Koby Brea entered the portal. Please please Coach Hurley | Page 31 | The Boneyard

Koby Brea entered the portal. Please please Coach Hurley

Reaction Score
Heard he won’t be an option. Academics an issue
as a grad transfer? doesnt a grad transfer just enroll in a 1 year masters program since they already graduated from their former school, meaning they dont have to transfer any active credits? also this would really suck, where did you hear this?

Reaction Score
Both Brea and Maheney never made sense. My guess is the staff priortized Maheney and brought in Brea as insurance. The fact Brea is visiting Kentucky has to mean we are in good shape w Aidan.

Ding ding ding

Reaction Score
I think some of the hesitation may be on how well-rounded he is as a player. If you dig into his stats beyond the 3P%, things get a bit murky. A catch and shoot guy is great, but if that guy can't drive to the basket and get to the line, he might be of less value. If he's not a plus-defender, he may not fit into Dan's system as well.

To be clear, I don't know how much or little these points apply to Brea.

Reaction Score
I mean even looking at in an unbiased way, Kentucky doesn‘t have a roster built for winning. They have a bunch of portal guys, but zero consistency and no chemistry. Mark Pope’s player he brought from BYU hasn’t played ball in 2 years after coming of his mormon mission. In my eyes, not a team built for success.
If you are a player that thinks you haven't had the opportunity/playing time to show off your skills, Kentucky is probably an appealing landing spot because they NEED players and PT is plentiful at the moment.

If you're a player that already has an established skill set and want to fine-tune your game while chasing a title on a proven program that knows how to win (like, right now), UConn is a hard place to beat. NIL bag chasers need not apply.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Last year was well covered with guys who could handle the point Newton, Castle, and Diarra - with Cam I think fine in a pinch.

I mentioned Brea more as an example of them looking for a non-guard type in addition to a ball hander (to serve as backup point guard should Nowell or Diarra get injured). We differ on the need for such a player. I think it is a must (at least at a Cam level, likely better even if only an emergency level player - Bettencourt on the women's team).
Well, Bettencourt entered the portal...

Who else watched her earliest appearances when injuries & foul trouble required putting her into games where the opposition was like sharks smelling blood in the water?

The game clock couldn't run out fast enough.

Reaction Score
The last decade:
KY 0 championships
UCONN 3 championships

In Brea's lifetime:
KY 1 championship
UCONN 5 championships

If he's real about intentions, there is one choice
Unfortunately, I think “win a title” is just a cliche. Whatever any player says, the real meaning is “I want to get drafted as soon, and as high, as possible.”

Reaction Score
Maybe Hurley didnt't offer? Or maybe his desire to showcase his game, and win a championship, means he thinks he can do it in a less team-oriented system.

Reaction Score
I’m
Looks like the delay is on our side, not fair to take shots at the kid if that's true

That's weird. If the delay is related to not wanting to upset guys currently on the roster (Ball?), wouldn't we have thought about that before reaching out to Brea and Mahaney.

Leads me to believe we would look to bring in 1-2 guys regardless of the optics to existing players. Has to be something else.

Very peculiar all around.

Reaction Score
Looks like the delay is on our side, not fair to take shots at the k

I’m

That's weird. If the delay is related to not wanting to upset guys currently on the roster (Ball?), wouldn't we have thought about that before reaching out to Brea and Mahaney.

Leads me to believe we would look to bring in 1-2 guys regardless of the optics to existing players. Has to be something else.

Very peculiar all around.

There's seems to be something that the staff isn't keen/sold on... We can speculate all we want, but there's something amiss. If that's the case, then I trust DH immensely.

Reaction Score
Capture.JPG

Reaction Score
I do wonder if, with Mahaney committing, we'll get quick resolution one way or another, whether that's the staff cooling on Brea or putting on the full-court-press to complete our 2024-25 roster.

Reaction Score
Hard to say if the staff wanted both, or one or the other. We simply don't know.

Nor do we know about the asking price of the bag substantiated or not.

Reaction Score
I think with Reed, Mahaney, McNeeley in hand the staff banks the last "open" scholarship and waits to see what Karaban does (assuming Diarra is back)

Seems an expensive one year rental may not fit Hurley's vision

Reaction Score
Both Brea and Maheney never made sense. My guess is the staff priortized Maheney and brought in Brea as insurance. The fact Brea is visiting Kentucky has to mean we are in good shape w Aidan.

Brea and Mahaney together made a ton of sense before McNeeley signed on. Once we got Liam that could easily have changed plans. Though honestly I think Brea would still start (alongside McNeeley and Mahaney) if he came here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom