Kiah On The Floor at The Garden | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kiah On The Floor at The Garden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
, Uconn or Iowa she would have had the opportunity and fortitude to accomplish.
No doubt Kiah is a brilliant brain, exceptional sports body, few have the guts to testify. Uconn is great for many, may have been good for Kiah, but if KML is to believed, Kiah was subjected to a lot of verbal garbage that few could have withstood. Geno was for 3.9 years reluctant to give Kiah credit of "that's what does " defense. I just watched the Dec game with ND and a big difference maker was Kiah, the bubble heads talking the game said she was enormous in the first half. I'm sure there will be games next year where Kiah's blocks, rebounding shall be missed. Her rebounding is truly exceptional, her hands tend to grab and hold anything in her area.

I don't agree with the overall tone of your post.

1-- Would she have been practicing against some of the greatest players in the world for their age over the 4 years of her career? Playing against these players had little impact over her career?

2-- Would she had the same type of coaching? Not meant to diminish Iowa's coach. But would she?

3-- Who said Kiah wasn't a difference maker vs ND?

4-- If we win it all in similar fashion -- one can argue "she was missed." Similarily, in the grand scheme of things if UCONN wins it all one can argue she wasn't missed. SO what does "she will be missed mean?" DO you think UCONN will win it all? Are they going to struggle more this year?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
At best Kiah can become a 4th option for a championship caliber team.

There is this myth that because you score more points, it means somehow you are a better player.

Kiah doesn't have the instincts. AN instinct to not get nervous after 3 or 4 losses - she is going to shy away.

Forcing her to be something she isn't and as you llose - just because you individually score more points doesn't mean you are better.

You may be right. Scorers have a scorer's mentality. Right now, she does not have it. They're trying to instill it in her. She had it in high school. She averaged 25 points a game as a senior. Geno killed it upon her arrival at UConn (she has said in a recent interview that she was told not to shoot). We'll see if Laimbeer can reignite that fire again. Only time will tell. Some folks think he can, some do not. It's too early to tell, The season hasn't even started yet. Let's check back in mid-August and see how she's doing.

Let's wait until her sophomore year in the WNBA before we label her a hit or a miss. Let's give her time to make that transition from college to pro. She's not going to become an offensive juggernaut over night. This is just MY opinion, physically, she's already got an WNBA body as a lot of observers have mentioned. This means that she can do any and everything anyone else her size can do.

She MUST change her mental approach if she's going to increase her scoring prowess. Right now, she has a defensive mindset. She needs to adopt a scorer's mentality. ALL of your basketball players (men & women) that have a high scoring average have that mindset. ALL of them have mastered the ability to score. None of them think they can be stopped. The more they score, the more they want to score. Kobe and Michael Jordan and Julius Erving come to mind. None of them ever had a lot of assists.

When they have the ball, most of the time they're thinking score, not pass. They know why they're in the game. Most teams only have 1-2 scorers. Their coaches expect them to score. He/she (coaches) have other players on the floor that can pass. Again, time will tell. We can all prognosticate on the future, but none of us really know for sure. This is one time the cape and turban are of no use.

Reaction Score
If Kiah is one of there better shooters, that's not good.
I think that's silly! She has a very nice stroke and is obviously a fine foul shooter. If Kiah is expected to be one of their best scorers, that might be scary but her ability to make shots has rarely been questioned. Her instincts as a scorer might not be what they could or should be but I never questioned her shooting ability!

Reaction Score
Thanks carnac I have a few comments from your comments made in bold. I have to do it this way.

Right now, she does not have it. They're trying to instill it in her. She had it in high school. She averaged 25 points a game as a senior.

I didn’ t see her play in high school. But from what I saw in the McD or other all-star game just the one game. It was just 1 so- but here is what I saw I didn’t see a strong low post player. I didn’t see a player using the bounce or able to get to the ft line. I didn’t see a tenacious offensive rebounder. For example when I saw Tina Charles I saw a bunch of things in the 1 all-star game. Thus I don’t buy “she had it” in high school as being relevant. As we know high school and college are vastly different. Many players were able to score a lot in high school and not approach that in college imo

Geno killed it upon her arrival at UConn (she has said in a recent interview that she was told not to shoot).

First off I would like to see the link in which in the interview she was specifically told by Geno “not to shoot.” I didn’t see Geno yanking her when she took low post shots or outside shots as a whole. I do remember the awful shot vs Stanford. Maybe then. I think sometimes kids make a statement which then the media misinterprets the comment. IMO I’m sure that is what happened here. Thus I don’t buy your “Geno killed her . .” comment.

Let's check back in mid-August and see how she's doing.

Nah. I love making predictions – many of us do. Just as I felt Kiah should have been picked in 1st round before she got picked – though I was concerned some teams might pass on her- I felt she was a number 1 pick- I put it out there on this site. That’s what I’m doing now- stating Bill will learn in time.

Let's wait until her sophomore year in the WNBA before we label her a hit or a miss.

I don’t understand what you are referring to here in terms of hit or miss. IMO Kiah doesn’t need to be the offensive weapon Bill is trying for her to be. I think she can be “a hit” without being a true scorer. Do you think differently? That if she isn’t a scorer then she will be “a miss?”

This is just MY opinion, physically, she's already got an WNBA body as a lot of observers have mentioned. This means that she can do any and everything anyone else her size can do.

I don’t understand though. Damon Green is near as big as LeBron James but he can never be LBJ even if teams like his ball-handling and shooting for his size.

None of them think they can be stopped. The more they score, the more they want to score. Kobe and Michael Jordan and Julius Erving come to mind. None of them ever had a lot of assists.

I think this is where we agree yet disagree – you and me – our “crossroads.” I think (I have no proof - just my opinion of the comment I'm making.) she has been stopped a lot vs top-tier competition while the guys you mentioned were rarely stopped. Imo that 25 ppg high school number was just a result of her competition. IMO when she got into practices Geno saw that she wasn’t a reliable type of scorer vs top tier competition. And as mentioned – the 1 game I saw – I did NOT see a scorer for the reasons cited.

SO you are right – I will wait and hope she does but I won’t bandwagon my opinion and disregard what I saw with my own eyes and what I believe makes up a scorer. In other words I believe in more with what I saw vs what Bill is trying to tell me and how the media maybe misinterpreted Kiah's words. Nor do I believe Geno said to Kiah “don’t shoot.” So all of her 2-3 foot baskets Geno didn’t want her to shoot? Geno never once wanted her to try to low post? If so – how is it then turned into “don’t shoot?”

We can all prognosticate on the future, but none of us really know for sure.

You are correct. But when I think I’m right – it means I think the other guy is wrong. In this case imo Bill was right to pick her 1st round, but wrong to believe he can turn her into a championship caliber scorer. If Kiah averages 14 ppg yet her team winds up in last place- that doesn’t make her better imo.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
At best Kiah can become a 4th option for a championship caliber team.

There is this myth that because you score more points, it means somehow you are a better player.

Kiah doesn't have the instincts. AN instinct to not get nervous after 3 or 4 losses - she is going to shy away.

Forcing her to be something she isn't and as you llose - just because you individually score more points doesn't mean you are better.
She just has to be shown the right shots to take.

I could do that. I'm available this summer, Bill!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom