Koby Brea entered the portal. Please please Coach Hurley | Page 29 | The Boneyard

Koby Brea entered the portal. Please please Coach Hurley

caw

Reaction Score

Williams is a very solid big (in general) for Pope going into his fifth year. Not really a shooter, or passer. Not sure it's a great fit for how Pope ran things offensively at BYU, but maybe he surprises as a shooter, and passer.

Carr, on the other hand, seems like a very good fit for Pope's offense as a stretch four as a fifth year. Not a great passer either though.

Oweh is a good transfer as a junior but he isn't really a volume shooter from three, so it will be interesting to see if his percentages can maintain with more attempts under Pope's offense. His assist rate is pretty bad so far.

Chandler is a freshman so who knows, but he probably fits Pope's offense the best considering he was recruited to BYU.

Butler is a good defender but in four years at SDSU he has been a mediocre shooter. His A/TO rate is good but how he only averaged 3 assists per game is really not a good thing.

Of the four transfers, they all need a lesson in ball movement especially with how Pope coached offense at BYU. They also have Travis Perry who is the sole Cal recruit to stick (Kentucky high school player).

Overall those transfers don't seem to be great fits for Pope's offense (which was predicated on ball movement, screening and three point shooting) aside from Carr, but should improve his defensive schemes just by being more athletic.

Reaction Score
Williams is a very solid big (in general) for Pope going into his fifth year. Not really a shooter, or passer. Not sure it's a great fit for how Pope ran things offensively at BYU, but maybe he surprises as a shooter, and passer.

Carr, on the other hand, seems like a very good fit for Pope's offense as a stretch four as a fifth year. Not a great passer either though.

Oweh is a good transfer as a junior but he isn't really a volume shooter from three, so it will be interesting to see if his percentages can maintain with more attempts under Pope's offense. His assist rate is pretty bad so far.

Chandler is a freshman so who knows, but he probably fits Pope's offense the best considering he was recruited to BYU.

Butler is a good defender but in four years at SDSU he has been a mediocre shooter. His A/TO rate is good but how he only averaged 3 assists per game is really not a good thing.

Of the four transfers, they all need a lesson in ball movement especially with how Pope coached offense at BYU. They also have Travis Perry who is the sole Cal recruit to stick (Kentucky high school player).

Overall those transfers don't seem to be great fits for Pope's offense (which was predicated on ball movement, screening and three point shooting) aside from Carr, but should improve his defensive schemes just by being more athletic.
And they're all pretty much taking a step up in competition.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
From what I’m hearing, It sounds like UConn might not be all in on Brea. If I had to guess it’s bc he wants big money and we really need more ball handlers.

Reaction Score
As of right now, UConn has 9 players under scholarship. The roster is not set.
Thank you:

Right now our starting backcourt is Diarra (I swear he is already back and trolling us by not making it public) and Ball. Nowell is the only other guard on the roster. And Solo is not a backup PG type should one of the primary PG types get injured.

The starting "forwards" are Stewart and McNeeley with Ross and Abraham in reserve. So an injury away from Ross or Abraham starting.

And some people think we might be done and all set to make a run at another championship? Or only need one player?

Reaction Score
Thank you:

Right now our starting backcourt is Diarra (I swear he is already back and trolling us by not making it public) and Ball. Nowell is the only other guard on the roster. And Solo is not a backup PG type should one of the primary PG types get injured.

The starting "forwards" are Stewart and McNeeley with Ross and Abraham in reserve. So an injury away from Ross or Abraham starting.

And some people think we might be done and all set to make a run at another championship? Or only need one player?
We still need another guard as you basically pointed out with having 2-3 guards on the team now depending on Diarra. We will definitely get another before it is over at least. More players depending on who is coming back.

Reaction Score
We still need another guard as you basically pointed out with having 2-3 guards on the team now depending on Diarra. We will definitely get another before it is over at least. More players depending on who is coming back.
Brea isn't a backup "ballhandler" - so they are open to adding two (how much "if it is the right guy remains to be seen").

The "Mad" Ukranian may cover both though.

Reaction Score
Brea isn't a backup "ballhandler" - so they are open to adding two (how much "if it is the right guy remains to be seen").

The "Mad" Ukranian may cover both though.
Don't automatically expect a back up ball handler. We are aiming for a SG and if he has a handle like Mahaney then even better. I think most teams having 2 good ball handlers is pretty good. How many teams have 3rd string ball handler out there. Last year we lucked out having Cam also able to handle the ball with Castle. Don't expect this team to have that luxury depending on who we get. Solo Ball while not a PG has a handle showed early on in the season but for whatever reason decided to just become a 3 pt shooter. I'm not that worried about having another ball handler but lets see who we. I never said it was going to be Brea. If reports are true we might be backing away from him.

Reaction Score
Don't automatically expect a back up ball handler. We are aiming for a SG and if he has a handle like Mahaney then even better. I think most teams having 2 good ball handlers is pretty good. How many teams have 3rd string ball handler out there. Last year we lucked out having Cam also able to handle the ball with Castle. Don't expect this team to have that luxury depending on who we get. Solo Ball while not a PG has a handle showed early on in the season but for whatever reason decided to just become a 3 pt shooter. I'm not that worried about having another ball handler but lets see who we. I never said it was going to be Brea. If reports are true we might be backing away from him.

Last year was well covered with guys who could handle the point Newton, Castle, and Diarra - with Cam I think fine in a pinch.

I mentioned Brea more as an example of them looking for a non-guard type in addition to a ball hander (to serve as backup point guard should Nowell or Diarra get injured). We differ on the need for such a player. I think it is a must (at least at a Cam level, likely better even if only an emergency level player - Bettencourt on the women's team).

Reaction Score
Thank you:

As of typing this right now, we’re still at 9 official scholarship players. Consensus still seems to be Diarra returns but no official word yet. Getting Diarra & Karaban back would be massive. Then it’d be another guard or possibly two to finish out the roster. If they miss out on both of these transfers; they’ll find another piece, I’m not worried really.

Reaction Score
As of typing this right now, we’re still at 9 official scholarship players. Consensus still seems to be Diarra returns but no official word yet. Getting Diarra & Karaban back would be massive. Then it’d be another guard or possibly two to finish out the roster. If they miss out on both of these transfers; they’ll find another piece, I’m not worried really.

Yep, as constructed, with expected improvement from Ball and Stewart especially, we will be a formidable team. Bringing back Diarra and Karaban makes us an absolute contender for a three-peat. I'd really like to add Aidan, but if we don't, I guarantee we will find another guard who will fit the role.

Reaction Score
From what I’m hearing, It sounds like UConn might not be all in on Brea. If I had to guess it’s bc he wants big money and we really need more ball handlers.
All it takes is a simple ask for an NIL counteroffer. You can call it speculation all you want, but this is the norm nowadays in CBB. Players have that right and should try to maximize their worth.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Last year was well covered with guys who could handle the point Newton, Castle, and Diarra - with Cam I think fine in a pinch.
Did most on here believe twelve months ago that we were well covered in terms of ball handlers?

I remember a good amount of criticism towards HD and a lot of questions about CS. We fully expected Newton and Castle to be our starters but did not know if we had anyone else that we could depend on to play PG if it became necessary.

Things have worked out well for us recently and I don't see it as merely good fortune. I candidly would be more surprised if someone who is already on our roster (Ball?, Ross?) doesn't perform at an acceptable level as a facilitator next season than I would if someone does.

This staff is too good and far too determined to not develop the kids we have to a level beyond what our limited imaginations can forsee.

Reaction Score
HD or AN is our backup ball handler.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom