Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 843 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You're comparing Kansas City to New York City.
Yes, and I like Kansas City and hate NYC. But that’s not the point. The point is that in a smaller city the tournament commands more attention and dominates the bars and restaurants in a way it can’t in NYC, Chicago or LA.

Reaction Score
Yes, and I like Kansas City and hate NYC. But that’s not the point. The point is that in a smaller city the tournament commands more attention and dominates the bars and restaurants in a way it can’t in NYC, Chicago or LA.
Sure because there's not much going on in Kansas City and there's 16 times less people there than in NYC. The Big East tournament atmosphere is way better than the Big 12, Big 10, and ACC tournaments.

Reaction Score
Speculation re: anything to do with the ACC is risky. When FSU and Clemson get out, watch for an attempted mass exodus by the rest of the so called magnificent 7.

Where exactly are they all going to go? There are 7 open spots in the P2? Assuming Notre Dame isn't interested?

Skimmed the rest, couldn't make sense of it. Seems like a word salad of conventional wisdom and wishful thinking.

Reaction Score
Where exactly are they all going to go? There are 7 open spots in the P2? Assuming Notre Dame isn't interested?

Skimmed the rest, couldn't make sense of it. Seems like a word salad of conventional wisdom and wishful thinking.
Agree. Not sure everyone has a spot outside ACC.
And assuming those schools do leave it would likely give ACC a war chest of funds.

ACC could be in a good position if it gets its crap together.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Every train I've taken into NYC for the BET, And every bar I've gone into is dominated by Big East fans, all fired up for the tournament and all talking back-and-forth. Now, if you're saying that in the city of nearly 9,000,000 people, there are many non-fans, then in a city of a half million, I'm sure you're right, but pretty much none of them are hanging out in the bars around MSG.

Reaction Score
Every train I've taken into NYC for the BET, And every bar I've gone into is dominated by Big East fans, all fired up for the tournament and all talking back-and-forth. Now, if you're saying that in the city of nearly 9,000,000 people, there are many non-fans, then in a city of a half million, I'm sure you're right, but pretty much none of them are hanging out in the bars around MSG.
Madison Garden holds 20,000 people. Maybe you could have 40,000 or so people interested in BET out of 9 million. So interest is only in the handful of bars around Madison Square Garden. For example I was in town for the Super Bowl when it was held at Giants Stadium. You could not go anywhere in the city without someone talking about the Suoerbowl. NYC is a professional sports town.

Reaction Score

A big fish in a small pond is the same size as a big fish in a big pond.

The Big 12's Tournament is neither special or noteworthy. We'd be giving up something letting the BET go. If we can't play in a tournament in NYC then at least be on the east coast.

Reaction Score

The Big 12's Tournament is neither special or noteworthy. We'd be giving up something letting the BET go. If we can't play in a tournament in NYC then at least be on the east coast.
I think best situation is we stay big time in Basketball both men’s and women’s. That is where UConn will have the most success by extracting more money from NCAA basketball tournament. Football will be a lost cause since not enough interest in New England. But again UConn can be a top team in basketball.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I'm inclined to agree, but if any power conference offers us, we say yes before they finish the sentence.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I think the ACC is our best bet going forward. BET is fine, I'm not complaining about it. I do think saturation matters, the percentage of people interested in college sports of a particular conference. Before the defections the Big East had better saturation than it does now. Big XII doesn't have it anymore with the programs that left. ACC more or less still has it in North Carolina, for now. SEC has pretty good saturation across most of the south.

Reaction Score
I think the ACC is our best bet going forward. BET is fine, I'm not complaining about it. I do think saturation matters, the percentage of people interested in college sports of a particular conference. Before the defections the Big East had better saturation than it does now. Big XII doesn't have it anymore with the programs that left. ACC more or less still has it in North Carolina, for now. SEC has pretty good saturation across most of the south.
I agree. Once FSU and Clemson leave the focus of the conference will be basketball. That is a perfect fit for UConn. SEC will always be football focus and in my opinion not a good fit for UConn.

Reaction Score
I think best situation is we stay big time in Basketball both men’s and women’s. That is where UConn will have the most success by extracting more money from NCAA basketball tournament. Football will be a lost cause since not enough interest in New England. But again UConn can be a top team in basketball.

We should still fight to grow the program. But the G5 taking steps to have something more substantial to compete for is positive.

The way things are now, you have 1 Champion and 133 failures. It's silly.

Reaction Score

That's why I said "attempted mass exodus". You're right - there are not enough seats at the table outside the ACC for the 7 to be accommodated. It will be like a scene out of Casablanca at Rick's Cafe Americain. There will be a lot of intrigue and skulduggery by the remnants of the ACC to get letters of transit to a P-2 conference headquartered in Lisbon... (Sorry about the Casablanca reference, but somehow I picture the Syracuse AD being a dead ringer for Peter Lorre.)

Reaction Score
Sure because there's not much going on in Kansas City and there's 16 times less people there than in NYC. The Big East tournament atmosphere is way better than the Big 12, Big 10, and ACC tournaments.
Yes, because the world is flat, and there's a danger of falling off the edge just west of the Hudson River.

Reaction Score
The ACC is a better option. I think I just threw up.
It depends how many more teams the Big XII would take. If I'm the Big XII I want to get as many big state schools as I can from the leftover ACC to try and position myself as P3. Let the state legislators get all pissy at the idea of being left out of the top and let them be the conferences shield.

Reaction Score
That's why I said "attempted mass exodus". You're right - there are not enough seats at the table outside the ACC for the 7 to be accommodated. It will be like a scene out of Casablanca at Rick's Cafe Americain. There will be a lot of intrigue and skulduggery by the remnants of the ACC to get letters of transit to a P-2 conference headquartered in Lisbon... (Sorry about the Casablanca reference, but somehow I picture the Syracuse AD being a dead ringer for Peter Lorre.)
I see it

Attachments

• Ugarte.jpg
    Ugarte.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 8
Reaction Score
It depends how many more teams the Big XII would take. If I'm the Big XII I want to get as many big state schools as I can from the leftover ACC to try and position myself as P3. Let the state legislators get all pissy at the idea of being left out of the top and let them be the conferences shield.

If I'm the ACC after Clemson, FSU and UNC depart I raid the Big 12 for Cincy and WVU, add UConn and get the band back together.

Reaction Score

There's not as much going on, but KC has plenty of other sports distractions between KU, Mizzou, KSU, Royals, Chiefs and Sporting.

Reaction Score
If I'm the ACC after Clemson, FSU and UNC depart I raid the Big 12 for Cincy and WVU, add UConn and get the band back together.

I think this only works if they succeed in getting a large payout from Clemson, FSU and UNC. They could use that to help Cinci and WVU buy their way out. That would be a good situation for us. I wish they didn't get bullied into saving Stanford and Cal though. That'll be miserable travel.

Reaction Score
Madison Garden holds 20,000 people. Maybe you could have 40,000 or so people interested in BET out of 9 million. So interest is only in the handful of bars around Madison Square Garden. For example I was in town for the Super Bowl when it was held at Giants Stadium. You could not go anywhere in the city without someone talking about the Suoerbowl. NYC is a professional sports town.
The Super Bowl had more fans than the Big East Tournament? You don’t say.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom