Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 64 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Here's the article that talks about the Pac-12 issues in more depth:

http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/uofusports/2458013-155/utah-ad-chris-hill-talks-stadium

Their issues start with the fact that most of the conference doesn't have winter weather. Add to that a huge chunk of the population in those same areas are recent immigrants, so likely prefer soccer to football or basketball. It's a weak sports market, saved only by its sheer size. While people in Wisconsin and Minnesota are turning on the BTN to watch hockey as the snow falls, people in CA and AZ are surfing or mountain biking. The SEC will do better, but it won't match the B1G either. Snow = ratings.

Reaction Score
...that said, the one relative weakness that Big Ten has is the weakness (and frankly the lack of popularity) of college baseball in the Midwest and most of the Northeast.

The other conferences have stronger late spring/summer programming because of that and I know the Big Ten has been putting some efforts into growing the sport. Thankfully those months tend to be not as valuable anyway for TV programming in general but it doesn't hurt them that much in net $$$ but it'll be interesting to see if they figure something out

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
...that said, the one relative weakness that Big Ten has is the weakness (and frankly the lack of popularity) of college baseball in the Midwest and most of the Northeast.

The other conferences have stronger late spring/summer programming because of that and I know the Big Ten has been putting some efforts into growing the sport. Thankfully those months tend to be not as valuable anyway for TV programming in general but it doesn't hurt them that much in net $$$ but it'll be interesting to see if they figure something out

This is why the Big10 has made a push for lacrosse. They are building up as the spring sport here in the Midwest and having bluebloods in Maryland and Johns Hopkins really helps. More good teams are needed, but it's a start.

Reaction Score
This is why the Big10 has made a push for lacrosse. They are building up as the spring sport here in the Midwest and having bluebloods in Maryland and Johns Hopkins really helps. More good teams are needed, but it's a start.
NJ is a growing Lax state similar to Long Island and above NYC and upstate and CNY. Middle and upper class moms rather their kids play Lax than FB...I'm afraid Lax popularity is coming at the expense of FB!?!

Reaction Score
NJ is a growing Lax state similar to Long Island and above NYC and upstate and CNY. Middle and upper class moms rather their kids play Lax than FB...I'm afraid Lax popularity is coming at the expense of FB!?!

They're not the same season, so I'm not sure what the issue would be there.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
They're not the same season, so I'm not sure what the issue would be there.

The travel model is nearly year 'round. You'd probably have travel in the summer/fall with winter conditioning and then the HS spring season.

Reaction Score
The travel model is nearly year 'round. You'd probably have travel in the summer/fall with winter conditioning and then the HS spring season.

This would be very unusual. A lot of kids play on summer teams, but there isn't much lacrosse happening in the fall at all before the college level.

Reaction Score
This would be very unusual. A lot of kids play on summer teams, but there isn't much lacrosse happening in the fall at all before the college level.

South Florida has fall ball for ages K through high school including tournaments.

Reaction Score
It does happen at the high school level as coaches pressure kids to pick a sport and not diversify.

I'm actually in the high school sport space and it happens more than you'd think. Makes no damn sense to me.

Reaction Score

How many Indian reservations in NJ? From what I see, Lax is hugely popular here in the Fall.

Reaction Score
Thank you sir may I have another.
OKTC_conference_revenue.vadapt.955.high.0.jpg

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...kes-every-conference-richer-except-one-050415

Reaction Score
How many Indian reservations in NJ? From what I see, Lax is hugely popular here in the Fall.
Not sure about Indians? I see more cowboys lol...nah I left Jersey in the eighties for NYC and greater Albany,NY but still have a mom,friends and siblings there and notice many who WOULD have played FB when I was coming up now playing more and more Lax...upward mobility? Who knows but parents seem more inclined to keep their kids away from tackle FB into the safer but more expensive Lax....hate to say it but FB is or seems to be following the path of boxing!! And inner city kids prefer hoop's so the sport of FB is shrinking little by little south evidenced by the scarcity of talent the further north and east you go much to my dismay. Don't see a reverse of the trend either. The future is in Lax in the fall but will spectators care? It seems the B1G is betting on it.

Reaction Score
I
I've been in Arizona and Cali near and on reservations and never once saw a game of Lax though i get your point. Its non Indians who are pushing Lax now..this ain't the seventies or eighties anymore. Natives are making up less and less to the point i almost forgot it was rooted in Native culture. Truth is all's i care about are the scores...looks like a fun game too play though?

Reaction Score
I

I've been in Arizona and Cali near and on reservations and never once saw a game of Lax though i get your point. Its non Indians who are pushing Lax now..this ain't the seventies or eighties anymore. Natives are making up less and less to the point i almost forgot it was rooted in Native culture. Truth is all's i care about are the scores...looks like a fun game too play though?

Indians aren't the same everywhere. Lacrosse is an Iroquois sport. It's not like the New York Indians exported it to the Apaches.

There are a ton of Indian kids upstate who play lacrosse, and most High School teams around here have quite a few members. This is probably also why the National Lacrosse League has multiple franchises in upstate New York but also Canada.

Remember this from a few months back?

http://www.wgrz.com/story/news/loca...ancels-lacrosse-game-with-lancaster/24493765/

Half the Akron, NY team was Indian.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I guess we are not getting any key tweets.
Every time I open this thread it is to see a credible source announce "UConn to the B1G", every time.

Of course I'd take an AAU announces UConn as new member...

Reaction Score
Indians aren't the same everywhere. Lacrosse is an Iroquois sport. It's not like the New York Indians exported it to the Apaches.

There are a ton of Indian kids upstate who play lacrosse, and most High School teams around here have quite a few members. This is probably also why the National Lacrosse League has multiple franchises in upstate New York but also Canada.

Remember this from a few months back?

http://www.wgrz.com/story/news/loca...ancels-lacrosse-game-with-lancaster/24493765/

Half the Akron, NY team was Indian.

The ball game of the southeastern indians was known as "the brother of war" (they had the attitude right from the start). It is not as directly related to Lacrosse as the northeastern game since, unlike the northeast indians, they didn't use a single three foot pocketed stick....but the physicality, injuries, and sometimes deaths, could relate to football.

The pitting of town against town...sometimes with the object of hitting the goal in the opponent's village several miles away, made for great rivalries, I'd imagine.

Reaction Score
Dan WolkenVerified account
‏@DanWolken
Here in Phoenix where behind these doors all the world's problems are being solved.

CEQesGFWAAEXY4n.jpg:large

Dan Wolken @DanWolken · 10m 10 minutes ago
FWIW, I expect the Big 12 meetings will focus heavily on championship game. Despite Bowlsby comments last week, I sense lots of opposition

Dan Wolken @DanWolken · 8m 8 minutes ago
We will see how opinions on champ game evolve after they talk but going into meetings it seems like many ADs need to be convinced

Gretchen

Civilly Disobedient
Reaction Score
Every time I open this thread it is to see a credible source announce "UConn to the B1G", every time.

Of course I'd take an AAU announces UConn as new member...
AAU – a step in the right direction if you want the B1G. But as you know, many (some) schools with this accreditation and, generally speaking, within or near the B1G’s current footprint haven’t received an invitation, yes? Troubling times.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom