Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 72 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I'm a basketball fan, thus UConn to the BIG has been a wish of mine.

But now my gut says OU will help bolster the BIG West - the Neb connection is huge.

BIG is still a football conference at the end of the day.
On one hand, first law of CR = UConn gets screwed. OU to the B1G might mean they can pick their partner, maybe OSU, maybe UT.

On the other hand, maybe OU has the football pedigree to justify adding UConn at the same time. Best scenario for us is B1G adds four, OU, UT, KU plus an eastern school. Hello.

Reaction Score
Dude actually said, he didn't think Boren was correct about the contract before saying technically he may be correct. Randome dude knows big12 contract better than OU prez.

It's pure insanity. . .

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
maps. Big 12 is a fit as much as the AAC. P5 or bust by any,means.
Well I hope the movers and shakers at UConn (more SH than WM) are doing what they can to communicate with the B12 but
1) there might not be a baseline of interest in what we bring to the table from the B12 schools, esp. OU and UT,
1a) we're at least a year or two away from being able to say we're competent in football which is probably a little higher on the B12's list of priorities than on other P5's lists of priorities
2) leaving aside geography, UConn is a better institutional fit for the B1G or ACC (research / AAU), the B12 is only a slightly better institutional fit for UConn than the AAC, and that's only because of UT
3) in the long-term, B12 appears to be least stable of P5s right now.

tl;dr - B1G or ACC or bust.

pj

Reaction Score
On one hand, first law of CR = UConn gets screwed. OU to the B1G might mean they can pick their partner, maybe OSU, maybe UT.

On the other hand, maybe OU has the football pedigree to justify adding UConn at the same time. Best scenario for us is B1G adds four, OU, UT, KU plus an eastern school. Hello.

If OU is going to the B1G, the B1G will be choosing its partner from Kansas and UConn.

Maybe the first law of CR is changing to "Kansas gets screwed."

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If OU is going to the B1G, the B1G will be choosing its partner from Kansas and UConn.

Maybe the first law of CR is changing to "Kansas gets screwed."

OU to the B1G would provide enough credibility in football that the B1G could make Johns Hopkins a full member and not worry. That in itself has to be encouraging for us (as it lessens the improvement necessary in football in the the very near future) but it does the same for Kansas.

If OU to the B1G is a consideration (this is all speculation) the question then is does the B1G view 16 or 18 as their ideal final number?

Reaction Score
OU to the B1G would provide enough credibility in football that the B1G could make Johns Hopkins a full member and not worry. That in itself has to be encouraging for us (as it lessens the improvement necessary in football in the the very near future) but it does the same for Kansas.

If OU to the B1G is a consideration (this is all speculation) the question then is does the B1G view 16 or 18 as their ideal final number?

I feel like 18 is a little unwieldy. With 16 teams, you could set up divisions so you still play everybody every year in basketball and every other year in football. With 18, I don't know what you do. Two 9-team divisions is basically two different leagues. So then you've either got three divisions of 6 or six divisions of 3.

Reaction Score
I will be shocked if OU selects BIG as landing spot. It makes itself the new frontier, it migrates its recruiting north - when you want to be in a conference w/schools from Cali, TX, or FL, it moves to the rust belt, it moves away from its fanbase ...... Pac12 or SEC or stay.

Reaction Score
I feel like 18 is a little unwieldy. With 16 teams, you could set up divisions so you still play everybody every year in basketball and every other year in football. With 18, I don't know what you do. Two 9-team divisions is basically two different leagues. So then you've either got three divisions of 6 or six divisions of 3.

Sounds like the Big East, no?

Reaction Score

I really, really don't see OU to B1G as an option because the Sooners cannot leave Oklahoma State behind. The state made it clear back when they were flirting with the Pac 12 years ago that the two schools were a package deal.

I don't see the B1G taking two schools from Oklahoma. I think the more likely scenario is that OK/OK State actually bolt for the PAC 12 and KU heads to the B1G as No. 15 with a scramble set off to determine who becomes No. 16.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
I really, really don't see OU to B1G as an option because the Sooners cannot leave Oklahoma State behind. The state made it clear back when they were flirting with the Pac 12 years ago that the two schools were a package deal.
As I remember it, OU and OSU being packaged (along with Texas and Texas Tech) was due to the PAC's paired travel model, not a requirement from the state.

Reaction Score

I don't see the B1G taking two schools from Oklahoma. I think the more likely scenario is that OK/OK State actually bolt for the PAC 12 and KU heads to the B1G as No. 15 with a scramble set off to determine who becomes No. 16.

It would be pretty bonerrific to head off to the B1G with Kansas in tow. That league is instantly a legit contender for best basketball conference. UConn, Kansas, MSU, Maryland, Ohio State, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Purdue? Yeah, there's some flotsam at the bottom (Penn State, Northwestern, Nebraska, Rutgers), but that's a veritable murderer's row. Seven programs with national championships, and 13 who have been to the Final Four at some point (though some of them are quite a long time ago).

Reaction Score
I will be shocked if OU selects BIG as landing spot. It makes itself the new frontier, it migrates its recruiting north - when you want to be in a conference w/schools from Cali, TX, or FL, it moves to the rust belt, it moves away from its fanbase . Pac12 or SEC or stay.

I wouldn't. I think more and more OU fans dismiss the very arguments you make. OU would likely never give up the Red River rivalry, their football tradition is beyond indelible & they're within 2-6 hours drive distance of best recruiting grounds of Tx.

I've mentioned in previous posts a dream of OU, KU, UConn and UT to make the BIG (18) - such a setup would be the most formidable 1-2 punch in the biggest college sports (m. hoops & football).

UT to the BIG is a big what if, though the BIG nearly landed them back in the early 90s. Longhorns already travel up and down the I-35 corridor, going as far north as Ames, IA which is only 3 hours from Minneapolis, maybe less. But, that's the furthest north they go. WVa remains the biggest outlier for them, which can't be easy for Olympic sports. In the BIG they'd have to venture further east and north: PSU, Rutgers and Md.

But I have no idea at this point. OU could very well join the SEC.

I think the Pac12 ultimately sinks in as a really tough option for most current Big12 teams, too much geography coupled with time zone issues. Colorado proved to be the best candidate for the Pac12 due to the time zone, but that school has to deal with much more travel now. The closet road trip for Colorado fans in the Pac12 = just under 8 hours (Salt Lake City). That's pretty absurd. No other p5 conference has that minimum drive time, nearest opponent.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
OKLA put UT on the clock to roll the LHN into a Big 12 network. If UT buys into that then the B12 looks to expand and I think that probably hurts us. If not everyone in the Big 12 is on notice that league is unstable. Hopefully someone decides to hop to the B1G and we finally have our partner.

OK is not AAU. There supposedly has been some back room complaining about Nebraska by B1G presidents. If true that make OK to the B1G a much harder sell.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
FWIW the Red River Rivalry has been around for more than 100 years but UT & OU have been in the same conference for only ~20 years.

I personally don't believe that OU would be the B1G's first choice (while they have a very desirable athletic profile, I don't think they are up to the B1G's academic standards) and I don't believe the B1G would be OU's first choice (my guess is they would prefer the SEC).

If this (or any other turn of events) helps us land in the B1G I would be all for it. Everything else is merely window dressing.

Reaction Score

18 mayb cause scheduling issues, I think the end goal for the B1G is either 16 or 20.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
FWIW the Red River Rivalry has been around for more than 100 years but UT & OU have been in the same conference for only ~20 years.

I personally don't believe that OU would be the B1G's first choice (while they have a very desirable athletic profile, I don't think they are up to the B1G's academic standards) and I don't believe the B1G would be OU's first choice (my guess is they would prefer the SEC).

If this (or any other turn of events) helps us land in the B1G I would be all for it. Everything else is merely window dressing.

I think it depends on what part of Oklahoma you are asking. I think that Boren wants the Big10 first. It has been his goal to raise the academic standard of Oklahoma since he has been there, if the reports are correct, he feels inclusion in the Big10 as the way to do so.

Now the average Sooner fan? I think the SEC is the choice, but it's not as cut and dry as you think.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Sign me up for an OU and UConn B1G expansion. Elite football and instant rival for Nebraska and the western corridor. Elite basketball and instant rival for Rutgers and eastern corridor. Opens up the ability to get into MSG for big games or even future conference tournaments. Also would be quite a carrot for further expansion: Kansas and Texas (more elite basketball and football).

OU. UConn. Get it done. We all know the B12 is run by morons and days are numbered. Be the first national UBER conference that dominates YEAR ROUND sports content. Do it Jim. Do. It.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Sign me up for an OU and UConn B1G expansion. Elite football and instant rival for Nebraska and the western corridor. Elite basketball and instant rival for Rutgers and eastern corridor. Opens up the ability to get into MSG for big games or even future conference tournaments. Also would be quite a carrot for further expansion: Kansas and Texas (more elite basketball and football).

OU. UConn. Get it done. We all know the B12 is run by morons and days are numbered. Be the first national UBER conference that dominates YEAR ROUND sports content. Do it Jim. Do. It.

While I'll don't disagree the Big 10 basketball tourney is at MSG in 2018.

Reaction Score
Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN · 6h6 hours ago
OU’s Boren “pretty much alone” in wanting expansion among Big 12 presidents sources told @ESPN

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom