Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 71 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
http://newsok.com/boren-big-12-should-strive-for-12-team-league/article/5429694

“I think it’s something we should strive for while we have the time, stability, all of that to look and be choosy,” Boren said. “(We) can be very selective about who we want to add. It would have to add value to the conference. I think we should.”

“How many years can this go on?” Boren said. “Finally, it just gets to be really debilitating. I worry about that. That’s something I just worry about long-term about the conference, not short term.”

“The elephant in the room remains the network south of us (Longhorn Network) that has struggled and has in a way as long as it’s there,” Boren said. “And we have done quite well with our network and if anything ever changed, it has value to it which we see. But someday, maybe we’ll get past that other problem as well. It’s a problem.”

“The contract says that our main television contract … if we grow from 10 to 11 or 11 to 12, their payments to us grow proportionally,” Boren said. “So everybody’s share stays the same. If it’s ‘X’ dollars, it stays ‘X’ dollars.

LOL, so basically everything the hillbilly said was completely unfounded.

Reaction Score
Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN · 11m11 minutes ago
Boren says Big 12 would not have to cut TV $$$ pie into smaller pieces with expansion, which qualifies as news.

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken · 15m15 minutes ago
@ChuckCarltonDMN Bowlsby has made several statements completely contradicting that assertion…

Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN · 14m14 minutes ago
@DanWolken I've heard the exact same thing from Bowlsby and others and reported it. Trying to figure this one out.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 12m12 minutes ago
@ChuckCarltonDMN @DanWolken No way to reconcile what Boren said with what has been said before... repeatedly....

Chuck CarltonVerified account
@ChuckCarltonDMN
Reporting on all things Big 12 for the Dallas Morning News. Like the conference I cover, I've improbably survived a couple rounds of realignment.

Reaction Score
Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN · 11m11 minutes ago
Boren says Big 12 would not have to cut TV $$$ pie into smaller pieces with expansion, which qualifies as news.

Chuck CarltonVerified account
@ChuckCarltonDMN
Reporting on all things Big 12 for the Dallas Morning News. Like the conference I cover, I've improbably survived a couple rounds of realignment.

That really is the No. 1 takeaway from today if nothing else from what Boren said today. People can read it as OU frustration with the Big 12, but I think he's laying the groundwork for expansion.

Reaction Score

1. 2:43 PM - 24 Jun 2015
    Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken 49m49 minutes ago
    Dan Wolken retweeted Dr. M. David Rudd

Interesting timing on this Tweet from the Memphis president... https://twitter.com/UofMemphisPres/status/613823561778757632…

CIS9RsXVAAAKt5_.jpg

Dr. M. David Rudd @UofMemphisPres
    Will be announcing new football & basketball facilities soon, stay tuned. Committed to competing at the highest level

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Never really thought UConn was a legitimate candidate for the Big XII. Then again, I didn't think Louisville was a better candidate for the ACC ahead of UConn either, so what do I know?

Reaction Score
Never really thought UConn was a legitimate candidate for the Big XII. Then again, I didn't think Louisville was a better candidate for the ACC ahead of UConn either, so what do I know?
UConn adds value. If they are thinking conference network our mens and women's bball teams are valuable programming. Few schools bring the overall value uconn does. FB needs to step up.

Reaction Score
Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN · 58m58 minutes ago
Bob Bowlsby: "We talk about membership at ever meeting. I think our presidents individually have their own opinions on things." (more)

Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN · 57m57 minutes ago
Bowlsby (more): "President Boren expressed his today. ... His comments are not troubling. This is out there. ,,, (more)

Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN · 56m56 minutes ago
Bowlsby (cont): "I have not gotten the indication that the majority of our presidents feel that way. ... (more)

Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN · 56m56 minutes ago
Bowlsby (cont): "I get the feeling that nothing has changed since we last discussed it."

Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN · 53m53 minutes ago
Bowlsby said at some point majority in Big 12 may feel "that we should get bigger. I have not heard at this point that they feel that way."

Reaction Score
Based on Bowlsby's comments, it's pretty obvious that Boren is making it clear that OU is saying "fix this issue with the LHN so we can have our own conference network or we're going to start looking for a new home".

The question that has always been out there is can OU make a break without little brother OSU? If they can make a move on their own then the SEC & B1G are likely in play. If they have to take OSU with them the only possibility is the PAC & IMO unless Texas come with them the PAC has no interest in any combination of schools that doesn't include UT

Reaction Score
Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN · 37m37 minutes ago
Bowlsby confirms pro rata clause in TV contracts would match shares if league expands. But revenue from NCAA, CFP would be split more ways.

Reaction Score
Based on Bowlsby's comments, it's pretty obvious that Boren is making it clear that OU is saying "fix this issue with the LHN so we can have our own conference network or we're going to start looking for a new home".

The question that has always been out there is can OU make a break without little brother OSU? If they can make a move on their own then the SEC & B1G are likely in play. If they have to take OSU with them the only possibility is the PAC & IMO unless Texas come with them the PAC has no interest in any combination of schools that doesn't include UT

Pac-12 would probably add schools out of desperation.
Because otherwise, if conferences ever decide to make membership uniform, they'll be looking to add Boise, UNLV and San Diego St.

Reaction Score
Stewart Mandel ‏@slmandel · 1h1 hour ago
As others have noted, significant revelation today about the Big 12's TV deal. If everyone's share is guaranteed, expansion far more viable

Stewart Mandel ‏@slmandel · 1h1 hour ago
I think the Big 12 has been using the "smaller pie" excuse to avoid saying, we don't think any of the schools out there are good enough.

Stewart MandeVerified account
@slmandel
Covering college football and mocking brackets for Fox Sports and FS1.

Reaction Score
Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken · 2h2 hours ago
I can't tell you today whether Big 12 is expanding. But after today and revelation about TV deal, I will never trust what they say.

Dan Wolken covers college football and occasionally other things for @USATODAY.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Take a half share, a quarter share... Whatever... There are ways to make the economics work...

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
I actually cannot believe we're talking about UCONN in the Big12. It's absolutely insane and no way are we their top pick or a mere top 5. You guys ever look at a map? We are closer to the freaking SEC east than them..See our Football?

The American even makes more sense than this. I am all about P5 but our fit is B1G or ACC

Reaction Score
I actually cannot believe we're talking about UCONN in the Big12. It's absolutely insane and no way are we their top pick or a mere top 5. You guys ever look at a map? We are closer to the freaking SEC east than them..See our Football?

The American even makes more sense than this. I am all about P5 but our fit is B1G or ACC
maps. Big 12 is a fit as much as the AAC. P5 or bust by any,means.

Reaction Score
All of the focus that gets put on these tv contracts only shows the folks talking about them have no knowledge of the media business. A school(s) which is able to lineup media dollars to carriers can easily justify inclusion without dilution. Major sponsors to an espn or fox can move the dial. I don't know Memphis or UCF very well, but i know the Cincy has that capability. However, i still get the feeling from folks i've talked to that know more than i, that they will end up in the acc at some point. Unless acc can get their network together, it's hard to say what's happening there. However, once the remaining 4 or 5 p5 candidates start dropping, the options for the other conferences dwindle. The next movement may well be a preemptive strike, rather than a logical move like the b12 adding needed numbers. Lord knows they seem to not be able to agree on anything.

Reaction Score
Landthieves ‏@LandThieves · 2h2 hours ago
Boren pretty much nuked everyone's notions of the tv deal. Straight up, that info was never coming out.

@LandThieves It is a huge revelation. If I wasn't on vacation I'd have written about it

Landthieves ‏@LandThieves · 2h2 hours ago
@DanWolken 5 years of "added value" speeches going in a 3 minute interview after a BOR meeting. incredible

@LandThieves It really is. I mean, that's a major detail people from the league basically lied about publicly every time they opened mouth

Reaction Score
Wow, I can't believe Boren would defy the Dood like this. Boren is a loose canon. Does anybody really think Boren's sources (including himself) are more solid than the Dood's? Just crazy talk. . .
Dude actually said, he didn't think Boren was correct about the contract before saying technically he may be correct. Randome dude knows big12 contract better than OU prez.

Reaction Score
I'm a basketball fan, thus UConn to the BIG has been a wish of mine.

But now my gut says OU will help bolster the BIG West - the Neb connection is huge.

BIG is still a football conference at the end of the day.

Reaction Score
Nobody saw Rutgers as a BIG target either.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom