Koby Brea entered the portal. Please please Coach Hurley | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Koby Brea entered the portal. Please please Coach Hurley

Reaction Score
It’s going to be really hard to replace Newton. Offense when you absolutely needed it, his rebounding, his driving to the hoop and ability to get to the line, his 6’5 height, and his defensive quickness were so important these last two years
Agreed. There are not a lot of Newtons, Spencers, Clingans, or Castles in the country. If there are, they are already being paid handsomely and probably aren’t in the portal

I think most of this forum is on the same page about our needs going into next season. Question is - are those exact needs available and interested? It’s a gamble to fill out your roster before the portal technically closes, but a gamble that seems worth it

Reed is a GREAT start. If we could get 2 of McNeeley, Brea, Hausen (in that order), that’s a super successful offseason

Reaction Score
I think we add a wing and a pure shooter. Seems to be the two types we're after.
Can the wing be a good ball handler? Are you comfortable with only Hass and Nowell?

Reaction Score
Can the wing be a good ball handler? Are you comfortable with only Hass and Nowell?

Our system doesn't really require a bunch of elite ballhandlers. I need that wing to be a high IQ guy who can pass intelligently vs a press and pressure. If he's not, we may get feasted on by teams like Marquette that get all up in your grill.

Reaction Score
It’s going to be really hard to replace Newton. Offense when you absolutely needed it, his rebounding, his driving to the hoop and ability to get to the line, his 6’5 height, and his defensive quickness were so important these last two years
Totally agree on this. My biggest concern for next season is that the team is losing all of its shot creation between Newton, Spencer, and to a lesser degree Castle.

Reaction Score
Totally agree on this. My biggest concern for next season is that the team is losing all of its shot creation between Newton, Spencer, and to a lesser degree Castle.
Its an issue, ball and diarra will have to step up

Reaction Score
We aren't going to replace anybody per se, we are starting anew. Who on this years squad was the same as Sanogo, Hawkins or Jackson? Looks like 4 maybe 5 new starters. System will adapt to the players, more than the other way around. Reed looks like he might be able to do Sanogolike things. both ends of the court.

Reaction Score
So McNeeley, Brea, AND a combo guard?? I don’t think so that’s a 10 man rotation not counting Ross and Abraham
I didn’t say we needed another combo guard. I was responding to someone saying we needed someone who could handle the ball and shoot it. I said you could probably find that in one player.

I still don’t think Brea and McNeeley are an either or. Nowell would just need to be ready to take Hassan’s role off the bench

Reaction Score
We aren't going to replace anybody per se, we are starting anew. Who on this years squad was the same as Sanogo, Hawkins or Jackson? Looks like 4 maybe 5 new starters. System will adapt to the players, more than the other way around. Reed looks like he might be able to do Sanogolike things. both ends of the court.
It's starting to look like this is the most accurate assessment

Reaction Score
I didn’t say we needed another combo guard. I was responding to someone saying we needed someone who could handle the ball and shoot it. I said you could probably find that in one player.

I still don’t think Brea and McNeeley are an either or. Nowell would just need to be ready to take Hassan’s role off the bench
I guess that’s the disconnect then. Even assuming Nowell is ready I think we need a third ball handler, and we don’t have room to add 3 rotation players to the current roster. Meaning it’s either McNeeley or Brea and the third ball handler.

Reaction Score
I guess that’s the disconnect then. Even assuming Nowell is ready I think we need a third ball handler, and we don’t have room to add 3 rotation players to the current roster. Meaning it’s either McNeeley or Brea and the third ball handler.
Correct

Reaction Score

I was actually more impressed with Ball’s handle (jeez) than I thought I would be. It was his shot selection and defense that I didn’t love.
Really from what? The few times he went to the basket weak and got blocked or his shot altered as he dribbling in slow speed I was actually surprised of how good of a shooter he was compared to his driving ability. I thought high school reports were the opposite. Well of course high school reports were also saying Samson had a good shot even out to the 3 pt line and we all saw how bad he was even from the FT line.

Reaction Score
Agree. Newton made things look easy. He's very easy to take for granted

Reaction Score
I don’t necessarily disagree. I can understand this point of view.

I guess in my scenario you hope Solo Ball can be the third ball handler

Reaction Score
Really from what? The few times he went to the basket weak and got blocked or his shot altered as he dribbling in slow speed I was actually surprised of how good of a shooter he was compared to his driving ability. I thought high school reports were the opposite. Well of course high school reports were also saying Samson had a good shot even out to the 3 pt line and we all saw how bad he was even from the FT line.
Im not talking about him breaking guys down with crazy crossovers, I just was pleasantly surprised with his handle, good tweens, didn’t give the ball up. I thought it would be more robotic than it was.

Notice, I didn’t say drives, just his handle.

Reaction Score
Do we know why he was coming off the bench? Strange that you get a mid-major bench guy basically getting his pick of high major school to transfer to.
Not when they can shoot the cover off the ball with that size. How about the story of Duncan Hamilton- couldn’t find the court in the wrong situations and then Pat Riley saw one part of one workout and told him not to go to another. He had a place on the Heat.

There’s always a spot for an absolutely ELITE 3pt shooter, and when you add in his size it makes for a very appealing chess piece.

Reaction Score
Let’s recap: he’s not the overall player that Spencer or McNeeley are, but he’s an excellent shooter and that’s really it. Thats still very valuable and I’d love him as a Husky.

I also would personally prefer McNeeley OVER him or WITH him, but not instead. I’d love McNeeley plus Hausen or Brea as bench snipers playing a critical role.
Personally, I love the idea of a sniper who isn’t a starter. Don’t we have enough room to try to fill Cam’s role elsewhere while also grabbing a non starting assassin?

Truly asking, unsure how much room we have.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Personally, I love the idea of a sniper who isn’t a starter. Don’t we have enough room to try to fill Cam’s role elsewhere while also grabbing a non starting assassin?

@tcf15

Reaction Score
Not when they can shoot the cover off the ball with that size. How about the story of Duncan Hamilton- couldn’t find the court in the wrong situations and then Pat Riley saw one part of one workout and told him not to go to another. He had a place on the Heat.

There’s always a spot for an absolutely ELITE 3pt shooter, and when you add in his size it makes for a very appealing chess piece.
Duncan Robinson

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Scholarship Grid

Reaction Score
Diarra/Nowell
Ball/Brea/Ross
Stewart/McNeeley
Karaban/Roumoglou/Abraham
Johnson/Reed/Singare

That would be the deepest team in the country and a bonafide contender. Sign me up.
Would be great and have me in a very content place until the season starts

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom