Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 81 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="und" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN">@McMurphyESPN</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/CFBPlayoff">@CFBPlayoff</a> Yep</p>&mdash; Greg Flugaur (@flugempire) <a href="">July 20, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That's it!!! Gary you're off my Christmas list....
How did we ever come up in a SEC media day?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"Why is your burger better than a Big Mac? What do you call a whopper in France? In France the Big Mac is calle le Big Mac."
Don't know but I hear they call a Quarter Pounder a Royale with Cheese.
jules-winnfield.png

Reaction Score
Nice to see them acknowledging that college athletics is migrating to a professional model.

That really is my only issue with his comments, this isn't the NFL(At least shouldn't be).

Reaction Score
Listening and reading to Bowlsby kind of makes you wonder why they even had a commissioner in the b12. His comments kind of make him look like the communications director for North Korea. He appears to be a puppet communications officer.

Reaction Score
I've always wondered why we were so slow to see the handwriting on the wall in regards to CR. I have to believe that if Lew had stayed, we wouldn't be in this mess.
We were getting into a conference that schools were leaving, had plans to leave, wanted to leave. Infants in an adult's game. Lew left because he knew it would be a mess.

Reaction Score
UCONN was a founding member of what became an incredible basketball conference.
UCONN also had the good fortune to become a member of a BCS conference as it made the jump to 1-A.
I personally think UCONN had one play and that was the Big East.
So much blame being tossed around but in the end, UCONN was just unlucky. Football schools took a left, basketball schools took a right, and UCONN was stuck in the middle.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
UCONN also had the good fortune to become a member of a BCS conference as it made the jump to 1-A.
So much blame being tossed around but in the end, UCONN was just unlucky. Football schools took a left, basketball schools took a right, and UCONN was stuck in the middle.

I think this is a big part of it. I do think better leadership would have got us in front of Syracuse, Pitt or Louisville for an ACC bid, but we are where we are.

Reaction Score
If you want to go back that far...imagine what could have been if Mike Tranghese had said yes to a BE network back then...my theory is that there would have been a P-6 and the ACC may have lost FSU to the BE instead.

Reaction Score
If you want to go back that far...imagine what could have been if Mike Tranghese had said yes to a BE network back then...my theory is that there would have been a P-6 and the ACC may have lost FSU to the BE instead.
The Big East & Tranghese's big mistakes: Not bringing in FSU along with Miami, allowing the Seminoles to go to the ACC; Not bringing in Penn St. for all sports.

Reaction Score
The Big East & Tranghese's big mistakes: Not bringing in FSU along with Miami, allowing the Seminoles to go to the ACC; Not bringing in Penn St. for all sports.
That would have been B1G network $$ before Delany & Company even thought of their own network! The only question I have is would that league had split with the football schools going one way and the hoops schools going the other. It would have been interesting to see how they split a share of net work $ between football schools and non-football schools.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I think this is a big part of it. I do think better leadership would have got us in front of Syracuse, Pitt or Louisville for an ACC bid, but we are where we are.

I don't think Syracuse. The ACC loved the idea of playing in the Carrier Dome. The other two we should have out maneuvered.

Reaction Score
That would have been B1G network $$ before Delany & Company even thought of their own network! The only question I have is would that league had split with the football schools going one way and the hoops schools going the other. It would have been interesting to see how they split a share of net work $ between football schools and non-football schools.
Probably no need to split if everyone was getting paid. Basketball,schools didn't want out until it was clear the big east was going to lose BCS status and $$$.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
"Right on target".

Nope.

It ain't.

Reaction Score
If ESPN was serious about making an ACC Network, they would just say it.

Swofford is starting to press on the ACC Network since it was one of the reasons why he got schools to sign the GOR. If that network doesn't come, you know some schools are going to get restless when the B1G and SEC are clearing a dozen million dollars more a year than they are.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If ESPN was serious about making an ACC Network, they would just say it.

Swofford is starting to press on the ACC Network since it was one of the reasons why he got schools to sign the GOR. If that network doesn't come, you know some schools are going to get restless when the B1G and SEC are clearing a dozen million dollars more a year than they are.

I think that for the most part most of the ACC schools are content and happy to be a part of the league. Clearly it's an easier path for a FSU, Clemson or Virginia Tech to make the CFB as opposed to going through the SEC or to most seasons the B1G.

The only thing I could see is if the money becomes just too big to ignore and there is an invite to be had in the other leagues. The states of Virginia and North Carolina seem to be the ultimate prizes but I have an easier time seeing VT or NC State going than UVA or UNC.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
"Right on target" is another way of saying "It doesn't look good, but it's what we expected."

Teel is absolutely a fan boy and not terribly perceptive.

Swofford feeds him the same line a different way every time out.

Reaction Score
Teel is absolutely a fan boy and not terribly perceptive.

Swofford feeds him the same line a different way every time out.

That's somewhat generous. I was thinking more like Teel is a total puppet. He's like the ACC's Baghdad Bob.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That's somewhat generous. I was thinking more like Teel is a total puppet. He's like the ACC's Baghdad Bob.

It really is a brutal piece of journalism.

The headline is that they're 'right on target'.

Sentence two admits that Swofford said nothing and that the author has a 'sense', (read 'hope'), that the network will launch in 2017. And then he tries to plump up the positives.

And then Swofford slides the sticky bits right past Teel...

“If we’re going to do this,” Swofford said, “we need to do it in the right way from the beginning that gives us the opportunity to have long-term success, and that’s what we’re trying to do and time it in a way so the distribution can be good, if not great, coming out, if we go this route. The other alternative is larger rights fees (from ESPN).”

And boom. They have nothing.

The issue for the ACC is that they signed their deal and never made provisions for a network. Now, they want ESPN to put more money into something they already own and then have it compete on some level with an already solid business, the SEC Network. It's not working by anyone's rational measure.

The tell is the 'alternative' - asking ESPN for more money.

Well, good luck.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
It really is a brutal piece of journalism.

The headline is that they're 'right on target'.

Sentence two admits that Swofford said nothing and that the author has a 'sense', (read 'hope'), that the network will launch in 2017. And then he tries to plump up the positives.

And then Swofford slides the sticky bits right past Teel...

“If we’re going to do this,” Swofford said, “we need to do it in the right way from the beginning that gives us the opportunity to have long-term success, and that’s what we’re trying to do and time it in a way so the distribution can be good, if not great, coming out, if we go this route. The other alternative is larger rights fees (from ESPN).”

And boom. They have nothing.

The issue for the ACC is that they signed their deal and never made provisions for a network. Now, they want ESPN to put more money into something they already own and then have it compete on some level with an already solid business, the SEC Network. It's not working by anyone's rational measure.

The tell is the 'alternative' - asking ESPN for more money.

Well, good luck.
The only path to more money for the ACC is getting ND football as a full member. Cue TerryD to tell us the odds of that happening.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I can't see ESPN ponying up more cash to the ACC given that total homes # is shrinking.

I can see ESPN paying for another raid, if it causes a conference to collapse and decreases their overall costs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom