Kyla Irwin Commits to UConn | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Kyla Irwin Commits to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think some of the tepid comments on Kyla may be similar to my reaction when I started reading about her strengths... coach's daughter, hard word worker, great teammate, etc., as opposed to lighting fast first step, deadly 3 point shooter, rebounding machine, 6' 5" tall etc. The very positive news is we have two verbal commits for 2016, looking for one more post for 2016, and focused on 2017 recruits.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
An example of 'expectations' and HS player evaluations is currently at Uconn and confidently predicted to be the next great center by some BYers - Butler - she was on no one's radar and didn't appear in HGs top 100.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
I think some of the tepid comments on Kyla may be similar to my reaction when I started reading about her strengths... coach's daughter, hard word worker, great teammate, etc., as opposed to lighting fast first step, deadly 3 point shooter, rebounding machine, 6' 5" tall etc. The very positive news is we have two verbal commits for 2016, looking for one more post for 2016, and focused on 2017 recruits.

Those words about Kyla were followed by...19.6 points, 12.7 rebounds, 3.0 assists, 1.5 blocks and 2.0 steals per game in the large school division in a large state. Also, a second team all-state selection as a sophomore, with an 80% FT average. Sounds like some demonstrated potential there.

Haven't seen this video linked yet. Shows some vertical, turns to both sides on the block (but the shots she'll take with the left hand later are now almost always done w/both hands), decent handle & speed with the ball, aggressive defense, and quite strong. And only a sophomore in this video.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I gotta say if I was Irwin or her parents I would be second guessing my verbal right about now. What do you think they are thinking about some of these posts and their daughter hasn't even come yet and is only 16 yrs old? How can you pass judgement on a kid who hasn't practiced or played a game yet? I remember the chatter about Stef being to big and to slow. I remember the chatter about Maria Conlon to slow and cant score. I remember the chatter about Mel Thomas. I feel terrible for Irwin and her parents and coaches who are all excited about her coming to UConn and reading this board of fans who care to voice negative opinions. I can bet you one thing. If the negative opinions were from a Tenn fan some of the UConn fans would be going crazy on them. Lets try to look at the positive side as some posters have. This girl has a lot going for her and I prefer to wait and see how she develops over the next couple of years.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Haven't seen this video linked yet. Shows some vertical, turns to both sides on the block (but the shots she'll take with the left hand later are now almost always done w/both hands), decent handle & speed with the ball, aggressive defense, and quite strong. And only a sophomore in this video.

I posted that yesterday before someone pointed out that it's not Irwin in the video. Shame too because the girl spotlighted looks really good.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
What I meant about "dreading" your comments was regarding winning streak predictions! :) Maybe I should have used a different word than "dread" because that sounds negative, and it wasn't meant that way!!
Eric I do believe that UConn will not lose a game as long as Breanna is healthy and playing for UConn. Now with that said I expect UConn starters to be healthy too. I don't see a team that can beat UConn and most of the top teams from the past few seasons have lost their nucleus and star players. After Breanna and MoJeff graduate we still have Tuck and Butler. That is going to be a fierce combo and add in next years bigs and this years guards and you have an awesome team. For now I need to see someone step up and be the go to play but that's 3 years away. UConn has the talent and coaching and go to players for the next 2 years.

Reaction Score
I think I will have a look at her myself when State College plays in the Hershey area. They should also have a game in Lewistown. From what I have read it sounds like she is a really really good player.

Reaction Score
She seems to have the body, temperament, basketball skills and IQ to play significant minutes at UCONN. She will have two years to prepare herself.

The comparison to Dolson is apt. It is easy to forget that the expectations for her, at best, was that she would be a utility center. I dare anyone to claim that they saw a future AA in her.

And, for someone whose professional goal is to coach, what a unique opportunity!

The comparison is more apt if one reads the internet scouting comments on her game; apparently, she throws a dynamite outlet pass with range to mid court, which was one of Dolson's trademarks. She is also easily 6'2', based on the pics from her visit. I would think that the UConn staff has earned the respect of everyone as evaluators of talent several levels above those compiled by the media; after all, the MLB draft never goes according to the BA rankings.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I gotta say if I was Irwin or her parents I would be second guessing my verbal right about now. What do you think they are thinking about some of these posts and their daughter hasn't even come yet and is only 16 yrs old? How can you pass judgement on a kid who hasn't practiced or played a game yet? I remember the chatter about Stef being to big and to slow. I remember the chatter about Maria Conlon to slow and cant score. I remember the chatter about Mel Thomas. I feel terrible for Irwin and her parents and coaches who are all excited about her coming to UConn and reading this board of fans who care to voice negative opinions.

Yes, I'm quite certain that a kid whose lifelong dream has [apparently] been to play at UCONN is now wondering whether or not she made the right decision to make her commitment, based on a grand total of 1 or possibly 2 posts (in a thread with more than 100) that could be construed as "negative." On a fan message board. Yep, that sure would be enough for me to reconsider my lifelong dream.

Please.

A couple people make comparisons to M Gardler. ONE talked about how Geno might well have had a talk with her about a limited role and/or limited playing time, and that she will still enjoy the ride. I count this as a 'negative' post. Others draw comparisons to Dolson. Big whoop.

I can bet you one thing. If the negative opinions were from a Tenn fan some of the UConn fans would be going crazy on them. Lets try to look at the positive side as some posters have. This girl has a lot going for her and I prefer to wait and see how she develops over the next couple of years.

Do you perhaps mean, "Let's all try to make sure that we all chime in uniformly with the equivalent of verbal jumping jacks and hand-clapping"..? There's plenty of positivity in this thread, Tony; and those who ventured to make comparisons to Dolson or Gardler (the nerve!) were hardly throwing Kyla under the bus.

Your 'admonishment' indicates to me that you are genuinely annoyed by the so-called negativity in this thread. Well, in my case--and this is probably a not-so-popular position on the Yard--the annoyance works the other way. This thread is hardly a poster-child for bad behavior by posters, cheap shots, or negativity that would cause it to need anyone's lecture, let alone cause a player to think about going elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

There was also these in the description of her strengths: fantastic outlet passer, great hands, great vision, battles relentlessly under the boards, range shooter, very fundamentally sound, played every position for her team in high school (point forward style).

Also, she played 3 years 'up' on her AAU team, ie with girls 3 years older than her, and according to her AAU coach, held her own.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Listen - I think looking at recruits, most of whom we have never seen and are using admittedly flawed rating services as a guide, and saying a) she has not made any significant noise yet at a national level, and b) she is arriving in the class after 3 players of similar height who have made significant noise nationally and are universally rated in the top 15 or so; therefore she may have a hard time finding minutes is not being unreasonable.
At the same time - I do think dismissing her potential by comparing her to some quite inconsequential Uconn player from the past is a little harsh at this stage of her career. (I am not talking about Gardler but one of the other comparisons made.)
I don't think anyone is thinking she is the next Maya Moore or Tina Charles, but Geno and the coaches want her and she really really wants to be on the team - that is good enough for me. And based on the fact they have offered her (with I suspect a pretty sure idea that she would accept) when they are still reportedly in the running for a number of other highly ranked and rated recruits suggests that they do not think she is chopped liver as her accepting has probably crossed some of those more highly rated recruits off their list.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I gotta say if I was Irwin or her parents I would be second guessing my verbal right about now. What do you think they are thinking about some of these posts and their daughter hasn't even come yet and is only 16 yrs old? How can you pass judgement on a kid who hasn't practiced or played a game yet?

They don't seem like the type. She sounds like the type of kid who's motivated to prove people wrong (a la Stef).

Reaction Score
There was also these in the description of her strengths: fantastic outlet passer, great hands, great vision, battles relentlessly under the boards, range shooter, very fundamentally sound, played every position for her team in high school (point forward style).

Also, she played 3 years 'up' on her AAU team, ie with girls 3 years older than her, and according to her AAU coach, held her own.

My post was not to disparage her in any way. I was just trying to offer an explanation on why some people, myself included, didn't have the same reaction that we had on say Samuelson's verbal. Also I saw where her rating was 3 stars vs 5 stars of our 2015 recruits. That said, I ended by saying I was very happy with our 2016 verbals.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
My post was not to disparage her in any way. I was just trying to offer an explanation on why some people, myself included, didn't have the same reaction that we had on say Samuelson's verbal. Also I saw where her rating was 3 stars vs 5 stars of our 2015 recruits. That said, I ended by saying I was very happy with our 2016 verbals.

No, I got you. I was mainly pointing out that in general (not necessarily you), people sometimes lose the forest for the trees.

Reaction Score
She seems to have the body, temperament, basketball skills and IQ to play significant minutes at UCONN. She will have two years to prepare herself.

The comparison to Dolson is apt. It is easy to forget that the expectations for her, at best, was that she would be a utility center. I dare anyone to claim that they saw a future AA in her.

I've seen the underlined below on occassion on this site and it is still baffling to me why others are so extremely shcoked she could be an a/a. I can see if someone were to question 1st team a/a and the DPOY. But here is what you had with Dolson:

1--- Regarded as the best center in her class.
2--- Not only tall but big meaning as soon as she stepped on the court she had an advantage. Of course many that big can't get it- but she was number 1 center for a reason and ..
3--- For her size she also had a soft touch.
4--- For her size she could not only low post but step outisde a bit you saw she had a touch in high school beyond 5 feet.
5--- While some big players can shoot from the outside they are a "fish out of water" to do anything else with the ball out there. In part what made Dolson special is she could pass BOTH in the low post and on the perimeter along with shoot from both. If I recall correctly they mentioned she was a good passer.

So we give the best coach in WCBB all this talent and we expect Geno will continue to recruit well - meaning other players will also make Stef look good. So you don't think all this is an a/a (2nd team or 3rd team) probability? IMO it's one thing to say "I didn't think so. " But I find it baffling that you can be shocked. This isn't 6'1 Kaili McLaren. Stef was 6'5. Big and tall with skill. You "give" Geno "this" --it is going to translate into an a/a an awful lot of times.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I've seen the underlined below on occassion on this site and it is still baffling to me why others are so extremely shcoked she could be an a/a. I can see if someone were to question 1st team a/a and the DPOY. But here is what you had with Dolson:

1--- Regarded as the best center in her class.
2--- Not only tall but big meaning as soon as she stepped on the court she had an advantage. Of course many that big can't get it- but she was number 1 center for a reason and ..
3--- For her size she also had a soft touch.
4--- For her size she could not only low post but step outisde a bit you saw she had a touch in high school beyond 5 feet.
5--- While some big players can shoot from the outside they are a "fish out of water" to do anything else with the ball out there. In part what made Dolson special is she could pass BOTH in the low post and on the perimeter along with shoot from both. If I recall correctly they mentioned she was a good passer.

So we give the best coach in WCBB all this talent and we expect Geno will continue to recruit well - meaning other players will also make Stef look good. So you don't think all this is an a/a (2nd team or 3rd team) probability? IMO it's one thing to say "I didn't think so. " But I find it baffling that you can be shocked. This isn't 6'1 Kaili McLaren. Stef was 6'5. Big and tall with skill. You "give" Geno "this" --it is going to translate into an a/a an awful lot of times.

You have made the case for Dolson as an AA convincingly. Now make the case for Irwin as a future AA. I'll give you a head start:

She was selected by Geno in consultation with his esteemed staff to be offered a scholarship to play for UConn (no better endorsement than that);

She is 6'2" now (may grow), a coach's daughter, and highly motivated;

She has scored 900+ points in two years and projects to 2,000+ in HS against good competition;

Knowledgeable people (e.g., AAU coach) have already attested to her skills; and,

She has two more years to work hard (while well-coached by her mom) to further develop her game.​

Add to those impressive bona fides the projections by some Boneyarders (who have not yet seen her play) that she will replicate Dolson or Gardler and attain AA status.

Looks like a "can't miss" recruit to me.

Here's your chance. Post a guarantee that Kyla will be an AA.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
You have made the case for Dolson as an AA convincingly. Now make the case for Irwin as a future AA. I'll give you a head start:

She was selected by Geno in consultation with his esteemed staff to be offered a scholarship to play for UConn (no better endorsement than that);

She has scored 900+ points in two years and projects to 2,000+ in HS against good competition;

Knowledgeable people (e.g., AAU coach) have already attested to her skills; and,

She has two more years to work hard (while well-coached by her mom) to further develop her game.​

Add to those impressive bona fides the projections by some Boneyarders (who have not yet seen her play) that she will replicate Dolson or Gardler and attain AA status.

The older I get, the more these projections depress me. I have to force myself to stay alive to see if these things come true. A heavy burden. Please, no projections for some eighth grader, way too much to ask. I learned today I have severe sleep apnea. I was warned to stay away from Husky football - I have seasons tickets - because of the danger that I could fall asleep when they are on offense. The antidote is the first half of any female Husky hoops games and the last four minutes to see how the end of the bench is doing.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The older I get, the more these projections depress me. I have to force myself to stay alive to see if these things come true. A heavy burden. Please, no projections for some eighth grader, way too much to ask. I learned today I have severe sleep apnea. I was warned to stay away from Husky football - I have seasons tickets - because of the danger that I could fall asleep when they are on offense. The antidote is the first half of any female Husky hoops games and the last four minutes to see how the end of the bench is doing.
It's one of the reasons I've weary of the board and can't wait for actual games.

Reaction Score

Can't do it. I haven't seen her play. I'll wait for her sr year when teams collapse on her and instead of hearing how "she played up to the competition" I want to see how her skills translate in terms of domination as a sr. At 6'2 she is not like Dolson though. Dolson was 6'5 and big - wide shouldered. The moment Dolson stepped on the court there was decided advantage which I suppose why she was ranked the top center. I want to read and see her evolve.

Darn glad to have her. Love what I've read. Seems like a bulldog. Dolson's advanatges were more pronounced in terms of a/a. Don't know right now of her.

I have made two predictions just watching limited play.

I think after NCollier leaves after her sr year she'll be among the 5 best players in wcbb. From what I've seen briefly and read and with her size, athelticism and skill - I can't understand why she was left off - I know she was close but still "she has it" in regards to everything you'd expect fom a 6'1 player from skill, handle, awareness, athleticism and toughness.

The other of course Kia Nurse. Watching the vidoes of her in Canada - I had trouble differentiating her - in terms of recognition vs. her other teammates- I thought a player or two had similar build. But from what I see she'll be at least very good. Nearly eveyone thinks that on here so not earth-shattering- from very good to great. I think over the next 4 years she has a 1st team a/a ceiling to an honroable mention a/a. Her greatness or limitation imo will be determined as to how well she can shoot the ball. I think she has everything else whcih imo locks her into the "very good" category at least.

What about you?

Reaction Score
Wasn't referring to anyone in particular, just the general tone of one train of thought.

And don't mistake my confidence in the girl as a keener insight. What I read about her smelled like Dolson. I think she probably even has a more developed work ethic than Dolson coming in; Dolson was a very very quick learner though.

But I'm usually upbeat about incoming players. Win some, lose some.
When I read about a player that has some skills and knows the game and is continually working relentlessly to make themselves the best they can be, I'm pumped. Butler is another kid who has been talked about in exactly those terms and I'm hopeful that in both cases we're going to see them become big attributes to the program. Time will tell but I surely wouldn't be shocked to see it happen.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score

And, for someone whose professional goal is to coach, what a unique opportunity!
As hoophuskee pointed out, Dolson was pretty highly regarded, so it's not that surprising that she was an AA in college. While only ranked 39th in Hoopgurlz, she was their second highest ranked center. She was ranked higher by the other services: 24th by Blue Star and 12th by ASGR. Finally, she was a McDonald's High School All-American. Stef also developed very well at UConn, which is a tribute to the efforts and persistence of Stefanie and the coaching staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom