Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 80 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

pj

Reaction Score
UMass doesn't bring anything, but Buffalo does?

What, pray tell, do they bring?

They're the state university of metropolitan Buffalo. They bring the northeast Buffalo market.

pj

Reaction Score
Negative like for this.

Did you go there?

I wish they brought the state of New York. Then we would have a partner for 16 in the B1G. But unfortunately, they don't. The ACC thought Syracuse brought more -- enough said.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
They're the state university of metropolitan Buffalo. They bring the northeast Buffalo market.

The grand island market?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Buffalo brings Cheektowaga and Kenmore, NY. Two very big markets in the metro Buffalo DMA.

If 2 schools leave the AAC and we had to backfill to keep our pittance payments in tact, then I'd rather they be filled with schools within driving distance to us. You can do a lot worse than UMass and Buffalo (and the AAC probably will do a lot worse). Although my first choice would be to not backfill and have UConn pull a Texas once the AAC deal expires and try shopping our content alone. I wouldn't advocate for leaving the conference (because of scheduling) but I think we could bring in much more money on our own than grouped with the likes of Memphis, SMU, Tulane, Tulsa, etc.

Reaction Score
Buffalo - if it weren't for there god-awful football - ought to be a lock for the B1G.

Reaction Score
Did you go there?

I wish they brought the state of New York. Then we would have a partner for 16 in the B1G. But unfortunately, they don't. The ACC thought Syracuse brought more -- enough said.
Yeah give me the UMass market and potential rather than the western wing and Niagara Falls of WNY demo...but I do like UB eating at SU's fringes in CNY and in FB I believe they are gaining traction there as NY's team.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Now that's thinking...therefore it won't happen!! It would be an instant hit nationally and rejuvenate the schools AND conference. As is noone outside Texas/Okie/Kansas about the "flyover conference". They need fresh blood and National eyeballs. It would IMO easily surpass the P12 as the #3 conference. Why do simple fans like us see these things but conference honcho's paid too don't see it? You can't eat tradition as much as we love it. Its like if the ACC took RU/UConn...instant lockdown in one move of the NE but it was too brilliant in its simplicity for Swoffy to see so lets play it safe with a few privates with little to no growth potential!?! That still aggravates me that they take us fans as stupid!! Well at least they"ACC" have a national network...ACCDN on Youtube !!

Absolute slam dunk. I bet the media partners are fighting over who gets to pony up $120 million extra a year!

Reaction Score
Man this sucks! Buffalo, UMASS....oooffa.

Meanwhile, our natural peers, if not outright rivals, in Rutgers, Syracuse and BC are getting P5 money and accomplishing........well nothing on the field, but at least they are getting paid.

UCONN is just a symptom of a system that is pretty well broken and it will eventually infect all of college athletics. This thing could very well be heading to 30-40 programs grabbing just about most of the exposure and dollars. NFL and NBA light.........very appealing for college fans. I've been one for over 40 years and I may turn off the TV and do something else than watch commercials.......and be influenced where to spend my disposable income.

College athletics and the networks have lost sight of the fan, customer and consumer. That usually doesn't bode very well for a business model.

Reaction Score
Yeah give me the UMass market and potential rather than the western wing and Niagara Falls of WNY demo...but I do like UB eating at SU's fringes in CNY and in FB I believe they are gaining traction there as NY's team.
They couldn't fill th eir high school stadium when Baylor came to town.

Reaction Score
We have a habit of predicting doom for the entire ecosystem when we're really the only ones in imminent danger.

Maybe.

But, at the end of the day, why does Texas, FSU, USC, Bama, etc. want to share the pie with BC and Baylor?

It may take a while, but I'm pretty sure I see the trend.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't think they have any problem sharing money with those schools.

The P5 conferences have all added members, so the trend, such as it is, is counter to your theory.

Our problem is that they've thrown the velvet rope up just in front of us and there is zero momentum towards lifting it.

Those inside are fine and those outside are the future dead.

Reaction Score
Maybe.

But, at the end of the day, why does Texas, FSU, USC, Bama, etc. want to share the pie with BC and Baylor?

It may take a while, but I'm pretty sure I see the trend.
Those schools will need someone to beat up on, and at the moment Baylor is holding their own. CFB does not appear to be losing any popularity and we really weren't shedding tears for teams/programs in the BCS when we were in it. It is amazing that only 3 schools got effed from the BCS and we were one of them. You really have to just shake your head and wonder how UCONN ' S leaders at the time didn't do more so this didn't happen.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Those schools will need someone to beat up on, and at the moment Baylor is holding their own. CFB does not appear to be losing any popularity and we really weren't shedding tears for teams/programs in the BCS when we were in it. It is amazing that only 3 schools got effed from the BCS and we were one of them. You really have to just shake your head and wonder how UCONN ' S leaders at the time didn't do more so this didn't happen.
Lew Perkins told everyone if we went to Division 1 football we would be safe. He was mostly correct, and we rested on our laurels once Timmy Hathaway took over.

Reaction Score
I've always wondered why we were so slow to see the handwriting on the wall in regards to CR. I have to believe that if Lew had stayed, we wouldn't be in this mess.
I'll give you 2 words...Jeff Hathaway....and by default of keeping him 4 more..Phil Austin and Michael Hogan. If Lew Perkins and Harry Hartley had stayed UCONN would be in a MUCH better place.

Reaction Score
Eric Barboza ‏@DogPoundInsider · 20h20 hours ago
@McMurphyESPN quick question, in regards to expansion. If BIG12 gets Cincy, and UCF. Do you see Houston, smu, byu to MWC? TV deal up in 3yrs

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN · 20h20 hours ago
@DogPoundInsider first part ain’t gonna happen so you don’t have to worry about the second part

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Talk about stock, legal answers. "My understanding". "Present time".

Why do people go to ESPiN to ask about B12 expansion?? I wouldn't go to Burger King and ask about the Big Mac.

Reaction Score
Talk about stock, legal answers. "My understanding". "Present time".

Why do people go to ESPiN to ask about B12 expansion?? I wouldn't go to Burger King and ask about the Big Mac.

"Why is your burger better than a Big Mac? What do you call a whopper in France? In France the Big Mac is calle le Big Mac."

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
"Why is your burger better than a Big Mac? What do you call a whopper in France? In France the Big Mac is calle le Big Mac."

I don't know, I didn't go into Burger King.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom