Kiah On The Floor at The Garden | The Boneyard

Kiah On The Floor at The Garden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
At halftime Atlanta leads N.Y. 44 to 39. Kiah started at center; has played 12 min., 3 for 3 from the floor, 6 points, 5 boards, 1 steal, 1 block. Kiah and Tina lead NY in scoring with 6 each. Angel leading Atlanta with 11.

[LINK] to stats

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Oh Phew. You meant stats. With Tiff Hayes on the court, I thought you meant Kiah was honoring her by taking a dive on to the actual floor.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
At this point in the season, Kiah is the team's leading scorer.

Reaction Score
Kiah finishes with 9, one point short of a double double. She had 11 boards. Atlanta wins 85 - 72

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Say What?

Liberty
[NYL 47-60] Stokes Fadeaway Jump Shot: Made (8 PTS) Assist: Boyd (1 AST)

Liberty
[NYL 12-6] Stokes Turnaround Jump Shot: Made (4 PTS)

Also, 4 blocks

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I don't see NY being very good this year. I could see them in the bottom 4 and in the running for Stewie or Moriah...

Reaction Score
From Jim Fuller today:

Bill Laimbeer doesn't usually struggle to get his message across so when he met with Kiah Stokes for the first time during the New York Liberty's training camp, he made it clear that the days of Stokes deferring to her teammates were about to come to an end.

Stokes displayed the ability to rebound and block shots and was a willing screener in her four years at UConn. What she didn't do much of was look for her own offense. Knowing that playing 4 on 5 at the WNBA level simply doesn't work, Laimbeer made it clear to Stokes that she needed to look for her own shot.

"We are forcing the situation on her because she is one of our better shooters so we want her to be aggressive offensively especially in the preseason," Laimbeer said. "She has to learn that she can do it and we are counting on her to do it. Every time she doesn't shoot, we remind her 'hey, that is a good shot for you.' She has to learn to expect the ball and be ready to shoot. She understands what we are asking of her. She is a very smart player, you don't have to tell her twice. Recognition of where she is going to be open and prepare herself to shoot, that is a work in progress."

Stokes attempted 14 shots in the Liberty's first preseason game which is more shots than she attempted in any game during her college career.

[LINK]

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I too was worried about Kiah being "on the floor," especially after seeing Steph Curry take that horrific fall the other night.

Kiah played major minutes and did pretty well. She's showing that she belongs. I think the DPOY will be Griner in most years, but Kiah can be one of the best rebounders and shot blockers in the league. And a decent scorer.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
from team's game notes:

• Rookie Kiah Stokes, who is now averaging 10.0 points and 11.0 rebounds per game in the preseason, also had a game-high four blocked shots while logging a game-high 27:59.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
from team's game notes:

• Rookie Kiah Stokes, who is now averaging 10.0 points and 11.0 rebounds per game in the preseason, also had a game-high four blocked shots while logging a game-high 27:59.
If Kiah averages 10 and 11, she'll be in the competition for ROY. I think Loyd is the pre-season favorite, but we'll see how things transpire.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Laimbeer: " I left Kiah Stokes out there a long time today. I am throwin' her in the fire right now. I want her to soak up every little piece of of information and how to play the game in the WNBA right now during training camp. She's pretty good. She's very steady."

Reaction Score
If Bill can get Kiah to average double figures this season, then he may become
Coach of the Year material.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Bill may just be working his way out of the doghouse as far as a number of boneyarders are concerned!!!
Never! I give all the credit in the world to Kiah. Lamebeer is dead to me!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Never! I give all the credit in the world to Kiah. Lamebeer is dead to me!

Laimbeer? Dead!

Niedermeyer? Dead!

niedermeyer.jpg

Reaction Score
If Bill can get Kiah to average double figures this season, then he may become
Coach of the Year material.
LAMBEER--Kiah is one of our better shooters. Something many of us knew she was. She may or may not do a double double every night, but you are about to see how a kid blossoms with the right environment. As has been said hundreds of times: UConn isn't for everyone!!.

Reaction Score
Being one of the very few CT fans of Detroit during the "Bad Boys" era, I always liked Laimbeer.

I think he may have been tough on Swin when she was hobbled by her back problem but, he also got her a WNBA Championship ring.

Bill may just be working his way out of the doghouse as far as a number of boneyarders are concerned!!!

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
LAMBEER--Kiah is one of our better shooters. Something many of us knew she was. She may or may not do a double double every night, but you are about to see how a kid blossoms with the right environment. As has been said hundreds of times: UConn isn't for everyone!!.

Kiah was graduated with honors
Testified at the state capitol
Won 3 national championships
Became one of the greatest shot blockers in school history\
Made a 3pt shot to get fans wings
and accomplished enough on the court for a WNBA team to trade up in the draft to make her a 1st round pick.

How wasn't UConn for her?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
From Jim Fuller today:

Bill Laimbeer doesn't usually struggle to get his message across so when he met with Kiah Stokes for the first time during the New York Liberty's training camp, he made it clear that the days of Stokes deferring to her teammates were about to come to an end.

Stokes displayed the ability to rebound and block shots and was a willing screener in her four years at UConn. What she didn't do much of was look for her own offense. Knowing that playing 4 on 5 at the WNBA level simply doesn't work, Laimbeer made it clear to Stokes that she needed to look for her own shot.

"We are forcing the situation on her because she is one of our better shooters so we want her to be aggressive offensively especially in the preseason," Laimbeer said. "She has to learn that she can do it and we are counting on her to do it. Every time she doesn't shoot, we remind her 'hey, that is a good shot for you.' She has to learn to expect the ball and be ready to shoot. She understands what we are asking of her. She is a very smart player, you don't have to tell her twice. Recognition of where she is going to be open and prepare herself to shoot, that is a work in progress."

Stokes attempted 14 shots in the Liberty's first preseason game which is more shots than she attempted in any game during her college career.

[LINK]

I can only think of what might have been had Geno and staff took this approach with her at the beginning of her freshman year. The bottom line is winning. UConn did win lots of games during her four year stay. Even coming off the bench, Kiah could have had a double double in at least half of the games every year. She was a very integral part of the team's overall success. Kiah appears to be extremely motivated to meet their expectations this season. I don't really expect her to "bloom" until this time next year, after completing a full season of WNBA and playing overseas in the winter. She'll return home with a completely different mindset with respect to scoring. THEN.......she'll be ready. :)

Reaction Score
I can only think of what might have been had Geno and staff took this approach with her at the beginning of her freshman year. The bottom line is winning. UConn did win lots of games during her four year stay. Even coming off the bench, Kiah could have had a double double in at least half of the games every year. She was a very integral part of the team's overall success. Kiah appears to be extremely motivated to meet their expectations this season. I don't really expect her to "bloom" until this time next year, after completing a full season of WNBA and playing overseas in the winter. She'll return home with a completely different mindset with respect to scoring. THEN..she'll be ready. :)

At best Kiah can become a 4th option for a championship caliber team.

There is this myth that because you score more points, it means somehow you are a better player.

Kiah doesn't have the instincts. AN instinct to not get nervous after 3 or 4 losses - she is going to shy away.

Forcing her to be something she isn't and as you llose - just because you individually score more points doesn't mean you are better.

Reaction Score
If Kiah is one of there better shooters, that's not good.

Reaction Score
Kiah was graduated with honors
Testified at the state capitol
Won 3 national championships
Became one of the greatest shot blockers in school history\
Made a 3pt shot to get fans wings
and accomplished enough on the court for a WNBA team to trade up in the draft to make her a 1st round pick.

How wasn't UConn for her?
Every thing you list, except championships----was done by KIAH alone, Uconn or Iowa she would have had the opportunity and fortitude to accomplish. Her intelligence, came with her brain and parentage, her blocking ability is built into her brain and mobility, who knows where she would have been picked had she stayed at Iowa--she was picked at number 11 mostly because lambeer took a chance.
No doubt Kiah is a brilliant brain, exceptional sports body, few have the guts to testify. Uconn is great for many, may have been good for Kiah, but if KML is to believed, Kiah was subjected to a lot of verbal garbage that few could have withstood. Geno was for 3.9 years reluctant to give Kiah credit of "that's what does " defense. I just watched the Dec game with ND and a big difference maker was Kiah, the bubble heads talking the game said she was enormous in the first half. I'm sure there will be games next year where Kiah's blocks, rebounding shall be missed. Her rebounding is truly exceptional, her hands tend to grab and hold anything in her area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom