss out the First Amendment and exercise tighter censorship over message boards, print and tv media. We can't continue to tolerate negativity, can we?

Unfortunately, our reach is limited. Opposing coaches and players, plus their fans and followers, probably won't go along. Then we'll have to take them to court.

Gotta suppress this damned negativity!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I think that we should insulate all our players -- "our girls" -- from any form of criticism. And their parents as well.

For starters, have the staff at Gampel and XL empowered to remove (forcibly, if need be) any patron who expresses any negative expression (boo, catcall, groan, sneer, etc.,) when a UConn Husky misses a bunny, flubs a defensive assignment, commits a turnover or (God forbid!) commits a dumb foul.

Next, toss out the First Amendment and exercise tighter censorship over message boards, print and tv media. We can't continue to tolerate negativity, can we?

Unfortunately, our reach is limited. Opposing coaches and players, plus their fans and followers, probably won't go along. Then we'll have to take them to court.

Gotta suppress this damned negativity!
LOL now that's funny.

Reaction Score
I sympathize to some extent - we don't need to go on and on about a player's weight, or endless speculation that they might just be a role player, or whatever. Especially stuff that might scare away future recruits. On the other hand, though, this is just a fan message board, and a pretty mild-mannered one at that. If an athlete wants to be "big time", they have to learn to deal with the media. I.E. If you want to play for Yankees, you gotta be able to deal with the back pages of the NY Post & Daily News. There's a certain amount of grief that comes with notoriety. Reality is that when you're in the fish bowl, you can't just get one without the other.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm reading all of this back and forth palaver amongst the intelligentsia of the board, sprinkled with the occasional interloper/not so intelligentsia like me and a thought arises:

When Kia Nurse committed a solid crew of us said yeah hey welcome aboard. That was followed by a bunch of stuff that boiled down to well I don't know, those videos are grainy, I think she stands up too straight....

Now what is funny about that is the rest of the WCBB nation has accepted that she is the point guard in waiting behind Mo.

Into this walks a kid 3 years away who is 6' 2", actually likes banging inside, has great foot work and moves well left and right, seems to have midrange stuff, is well regarded by a premier AAU coach, has very good passing skills... Frankly, she reminds me of Tuck.

Works for me. Look forward to seeing you in UConn Blue Kyla.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Now what is funny about that is the rest of the WCBB nation has accepted that she is the point guard in waiting behind Mo.

Into this walks a kid 3 years away who is 6' 2", actually likes banging inside, has great foot work and moves well left and right, seems to have midrange stuff, is well regarded by a premier AAU coach, has very good passing skills... Frankly, she reminds me of Tuck.

Tuck was seen as a premiere talent going back to her freshmen year. At this point Irwin is not seen that way by evaluators. Doesn't mean she can't be/won't be good or even really good, but all we can do is hypothesize based on available information. Natalie Butler wasn't super highly regarded in HS either and she'd probably be ranked differently in retrospect, so we'll see.

On a sidenote, I don't think Nurse will play point for UConn. Think she's more of a small forward who can play some point. It's Jefferson and then perhaps Edwards before Dangerfield takes over, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom