Koby Brea entered the portal. Please please Coach Hurley | Page 33 | The Boneyard

Koby Brea entered the portal. Please please Coach Hurley

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I always thought we had to have 2 out of the 3 and that was the aim going in. I still think we would take Brea though, we just don't have to be aggressive any longer. 3 out of 3 presents other potential issues as well, but Kentucky thinks this is still a 2 horse race. And I don't think anyone on UConn or Brea's end will do anything to dissuade Kentucky of that right now.

Two out of the three?

Who are the three? Mahaney, Brea….

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Two out of the three?

Who are the three? Mahaney, Brea….
McNeely, Not a portal obviously but a roster need. All three came up in a quick window for decision times (although weve been on McNeely since decommit and I think we were in great shape the whole time, nothing is a given in this arena) and provisions for different scenarios need to be planned for, like what if we didn't get McNeely, then the press on landing BOTH Brea and Mahaney becomes more important.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
McNeely, Not a portal obviously but a roster need. All three came up in a quick window for decision times (although weve been on McNeely since decommit and I think we were in great shape the whole time, nothing is a given in this arena) and provisions for different scenarios need to be planned for, like what if we didn't get McNeely, then the press on landing BOTH Brea and Mahaney becomes more important.

Oh.

Well, we got two of the three lol.

Part of my thinking is really just that I thought UConn was perfect for McNeeley and Mahaney as soon as they became available. I’ve seen quite a bit of St. Mary’s and Dayton and I just like Mahaney more.

Brea will do well anywhere, but the ball really stops when it gets to him and I don’t know how that would work here. (Granted, when the ball goes in the basket at a 50% clip from three, stopping at Brea is not the worst thing…)

I think we’re done here, save something remarkable. I think Diarra’s back and I think there’s a one in five chance Alex is back.

Right now, I think our roster is terrific. If Karaban comes back, it’s ridiculous. Just ridiculous.

Reaction Score
I always thought we had to have 2 out of the 3 and that was the aim going in. I still think we would take Brea though, we just don't have to be aggressive any longer. 3 out of 3 presents other potential issues as well, but Kentucky thinks this is still a 2 horse race. And I don't think anyone on UConn or Brea's end will do anything to dissuade Kentucky of that right now, thus they are going to pay.
Yes, and with 2 of the 3 in place they are now re-assessing what the 3rd player should look like. Brea is still attractive, but has both a financial cost and he overlaps with current players.

It will be interesting to see which way they go. We keep thinking offense, but maybe they look for someone who stands out defensively.

Reaction Score
I hate these takes. They’re just vapid.

Like, he spent four years at Dayton, won the A10’s Sixth Man Award and he’s visited UConn and Kentucky - how in the world is that creating his own hype?

UConn got someone they wanted more and now Kentucky has a better shot at him. If Kentucky got Mahaney, UConn would have a better shot at Brea. That’s how it works.

Your take is mean, stupid and pointless.
Sheesh sensitive much? I didn’t kill his dog, All I’m saying is that there are rumors that the kid is asking for ridiculous money as a guy coming off the bench and that the blue blood interest is clearly not is a big as was reported, I was also half joking, poking fun at twitter rumors. you need to relax.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oh.

Part of my thinking is really just that I thought UConn was perfect for McNeeley and Mahaney as soon as they became available. I’ve seen quite a bit of St. Mary’s and Dayton and I just like Mahaney more.

Brea will do well anywhere, but the ball really stops when it gets to him and I don’t know how that would work here. (Granted, when the ball goes in the basket at a 50% clip from three, stopping at Brea is not the worst thing…)

I think we’re done here, save something remarkable. I think Diarra’s back and I think there’s a one in five chance Alex is back.

Right now, I think our roster is terrific. If Karaban comes back, it’s ridiculous. Just ridiculous.

I would think if Karaban was leaning towards leaving that we would still be after Brea. If no Karaban, then McNeeley will start at the 4 and Brea would be a good 3/stretch 4 off the bench. If Karaban comes back, I think Brea would be stuck behind Stewart, McNeeley, and Karaban.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Sheesh sensitive much? I didn’t kill his dog, All I’m saying is that there are rumors that the kid is asking for ridiculous money as a guy coming off the bench and that the blue blood interest is clearly not is a big as was reported, you need to relax.
He had tons of interest from 5 of the biggest brands in the sport. You’re talking out of your pooper.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Sheesh sensitive much? I didn’t kill his dog, All I’m saying is that there are rumors that the kid is asking for ridiculous money as a guy coming off the bench and that the blue blood interest is clearly not is a big as was reported, I was also half joking, poking fun at twitter rumors. you need to relax.

You need to consider having more unexpressed thoughts.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think Diarra’s back and I think there’s a one in five chance Alex is back.
What are you basing that on? I kind of see him in a similar position to Donovan last year. He could leave now or stay a year and improve his prospects. The latter probably makes more sense.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I would think if Karaban was leaning towards leaving that we would still be after Brea. If no Karaban, then McNeeley will start at the 4 and Brea would be a good 3/stretch 4 off the bench. If Karaban comes back, I think Brea would be stuck behind Stewart, McNeeley, and Karaban.

Someone somewhere suggested that if we thought Karaban was not coming back, we could look for a bigger body in the front court. (More of a tradition forward than a stretch.)

That kinda makes sense to me

August_West

Reaction Score
Oh.

Oh yeah, we got the two I wanted for sure. Perfect perfect fits and I believe McNeeley is going to be an all-timer Frosh. You could not use AI to mold a 2024 UConn player any more perfect than Liam McNeeley.

Agreed on our roster, and also agree with the poster above who mentioned we will probably adjust our sites to someone further down the depth chart after the decisions of Alex and Hass. If we get Diarra back we are saddled up, need that so bad. Alex would be the cherry on top, but like you I don't expect it. If we get get that too you might as well write the trip to San Antonio in pen instead of pencil.

August_West

Reaction Score
Says the guy with 20,000 comments. Go outside, it’s nice this time of year.

Oh dear lord, tap out now dude, while you have the chance. Trust me.

Kevin Im Out GIF by Gogglebox Australia

August_West

Reaction Score
What are you basing that on? I kind of see him in a similar position to Donovan last year. He could leave now or stay a year and improve his prospects. The latter probably makes more sense.

Let's use last years team as an example. We had both Andre and Tristen test the waters and retain eligibility while doing so. Andre stayed in, Tristen came back.

This feels more like an Andre than a Tristen.

Karaban is an old soph. Older than Clingan by like a Year and a half. He will be 22 in November. His value to the NBA draft will most likely never be higher than it is right now. Coming off 2 titles in 2 years, he doesn't have anything to prove that he can't prove at NBA workouts. He still may come back for a lot of reasons but improving his prospects is not one of them.

Reaction Score
I think an early indicator will be which group Alex gets sent to. If he goes with the "top guys" like Ajax - we had better prepare ourselves. If he goes with the "other group" like Newton - we can likely rest easy.

Reaction Score
Let's use last years team as an example. We had both Andre and Tristen test the waters and retain eligibility while doing so. Andre stayed in, Tristen came back.

This feels more like an Andre than a Tristen.

Karaban is an old soph. Older than Clingan by like a Year and a half. He will be 22 in November. His value to the NBA draft will most likely never be higher than it is right now. Coming off 2 titles in 2 years, he doesn't have anything to prove that he can't prove at NBA workouts. He still may come back for a lot of reasons but improving his prospects is not one of them.
I disagree. Another season of showing he can put it on the deck more and become the go to scorer would help him as would showing more defensive versatility and showing he's a knock down shooter. He wouldn't make the NBA now, another season benefitted Tristen and it could benefit AK.

August_West

Reaction Score
I think an early indicator will be which group Alex gets sent to. If he goes with the "top guys" like Ajax - we had better prepare ourselves. If he goes with the "other group" like Newton - we can likely rest easy.

That's the other thing. This is a weak draft. Like historically weak. Next years draft has a lot more potential in it. It's a good time for Alex. I still want him back. But I think everyone will see what we've been seeing for 2 years. The kid is a winner and an indispensable connector.

August_West

Reaction Score
I disagree. Another season of showing he can put it on the deck more and become the go to scorer would help him as would showing more defensive versatility and showing he's a knock down shooter. He wouldn't make the NBA now, another season benefitted Tristen and it could benefit AK.
It definitely benefitted Tristen no doubt. But how much? Do you think Tristen is a first rounder in this upcoming draft?

Reaction Score
Karaban's situation is more like AJ's not DC, DC would have likely been a late first rounder if he came out. I don't see AK's situation changing much if he comes back, still likely a 2nd rounder given his limitations.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom